Author Topic: The Transition Help Thread  (Read 11345 times)

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
The Transition Help Thread
« on: January 07, 2021, 07:17:59 AM »
2021 is the year I get better at transition, or so I have told myself. If anyone else is in the same boat, let's put all that crap here and see if we can't help each other out.

I'll go first: I can't do anything backside that doesn't come down to a carve, carve grind or slash grind. I always have my upper body over the transition and can't seem to move my weight fully on top the coping, and it's especially bad on flat walls. I really want to do a stand up bs 50-50 and get those bs 5-0s that are angled toward the deck and just zip right along the coping while locked in on the heelside wheel.

Anyone got any hints or tips or am I doomed to stay a "frontside guy"? 

Jory4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
Re: The Transition Help Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 08:55:32 AM »
You need to work on throwing your weight onto the platform to get to those stand up 50-50s

Probably easiest to learn BS axle stalls first from straight on to the coping. Aim to get your weight into the deck as your back truck hits if that makes sense. It’s quite a safe feeling thing to try as it’s easy to step off onto the deck of you muck it up. Does that make sense.

Sure someone else will explain it better

From there, 50-50s are just carving into them.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 09:01:33 AM »
You need to work on throwing your weight onto the platform to get to those stand up 50-50s

Probably easiest to learn BS axle stalls first from straight on to the coping. Aim to get your weight into the deck as your back truck hits if that makes sense. It’s quite a safe feeling thing to try as it’s easy to step off onto the deck of you muck it up. Does that make sense.

Sure someone else will explain it better

From there, 50-50s are just carving into them.

Makes perfect sense.  I have no idea why it's so hard for me, but it just is.  Funny thing is I can stand up on a backside grind all the way around a corner by carving into it, but there's something about a flat wall that really fucks with me.  Maybe I should try sort of rolling out onto the deck with a backside kickturn just to get the feel for it?

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
Yeah that’s a good place to start. Then bs axle stalls

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 03:42:21 PM »
It totally worked, thanks man.  Once I got comfortable doing a backside roll out or whatever, I just aimed my trucks at the coping and it started coming together. By the end of the session today I had gotten a handful of pretty solid backside 50s. Really looking forward to trying it at a park with better coping, since the one I was skating at has really small (in diameter) steel coping set so deep that my front wheel would sometimes bind against the concrete instead of rolling along the coping.  Embarrassing how easy it was to figure out once you gave me that insight, but that's how it goes, I guess.  If a pal reads this, I hope they gnar you for the help. 

I'm assuming a 5-0 is like a 50-50, but you sort of manual into it and stand up on your heel, so I'm gonna try that once I feel like I've got 50-50s on lock.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 04:54:01 PM »
True story, watching that part in Krooked Kronichles where Drehobl and Gonz are kinda playfully arguing about how to bs pivot was a game changer for me. They unlocked other doors in the bs realm.

I actually learned these before bs axle stalls somehow, and definitely before any sort of slash or grind, because I didn't feel like I had enough control to go for them safely. When I was confident in my bs pivot (really getting up on top, sitting on the heelside wheel, slowly pivoting and coming back in under control), I worked toward taking more of an angle to push them into backside 5-0s, learning good truck placement to lock in to 50's, and then bs smith grinds. Now I need to learn the heel-toe magic required for pivot fakies!

Never done a bs feeble stall (on purpose) but it seems like a lot of kids do them, putting your wheels up on the deck offers more control.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 06:47:50 AM »
I am curious so before anyone asks or says anything else, I wanted to check which way you are thinking is backside and frontside on transition.

The side you are facing towards the transition or coping as you come up the wall and turn is how you call it, so if your back is to the coping as you turn, it is backside.  If you are turning with your front towards the wall or coping it is frontside.

This is the most common thing I have had to explain when doing skate lessons for the last twenty years, so my apologies if you guys had it right, and I killed the video links for you too.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 07:11:38 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 07:01:01 AM »
I am curious so before anyone asks or says anything else, I wanted to check which way you are thinking is backside and frontside on transition.

The side you are facing towards the transition or coping as you come up the wall and turn is how you call it, so if your back is to the coping as you turn, it is backside.  If you are turning with your front towards the wall or coping it is frontside.

This is the most common thing I have had to explain when doing skate lessons for the last twenty years, so my apologies if you guys had it right, and enjoy the videos.

I could post any number of instructional videos, but Ben explains things pretty well and I think people generally like his videos, even if he is way more of a street skater than a transition skater, and he can still skate everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjLVOEdHH-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXMaBUYCTk

Let me just reassure you that my terminology is correct. I have much more trouble on tricks where my back is towards the coping, even though they are less scary. After getting frustrated with backside tricks, I started trying frontside and found that I progressed much faster there, even though it’s a little scarier. I started skating in 1998 and generally don’t fuck up stuff like confusing frontside and backside. No harm done by asking either way.

I know about Ben DeGros, and he’s great, but this thread is more about making progress and maybe sharing about it, and less about posting links.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 07:27:34 AM »

I have much more trouble on tricks where my back is towards the coping, even though they are less scary. After getting frustrated with backside tricks, I started trying frontside and found that I progressed much faster there, even though it’s a little scarier.

Sweet!  I edited the first post and killed the videos, but the second one about bs fifties is good.

Also working out the speed and angle to get just on, as you said on the heel corner of the back foot, but staying lower and lighter (relaxing) as you turn so your body doesn't fall into the transition, but you don't want to be going too fast and stepping off the back of it either.  A mellow halfpipe with a good width is really good for this too, so you know how much speed to get when pumping from the first wall, so besides just a stall, you can get some longer grinds too, as already said by coming up on more of an angle on to the coping, which is good to hear.

I built a small halfpipe in my shed and skate that more than anything else, so the older I get (and the harder it is to do much else) the more I skate transition and just enjoy rolling around, but I have always had more of a thing for ramps more so than street / stairs or rails.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 07:38:22 AM by Mbrimson88 »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 08:16:22 AM »
2021 is the year I get better at transition, or so I have told myself. If anyone else is in the same boat, let's put all that crap here and see if we can't help each other out.

I'll go first: I can't do anything backside that doesn't come down to a carve, carve grind or slash grind. I always have my upper body over the transition and can't seem to move my weight fully on top the coping, and it's especially bad on flat walls. I really want to do a stand up bs 50-50 and get those bs 5-0s that are angled toward the deck and just zip right along the coping while locked in on the heelside wheel.

Anyone got any hints or tips or am I doomed to stay a "frontside guy"?

I have a friend who was in the same situation as you, could do bs grinds/slashes/etc but they were never really locked in on top of the coping, more still in the transition. I ended up just taking him to the local mini and got him to go back and forth for an hour doing 5050 stalls properly, locked in on top of the coping. Once he was consistent and comfy with those, just started changing the angle he came up on and after a few sessions he was fine with them. I'm a big fan of 5050s and holding them/through corners etc, I'd say most important is really just getting the lock in and knowing where to keep your weight, once you get that down you're chilling on em.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-AiZwfFzgP/

Still gutted I never got to go back there and get both corners in one shot.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 10:00:47 AM »

I have a friend who was in the same situation as you, could do bs grinds/slashes/etc but they were never really locked in on top of the coping, more still in the transition. I ended up just taking him to the local mini and got him to go back and forth for an hour doing 5050 stalls properly, locked in on top of the coping. Once he was consistent and comfy with those, just started changing the angle he came up on and after a few sessions he was fine with them. I'm a big fan of 5050s and holding them/through corners etc, I'd say most important is really just getting the lock in and knowing where to keep your weight, once you get that down you're chilling on em.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-AiZwfFzgP/

Still gutted I never got to go back there and get both corners in one shot.

Yeah, they're starting to make more sense to me after I tried some of what you're suggesting for a bit yesterday.  Goddamn, that bowl looks so fun!  I always loved how it looks to do a nice long grind and whip around the corner, definitely a big goal for me.

Also working out the speed and angle to get just on, as you said on the heel corner of the back foot, but staying lower and lighter (relaxing) as you turn so your body doesn't fall into the transition, but you don't want to be going too fast and stepping off the back of it either.  A mellow halfpipe with a good width is really good for this too, so you know how much speed to get when pumping from the first wall, so besides just a stall, you can get some longer grinds too, as already said by coming up on more of an angle on to the coping, which is good to hear.

I built a small halfpipe in my shed and skate that more than anything else, so the older I get (and the harder it is to do much else) the more I skate transition and just enjoy rolling around, but I have always had more of a thing for ramps more so than street / stairs or rails.

"Low and light" is very good insight, definitely how I would describe what it felt like when I think back on the ones I got that felt the best.  I'm also rapidly approaching "fucking old" so it's a mad dash to get as comfortable on transition as I can before my knees and ankles start giving me any more trouble. 

I'm jealous of anyone with their own ramp, but I'm going to try to make it happen for myself in the future.  My career is likely to pick up over the next few years which will, on the one hand, leave me with less time to just head to the park when it's nice out, but it might also give me some extra dough to build some stuff at my place so I can grab a session most days anyway.

Next I need to start trying fs tailsides since I'm at the point where a fs 5-0 is honestly easier and more consistent for me than a 50-50.  Anyone got tips for that?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 10:08:42 AM by Mr. Stinky »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 07:47:39 PM »
A couple of in between could be front five grind to tail, which is a good one to get even just a front five to stop, stay on top of it and turn it to tail slowly to get the feel for it.

Also getting frontside ollies to five or onto the platform are good ways to lead up to front tails, then just going faster, carve and quick but small pop to jam it into tail and they usually slide pretty well.

I saw another thread on fs tails and even though it is about doing them on ledges, some of it translates to what you do on a ramp as well.

If there is a moderate bank with a lip, you can perfect those sort of things on that edge, not so much the slide but just getting the body turn for tails or deckers / disasters too.

It works for backside tricks too, sitting bs five or even five to tail or back tail, but just getting ollie to five first.

Sorry I am really keen on mini ramp lip tricks and love helping people with all the different variations which in turn actually lead to other tricks too.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 09:54:57 PM »
I have shitty technique going backside, too, but you can eke out an existence of back smith, backside disaster and 5-0 fakes

Frontsides fucken way cooler anyway
listen to cosmic psychos

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
A couple of in between could be front five grind to tail, which is a good one to get even just a front five to stop, stay on top of it and turn it to tail slowly to get the feel for it.

Also getting frontside ollies to five or onto the platform are good ways to lead up to front tails, then just going faster, carve and quick but small pop to jam it into tail and they usually slide pretty well.

I saw another thread on fs tails and even though it is about doing them on ledges, some of it translates to what you do on a ramp as well.

If there is a moderate bank with a lip, you can perfect those sort of things on that edge, not so much the slide but just getting the body turn for tails or deckers / disasters too.

It works for backside tricks too, sitting bs five or even five to tail or back tail, but just getting ollie to five first.

Sorry I am really keen on mini ramp lip tricks and love helping people with all the different variations which in turn actually lead to other tricks too.

No need to apologize, I sincerely appreciate your efforts.  I fucked up my ankle a couple weeks ago, so I've been sticking to basics that are less likely to make me need to run out of anything, but I'm feeling better today.   Gonna be sunny and in the 40s, so carpe diem.  I've got front tails on ledges pretty good; they're one of my favorite ledge tricks, along with fs smith grinds, which is a big reason why I want to take them both to transition.  What trips me out is the timing of the tail scrape/turn to get the tail onto the coping.  I always seem to lose my feet when I try it on a quarter.  Banks just could be a better starting point, and I might try flying out of a quarter frontside just for the hell of it.

I have shitty technique going backside, too, but you can eke out an existence of back smith, backside disaster and 5-0 fakes

Shit, I'd love a bs disaster and bs smith.  I've got this dumbshit idea that I should be somehow well-rounded as a skater even though I'm hauling up on 40 here in a few years, so that's what this is all about.  The disillusionment will set in sooner or later, I bet. 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 10:50:13 AM »
I've got front tails on ledges pretty good; they're one of my favorite ledge tricks, along with fs smith grinds, which is a big reason why I want to take them both to transition. 

I'll trade you. I got FS TSs and Smiths on transition but would love to get them on ledges...

Frank and Fred

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »
I'm personally not a fan of the front 5 O to tail... it can be ok if it results in a long screeching tail slide but its really not too hard to go straight from 5 O to reentry. Now if its very quick 5 O that goes to tail slide quickly that looks ok.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 11:24:13 PM »
I've skated miniramps for like 30 years plus and I never used an axel stall or 50-50 as a set up until the last couple years so I know what you mean....in the ramp....never on top....id 50-50 fakie before I'd axel stall.

What helped me was 1) just riding in at an angle and rolling onto the deck, then dialling it into an axel stall 2) leaning back so your head and shoulders are more towards your back truck because if getting in wasn't bad enough, my entry was even sketchier.....

To me there are three miniramp skaters: 50-50'ers', Rock fakie tail tappers, and frontside guy.....

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 06:05:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No need to apologize, I sincerely appreciate your efforts.  I fucked up my ankle a couple weeks ago, so I've been sticking to basics that are less likely to make me need to run out of anything, but I'm feeling better today.   Gonna be sunny and in the 40s, so carpe diem.  I've got front tails on ledges pretty good; they're one of my favorite ledge tricks, along with fs smith grinds, which is a big reason why I want to take them both to transition.  What trips me out is the timing of the tail scrape/turn to get the tail onto the coping.  I always seem to lose my feet when I try it on a quarter.  Banks just could be a better starting point, and I might try flying out of a quarter frontside just for the hell of it.

Expand Quote

[close]

Shit, I'd love a bs disaster and bs smith.  I've got this dumbshit idea that I should be somehow well-rounded as a skater even though I'm hauling up on 40 here in a few years, so that's what this is all about.  The disillusionment will set in sooner or later, I bet.

Just mess around on a small quarter but if you can backside 5050 you can back smith it’s pretty much the same coming up I think I have my back foot toes a bit over and just let the back truck get on and that wheel near your toes will be the lock on the coping just let the front dip it will want to anyway and try to have your shoulders like in line with the coping it will grind longer that way I mean you turn your hips a bit coming up backside but try have the shoulders the other way

Disaster is kinda same coming up maybe toes a little more over to help scoop it round I can’t remember I never really thought about it but it’s all like this scoop coming up to the coping you push down quite a bit on your back foot like more so then the back smith and turn your shoulders all the way cause you wanna get the back truck over the coping think about having your back shoulder in line with back foot
You kinda lean forward into the ramp at this time to take pressure of back foot it’s kinda like a powerslide

can’t fuck it up hey cause once you’re around the front truck will catch and it sorta jams there with your back wheels on the deck then just lean forward and push down with front foot and pressure of on the back foot

I don’t really like 5-0 tail either, I haven’t done this in a while but they’re not difficult and I like them, 5-0 to disaster but just stalled, before I could straight bs disaster I would do them this way
And it feels good frontside too
listen to cosmic psychos

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 08:57:04 PM »

Just mess around on a small quarter but if you can backside 5050 you can back smith it’s pretty much the same coming up I think I have my back foot toes a bit over and just let the back truck get on and that wheel near your toes will be the lock on the coping just let the front dip it will want to anyway and try to have your shoulders like in line with the coping it will grind longer that way I mean you turn your hips a bit coming up backside but try have the shoulders the other way

Disaster is kinda same coming up maybe toes a little more over to help scoop it round I can’t remember I never really thought about it but it’s all like this scoop coming up to the coping you push down quite a bit on your back foot like more so then the back smith and turn your shoulders all the way cause you wanna get the back truck over the coping think about having your back shoulder in line with back foot
You kinda lean forward into the ramp at this time to take pressure of back foot it’s kinda like a powerslide

can’t fuck it up hey cause once you’re around the front truck will catch and it sorta jams there with your back wheels on the deck then just lean forward and push down with front foot and pressure of on the back foot

I don’t really like 5-0 tail either, I haven’t done this in a while but they’re not difficult and I like them, 5-0 to disaster but just stalled, before I could straight bs disaster I would do them this way
And it feels good frontside too

Yes, yes and yes.

We used to try any and all variations when we were growing up, not to mention when some people are playing games of skate on transition, you can pretty much get all letters if they don't know how to do certain tricks, so just do everything to tail, or to decker, or decker to smith combos.

Even if some tricks look terrible, it was also a good go to, but so many tricks can be learned on a gutter and taken to ramp  or started on a small bank too.

I would often get kids to do back 180 cess on flat and say do that on the ramp, and more often than not, they got it fairly easily.  Anything with less big sticking out coping and the board would just go straight over to decker very easily.

So much more I could keep going on but that is probably enough for now.

bigmike

• Rep: 11
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 08:54:10 AM »
Something that hasn’t been touched on really, particularly in regards to disasters and tailslides, is tension in your shoulders. A back disaster, for example, revert early with just a bit more scoop than you would if you were turning around on flat, not quite as much as a back 180, but more than just a slide. When you scoop, you want to aim for smack in the middle of the board on coping and turn your shoulders hard in the opposite of the direction you’re scooping. Otherwise you’re going to over rotate. You can get away with it on mellow ramps since your wheels will catch on the transition, but it won’t scale up to steeper ramps.

The same holds true for tailslides. Little pop, scoop like you’re doing a lazy 180, and push against the coping with your back foot, but you gotta turn the shoulders to create tension or you’ll over rotate. If you come with speed and at enough of an angle, you should just be focusing on holding the body position and letting your momentum force the slide. The motions for tails, disasters, and lips, should all feel way more exaggerated and forceful than a smith grind or 5-0. In my experience, the best trick for picking up on the feeling of twisting opposite directions is a rock n roll. Backside rock n roll has the same hip/shoulder tension as a front tailslides, same with front rocks and back tails. The main difference is where you distribute your weight. Rock n rolls and board slides are all back foot. Tail slides your weight should be in the ramp more towards the front foot.

Smiths honestly aren’t even worth trying unless the ramp is steep enough to properly dip without catching the front wheels. It’s just a funky slash at that point. Mellow transition can breed a lot of bad habits that make it hard to scale your tricks up to taller and steeper transition. If all you have is mellow ramps, just fake it till you make and try to imagine you’re on a vert ramp. Lean in extra and exaggerate your posture. After all, most of them were invented on vert ramps.

For all these tricks, try to feel out the stall first too. It feels safer and will help you understand how the trick is meant to be held, as well as the feeling of re-entry. Then when you try to grind or slide you can approach more confidently.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 06:30:35 PM »
True words Bike Mike. Nothing worse than trying to lock into a smith on mellow tranny. One of the first things I do when I hit a new transition is the old smithgrind test. I learned on very mellow transitions... not sure why but they like it that way in the UK. But since then I have acquired  a taste for small tight stuff. Over 6' high I like mellow transition, under I like tight...

bigmike

• Rep: 11
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 02:15:47 PM »
Under 6’ and tight is my ideal too. Keep me low to the ground but let it feel like vert and I’m happy

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 07:11:59 AM »
Any transition heads have a tip on skating a full pipe? Its about a 12-15 foot diameter pipe. My issue is there’s no flat so it fucks me up and then when I actually can get enough of a rhythm to pump I find myself getting disoriented on where exactly I’m at in the pipe.  It’s kind of a drive for me to get there so I’m just curious if there’s any tips to help with the no flat and which fucks my rhythm and balance kinda and the disoriented feeling before driving out to try again.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 04:31:14 PM »
Any transition heads have a tip on skating a full pipe? Its about a 12-15 foot diameter pipe. My issue is there’s no flat so it fucks me up and then when I actually can get enough of a rhythm to pump I find myself getting disoriented on where exactly I’m at in the pipe.  It’s kind of a drive for me to get there so I’m just curious if there’s any tips to help with the no flat and which fucks my rhythm and balance kinda and the disoriented feeling before driving out to try again.

If it is longer so you can carve across it rather than going straight up and down. That helps to get used to no flat and makes the walls more mellow, so go up and then down the pipe, but generally any decent size full pipe (but not huge) like this one has about 6 to 7 ft transitions is going to be tight no matter what, so just compress a lot more and turn quickly.  We used to end up with too much speed very quickly when skating a couple of full pipes, but they were metal too, so it is different on concrete, especially older crusty concrete.

Have you ever skated bigger ramps, not necessarily vert ramps as they are almost mellow by comparison, but when you get higher on the walls, you have to stay a lot lower to keep balance.  Sort of like pool skating, but that is a different story.

Syllent_Deiity

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2022, 03:36:13 PM »
I feel like everyone else on this thread is more advanced than me but I wanted to ask how do transition skaters always know the right speed to have to get on the coping on different ramps and transitions? I’ve done a handful of BS slash grinds but they scare me as I have no feel as to what specific speed and pump force I need to reach the coping without going over, and I always feel like I’m going to go over the coping and hang up my back truck on the way down from the slash, which keeps me from pump harder…

Frank and Fred

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2022, 07:11:17 PM »
I feel like everyone else on this thread is more advanced than me but I wanted to ask how do transition skaters always know the right speed to have to get on the coping on different ramps and transitions? I’ve done a handful of BS slash grinds but they scare me as I have no feel as to what specific speed and pump force I need to reach the coping without going over, and I always feel like I’m going to go over the coping and hang up my back truck on the way down from the slash, which keeps me from pump harder…

That just comes down to familiarity I'm afraid. Just ease into it with some kick turns, gradually pump a little harder each wall and ease into some slashers. Do it a lot. Practicing on a half pipe might help before taking it to bowls and pools might help. Although in bowls and pools, you can take a wider line and carve into grinds, which can feel a little safer.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 08:59:30 PM »
Pumping on big stuff is more about intentionally doing less for me. Otherwise I burn my quads out quick and get sloppy by trying too hard to make speed. Peter Hewitt hardly bends his legs and boosts in a full pipe

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 09:50:07 PM »

It’s a touch faster than rock to fakie speed.
Like others said, you have to be comfortable and familiar with coping.

One thing I need to learn at 46 now that all the 8-year old kids at my local can do it is bs pivot to fakie.

I’ve heard this is easier on narrow trucks, snd I usually ride 9-inch trucks.

I also get that it’s a heel-toe movement, but I have a tough time getting into the ‘counter rotated’ position on the coping (lower body in line with coping, upper body perpendicular)

Any hints?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 06:15:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s a touch faster than rock to fakie speed.
Like others said, you have to be comfortable and familiar with coping.

One thing I need to learn at 46 now that all the 8-year old kids at my local can do it is bs pivot to fakie.

I’ve heard this is easier on narrow trucks, snd I usually ride 9-inch trucks.

I also get that it’s a heel-toe movement, but I have a tough time getting into the ‘counter rotated’ position on the coping (lower body in line with coping, upper body perpendicular)

Any hints?

I did a pivot to fakie on one of those Krooked Beemer boards, haha.

Can you feeble to fakie? Because that's much the gateway trick to pivot-fakies. The common error I see with a lot of folks trying either trick is they get really on top of the coping or just slash it with no board control, and that makes it a lot harder to come back in without getting locked or hung up. The "heel-toe" motion is key because when you're locking your truck, you wanna pinch it heelside so that you're stalling successfully without just sitting on top. Bringing it back in fakie is obviously the scary part, but if you're comfortable enough navigating the ramp you'll be fine. Idk what you call it, but you know that motion when you're warming up on the ramp and you pump up straight, lift your truck without doing a rock, then just roll back in fakie? It kinda feels like that. Not as dramatic as doing a fakie manny back down, but it's like a trust fall.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 09:06:30 PM »
Pivot fakie is the sexiest trick to me. But they are terrifying at the same time.