Author Topic: 1/6/2021  (Read 21872 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: 1/6/2021
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2021, 07:55:12 PM »
At what point do the Proud Boys and other storming the capitol get labeled ‘fascist’?

I hate Trump and the worst elements of American culture he let flourish, but i was hesitant to call him a fascist. A lot because some professors who study this said that while Trump ticked a lot of the boxes, he specifically lacked ideology, and a militant ‘Brownshirt’ group to enforce his claims.

Well, Trump’s ideology is just pure narcissism. And the Proud Boys are clearly the brownshirts. As well as the police who support Trump and enabled the protesters.

Fascism is here on full display. And its being coddled.

here's something from r/askhistorians that explains contemporary American fascism as something uniquely American and unlike other fascists groups. You say that he lacked ideology, but MAGA is the ideology, it, like the ideology of other fascists, reaches for the past or a period of earlier purity.

"I can't take credit for the below, but am posting on behalf of /u/commiespaceinvader who worked on this but had to go to sleep.
Fascism is by its nature, by its design a violent movement and so it is no stranger to both coups and other attempts to take political power and political space by violence. Indeed, violence and its public display is an essential ideological feature of fascism as a political ideology.
Unlike the advocates of liberal democracy, it is not reason or modernization, which drives forward and unlike communists, it is not material relationships. For the Fascist the engine of history is conflict, whether between nations, peoples or races. History is a constant struggle in which a community of mythical qualities needs to assert itself in order to gain dominance over others. Dominance is the core goal and must be asserted. And only if the right and rightful people dominate will a golden age begin.
The political utopia of the Fascist differs greatly from liberal or communist visions of utopia: Both of the latter are built on a vision of a utopian future that needs to be built and achieved. The Fascist on the other hand looks to the past for its utopia since most fantasies of dominance are historically justified. Whether it is the return to the Roman Empire or the mythical Lebensraum of German kings, all Fascist utopian visions are built upon a return to a hazy, mythological past in which the world was right. And such a return must by necessity be a violent one, one that engages in the eternal conflict with the supposedly sinister forces that have lead to the lapse and prevent a return.
According to scholar of fascism, Robert Paxton, it is not an ideology like others but understands itself as a political practice more than anything else:
In a way unlike the classical "isms", the rightness of fascism does not depend on the truth of any proposition advanced in its name. Fascism is "true" insofar as it helps fulfill the destiny of a chosen race or people or blood, locked with other peoples in a Darwinian struggle, and not in the light of some abstract universal reason. (...) The truth was whatever permitted the new fascist man (and woman) to dominate others, and whatever made the chosen people triumph.
Fascism rested not upon the truth of its doctrine but upon the leader's mystical union with historic destiny of his people. (...) The fascist leader wanted to bring his people into a higher realm of politics that they would experience sensually: the warmth of belonging to a race now fully aware of its identity, historic destiny, and power; the excitement of participating in a vast collective enterprise; the gratification of submerging oneself in a wave of shared feelings, and of sacrificing one's petty concerns for the group's good; and the thrill of domination. Fascism deliberate replacement of reasoned debate with immediate sensual experience transformed politics, as the exiled cultural critic Walter Benjamin was first to point, into aesthetics. And the ultimate fascist aesthetic experience, Benjamin warned in 1936, was war.
Fascist leaders made no secret of having no program. (...) Fascism radical instrumentalization of truth explains why fascists never bothered to write any casuistical literature when they changed their program as they did often and without compunction. Stalin was forever writing to prove that his policies accorded somehow with the principles of Marx and Lenin; Hitler and Mussolini never bothered with any such theoretical justification. In the same vein, Paxton goes on to define Fascism as
a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victim-hood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion.

Lastly I’ll leave you with what Robert Paxton writes about Fascism and America:
The United States itself has never been exempt from fascism. (...) Much more dangerous [than movements like the American Nazi Party, which utilize already established tenants and creeds from Europe] are movements that employ authentically American themes in ways that resemble fascism functionally. The Klan revived in the 1920s, took on virulent anti-Semitism, and spread to the cities of the Middle West. In the 1930s, Father Charles E. Coughlin gathered a radio audience estimated at forty million around anti-communist, anti-Wall Street, pro-soft money, and – after 1938 – anti-Semtic message broadcast from his church in the outskirts of Detroit. (...) Today a "politics of resentment" rooted in authentic American piety and nativism sometimes leads to violence against some of the very same "internal enemies" once targeted by the Nazis, such as homosexuals and defenders of abortion rights.
Of course the United States would have to suffer catastrophic setbacks and polarization for these fringe groups to find powerful allies and enter the mainstream. I half expected to see emergence after 1968 a movement of national reunification, regeneration, and purification directed against hirsute antiwar protesters, black radicals, and "degenerate" artists. I thought that some of the Vietnam veterans might form analogs to the Freikorps of 1919 Germany and Itlaian Arditi, and attack youths whose demonstrations on the steps of the Pentagon had "stabbed them in the back". Fortunately, I was wrong (so far). (...)
The language and symbols of an authentic American fascism would, of course, have little to do with the original European models. They would have to be familiar and reassuring to loyal Americans as the language and symbols of the original fascism were familiar and reassuring to many Italians and Germans. (...) No swastikas in an American fascism, but Stars and Stripes (or Stars and Bars) and Christian corsses. No fascist salute, but mass recitation of the pledge of allegiance. These symbols contain no whiff of fascism in themselves, of course, but an American fascism would transform them into obligatory litmus tests for detecting the internal enemy."
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

kmdoom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2021, 07:58:49 PM »
it all seems scripted to me, an exactly even split down the middle with a "runoff" election to decide whether one man will continue to essentially have a vicegrip over the country's finances, that man being an 80 year old from one of the poorest states in the nation who no one outside of Kentucky would ever vote for, and all of this is only happening due to a Senator ending his term prematurely.

James Corbett uses the term sElection and I don't see how you can view it any other way. the democrats fielded two of the absolute worst presidential candidates you could possibly imagine 2 terms in a row, and the only reason they were able to win both times is because a once in a lifetime despot managed to deceive half of an entire country eddie guerrero style. political theater isn't just some phrase, the politics in this country are so fucked that you're left trying to make sense of things that everyone already agrees makes no sense

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2021, 08:34:42 PM »
Can’t wait until this fucked-up circus is over. How the Capitol building was so prone to these terrorists invading it is beyond me.

someone explain to me whats actually going on today. i been dealing with my own personal hell last couple months i havent been watching the news.

proud boys is the corniest movement, probably ever. bunch of fuckin little ben shapiro incel weirdos

free max b

Hope shit gets better man.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2021, 08:37:18 PM »
Expand Quote
sarah palin on fox news blaming antifa....
[close]

Who you gonna believe? me or your own lying eyes
Already seen instances of people trying to push this.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2021, 08:58:01 PM »
How did Ted Cruz become Trump's bitch? Didn't Trump call him a rat face or something like that during the Republican candidate debates? Authoritarians are weirdly perverted motherfuckers.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2021, 09:04:45 PM »
How did Ted Cruz become Trump's bitch? Didn't Trump call him a rat face or something like that during the Republican candidate debates? Authoritarians are weirdly perverted motherfuckers.

Trump literally called his wife ugly. He's the most bitchmade weirdo in the house. He got made fun of on Twitter by Ron Perlman and then Ted told him to wrestle Jim Jordan instead of taking him one on one. Absolute loser

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2021, 09:06:07 PM »
Because sadly, the Trump vote became significant. He captured a vote the republicans couldn't capture. What I witnessed today only remains behind 9/11 in shockingness. Anyone who supports what happened today can gladly go fuck themselves.

dirty limerick

• Rep: -17
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2021, 10:22:44 PM »
same way kamala said she believed biden's rape accusers and now they're co-president. politics has a pro wrestling quality. the objectors had some points i thought. legislature is in charge of any changes to voting eligibility not the governor. if it was all in person voting i don't think we'd be having this debacle. woman killed by police was a career air force person.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2021, 11:25:30 PM »
you guys mean Raphael Cruz right? say his motherfucking real and apparently embarrassing name, and not his made up persona when you talk about him.

if these people aren't hunted down for sedition, then the us can just pack up their shit.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2021, 01:05:46 AM »
There will never be unity in America. Yesterday was the complete end to that impossible notion.

When are people going to have enough of white supremacists, neo confederates, Qultists, neo-nazis, maga chuds, proud boys, and fascists going completely unchecked and allowed to walk on our streets without fear of violent repercussion? For all those who say forceful recourse isn't the answer, what do you suppose we do now? Sign petitions, try and educate people, peacefully march against actual fascism? Fuck no, it will never stop these people's blood lust, especially when Dems currently control the house, senate, and presidency.

When is enough? When these homegrown fascists start assassinating political figures and executing left-aligned people, is that going to be enough? And this is undoubtedly coming. If you think I am being too hyperbolic, white domestic terrorists stormed the highest halls of government with explosive devices yesterday and the police took selfies with them as they waved their confederate flags and donned neo-nazi apparel. The unthinkable is now inevitable. They have already doxxed leftist political figures and their addresses are being spread throughout Telegram, Parler, 4chan/8chan, and every other fringe far-right media platform. And it's completely impossible to stop the spread of that information.       

These people are beyond reform, beyond reason, beyond rationality, and beyond saving. These people actually believe that ANTIFA was behind the events of yesterday - that's what type of people we are dealing with. Fringe right wing media is far too powerful and have a firm grasp on these people. They will never relent their propaganda campaigns because the grift is too profitable. And if these platforms even move slightly to the left, they just find another outlet that confirms their false beliefs further pushing them to commit acts of violence. So at this point in history, if anyone is still aligned with trump, they deserve to be met with force and be treated like the seditious traitors they are.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2021, 01:29:26 AM »
It is mind-boggling these people were not stopped. I still can't believe it. I just hope this was the beginning of the end for trumpism and not the start of some civil war type shit.
The police forces need to be held accountable for their lack of reaction and I hope the rioters will be identified and prosecuted too.

Good luck american slappers..... :-X

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2021, 01:39:46 AM »
The best thing that could happen is for trump and his family to create a new party and take their most fervent supporters with them. Eventually, his voting base would dwindle down to the extreme fanatics and his party would be labeled a terrorist organization and banned (probably after a bombing or some other terrorist act). Hopefully, someone would lock him up by then.

I cannot see the republican party taking his bullshit after he will loose all power, since he caused them to loose basically everything, expect for the supreme justices. I also don't see how he could remain popular with the people after he concedes.

I feel sorry for the secret service force that will have to keep him safe until his death.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2021, 01:46:01 AM »
The cunt in me was watching and waiting for secret service to open up with some sorta belt fed nasty but it’s for the best, fuck making martyrs of these pricks and there’s waaaay too many weirdos in the states probably woulda made things way worse. Can’t shoot em all
But yeah totally shocking I would be in tears if that happened in Canberra, full fall of rome type shit

It’s kinda sick that pence and a bunch of other republicans called bullshit but they’re probably trying to save their own arses at this point

Lmao I’m gonna repurpose an old Vietnam joke - how do you sort out America’s problems?
You take all the good ones out on boats stick em of Florida, then bomb fuck out of the crazies
Then you sink the ships
listen to cosmic psychos

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2021, 02:09:36 AM »
It is mind-boggling these people were not stopped. I still can't believe it. I just hope this was the beginning of the end for trumpism and not the start of some civil war type shit.
The police forces need to be held accountable for their lack of reaction and I hope the rioters will be identified and prosecuted too.

Unfortunately the type of people that tend to become police officers are very authoritarian, and hence, Trump supporters

There is footage of them letting the mob through the fences

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2021, 03:12:53 AM »
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2021, 03:27:43 AM »
To provide something of a silver lining to this almost utter fuckup: in the long term, the more impactful event of this day will be that the Democrats took control of the Senate. They'll now get the chance to actually change something.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2021, 05:48:28 AM »
only in america could a political faction mobilize and storm a capitol only to be so devoid of actual political thought they just take selfies until the cops make them leave.

i feel like most political mobs would at least issue a communique, give demands etc. these jamokes just turned the senate into a monster truck rally for a little while and split.

the country is too dead minded and devoid of imagination to even attempt political upheaval.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2021, 06:41:51 AM »
It's because the "brains" (trump) of the operation left them to their own devices. He literally invited these morons, spoke at their planning meeting and directed them by invitation to do what they did.

Is this state sponsored domestic terrorism if the commander in chief directs one branch of the government to attack another?

animalflesh

« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2021, 06:52:24 AM »
It's because the "brains" (trump) of the operation left them to their own devices. He literally invited these morons, spoke at their planning meeting and directed them by invitation to do what they did.

Is this state sponsored domestic terrorism if the commander in chief directs one branch of the government to attack another?

I’d say so, yes

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2021, 06:55:50 AM »
only in america could a political faction mobilize and storm a capitol only to be so devoid of actual political thought they just take selfies until the cops make them leave.

i feel like most political mobs would at least issue a communique, give demands etc. these jamokes just turned the senate into a monster truck rally for a little while and split.

the country is too dead minded and devoid of imagination to even attempt political upheaval.

seriously, right? any questions the rest of the world had about what exactly Americans mean when we talk about ignorant, fuck-wit, white trash amongst us, should have had any questions about this group answered yesterday...

...which isn't to say that they aren't dangerous and a bunch of fucking rabid animals...they are indeed, and in this regard--perhaps ironically--i received another 500 rounds of 7.62 x 39 yesterday that i found fairly cheap recently i'm happy to say.

the conversation regarding fascism going on here is important and i'm looking forward to having the time to read through this thread--fascism and fascists are not easy to define...for instance,

"Fascism has an enigmatic countenance because in it appears the most counterpoised contents. It asserts authoritarianism and organizes rebellion. If fights against contemporary democracy and. on the other hand, does not believe in the restoration of any past rule. It seems to pose itself as the forge of a strong state, and uses means most conducive to its dissolution, as if it were a destructive faction or a secret society. Whichever way we approach fascism we find that it is simultaneously one thing and the contrary, it is A and not A..." (Jose Ortega y Gasset)

that's actually the epigraph from Fascism: A Very Short Introduction which i've encountered in some excellent courses and which i've used when dealing with history and texts where fascism is a focus in classes i've taught:

hope everyone is safe and well

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2021, 06:58:30 AM »
There will never be unity in America. Yesterday was the complete end to that impossible notion.

When are people going to have enough of white supremacists, neo confederates, Qultists, neo-nazis, maga chuds, proud boys, and fascists going completely unchecked and allowed to walk on our streets without fear of violent repercussion? For all those who say forceful recourse isn't the answer, what do you suppose we do now? Sign petitions, try and educate people, peacefully march against actual fascism? Fuck no, it will never stop these people's blood lust, especially when Dems currently control the house, senate, and presidency.

When is enough? When these homegrown fascists start assassinating political figures and executing left-aligned people, is that going to be enough? And this is undoubtedly coming. If you think I am being too hyperbolic, white domestic terrorists stormed the highest halls of government with explosive devices yesterday and the police took selfies with them as they waved their confederate flags and donned neo-nazi apparel. The unthinkable is now inevitable. They have already doxxed leftist political figures and their addresses are being spread throughout Telegram, Parler, 4chan/8chan, and every other fringe far-right media platform. And it's completely impossible to stop the spread of that information.       

These people are beyond reform, beyond reason, beyond rationality, and beyond saving. These people actually believe that ANTIFA was behind the events of yesterday - that's what type of people we are dealing with. Fringe right wing media is far too powerful and have a firm grasp on these people. They will never relent their propaganda campaigns because the grift is too profitable. And if these platforms even move slightly to the left, they just find another outlet that confirms their false beliefs further pushing them to commit acts of violence. So at this point in history, if anyone is still aligned with trump, they deserve to be met with force and be treated like the seditious traitors they are.

Well said. For the last 4-5 years I've closely followed far right rhetoric and propaganda, and I just don't see a way to bring these people back from the brink. Social media/the internet/right-wing media won't be shut down, and normal reasonable people don't want to go out and start a war with these dipshits. Unless Biden's admin comes down on them hard and the FBI performs a massive nationwide dismantling of their structure, then it'll just get worse.

These people easily stormed our nation's capitol... we're so fucked in so many ways.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2021, 07:06:31 AM »
https://www.brooklynvegan.com/ariel-pink-confirms-he-went-to-the-capitol-to-show-my-support-for-the-president/
John Maus was there too  :-\

it’s pretty much an open secret that ariel pink is racist (or at least bigoted)- i’m not surprised in the least tbh

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2021, 07:10:20 AM »
i luv u cky enthusiasm

cky enthusiast

« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2021, 07:14:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well said. For the last 4-5 years I've closely followed far right rhetoric and propaganda, and I just don't see a way to bring these people back from the brink. Social media/the internet/right-wing media won't be shut down, and normal reasonable people don't want to go out and start a war with these dipshits. Unless Biden's admin comes down on them hard and the FBI performs a massive nationwide dismantling of their structure, then it'll just get worse.

These people easily stormed our nation's capitol... we're so fucked in so many ways.

imho they don’t have an actual ideology because they’re structured around media outlets who’s predominant reason for existing is ad $, not the propagation of any political ideology or thought. they wouldn’t know what to do in a “civil war” because they have no goal to mobilize around. it makes this whole thing even more fucked up and weird because everyone is trying to assign a political meaning to a group that has no actual ideas outside of “you’re triggered”.

i find it more telling that everyone immediately made them knock it off once the national association of manufacturers issued that statement. once it became apparent it was gonna be bad for business everyone fell in line real quick. the person who can give these people an actual agenda to enact and get the business end of things behind em will absolutely fuck us.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2021, 07:15:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sweet "civil war" merch in this photo...i'm sure he's a true warrior

cky enthusiast

« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2021, 07:16:10 AM »
i luv u cky enthusiasm

we need more luv rn for sure!! i luv u 2 and i luv anyone who skates and isn’t a fuckin idiot (not a high bar to clear, you should see some of the regulars at my local)

Mongoloid

« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2021, 07:28:46 AM »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2021, 07:37:27 AM »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2021, 07:50:37 AM »