Author Topic: FS Nosegrind  (Read 627 times)

switchfakie

FS Nosegrind
« on: August 03, 2023, 09:05:59 PM »
how tf do i do this

i want the snowplow, overcrooky pinched grind

i keep on locking in and getting pitched forwards because too much of my weight is on the top of the nose or my foot drags on the nose

do you pinch the same way as a back crook, just you have to throw your back leg over the ledge?

bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
Re: FS Nosegrind
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 03:08:47 AM »
i would not compare it to a crook, I know you could kind of ollie over to crook sort of thing but to me it's more vertical than a crooked grind and the focus/weight is kind of the opposite side of the rail than a crooked grind.

sounds like you should just go faster to me.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

davy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 10:46:40 AM »
if anyone got tips on popping out of these in the middle that would be great

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 05:01:07 PM »
if anyone got tips on popping out of these in the middle that would be great
That's actually super easy, you just gotta try it. Start in a nosegrind position standing still, then tweak it all overcrooky, lean back and pop downwards as if you're doing a switch blunt into transition. Maybe just land on one foot at the beginning if you're not ready to commit to it yet. You'll get it in a few tries.

switchfakie

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 05:12:15 PM »
i would not compare it to a crook, I know you could kind of ollie over to crook sort of thing but to me it's more vertical than a crooked grind and the focus/weight is kind of the opposite side of the rail than a crooked grind.

Man, I’m going Mach 10 & still sticking. I think I need to wax more of the ledge + my nose

When I do grind it on occasion, I grind it ~2 feet and fall off or roll over the top of the ledge. This is only with perfectly parallel shoulders to the ledge. It’s for that reason I want to get that heel side pinched version so that I can stand on it.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: FS Nosegrin
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 08:22:22 PM »
For not sticking try putting all your weight on the inner side of your front foot.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 10:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man, I’m going Mach 10 & still sticking. I think I need to wax more of the ledge + my nose

When I do grind it on occasion, I grind it ~2 feet and fall off or roll over the top of the ledge. This is only with perfectly parallel shoulders to the ledge. It’s for that reason I want to get that heel side pinched version so that I can stand on it.

What sort of ledge are you skating? If you're sticking on a nosegrind that you've locked into, going fast on a waxed ledge  either your front foot is either hanging way off your board and all over the ledge or you're leaning way too far forward.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 11:13:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Doesn't sounds like a speed or wax problem, sounds like a weight distribution problem.

3 things I keep in mind when doing them:
1) Ollie just high enough to get my truck onto the ledge, no higher, so I can press my front truck in without slamming it onto the the ledge
2) Keep your front foot, head, weight and center of gravity over your front truck, your front foot should be just past the front bolts and not on the nose, which is similar to a BS Crooked Grind
3) Focus on keeping your forward momentum, popping to too high will transfer your weight into the ledge, landing with your weight over your nose transfers your weight too far forward

1:14 is a good illustration of how high you should pop

3:15 - you can ollie above the ledge, if you keep your weight over the front truck
5:15 - where your weight needs to be
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2023, 12:04:36 AM »
^ they said they wanted to do the full press snow plow style tho.

I'm bad at them but a tip a friend who's good at that style told me once was don't stand square on-top of the ledge like a regular nosegrind but kind of put your weight right on the edge of the ledge. And it's easier on a kind of rounded ledge

switchfakie

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 08:35:23 AM »
thank you @rocklobster for the input, i really appreciate you putting in the time to write a detailed response but @Mean salto is right that I want the pressed snowplow version - because i cant manny for got damn shit :0

I'm bad at them but a tip a friend who's good at that style told me once was don't stand square on-top of the ledge like a regular nosegrind but kind of put your weight right on the edge of the ledge. And it's easier on a kind of rounded ledge

i think that is really interesting about putting your weight towards the outside edge of the ledge. i guess thats why i see people pop out early by mistake whenever i see people do this particular version of the grind

i'll try it out this week and come back with my input. i dont expect it to take me that much longer to get it

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 07:32:30 PM »
thank you @rocklobster for the input, i really appreciate you putting in the time to write a detailed response but @Mean salto is right that I want the pressed snowplow version - because i cant manny for got damn shit :0

Expand Quote
[close]

i think that is really interesting about putting your weight towards the outside edge of the ledge. i guess thats why i see people pop out early by mistake whenever i see people do this particular version of the grind

i'll try it out this week and come back with my input. i dont expect it to take me that much longer to get it

Egg on my face for not reading the first post correctly, but my point still stands that the weight needs to over the front truck instead of over the nose. If you're doing the Wenning / Biebel ones then you'd need to have your weight pretty far back and right above the truck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m