Author Topic: The Transition Help Thread  (Read 11448 times)

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
Re: The Transition Help Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2023, 07:31:02 PM »
Learn pivots the right way first then push them into backside 5-0s, then you'll have real good control of them.

Edit: by that I mean learn how to pinch pivots on the heelside wheel first, then just change your angle and push it into a grind
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2023, 09:38:08 PM »
Learn pivots the right way first then push them into backside 5-0s, then you'll have real good control of them.

Edit: by that I mean learn how to pinch pivots on the heelside wheel first, then just change your angle and push it into a grind

When you grind a back 5-0 which direction how are your shoulders positioned? On a pivot it's self-explanatory that you just pivot with the board but when I do back 5-0s I kinda turn my shoulders so I'm facing the coping ahead of me if that makes sense. I don't know if that's right or not, it works for me to get long ones on flat walls but in a bowl i just cannot make them work.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2023, 10:18:14 PM »
It's exactly like a pivot but you don't turn your shoulders back into the transition until you're ready to get back in there. So, like camping out on a pivot except you took a 45 degree angle to the coping and are leaning back enough to grind. I usually have mine parallel to slightly open (torso facing forward) when doing em.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2023, 10:58:32 PM »
It's exactly like a pivot but you don't turn your shoulders back into the transition until you're ready to get back in there. So, like camping out on a pivot except you took a 45 degree angle to the coping and are leaning back enough to grind. I usually have mine parallel to slightly open (torso facing forward) when doing em.

Sounds like i'm overthinking a simple trick. Thanks for the tips.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2023, 05:26:41 AM »
learning back 5-0 grinds and i initially started with stalls but found that really difficult & moved on to the grinds on a whim. surprising found it immensely easier to grind than to stall

did anybody experience this as well ?

This isn't my experience but I know a bunch of people who are pretty good at 5-0 grinds to fakie but can't pivot fakie.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2023, 02:09:29 PM »
Anyone have experience with bringing fs nosegrinds back in? It's probably one of the scarier tricks I've tried, I can ollie into them and grind them out, but just can't seem to bring them in despite being able to do nollie acid drops.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2023, 03:28:53 PM »
Expand Quote
learning back 5-0 grinds and i initially started with stalls but found that really difficult & moved on to the grinds on a whim. surprising found it immensely easier to grind than to stall

[close]

This isn't my experience but I know a bunch of people who are pretty good at 5-0 grinds to fakie but can't pivot fakie.

Anyone have experience with bringing fs nosegrinds back in? It's probably one of the scarier tricks I've tried, I can ollie into them and grind them out, but just can't seem to bring them in despite being able to do nollie acid drops.

Both the five oh grind to fakie and frontside nosegrinds are a momentum based trick, so are way easier if you are grinding / moving still before going back in.  That was the main reason for quoting the last two posts, but overall some tricks are very much an easier on the spot type of thing and others you have to be moving, usually at reasonable speed to get them to work well.

Sure there are others (and even my lazy ass) who will often do five oh grind to stop to fakie, but it is better to be still moving so the momentum helps carry you into the ramp.

As to nose grinds (frontside or backside) that you ollie into and are sitting on top of rather than just the nose manual kind that you are not really up on top of, you have to be balanced with your weight ever so slightly on top but very ready to go straight back into the ramp, otherwise you will not be able to get it back in.

One guy who was learning them would often pull them in, indy grab, another had often ended up in decker or even smith a couple of times popping in but not far enough as he was too much in the back seat of them when grinding, but I think one thing that really helped with the basics of getting them was just nose manualling across the face of a bank or smaller transition and getting the hang of the hold, then even taking them to the edge / on coping and still just rolling them.

As you said you can nollie bonk the wheels on coping to get in, which is also a good thing to learn, but just putting it all together.

Not sure if you have ever tried or learnt nose blunts but the simple pop in on those could also help a great deal, even just sitting your board on a curb or low edge and nollie to decker or pop in a bit sideways so you end up landing just out from the curb in the "roll away" stance, if that makes sense.

Anyway, let me know if you get all that or if you want videos or anything of that stuff for a bit of show and tell - I am not that good at a lot of tricks nowdays, but I used to be able to do a lot more and have helped a lot of people learn way more than I am able to do by getting the other steps to get up to something like that.  Then you not only have the trick you wanted, but usually half a dozen other variations as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2023, 07:50:17 AM »

I just learned to stall theses a few weeks ago and managed a couple of grinds. Two things I realised when trying to work them out that seemed important -

Get your front toe in the pocket of the nose

Pop straight forward and let the turn of your body do the work to make your board turn back in to the ramp. The temptation is to pop the board in the direction of the ramp but that seemed to stop it coming back in for me
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2023, 05:24:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like i'm overthinking a simple trick. Thanks for the tips.

Don't feel bad though, I'll skate tranny maybe once or twice a month. Mainly I'm just there to apese my friends who are great at transition.  I'm like "alright, let me go do the 5 or 6 transition tricks I can do."  I'll do  50-50, rock to fakie or roll, 5-0,  pivot fakie, front side disaster, front side air and I'm ready to leave in 40 minutes lol.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2023, 09:23:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Both the five oh grind to fakie and frontside nosegrinds are a momentum based trick, so are way easier if you are grinding / moving still before going back in.  That was the main reason for quoting the last two posts, but overall some tricks are very much an easier on the spot type of thing and others you have to be moving, usually at reasonable speed to get them to work well.

Sure there are others (and even my lazy ass) who will often do five oh grind to stop to fakie, but it is better to be still moving so the momentum helps carry you into the ramp.

As to nose grinds (frontside or backside) that you ollie into and are sitting on top of rather than just the nose manual kind that you are not really up on top of, you have to be balanced with your weight ever so slightly on top but very ready to go straight back into the ramp, otherwise you will not be able to get it back in.

One guy who was learning them would often pull them in, indy grab, another had often ended up in decker or even smith a couple of times popping in but not far enough as he was too much in the back seat of them when grinding, but I think one thing that really helped with the basics of getting them was just nose manualling across the face of a bank or smaller transition and getting the hang of the hold, then even taking them to the edge / on coping and still just rolling them.

As you said you can nollie bonk the wheels on coping to get in, which is also a good thing to learn, but just putting it all together.

Not sure if you have ever tried or learnt nose blunts but the simple pop in on those could also help a great deal, even just sitting your board on a curb or low edge and nollie to decker or pop in a bit sideways so you end up landing just out from the curb in the "roll away" stance, if that makes sense.

Anyway, let me know if you get all that or if you want videos or anything of that stuff for a bit of show and tell - I am not that good at a lot of tricks nowdays, but I used to be able to do a lot more and have helped a lot of people learn way more than I am able to do by getting the other steps to get up to something like that.  Then you not only have the trick you wanted, but usually half a dozen other variations as well.

Cheers for the advice. Pretty sure you may have taught me noseblunts in person actually, with the advice of taking them to decker a few times before fully committing.

May actually work on noseblunts a bit more before trying fs nosegrinds again, rather than fully popping them in I now do a sketchy nose manual back in.

I just learned to stall theses a few weeks ago and managed a couple of grinds. Two things I realised when trying to work them out that seemed important -

Get your front toe in the pocket of the nose

Pop straight forward and let the turn of your body do the work to make your board turn back in to the ramp. The temptation is to pop the board in the direction of the ramp but that seemed to stop it coming back in for me

Yeah, that makes sense and would likely explain why I'd end up taking a lot them to smiths. Might just see if I can pop out a stall when I start trying them again

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2023, 04:25:12 PM »
Stall is 1 million times easier if you can get into it ok
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

switchfakie

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2023, 09:10:05 PM »
is it just me or is mini ramp skating way harder than bowl skating? i mainly skate ledges, so i thought id ask people who actually know what tf theyre doing

i have such a hard time keeping speed in a 5 foot mini ramp, i always end up doing setup tricks or just fuckup my speed entirely after doing a trick like a back disaster. where as for bowls, i mainly do grind tricks to keep speed

i have no idea how to fix these types of problems because im good at doing quarterpipe tricks, but i cant for the life of me maintain the speed post trick

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2023, 01:08:11 AM »
is it just me or is mini ramp skating way harder than bowl skating? i mainly skate ledges, so i thought id ask people who actually know what tf theyre doing

i have such a hard time keeping speed in a 5 foot mini ramp, i always end up doing setup tricks or just fuckup my speed entirely after doing a trick like a back disaster. where as for bowls, i mainly do grind tricks to keep speed

i have no idea how to fix these types of problems because im good at doing quarterpipe tricks, but i cant for the life of me maintain the speed post trick

I definitely feel like people are one or the other. To be good at mini ramp skating you need to be able to do tricks to fakie and revert out and all kinds of 'tech' shit but to be good at a bowl you really only need to be able to do solid 5-0s to be somewhat impressive and have fun (depending on the bowl obviously)

Bowls require more commitment and balls but mini ramp skating requires way more finesse, unless you're one of those freaks who does tech shit in big bowls

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2023, 04:21:07 PM »

I agree that it needs a bit more finesse.
You need to land trucks and not ‘ride away’, but land them in a way where you are ready to give a little pump into the transition after to maintain speed.

It doesn’t have to be a high-speed trick, you can totally stop on the coping but still be able come back in with a pump for the next wall.

If you can drop in and do a trick on the next wall, you can apply that same pump to coming out of fs and bs axle stalls, as well as rock to fakie. If you can pump out of those 3 tricks with enough speed to hit the next wall, you’re good.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2023, 05:11:24 PM »
You have to think a lot faster, they are slippery, and you don’t have corners to pump through…..that said….no way..ramps are way less scary.

I pumped for hours on a vert ramp growing up and mini is the type of thing little kids gravitate to and build up their muscle memory….it’s hard to learn when you’re older.  Parks don’t teach you to keep speed…you roll in on flatbanks or push.

I’d build up and do a bunch of 50-50’s, it’ll get easier….

switchfakie

« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2023, 07:16:36 PM »
^ thank you all for replying to my question, i really appreciate it

i suspected for a while they were two different skills, but im glad you could confirm it for me

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2023, 12:35:12 PM »
Mini is rhythm and muscle memory……concrete park is more about confidence…..

elegant_fox

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2023, 06:34:44 PM »
I’ve had a better boon keeping speed in the parks on 60mm bones SPF 84b, they don’t sink into ground much and I can go lap after lap with them. They’re one of the more popular wheels for transition for a reason.

Of course they won’t overcome a bad pump technique, but smaller wheels and softer ones definitely have a harder time keeping momentum.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2023, 03:53:54 AM »
I’d never skated a bowl at all until a couple of years ago but I live near a little peanut shaped fairly crusty one now.
Despite having a fair few basic mini ramp tricks down consistently, you wouldn’t believe how long it took me to start to keep speed and link them together in this bowl.

Maybe it’s just the shape / size of this particular one but adapting timing of pumps to corners to keep speed and hit the coping where I want to seemed like a frustrating puzzle for weirdly ages given my mini ramp basic chops

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2023, 09:55:34 PM »
Okay here's an obscure one. Layback slides or any type of layback grind in general really. Can any of you do one? I dream of doing a layback slide like this one day but I can't get my head around it.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2023, 03:59:40 AM »
Okay here's an obscure one. Layback slides or any type of layback grind in general really. Can any of you do one? I dream of doing a layback slide like this one day but I can't get my head around it.

Whilst I'm not a bonafide expert when it comes to laybacks, I can do them well enough to atleast give a few pointers. I'd definitely start with a grind as opposed to straight layback/drifting on the wall as the grind will give you more time to learn it and get comfortable with the motions. Frontside 5-0 (dont murder me on trick nomenclature) is in my opinion the easiest to learn so being atleast somewhat competent with those will help. There's no real trick to getting into it, just gotta throw yourself back and put that hand down - it could just be me but a front 5-0 feels like a two step trick, the first half being angling yourself to get into it and the initial coping hit, and the second adjusting the top half of your body and locking the grind in. Planting the hand is usually done on or just after the first part, and then you extend your body out to keep grinding.

One of the common issues I see when people try to learn them is assuming that hand on the coping = planting it with all your weight, and this usually ends up with their body/board extended so far out in front of them that when they try to bring it back in they'll slide out or start reverting. Keep it a bit light and drag the hand, taking the board to tail also helps as then it's stalled and you can use that to bring the rest of your body/weight forward, and hopefully roll away. Of course there are many different ways to do them, and plenty of people do it planted with their full body extended (Hosoi for instance), but that comes with time and it'll be much easier to learn it dragging the hand/keeping it light. You can see the difference in these two clips, the one of Duane doing them backside and dragging his hand with him so that by the time he's dropped back in he's straight, whereas the Hosoi clip he's still laid back on entry and only really returns to a normal position at the lower portion of the ramp.

It's really just one of those tricks where you have to go for it and see what happens, worst case scenario you slide out on them. Good luck :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2023, 07:52:15 PM »

That was rad watching the old Duane footage (or not that old really, considering he was doing that 30 years ago) but at the very least, one thing I would add with laybacks is getting used to your body being down way lower, to the point where even just on flat or a mellow bank carving around and putting a hand or two down to get the feel for how low you have to get, without having the issue of slipping out on a big wall, cause the trick really doesn't work as well on smaller ramps, even though some people can do them on anything.

That and being able to do a slide on the bank too, in much the same way, just come into it frontside (or backside) and push with your feet first just doing a turn but slide at the top of the turn, then get lower and push like you are going to slide more across the face, but then at some point you can get low enough that you can get a hand down.

That was how one of the older guys was showing younger kids how to do them one day and it was a lot easier than trying to get down lower on a bigger ramp lip.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2023, 08:35:24 PM »
Sick, thanks for the tips fellas, I tried a few layback 5-0s today taking your advice @cosmicgypsies and not putting all my weight onto my back hand and got way closer than I had been getting previously, but it started raining before i could pull one off. And thanks @Mbrimson88, i'll try practicing the slides on banks. It's seriously a dream trick of mine, the way people do it where they throw one hand back on the concrete/ramp and the other hand is kinda swung above their heads is just so sick.

switchfakie

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2023, 04:29:26 PM »
i want to learn front tails on transition but dont exactly know where to start

do i try popping into a tail stall first & then do it at an angle ?

or

do i to a front 5-0 & as soon as i get on top, force it into tail ?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2023, 04:56:23 PM »
Can you do them on banks? Its not that much different.

I wouldn't recommend going straight up, especially if the goal is to slide them. Come at a 45 degree angle, keep your weight in the transition and bone out your back leg as you lock in. Once you figure out the timing of the lock in its not that hard. yes, to get used to it you could try doing stand up five Os into tailslides and do them quicker and quicker until you are whipping straight to tail slide.

Talk to Ben Schroeder. I think he was the first. He called them Chaffe Slides or something like that...

elegant_fox

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2023, 11:19:52 AM »
Have y’all found a more standard transition setup to be helpful for progressing?

Seems like 8.25-8.5 / 14.25wb + Indy 149s + bones hard bushings + Swiss + 56/60mm 84b SPFs is the standard setup with some slight variations here and there.

I really prefer a 15”+ wheelbase, but there’s really only three deck options if you go popsicle. The Powell Peralta 8.75 shape 245 and 9.05 shape 246. Anti-hero has the 9.0 Eagle with a 15” wb.

My penchant for a longer wheelbase usually pushes me into reissue decks which can be a gamble when trying to get the basics down.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 11:44:10 AM by elegant_fox »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2023, 11:42:15 AM »
I ride the Antihero Huffer on everything. Wider trucks and bigger wheels in bigger parks.

elegant_fox

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2023, 12:34:15 PM »
I ride the Antihero Huffer on everything. Wider trucks and bigger wheels in bigger parks.

That shape looks great, I’ll have to grab one next time I see one. Looks like the Kimbel decks from Creature also have a 9.0/15”.

Lien to tail looks hard on a reissue with a small nose like on the Jeff Kendall end of the world I’ve been riding.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2023, 06:24:31 AM »
i want to learn front tails on transition but dont exactly know where to start

do i try popping into a tail stall first & then do it at an angle ?

or

do i to a front 5-0 & as soon as i get on top, force it into tail ?

agree with everything said and can share a few tips. if you can find a small hip (bank or transition) then i find they are way easier over hips as you don't have to turn as much but it's most the same trick. i learned doing 5 0 to tail and increasing the speed but it might depend if you want the end result to be a swoop in or ollie in. i do swoop in. the other thing with FS grid and tailslide, for me it's all about stomping the back foot. you come in fast and then put all your weight on your back foot on top of the ramp and stomp it. if you don't get a good lock you just walk out of it and if you do... hell ride and back in.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2023, 01:15:20 PM »
How do I grind longer on pool coping? I think the longest I can get is maybe 7-8ft on a cross-locked back 50 and that's absolutely hauling ass. Some guys seem to be able to do 10 or 12ft grinds like it's nothing. Is there some trick here?