Author Topic: Alex Olson???  (Read 18142 times)

Skatefool3000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
Alex Olson???
« on: January 04, 2021, 11:24:38 PM »
How can you guys constantly shit on Alex Olson and how his skating “declined” from kid to adult - but still worship Heath Kirchart???? Give the dude a break maybe he just didn’t give a fuck anymore either?

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
Re: Alex Olson???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 04:35:52 AM »
I usually shit on a toilet, but i would be keen to shit on this Alex Olson you're on about, especially if it has a bidet function, for those times i'm not clean snappin' 4's
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 04:37:51 AM »
AO is a saint. Alex, if youre listening... let's hangout.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 04:55:09 AM »
hi Alex

Panettone

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 05:05:34 AM »
Alex is cool

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 05:23:08 AM »
How can you guys constantly shit on Alex Olson and how his skating “declined” from kid to adult - but still worship Heath Kirchart???? Give the dude a break maybe he just didn’t give a fuck anymore either?

Well for starters.... Name one memorable part. And how dare you even compare the two in any way shape, form, or fashion. AO will never be has handsome or memorable as KH. Even graphic wise. lol

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 05:23:45 AM »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 05:28:16 AM »
will this be the new 917 video's intro? this thread's replies like a powerpoint slideshow with sick ass effects such as soft fade, morphs, reveals, checkerboard....

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 05:33:34 AM »
In all seriousness he's the perfect skateboarder. Pop, style, great trick selection and taste. A playfulness brimming with anger and attitude. His unwillingness to play the game but ability to throw down as well as anyone out there. Every clip you see is savory.

He's no Heath because Heath was like the ultimate blue collar skater who earned his pension of respect, but he holds his own.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 06:04:55 AM »
i liked that back 3 kickflip in the yellow nikes in that paris clip 3 years ago. or was it a front 3 kickflip? idk shit looked cool

free max b
FREE MAX B

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 06:07:07 AM »
AO is maybe my favorite skater ever and has been since a kid
no he is not Heath Kirchart, very different styles, no need to compare the two

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 06:18:41 AM »
Don't hate AO, just thinking he's wasting a big opportunity with 917. You can't really blame FA for stealing your riders when you sit on your promising company doing nothing. They started off strong but Alex seems pretty over it these days.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 06:41:07 AM »
Olex Alson.

Don

• Rep: -31
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 06:42:30 AM »
Waiting for some inspiration I guess, don’t force the magic

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 06:45:57 AM »

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 07:06:17 AM »
For being a "son of art" and a "child prodigy" has actually done a lot better than expected.

Look at Evan Hernandez for example.

Also, take his father as role model and Alex is doing very good.

I think he has just no need to push it because he didn't have to make it, he was born right into the industry, was linked with the best companies at the time, to begin with and now has figured out he doesn't wanna go that extra mile.

Good for him.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 07:20:51 AM »
Don't hate AO, just thinking he's wasting a big opportunity with 917. You can't really blame FA for stealing your riders when you sit on your promising company doing nothing. They started off strong but Alex seems pretty over it these days.

I find this kinda frustrating. I’ve gotten a few Bianca things over the years and the 917 videos are some of my favorites yet most the 917 product seems so lazy. And then the way Cyrus describes AO’s stewardship of the company in his pals interview was just comical. But perhaps that’s part of the charm of small businesses run by colorful characters how thoroughly unlike big corporations they are.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 07:23:34 AM »
Olson’s skating and art direction are both pretty cool imo, but he also seems like a real airhead. I heard some interview where he seemed to imply that Dylan would still be alive if he had done more yoga. Anyway I kinda like watching him get frustrated by people leaving 917, it’s funny, like a cartoon character who keeps running into walls but never learns his lesson. The sound system graphic he did for 917 last season was sick as hell too, bu pt I only ever saw it in an Everslick model wtf. Just adds to the mystique of AO’s extremely funny combo of super sick and slightly lame.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 07:34:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I find this kinda frustrating. I’ve gotten a few Bianca things over the years and the 917 videos are some of my favorites yet most the 917 product seems so lazy. And then the way Cyrus describes AO’s stewardship of the company in his pals interview was just comical. But perhaps that’s part of the charm of small businesses run by colorful characters how thoroughly unlike big corporations they are.
Yeah I feel like skating is set up right now to eat up 917 too. It just need to produce more for the industry to eat up.

michael scarn

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 07:54:27 AM »
Heath isn't as pretentious and hasn't clung on to skateboarding. He's moved on to bigger and better things

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 08:04:32 AM »
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 08:11:29 AM »
Alex is sick

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 10
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 08:19:27 AM »
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »

im sure margins are small, and he doesnt want to invest in help that would actually build the brand. hes probably busy as hell trying to make graphics, get the teams approval on shit, sell shit etc

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 08:57:01 AM »
I rate Alex massively. Him and Heath are chalk and cheese... so they've both worn all white, now let's compare..?

Like many of you guys I wish 917 was flourishing a lot more with riders etc. and I'm sure Alex would love to turn all of them pro. But surely it's a money thing though? I just don't think small board companies are cut out for loads of pros, especially if they aren't selling loads of boards.

Both FA and Polar are hugely success because of soft goods sales, 917's soft goods aren't that great because Bianca Chandon exists which basically its own thing. So essientially if you like fairly nice clothes and you're into 917, you'll probably buy BC, which probably isn't benefitting any of the 917 riders. - Not saying it's a bad thing, BC came first after all but I just think it's a lil bit of a conundrum.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 09:32:44 AM »
I thought AO was generally admired but folks just groused about how he dropped off as a (tremendously enjoyable) skater and company owner.  Even then, it's easy to cut him some slack since Dill poached half of 917, which had to suck for him.  Biggest issue I could see having with him now is how little he seems to be doing for Cyrus and Max, who are fucking treasures. But even then those guys are doing a great job staying relevant on their own, so what's even the harm?

I wish AO the best, even if he's over skateboarding, and I bet most people here probably feel the same way.  That said, I bet he gets a second wind here before long and we might even see how the yoga and organic produce have been treating him.   

BALAKOV

• Rep: 17
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 10:32:43 AM »
this guy is actually comparing Olson's career Heath's .. Damn

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:19 AM »
Took me the longest time to admit that he’s one my favorite skaters ever.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 10:35:37 AM »
I've always enjoyed everything Chalex has put out post Craig, and feel it's a a good amount of output (not the last year .5 or so). His companies aren't for me product wise.

Alex is a favorite, Heath is the favorite.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 10:42:51 AM »
You guys remember when AO asserted his dominance to that overweight tourist in cherry. That shit was so HELLRIDE!