Author Topic: DLX board sizes are always off  (Read 10792 times)

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
Re: DLX board sizes are always off
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2021, 04:02:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Looking forward to Krooked drop...hoping they either give Barbee a brown bomber shape, or just put his name on the 9.8 Gonz so i can finally buy that deck!
[close]
he was just featured with 2 boards the clouds and flames shapes. You think they do another unique for him so soon?

No...im just hoping...but i still have 2 brown bombers to go through...so also hope that if they do, they do it in a few months time

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2021, 07:22:39 AM »
My Quasi was listed at 31.75, but is much shorter than a Baker OG shape at 31.5. I’ll admit, I was a bit annoyed by this.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2021, 08:04:51 AM »
My Quasi was listed at 31.75, but is much shorter than a Baker OG shape at 31.5. I’ll admit, I was a bit annoyed by this.
If the Quasi is PS Stix, that's is because PS measures with tape pressed down against the kicks to get the "true length."

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2021, 08:25:56 AM »
what width was this?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2021, 08:29:37 AM »
I had a dream about the new 8.4 Peter Hewitt Grimple deck last night.

Damn it, I might have to open the wallet and  step down from an 8.5 to see what it is going to unlock for me.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
what width was this?

8.125. The RU Dumb deck. Delaminated after three total hours of light skating, too. Yeah it was PS Stix.

“True length”, that’s just annoying.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2021, 09:35:14 AM »
8.125. The RU Dumb deck. Delaminated after three total hours of light skating, too. Yeah it was PS Stix. “True length”, that’s just annoying.
Yeah, it's weird how companies have different philosophies when it comes to just measuring numbers. PS measures deck length/width with the tape pressed in, uses his own fingers as a form of measurement of flat (two of his are probably 3 of mine.) Heroin measures wheelbase from the edge of the holes as opposed to the center of the holes... but only sometimes. It becomes tedious to try and memorize each company's way of measuring.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2021, 09:50:16 AM »
Expand Quote
8.125. The RU Dumb deck. Delaminated after three total hours of light skating, too. Yeah it was PS Stix. “True length”, that’s just annoying.
[close]
Yeah, it's weird how companies have different philosophies when it comes to just measuring numbers. PS measures deck length/width with the tape pressed in, uses his own fingers as a form of measurement of flat (two of his are probably 3 of mine.) Heroin measures wheelbase from the edge of the holes as opposed to the center of the holes... but only sometimes. It becomes tedious to try and memorize each company's way of measuring.

Yes!!!!

Why can't measure it properly? The width of a finger is anyone's guess
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2021, 02:31:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I miss when DLX boards were almost always top and bottom layers dyed, plus the second from top and bottom dyed as well. They look so much nicer with that lay-up, and it was practically their signature for years. Seems like they've abandoned it now, though I do see Polar running that lay-up. In classic DLX colors too, using yellow or pink for the top and bottom with a dark teal or blue for the second layers. Used to see that combo a lot in DLX boards.
[close]

It is funny with the different colours and the different periods of how they were pressed, but for a long time there was top and second top coloured, then second bottom, but I don't think people really liked the plain bottom so they switched it up.  Baker boys still do it that way, one colour on top with a colour through the middle, so the bottom is plain.

I should take a pic or two of a few different ways the DLX boards have changed over the years too, as they were very much standard in certain ways for a long time.

Now it looks like top, second, then bottom only coloured from all the recent boards, and different top to bottom, whereas some companies always do the top and bottom the same.
[close]

Please do this. Would be super interested.

So I finally got round to getting out some boards, and although I couldn't take good close ups, this one is probably the best to show the different colour layups, on the third pic.  Info as per instagram post:

Also to note in the third pic which is very era specific, from what I can recall all the same up until just after this time, the layup of the coloured ply, which were always top (yellow), second top (purple or other colour) and second bottom (same as the second top purple) with a raw layer right on the bottom. Some that I had also had a slightly different mix, with a top coloured (orange) and middle coloured (purple) only, which is still the same for some other companies who use the same woodshop.
Boards after that time, maybe 2009 to 2010 onwards all had coloured top and coloured bottom layers and that has remained a constant since. It has varied somewhat, but for a while had two top and two bottom, usually opposing colours right beside each other, but the top was the same as the bottom, second top same as the second bottom, eg top yellow, green, plain x three in the middle, then green and yellow on the bottom too as per the pics of the decks side.
Lastly boards changed again, so they often had top (yellow), opposing second top (green), plain x four in the middle, then a bottom coloured ply only (yellow, same as the top). These other boards in the last pic are mostly the Antihero black eagle 8.12 that I had so many of from about 2009 until maybe 2019 when I went up to bigger boards, but I still have quite a few.
If you hadn't guessed and as I have said before, yellow tops were the best, as were orange tops, and I bought more of them than any other colours.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2021, 03:28:32 AM »
Anyone know if Krooked has changed woodshops ?

I just recieved the Kevin Taylor guest board yesterday, it had Roman numeral II engraved in between the front bolts. First time I’ve seen this for BBS.

It had the Made in Mexico sticker, but I don’t remember having a BBS this sloppy. The edges are sharp and some parts rougher than others, there’s places you can tell too much paint has been applied (leak marks) and it’s the widest 8.25 i’ve ever had, it’s somewhere in between an old 8.38 Killing Floor that’s on my wall and an 8.5 Passport I skated. I can’t find my tape measure, so I can’t measure it to the exact mm, but it’s wide for an 8.25

I wanted it for my wall, but those paint leak marks shine weird in the light.

I’ll be sticking to South Central once again, I find them to be the most consistent.

Your post made me think of this thread, where people often say the 8.5 feels more like 8.3 and the 8.25 feels wider than any other 8.25 out there.

Still BBS, always DLX but I would be interested in pics of what you are talking about, the graphic issue that is.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2021, 09:02:00 AM »

Here’s some photo evidence. This is a brand new Real 8.5 stamped I. Compared to a grimplestix deck of the same dimensions but stamped IV it measures and appears a hair thinner. Also something I noticed is that these decks are slightly closer to 8.5 towards the front of the deck and then slim down towards 8.38. And maybe I’m just bad at measuring wb but that definitely looks to be more of a 14 than 14.25. Not mad at all I love this shape and dimensions just interesting

I returned this exact deck last week for that reason, was setting up an 8.5" on some new 149s, and the taper was insane, even at its widest point the deck wasn't near 8.5"

went with an 8.5" hockey in the end as i ideally wanted true 8.5" and straight rails.

Deffo seemed on the small side for an 8.5", reminds me of the Crailtap G027 which is supposedly 8.25", but in reality nowhere near.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2021, 10:59:25 AM »
Expand Quote

I just recieved the Kevin Taylor guest board yesterday, it had Roman numeral II engraved in between the front bolts. First time I’ve seen this for BBS.

It had the Made in Mexico sticker, but I don’t remember having a BBS this sloppy. The edges are sharp and some parts rougher than others, there’s places you can tell too much paint has been applied (leak marks) and it’s the widest 8.25 i’ve ever had, it’s somewhere in between an old 8.38 Killing Floor that’s on my wall and an 8.5 Passport I skated. I can’t find my tape measure, so I can’t measure it to the exact mm, but it’s wide for an 8.25

I’ll be sticking to South Central once again, I find them to be the most consistent.
[close]

Your post made me think of this thread, where people often say the 8.5 feels more like 8.3 and the 8.25 feels wider than any other 8.25 out there.

Still BBS, always DLX but I would be interested in pics of what you are talking about, the graphic issue that is.

The Roman numeral thing on the other post was my bad, I didn’t know, this is my first DLX board in five years.

Just measured it, and it’s a hair over 8 3/8, so slightly under 8.4 even if it had the 8.25 sticker on it.

As for the paint/dye, I don’t know if I’m the one freaking out, but as I said that’s all I see when light hits it, and that sucks for a limited edition wall hanger.

There’s three streaks, only one really shows up when I take a picture, but when I have the board in my hand I can see all three clearly. The one in the middle goes all the way up the nose but can’t be seen on photo.

https://ibb.co/ZNYrghn
https://ibb.co/wgKzzWZ
https://ibb.co/P4ByZrW
https://ibb.co/yXrj90r

Also, the sanding is much rougher and a little uneven in some places, never had that problem with BBS, this one just looks dowright sloppy. It’s not warped though, so that’s good.

I thought I’d skate it, but 8.4 is too wide for me. Guess I’ll put it in the darkest corner of my living room.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2021, 05:08:44 PM »
^I could be off my ass here but that looks like a bad sand job. It's even a sorta curved line like the arc you would do with a hand sander. I think they just missed a few spots on that bottom ply?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2021, 05:27:04 PM »
^I could be off my ass here but that looks like a bad sand job. It's even a sorta curved line like the arc you would do with a hand sander. I think they just missed a few spots on that bottom ply?

That could very well be it, I can feel it with my fingers.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2021, 06:17:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The Roman numeral thing on the other post was my bad, I didn’t know, this is my first DLX board in five years.

Just measured it, and it’s a hair over 8 3/8, so slightly under 8.4 even if it had the 8.25 sticker on it.

As for the paint/dye, I don’t know if I’m the one freaking out, but as I said that’s all I see when light hits it, and that sucks for a limited edition wall hanger.

There’s three streaks, only one really shows up when I take a picture, but when I have the board in my hand I can see all three clearly. The one in the middle goes all the way up the nose but can’t be seen on photo.

https://ibb.co/ZNYrghn
https://ibb.co/wgKzzWZ
https://ibb.co/P4ByZrW
https://ibb.co/yXrj90r

Also, the sanding is much rougher and a little uneven in some places, never had that problem with BBS, this one just looks dowright sloppy. It’s not warped though, so that’s good.

I thought I’d skate it, but 8.4 is too wide for me. Guess I’ll put it in the darkest corner of my living room.

Those marks remind me more of when boards are in boxes and someone drags the deck out across the nose / tail of another board, not necessarily tearing the shrink wrap but definitely making marks on the boards.

I recall some people being so rough with the decks when packing / getting them out that would always leave marks on the boards, which don't really matter much if you are skating them, but I have seen people not buy boards or get upset when the "perfect graphic" seems not so perfect with things like that.

Regarding the size, I would be curious as to the dimensions, as those were supposed to be 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb.

Almost seems that a lot of boards that were supposed to be as per the catalog ended up on about 8.4 sized decks, whether they were 8.5 or 8.25 as listed and advertised.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2021, 08:57:27 PM »
Let's go back to circa 2015 or so. We noticed something at the local shop. All of the DLX boards had the round "size stickers" on them. These stickers all included the width, length, and wheelbase. Well, that is, all but ONE. The blue classic eagle always came with a sticker that ONLY listed width. More often than not, these decks had a "dot" on the top stamp, instead of the roman numeral. We started paying close attention to the dimensions on the blue eagles that were coming in. While the shape was basically the same, the dimensions were all over the place, esp. the wheelbase. It ranged from 14.1, 14.25, 14.38, and if I recall there was even a few 14.5. We surmised that the width-only "size sticker," and the "dot" somehow indicated the DLX did not know, or was not in control, of how these decks were coming out. Production wise, something was certainly off with those decks, at least in terms of dimension consistancy. Around the time AH started listing wheelbase on their web site, is when the blue eagle "stabelized," and we started seeing it arrive with the "size sticker" that included all three dimensions.

Did anyone else notice, or remember this? I had forgotten about it, until a few weeks ago when I saw an 8.28" Mason Silva (Natas graphics). That is supposed to have a 14.1' wheelbase. It didn't. It had a 14.25"...and it also had a "dot" on the top sheet, and not a roman numeral. Memories of the blue eagle incidents then came flooding back...
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Bruiser603

• Rep: 10
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2021, 10:15:18 AM »
I've recently been on a purchasing spree.  Hitting local shops and buying and trying several boards.  The DLX board shapes and concave spoke to me.  So I've purchased 3 of them.  A kyle walker 8.5 with the bird and teal color.  Great quality board, great shape, is wearing well.  An Evan smith grimple stix (grimple snips 8.25), this too is a quality shape and build.  My third purchase is the Natas art baby blue Mason silva 8.2 something.  This board is just different, physical shape is somewhat similar but concave is considerably flatter.  Also the Mason Silva quality is lower.  The wood is softer and after sliding the nose and mid board the graphic kind of peel off..and underneath as one of the veneers or something felt like a cheap wood like Luan or cardboard feeling.  Definitely felt of a different quality.  But the other two are awesome decks, great shape, pop, durability. 

Don't mean to de-rail just wanted to comment on the previous post.  I'll have to measure to see if what I have is consistent with some of the findings.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2021, 07:00:53 AM »

Been a minute, so how are the latest drop of boards measuring up?

All the most recent DLX decks I had that actually had I to IV were true to size (including the 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wb), but the few without those stamps and only the dot were different dimensions to what the graphic was listed as.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2022, 10:28:54 AM »
Pisses me off that even the average 8.25 decks have slightly different measurements. I want the exact same thing everytime and would like to ride some more graphics.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2022, 10:50:34 AM »
Nah dude the normal 8.25x14.38 is always the same. It's actually an 8.3, but literally always the same unless it's labeled FULL SE

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2022, 10:57:29 AM »
Nah dude the normal 8.25x14.38 is always the same. It's actually an 8.3, but literally always the same unless it's labeled FULL SE

Ok than the shops specs I looked at are totally off.

Never had a wheelbase over 14.25. you think it will affect file tricks? Only concerns are tricks like 540 shuvs or forward flips.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2022, 03:09:33 PM »
Is the Ishod 8.3 actually 8.3? It feels smaller.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2022, 04:09:20 PM »
My recent Manderson and Haus F|SE were dimensionally accurate/as listed; I was hoping the Haus would be closer to 8.3 but it's actually 8.25".

As for the Ishod twin (or Worrest) I've skate quite a few of them; they're always accurate. They're so specialized my guess is they'd have to be.

If I had to guess, the 'specialized' shapes: TT, Manderson, FULL SEs (and perhaps that 'Julian' shape), get better eyes on them during manu.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 06:39:26 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2022, 04:27:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ok than the shops specs I looked at are totally off.

Never had a wheelbase over 14.25. you think it will affect file tricks? Only concerns are tricks like 540 shuvs or forward flips.

Can't comment as those are 2 tricks that I don't think anyone should be doing in the first place.

Well, the twin tail makes it 1/4" shorter and the kicks taper pretty strongly so it does feel Pinner.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2022, 04:46:12 PM »
Do decks like the classic oval 8.25 real have the exact same specs than the 8.25 classic eagle?

Checked the specs of two shops and each shop said different specs. Even the specs of the exact same decks were off in those shops.

Are there that many different shapes of 8.25 real/ah/ krooked decks? Like slightly difference in tail length or wheelbase.

What I like about brands like FA ; it’s always the exact same deck just with a different graphic.

The DLX thread is a good place for this post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.0

Quite simply, yes all the normal 8.25 sized boards are the same across the DLX range, that is anything from Real, Antihero and Krooked (as well as There and Unity now too), but it is different to the Twin shape, the Full SE shape or other new shorter specific shapes (Mis Registered Eagle), so there can easily be a few different board shapes in 8.25 in their range, up to four or five at last count.

Most likely the shop has measurements listed incorrectly or haven't specified which shape it is, but that normal 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb is more like 8.3 in width and wider than other stock 8.25 sized boards, when put on top of each other.

Normal:  8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb
Full SE: 8.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb
Twin: 8.25 x 31.8 with 14.33 wb
Real short version: 8.25 x 31.9 with 14 wb
AH short version: 8.25 x 31.5 with 14 wb

As to FA and most other brands, they usually have their own specific sizes too, possibly only one option on 8.25 decks, which would be used across various graphics and catalogs as most brands don't change up their shapes and sizes too often once they have them sorted.

I can't really think of too many other brands that have such an assortment of different sizes and shapes, but there are a few that have a short and a long version of the same widths, none as complex as DLX though.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2022, 04:56:54 PM »

From having all these boards together in one place, I have these measurements to add:

The 8.3 twin is wider than the 8.25 twin, but not the normal 8.25 regular board, pretty much the same width.

The normal 8.38 is significantly wider than the 8.3 twin too (almost 8.5 really), but overall the 8.3 twin is actually 8.3 in width.

The board listed as 8.5 x 31.85 with 14.25 wb (blue eagle) from the latest drop is only just wider than the 8.3 twin but not as wide as the normal 8.38 board, yet the much older blue eagle with same listed dimensions, from maybe ten years ago is way wider than everything else talked about so far and is actually 8.5 at the widest point, but the shape does taper significantly from front to back.  All other boards are fairly straight through the rail.

* Sorry I don't mean to sound overbearing.  Just one of those things I like to check, especially with all these boards together.

The 8.25 Full SE is exactly 8.25 wide as well, not wider like the normal 8.25 boards.  I haven't seen either of the Real or AH shorter boards to be able to check measurements, so cannot comment on those.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 05:05:22 PM by Mbrimson88 »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2022, 06:12:08 AM »
Thanks!

Anybody knows what shape supreme decks in 2016 had?
I was skating an 8.25.
Is it the same as an 8.25 AH?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2022, 04:47:03 PM »
Thanks!

Anybody knows what shape supreme decks in 2016 had?
I was skating an 8.25.
Is it the same as an 8.25 AH?

I would have a guess and say most likely not.

Going back that far, I don't know what wood those boards were on, but think they would have been about 8.25 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb, which is more common than anything else.

The weirdest thing with any of my old boards, is they work better in my head than they do in real life.

There are so many different concaves and shapes, but to be fair they all end up much the same for someone who is not super in tune with their equipment, or has crazy OCD like me, so in thinking back to whatever you had, don't live in the past and get something that works for you right now.

The DLX 8.25 board is the most commonly skated in the whole DLX range, by both their pro riders and everyone else, but given everyone is different, find something that works for you, either from what they have or other boards from whoever you can get your hands on.

Go into shops if you can, stand on them and feel out what might work better.  That is the best thing to do.