Author Topic: DLX board sizes are always off  (Read 10771 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: DLX board sizes are always off
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2021, 04:35:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Wheelbase is middle of the hole to middle of the hole.
[close]
This is what I always thought too but Fos measures distance between the inside edges of the holes. Maybe this is the source of the confusion.
ohh didn’t know that, about Fos. And I’ll keep it in mind when measuring my dmodw board again

ballintoohard

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2021, 06:08:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like to ride the 8.5 x 31.8 14.25 wb dlx shape and the wb has always appeared to measure a bit small. I even saw online a shop had the wb as 14 on the dot. My last two have been marked IV and have both measured 8.5 on the dot.

Interestingly enough I was at my local shop the other day and and they had a polar deck (same wood shop as dlx) that was stickered and marked as an 8.625 but was actually an 8.
[close]

This is why I stopped skating dlx board because they were so inconsistent. I thought it was just me. It’s also a headcase between shapes and wb and the concave number.

But I think it’s just bbs. I just got 2 polar 8.25s from the new drop and one is a touch longer then the other and they are labeled 14.125 WB but when I measured they are both 14.25. The with seems right but I haven’t measured it.
[close]

Nah the Polar 8.25 is always 14.25 and the 8.38 is always 14.38. I dunno why they list otherwise. It's at least consistent.
[close]

No way. I’m saying the sticker says 14.125 but it measures 14.25 from middle of the hole to middle of the hole.
I also had a Harrington deck, that slick deck with the American flag on it in an 8.38 and it measured 14.5. I was bummed because it felt so long. I was hoping it would be what the sticker said, 14.38 which is about my max. I think it’s just bbs. I think they are just rushing to get wood out. Same with PS. The last 3 Quasi’s I skated felt weird. Like the wood chipped within a week or so and they sogged out in 3 weeks.

Yes, I agree with you on sticker vs. actual, but this has always happened to me with Polar. Weird about the flag deck.

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 09:12:03 PM »
It’s pretty funny how out to lunch there mesurments can be but they still feel the need to use mesurements like 8.06 - they cant even get it within 1/8” half the time whats the point

Fact. I love DLX, and only ride their decks, but listing nuanced decimals like .06 (or the ilk) is laughable when compared to what you're actually presented with.

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Wafools

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 12:06:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like to ride the 8.5 x 31.8 14.25 wb dlx shape and the wb has always appeared to measure a bit small. I even saw online a shop had the wb as 14 on the dot. My last two have been marked IV and have both measured 8.5 on the dot.

Interestingly enough I was at my local shop the other day and and they had a polar deck (same wood shop as dlx) that was stickered and marked as an 8.625 but was actually an 8.
[close]

This is why I stopped skating dlx board because they were so inconsistent. I thought it was just me. It’s also a headcase between shapes and wb and the concave number.

But I think it’s just bbs. I just got 2 polar 8.25s from the new drop and one is a touch longer then the other and they are labeled 14.125 WB but when I measured they are both 14.25. The with seems right but I haven’t measured it.
[close]

Nah the Polar 8.25 is always 14.25 and the 8.38 is always 14.38. I dunno why they list otherwise. It's at least consistent.
[close]

No way. I’m saying the sticker says 14.125 but it measures 14.25 from middle of the hole to middle of the hole.
I also had a Harrington deck, that slick deck with the American flag on it in an 8.38 and it measured 14.5. I was bummed because it felt so long. I was hoping it would be what the sticker said, 14.38 which is about my max. I think it’s just bbs. I think they are just rushing to get wood out. Same with PS. The last 3 Quasi’s I skated felt weird. Like the wood chipped within a week or so and they sogged out in 3 weeks.
[close]

Yes, I agree with you on sticker vs. actual, but this has always happened to me with Polar. Weird about the flag deck.

I guess you’re one of the lucky ones then. I bought it too because one of my friends had an 8.38 polar and said his measured out to be 14.38
We both will skate around the same sizes and mostly polar and every now and then we will end up with different numbers. I just think with everything going on it’s hard for bbs to keep up. I noticed a lot of companies out of bbs all have 8.5s with 14.5 WBs now when it used to not be the case. It’s just crazy to me because it feels like every other week there’s another FA/Hockey drop.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2021, 12:28:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Weird. The Polar site lists the 8.25 as having a 14.125wb so I bought one and the wheelbase is spot on. Widthwise I would say it's a 8.125 though.

I also think it's just basically a BBS problem right now. Bought a 8.28 Real in Summer and got an 8.06. Got a replacement AH from DLX that was the right shape but a 14.38wb. After that I kinda resolved just to buy DLX in person only for the time being. Now I would say it's the rule for all BBS
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 12:49:43 AM »
Not to discount measurements from you guys but as others had said in other threads, when you measure with a tape that may or may not actually be true to size, you will always get those kind of measurements.

Example: The end of a few tape measures I have seen have stretched or come away a bit which will always give you an extra mm or three which means the board is actually a mm or three wider, longer, etc than what the tape measure is showing.

I had an interesting "discussion" with one guy who kept saying his boards are not the correct size, but his tape measure was out, when we measured it against a metal angle rule that could not change.

That is not to say that these recent decks are not different to specs or whatever since covid, as I am yet to get more new wood since things got going again, but I know I have always found DLX boards measure to the specs for the most part (the full shapes have always been bigger / longer / wider though).

Check your tape measure, or measure from the ten inch mark and see if it makes any difference.

My used board pile that I just measured, the blue eagle 8.5 x 31.8 x 14.25 wheelbase is spot on, as are my 8.5 x 32.25 x 14.38 wb boards, same 8.38 x 32.25 x 14.5 wheelbase in three different DLX boards, but the 8.25 x 32 x 14.38 wb seems more like 8.28 in width, which I always found so that is no surprise.  The older black eagle I used to have, maybe twenty or more, were always 8.125 x 32 x 14.25 wb too.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2021, 01:18:35 AM »
I use a tailors tape because it matches my delicate sensibilities
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2021, 03:47:07 AM »
Not to discount measurements from you guys but as others had said in other threads, when you measure with a tape that may or may not actually be true to size, you will always get those kind of measurements.

Example: The end of a few tape measures I have seen have stretched or come away a bit which will always give you an extra mm or three which means the board is actually a mm or three wider, longer, etc than what the tape measure is showing.

I had an interesting "discussion" with one guy who kept saying his boards are not the correct size, but his tape measure was out, when we measured it against a metal angle rule that could not change.

That is not to say that these recent decks are not different to specs or whatever since covid, as I am yet to get more new wood since things got going again, but I know I have always found DLX boards measure to the specs for the most part (the full shapes have always been bigger / longer / wider though).

Check your tape measure, or measure from the ten inch mark and see if it makes any difference.

My used board pile that I just measured, the blue eagle 8.5 x 31.8 x 14.25 wheelbase is spot on, as are my 8.5 x 32.25 x 14.38 wb boards, same 8.38 x 32.25 x 14.5 wheelbase in three different DLX boards, but the 8.25 x 32 x 14.38 wb seems more like 8.28 in width, which I always found so that is no surprise.  The older black eagle I used to have, maybe twenty or more, were always 8.125 x 32 x 14.25 wb too.

The discrepancies can be revealed WITHOUT a tape measure. A deck that is supposed to be 31.8 should not sometimes be shorter, and sometimes be longer, than a 32” when held against each other. No tape measure needed. Moreover, every time I’ve measured an 8.25, they are spot on. I cannot say that about the 8.5 (using same tailors tape). Last, these same discrepancies have been noted by multiple people, on the same decks (e.g. 8.25 are consistent, 8.5, not so much).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 03:53:56 AM by Sedition »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2021, 04:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The discrepancies can be revealed WITHOUT a tape measure. A deck that is supposed to be 31.8 should not sometimes be shorter, and sometimes be longer, than a 32” when held against each other. No tape measure needed. Moreover, every time I’ve measured an 8.25, they are spot on. I cannot say that about the 8.5 (using same tailors tape). Last, these same discrepancies have been noted by multiple people, on the same decks (e.g. 8.25 are consistent, 8.5, not so much).

Yes I get that and I would think from popular opinion, that it is not going to change any time soon.

I even said before, when I lined up about five to ten of the same in both the 8.25 and 8.5 boards when they all came in, back to back all on their sides, some would be a bit wider and some a bit less, some on the ends too when all standing up, but for people to say they ALWAYS were different sizes to what was on the sticker, even when checking the board in question, they turned out to not always be the case for my shop.

In 8.5 there were two regular shapes I had a lot of, the 8.5 x 32.25 x 14.38 wheelbase which I thought was way more comfortable than the other shorter one which was 8.5 x 31.8 x 14.25 wb, but I wonder if some people have some of both of these boards thinking they were supposed to be the same.

There was also the shape, correct to sticker being 8.4 x 32 x 14.25 wb as well as the 8.38 x 32.25 x 14.5 wb, both of those I still have some of in my own stash, who other shops had listed as 8.5 and I knew they were not.

I am yet to see or check any new boards post covid shutdown, so yes it is definitely possible for some or all new boards to be different to stickered sizes, but almost all the older ones I have still are as per what was described.

This is a game changer in measuring boards too, which makes it a lot easier to sit the metal square behind the deck on the counter and see where it sits, looking horizontally at it for the width.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 05:08:32 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2021, 05:41:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes I get that and I would think from popular opinion, that it is not going to change any time soon.

I even said before, when I lined up about five to ten of the same in both the 8.25 and 8.5 boards when they all came in, back to back all on their sides, some would be a bit wider and some a bit less, some on the ends too when all standing up, but for people to say they ALWAYS were different sizes to what was on the sticker, even when checking the board in question, they turned out to not always be the case for my shop.

In 8.5 there were two regular shapes I had a lot of, the 8.5 x 32.25 x 14.38 wheelbase which I thought was way more comfortable than the other shorter one which was 8.5 x 31.8 x 14.25 wb, but I wonder if some people have some of both of these boards thinking they were supposed to be the same.

There was also the shape, correct to sticker being 8.4 x 32 x 14.25 wb as well as the 8.38 x 32.25 x 14.5 wb, both of those I still have some of in my own stash, who other shops had listed as 8.5 and I knew they were not.

I am yet to see or check any new boards post covid shutdown, so yes it is definitely possible for some or all new boards to be different to stickered sizes, but almost all the older ones I have still are as per what was described.

This is a game changer in measuring boards too, which makes it a lot easier to sit the metal square behind the deck on the counter and see where it sits, looking horizontally at it for the width.

That’s what it all comes down to; consistency. I couldn’t really careless if an 8.4 was actually an 8.38 or whatever, as long as it is ALWAYS that way. The real problem arises when you are hoping for X but Y appears.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2021, 09:53:28 AM »
Friend got an 8.5 this morning. I asked if I could measure it before he set it up. Measured right behind front trucks. Board on side. Ruler flat on ground.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2021, 06:05:57 PM »
Friend got an 8.5 this morning. I asked if I could measure it before he set it up. Measured right behind front trucks. Board on side. Ruler flat on ground.

Looking good at 8 and 3 /8 unless the ruler didn't start right at the end, but also not meaning to be a smart ass.  :)

What board was it?  Just the name of the graphic even.

Definitely a better way to get a good measure.

I would also be curious as to wheelbase, or what sticker was on it too, but I ask too much sometimes.

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2021, 06:28:34 PM »
Damn this is crazy my 8.5 real is also 8.38 I knew something wasn't right when my wheelbite marks were so close to the edge of my board. I skate 159s on my 8.5 but with the board size being so small,  I feel like I need to size up my board or down size my trucks now. The madness continues.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2021, 06:41:08 PM »
Damn this is crazy my 8.5 real is also 8.38 I knew something wasn't right when my wheelbite marks were so close to the edge of my board. I skate 159s on my 8.5 but with the board size being so small,  I feel like I need to size up my board or down size my trucks now. The madness continues.

I’ve done 159s on 8.38, and liked it, but yeah. Kinda muffles the flip tricks.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2021, 06:56:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Looking good at 8 and 3 /8 unless the ruler didn't start right at the end, but also not meaning to be a smart ass.  :)

What board was it?  Just the name of the graphic even.

Definitely a better way to get a good measure.

I would also be curious as to wheelbase, or what sticker was on it too, but I ask too much sometimes.

Real Oval. 31.8. 14.25 claimed wheel base was spot on. Measured my 8.25, too. That was spot on for 8.25 for 8.25.

Personally, I have never once seen an 8.5/14.25/31.8 that measured 8.5. They have all been 8.38 like ones shown in this thread.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2021, 05:10:27 AM »
So I wonder at what point sizes got messed up or changed.

All the remaining boards I have in stock (which were from before covid closed everything down) are the correct size as per sticker for width in the 8.5 eagles and all others including 8.0 8.125 8.38 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.75 and 9, except for the 8.25 decks, which I checked again today and definitely are 1/16 wider, coming in at 8 5/16 on both the tape measure and the metal ruler, not 8 4/16 = 8 1/4 which I don't have pics of measuring but I do have pics of when I got all the decks in if that would make it any nicer to see.  (Yes they are now considered old stock.)

Again not doubting the current issues, but I also wonder if anyone has put it to Deluxe or should put it to them that they have issues with the sizes.  From the main page, top right, HIT US UP and go from there.

https://www.dlxsf.com/

I don't have any pics of the last few orders I received, but this might be the last full pic of DLX wood I did get in (and a couple of others - Doom sayers and DGK on the wall).

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:19:07 AM by Mbrimson88 »

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2021, 06:21:39 AM »
I seem to be the exception with a 8:38 Full that was actually 8.5  :o

I ONLY skated Real Heavyweights for about a year because I was breaking boards a lot. This is about the time I got board madness and my board felt super wide. Sure enough, my 8.3 was an 8.5. Out of the 8ish I skated, I’d say maybe 3 of them ended up measuring just shy of 8.5

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2021, 06:23:55 AM »
...except for the 8.25 decks...

Mind blown. The 8.25 has always been the most consistent one in my expeirence. 

Wafools

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2021, 08:47:19 PM »
So I wonder at what point sizes got messed up or changed.

All the remaining boards I have in stock (which were from before covid closed everything down) are the correct size as per sticker for width in the 8.5 eagles and all others including 8.0 8.125 8.38 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.75 and 9, except for the 8.25 decks, which I checked again today and definitely are 1/16 wider, coming in at 8 5/16 on both the tape measure and the metal ruler, not 8 4/16 = 8 1/4 which I don't have pics of measuring but I do have pics of when I got all the decks in if that would make it any nicer to see.  (Yes they are now considered old stock.)

Again not doubting the current issues, but I also wonder if anyone has put it to Deluxe or should put it to them that they have issues with the sizes.  From the main page, top right, HIT US UP and go from there.

https://www.dlxsf.com/

I don't have any pics of the last few orders I received, but this might be the last full pic of DLX wood I did get in (and a couple of others - Doom sayers and DGK on the wall).

I really think that even though bbs makes an 8.25 they have different 8.25 for dlx boards. Like the press is similar to other 8.25s but a little different.  I think that with the pandemic to pump boards out they are just using the same press for all of them and putting the old sizing stickers on causing some discrepancies.
But who knows. It’s just a theory. I mean I have 2 polar 8.25s and when I lay them on top of each other they don’t line up.

I was also thinking about this while in the car with my wife today and I was wondering if where they sit in the mold when they are pressed plays a part in the accuracy of sizes, ie how much concave they have. Like a deeper concave is going to be a touch shorter.
Example laying a piece of paper on a table and measuring it you’re going to get what, 8in?  Now If you lift the sides up like a skateboard and re measure it, ifs a little shorter. Same if you full on taco the paper if any of that makes sense. Could be wrong but who knows.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2021, 09:35:01 PM »

I really think that even though bbs makes an 8.25 they have different 8.25 for dlx boards. Like the press is similar to other 8.25s but a little different.  I think that with the pandemic to pump boards out they are just using the same press for all of them and putting the old sizing stickers on causing some discrepancies.
But who knows. It’s just a theory. I mean I have 2 polar 8.25s and when I lay them on top of each other they don’t line up.

I was also thinking about this while in the car with my wife today and I was wondering if where they sit in the mold when they are pressed plays a part in the accuracy of sizes, ie how much concave they have. Like a deeper concave is going to be a touch shorter.
Example laying a piece of paper on a table and measuring it you’re going to get what, 8in?  Now If you lift the sides up like a skateboard and re measure it, ifs a little shorter. Same if you full on taco the paper if any of that makes sense. Could be wrong but who knows.

It was said there were dedicated presses just for DLX boards, but right now, they might just be going full steam ahead with whatever they get pressed from any or all presses.

That would explain how some boards have had the I to IV and some do not, as well as some people finding non DLX boards with these on them, eg an Alien board I think someone put up recently.

My only post covid board just arrived, an 8.38 eagle, IV mold and orange top, so I couldn't be happier.  Measures just right for what I want (slightly bigger than 8.38 but not quite 8.5), feels great to stand on, so will set it up and see how it skates compared to the older pre covid boards I have.

Wafools

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2021, 12:21:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It was said there were dedicated presses just for DLX boards, but right now, they might just be going full steam ahead with whatever they get pressed from any or all presses.

That would explain how some boards have had the I to IV and some do not, as well as some people finding non DLX boards with these on them, eg an Alien board I think someone put up recently.

My only post covid board just arrived, an 8.38 eagle, IV mold and orange top, so I couldn't be happier.  Measures just right for what I want (slightly bigger than 8.38 but not quite 8.5), feels great to stand on, so will set it up and see how it skates compared to the older pre covid boards I have.

Oh man. You hit the jackpot. That’s kind of why I had to step back from dlx boards. Between finding the right wb and size and then I like a flatter board so finding one that was stamped 4/5 was such a headcase.

Enjoy that one. You got something special.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2021, 01:41:22 PM »
Related/unrelated: Saw 8.25 Full this week. The roman numeral stamp was bigger, and more pronounced, than any previous stamp I have ever seen (and I only ride DLX decks). In this case it was IV stamp. New presses?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
Related/unrelated: Saw 8.25 Full this week. The roman numeral stamp was bigger, and more pronounced, than any previous stamp I have ever seen (and I only ride DLX decks). In this case it was IV stamp. New presses?

Did you get to stand on it or feel the concave?

Maybe just new stamp.

Oh man. You hit the jackpot. That’s kind of why I had to step back from dlx boards. Between finding the right wb and size and then I like a flatter board so finding one that was stamped 4/5 was such a headcase.

Not bragging, just for show and tell, more than anything, IV stamp included.

Wafools

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2021, 12:41:48 PM »

[/quote]

Oooh. That red top sheet is a no go for me dawg. 😂

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »

Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

what’s wrong w red top ply? Just superstitious?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2021, 01:32:19 PM »
Looks Orange tho

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2021, 01:38:00 PM »
Looks Orange tho

Yellow top stain is my nemesis.

ballintoohard

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2021, 03:39:56 PM »
6 Polar 8.25s in 3 years all have been identical with the 14.25 WB

Glurmpz

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2021, 03:47:03 PM »
I miss when DLX boards were almost always top and bottom layers dyed, plus the second from top and bottom dyed as well. They look so much nicer with that lay-up, and it was practically their signature for years. Seems like they've abandoned it now, though I do see Polar running that lay-up. In classic DLX colors too, using yellow or pink for the top and bottom with a dark teal or blue for the second layers. Used to see that combo a lot in DLX boards.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2021, 03:48:22 PM »

what’s wrong w red top ply? Just superstitious?

Absolutely NO to red tops!! Don't really know why, but I just know I don't like them! One board I did have with a red top skated fine, but it always weirded me out so I sold it or gave it away pretty much new.

This one is orange and I am always more happy on orange or yellow tops for some weird reason.  This was even before I saw videos of Frank Gerwer taking all the yellow ones.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 04:00:15 PM by Mbrimson88 »