Author Topic: DLX board sizes are always off  (Read 10799 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX board sizes are always off
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2021, 06:02:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How are the 8.75”? Don’t see those too often, only online
[close]

The last one I actually had / saw here was the white eagle, but that was true to size / sticker (and always has been).

There is the Real oval, Krooked eyes, AH white eagle and other specialty graphics, Grant Taylor Curbside Service graphic I saw someone had, in the setup thread.

width: 8.75"
length: 32.625"
wheelbase: 14.625"
nose: 7.125"
tail: 6.625"

medium concave
standard popsicle shape

Like this one, as already posted in the other thread, but pics of top, bottom and side too:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/real-team-oval-pearl-patterns-8-75-deck-multi_p140351
[close]

I normally ride the 8.25/14.38. For some unknown, bewildering reason, I decided a few months back that I wanted to try out that 8.75 white eagle. The above dimensions are spot on, except for my length measurement was 32.43", that is prolly because I measured tip-to-tip, and didn't follow bend of nose/tail.

Unrelated: The 8.75" has the exact same shape as the 8.25", it's just bigger. It was a fun board, but I went back to the 8.25" pretty quick.   
[close]
the shorter length would be welcomed. And the wb was spot on 14.625”? Can’t say i see that wb measurement often at all. Did you ride mostly transition with it? Got some 151’s coming and wondering which dlx pairing would work well with them

I think sometimes the exact or precise measurements are a bit funny, but that is more so going by the specs and not so much using a tape measure for the two decimal places.

Another option for a decently wide board is the new Cardiel, coming in at 8.62 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, as per the AH site:

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/fall20/ah-2020-del4-04.jpg

One shop I saw had it as 8.6 x 32.4 with 14.6 wb but that still seems shorter than the other DLX 8.75 boards and the 8.6 size works well on Thunder 151s or Indy 159s (had them both set up previously) so it would just be availability.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2021, 06:09:16 AM »

More just for the pic - top and bottom - great shape looking at it here:

https://www.slamcity.com/products/anti-hero-862-cardiel-lovers-ii-skateboard-deck

Anti Hero John Cardiel Pro skateboard deck
• Assorted wood stains
• Width 8.62”
• Length 32.25"
• Wheelbase 14.5"
• Concave Medium

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2021, 06:43:14 AM »

https://www.slamcity.com/products/anti-hero-862-cardiel-lovers-ii-skateboard-deck

• Assorted wood stains
• Width 8.62”
• Length 32.25"
• Wheelbase 14.5"
• Concave Medium

nice thanks. and what’s with that cardi hella tight constriction?
 Slam city has great too/bottom pics, it really helps. That lovers series has to be one of worst artwork series I’ve seen in a while though.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2021, 07:11:58 AM »
Expand Quote

• Assorted wood stains
• Width 8.62”
• Length 32.25"
• Wheelbase 14.5"
• Concave Medium

[close]
nice thanks. and what’s with that cardi hella tight constriction?
 Slam city has great too/bottom pics, it really helps. That lovers series has to be one of worst artwork series I’ve seen in a while though.

Had that board, skated it twice. Just too big (long) for me. Re: Hella tight, I think that’s just something Cardiel would say, and it’s slightly shorter/shorter wb than other boards that width. I thought the wb was more 14.6, but I’m forgetting if I got that or 14.5 tbh.
- a short person

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2021, 10:13:17 AM »
I think sometimes the exact or precise measurements are a bit funny...

They are hilarious, in that totally absurd way.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »
the shorter length would be welcomed. And the wb was spot on 14.625”? Can’t say i see that wb measurement often at all. Did you ride mostly transition with it? Got some 151’s coming and wondering which dlx pairing would work well with them

The .62 WB often appears on the 8.5 Full deck. When I measured my 8.75" eagle with a tailor's tape it was like 10/16th or something (e.g. .625), so yeah, spot-on. And yup, the 151s would work great with it (I had Indy 159s on it). And NO, I did NOT mostly ride tranny with it! How absurd is that? I set-it up with 55m Classics (ride 52mm on my 8.25) and even put RAILS on it! I wanted to go outside my comfort zone. It was a tank, but it was fun. And oddly....I broke my leg in 2019. Didn't skate for a year. Hardware. Two surgeries. Started up again in spring 2020. Had to learn to walk again, let alone skate. Where am I going with this? I oddly did my first fakie ollie to fakie 5-0 grind again (since breaking my leg) on the 8.75" tank! I actually liked it more on street than I did on transition!   

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The .62 WB often appears on the 8.5 Full deck. When I measured my 8.75" eagle with a tailor's tape it was like 10/16th or something (e.g. .625), so yeah, spot-on. And yup, the 151s would work great with it (I had Indy 159s on it). And NO, I did NOT mostly ride tranny with it! How absurd is that? I set-it up with 55m Classics (ride 52mm on my 8.25) and even put RAILS on it! I wanted to go outside my comfort zone. It was a tank, but it was fun. And oddly....I broke my leg in 2019. Didn't skate for a year. Hardware. Two surgeries. Started up again in spring 2020. Had to learn to walk again, let alone skate. Where am I going with this? I oddly did my first fakie ollie to fakie 5-0 grind again (since breaking my leg) on the 8.75" tank! I actually liked it more on street than I did on transition!   
that’s great! Got a pic?  Well done coming back from your broken leg and surgeries. Good to hear bc I don’t ride much transition either.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2021, 10:42:04 AM »
that’s great! Got a pic?  Well done coming back from your broken leg and surgeries. Good to hear bc I don’t ride much transition either.

Thank you for the kind words. A pic of...what? The 8.75"? My broken leg? Skating (that is me doing a b/s disaster in sig file...pre-leg break)? They removed some hardware on the second surgery. I kept it. I now use it to scrape grip tape when setting up a new deck. ;D  And I actually skate a lot of mini ramp these days (I'm old)...the wb on the 8.75" seemed a bit sluggish on the 4' and 5' ramps I often skate. It would probably be a killer deck on bigger ramps.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2021, 11:19:18 AM »
While we're talking about dlx shapes. Anybody have the dimensions for the 8.28 shape they put out semi-regularly? I for some reason cannot find them anywhere

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »
While we're talking about dlx shapes. Anybody have the dimensions for the 8.28 shape they put out semi-regularly? I for some reason cannot find them anywhere

Yup. That guy has not been around for AWHILE. Here are my measurements when I had one (I actually keep this shit in an Excel sheet because I am super DLX deck nerd).

Length: 31.5 (measured tip to tip, not following bend of nose/tail)
Width: 8.18 (yes, you read that correctly)
WB: 14.125
Nose: 6.875
Tail: 6.437

The specs decal for that one read 8.28, 31.7, 14.12. It was definitely a small, short deck w/very round nose/tail.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2021, 12:25:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup. That guy has not been around for AWHILE. Here are my measurements when I had one (I actually keep this shit in an Excel sheet because I am super DLX deck nerd).

Length: 31.5 (measured tip to tip, not following bend of nose/tail)
Width: 8.18 (yes, you read that correctly)
WB: 14.125
Nose: 6.875
Tail: 6.437

The specs decal for that one read 8.28, 31.7, 14.12. It was definitely a small, short deck w/very round nose/tail.

Appreciate it! Nice and thorough. Been enjoying screwing around on an 8 inch deck with 139s and I think I'll pick up this shape though due to the shortness. Also doesn't hurt that this is rumoured to be what Mason rides. New antihero drop has one with these dims fyi if you're wanting another

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2021, 12:34:05 PM »
Appreciate it! Nice and thorough. Been enjoying screwing around on an 8 inch deck with 139s and I think I'll pick up this shape though due to the shortness. Also doesn't hurt that this is rumoured to be what Mason rides. New antihero drop has one with these dims fyi if you're wanting another

Glad to be of help. I loved the 8.28 for tre flips, but hated it for everything else. It felt too cramped for me. Like, on ollies it didn't feel like I could fully expand my legs to get full force/pop. 5-0 grinds felt unstable, like I had both feet on the tail, etc. It's really mind-blowing what small changes to WB and length can have. 

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
I loved the 8.28 for tre flips, but hated it for everything else. It felt too cramped for me. Like, on ollies it didn't feel like I could fully expand my legs to get full force/pop. 5-0 grinds felt unstable, like I had both feet on the tail, etc. It's really mind-blowing what small changes to WB and length can have.
THIS 100%
Disclaimer :5'7"

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2021, 01:26:23 PM »
Expand Quote
I loved the 8.28 for tre flips, but hated it for everything else. It felt too cramped for me. Like, on ollies it didn't feel like I could fully expand my legs to get full force/pop. 5-0 grinds felt unstable, like I had both feet on the tail, etc. It's really mind-blowing what small changes to WB and length can have.
[close]
THIS 100%
Disclaimer :5'7"

I'm 5'11...so, you can do that math. :)

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2021, 05:24:35 PM »
You know what about DLX boards are also of? DLX board prices! Scrolling CCS today and saw this:

$74.95 for normal, non limited DLX boards. And most other brands are between $62-$66 on CCS, for reference. That raise in price we have all talked about for years is finally upon us!
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2021, 05:37:31 PM »
You know what about DLX boards are also of? DLX board prices! Scrolling CCS today and saw this:

$74.95 for normal, non limited DLX boards. And most other brands are between $62-$66 on CCS, for reference. That raise in price we have all talked about for years is finally upon us!

CCS sucks as is usually more expensive than other places. When I see my local hit those numbers, or other on-line stores with a better rep, I’ll believe it.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2021, 06:19:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Glad to be of help. I loved the 8.28 for tre flips, but hated it for everything else. It felt too cramped for me. Like, on ollies it didn't feel like I could fully expand my legs to get full force/pop. 5-0 grinds felt unstable, like I had both feet on the tail, etc. It's really mind-blowing what small changes to WB and length can have.

Not dlx, so wrong thread, but i had a doomsayers that was 8.28, also bbs, also short, and it was the shit. Just in general. Maybe was 14”, maybe I wasn’t so precious. That board was great tho.
Also, short

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2021, 07:03:15 PM »

Maybe with covid there were some shapes that were put on the back burner, but I had one through the shop, the AH Cardiel Yuppy deck which was 8.28 (yes bigger than 8.25) but it was short, so I passed it on to another guy I know who likes shorter boards.

https://fasttimes.com.au/antihero-yuppy-dog-deck-cardiel-8-28.html

Same dimensions as this one too:

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/anti-hero-john-cardiel-jalopi-skate-co-8-28-skateboard-deck

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

There is another one out, which is the short 8.12 that is more common, currently out in the latest AH run, the Taylor in the Lovers series, and the Krooked Cromer and Drehobl.

Specs say 8.12 x 31.38 with 14.0 wheelbase and I have seen one in another shop, but have not measured it.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/fall20/ah-2020-del4-04.jpg

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall20/kr-2020-del-4-06.jpg

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall20/kr-2020-del-4-08.jpg

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2021, 07:10:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not dlx, so wrong thread, but i had a doomsayers that was 8.28, also bbs, also short, and it was the shit. Just in general. Maybe was 14”, maybe I wasn’t so precious. That board was great tho.
Also, short

Good timing!

I had just widened the search to "8.28 deck" and those Doomsayers also came up, currently in stock, as are the new old AH reissues which are on the 8.28 size board, as per the pic of CCS above in this thread.

Width: 8.28″
Length: 31.65″
Wheelbase: 14.125″

They are out there still, it would seem.

The Real Mason oval is also the 8.28 with shorter length and wb, as per CCS site, but there might still be more.

ballintoohard

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2021, 08:27:39 PM »
I hated that 8.28 shape, but love a Polar 8 that is only .2in longer. The Polar has more fingers of flat for sure.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2021, 08:44:05 PM »
I hated that 8.28 shape, but love a Polar 8 that is only .2in longer. The Polar has more fingers of flat for sure.

Polar 8 was perfect, when I skated indys.

I want to try one of the 8.12s, Julien’s board was frequently on that size, never could catch it at the shop. The real goat.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2021, 09:43:20 PM »
That lovers series has to be one of worst artwork series I’ve seen in a while though.

Re graphic - I have seen a couple of people use the excess grip to get rid of the animals from that board, which turned out really nice, wood grain, big ANTI HERO down lower, etc.

Funny though, they really are a "wow love it!" or "damn get rid of it!" kind of graphic with not much in between ground.

sorry

• Rep: -14
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2021, 03:56:52 PM »
thought I would weigh in: I have two AH that were both marketed and had a sticker with 8.5 and actually ARE 8.5, so all good and proper
also have one 8.5 santa cruz, the width is all the same on all three

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2021, 04:33:32 PM »
Some awesome new boards that may or may not be the right sizes from Real and Antihero up now.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/

https://www.realskateboards.com/

Probably not long before Krooked is up too.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »

My shop still sells them for 50 to 55 dollars. Sometimes 40 depending on how big the brand is.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2021, 05:04:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
My shop still sells them for 50 to 55 dollars. Sometimes 40 depending on how big the brand is.

And that is why you don't go to CCS. Try like any other on-line shop. You won't see those prices.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2021, 08:35:47 PM »
Some awesome new boards that may or may not be the right sizes from Real and Antihero up now.

No Twin Tail and no Cardiel football. Probably a good thing as I have a good few boards to get through before I should even think of getting anymore. But I hope both of those come back this summer.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2021, 09:14:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No Twin Tail and no Cardiel football. Probably a good thing as I have a good few boards to get through before I should even think of getting anymore. But I hope both of those come back this summer.

I think someone from DLX maybe on insta said the twin were definitely in production, so yeah might drop later, still the Krooked drop yet too...

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2021, 11:33:17 PM »
Looking forward to Krooked drop...hoping they either give Barbee a brown bomber shape, or just put his name on the 9.8 Gonz so i can finally buy that deck!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2021, 03:53:49 AM »
Looking forward to Krooked drop...hoping they either give Barbee a brown bomber shape, or just put his name on the 9.8 Gonz so i can finally buy that deck!
he was just featured with 2 boards the clouds and flames shapes. You think they do another unique for him so soon?