Author Topic: Coming out of the cave after 20 years...  (Read 748 times)

moeb74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Coming out of the cave after 20 years...
« on: February 23, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
Whats up guys... So Im coming out of the cave in over 20 years - looking to get back into it now into my 30s. Looks like a lot has changed but still remained the same to an extent. Im going to need some pointers here, if ya'll can help me get my new board set up.

For the board:
I have a size 11 shoe - so I was thinking 8" board? Maybe go a tad bigger? I dont want to go too big and have the size working against me while I try and get the flip tricks back down... Thinking about BBS or possibly the DLX ( they have better wood/molds? ) Never thought about WB or length - is there a standard choice/optimal?

For the trucks: I just bought whatever was in the cabinet at the time at the local skate shop. I think Id like to go with the Indys Stage 11 in Ti - Seems to make sense to lower the whole boards weight - no? I plan on buying at SW.com, so should I just match the truck size to the width of the board? ( 8" truck - 8" wide board ) What if I get say an 8.25" - Do I go with the 8" truck still?

For the wheels/bearings: Spitfire formula 4s seem to be the wheel to get and Id get it in 99a ( will be doing street only/tech stuff for now ) and in 52mm. Question: as long as it says Formula 4 - they're all the same just different graphics, correct? Bearings will be Reds of some sort... What about shape - Never paid attention this when I was younger. Suggestions on that as well?

For everything else: I think Im good on the rest - MOB grip tape seems to be a good choice, Shortys HW etc.

Thanks guys, excited to get back doing this again!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:50:30 PM by moeb74 »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Coming out of the cave after 20 years...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »
Get some.

Do you have a local shop tho?

Also make sure it says F4. Big heads are still for sale.

Why don't you score some loopholes or some dial tone. Sml wheels. NRG.

There's nothing wrong with f4 but if you wanna keep it street support the underground

Also hollow trucks I think are a better choice. Ti doesn't really make much difference unless you're near the axles in my opinion.

Also dlx 8.06? And 8.26.....
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 04:23:15 PM »
I’m just some dude, not some skateboard professor, but here’s my humble recommendations:

I’d go for 8.12 or 8.25 just based on your shoe size.  That being said, 8 would work perfectly fine too.

Titanium indy’s are great trucks: I’m on my second set of 144’s now myself.  Really can’t go wrong there.   

F4’s are another sure shot.  If you skate a lot of crusty stuff, maybe go with something slightly bigger and wider (conical fulls).  It makes your life a little easier if you’re on rough ground.

I’m a big fan of mini logo bearings.  Best bang for your bearing buck imo. 

Grip and hardware just get whatever.

Feel free to ignore any and all of what I just said; there’s people on here that know way more about this stuff than I do.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »
There are so many choices now so I’d like to help you put together a set up:

1st: Black grip is so 2000 and late. You need to bring some color into your set up

Next, shaped boards are the new new. I recommend your board have a functional shape:

Trucks are a key component of any ones set up and you are going to want some thing that inspires you to want to grind some shit:

Last but not least you are gonna want a nice pair of wheels. 99a-101a wheels are no longer the standard. You are gonna want something a bit softer that absorbs the harshness off the road. I think you should look at getting these:

As far as bolts and bearings, that shit don’t matter cause no one can see what you are riding.

I think the above combination is a great set up for getting back into skating.

I hope this shows you just a small sample of all the choices that are available now.

Happy skateboarding!

moeb74

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 05:24:55 PM »
Unreal lol

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 06:06:11 PM »
How tall and heavy are you and what type of skating are you aiming to do? I think that is more critical to sizing a board. I found it easier to adapt to a bigger a board myself but Im not focusing on technical flip tricks. I like my 8.75 and 9" boards. as for trucks its really hard to go wrong with any of the major brands but I like the Aces I just got. Spitfires formula Fours are a solid choice and there is definitely difference in shapes. Check out their website for a good diagram. I like the conical fulls for more riding surface. Something like the Classics are to narrow for me. Anything 56mm and above need risers most likely. Id suggest hitting up your local skate shop to not only support them in these critical times but get your eyes and hands on the new products and get some input from  the skaters that work there. Don't go to Zumiez lol. Just my opinion. I recently picked up skating again myself and this is some of the stuff I learned. Hope this helps. Happy skating. Oh yea. Dont waste your money on expensive bearings. Reds are good or anything else at that price point.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 06:15:54 PM »
I’m just some dude, not some skateboard professor, but here’s my humble recommendations:

I’d go for 8.12 or 8.25 just based on your shoe size.  That being said, 8 would work perfectly fine too.

Titanium indy’s are great trucks: I’m on my second set of 144’s now myself.  Really can’t go wrong there.   

F4’s are another sure shot.  If you skate a lot of crusty stuff, maybe go with something slightly bigger and wider (conical fulls).  It makes your life a little easier if you’re on rough ground.

I’m a big fan of mini logo bearings.  Best bang for your bearing buck imo. 

Grip and hardware just get whatever.

Feel free to ignore any and all of what I just said; there’s people on here that know way more about this stuff than I do.

This sounds like a good ride and one I would happily go for too, actually the same as one I have set up too.

The shape of an 8 I think would be a bit small, so 8.25 is better.

DLX 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wheelbase are generally the more common size and there are lots from Antihero, Real and Krooked (just avoid price point decks), so 144 trucks as mentioned (fit 8.25) and Spitfire Formula Four 99 duro 52 mm wheels in conical full are a nice wheel.

Depending on how much you weigh or how you like your trucks, you might find that the stock bushings are good, at 90 duro, or if you were more into tighter trucks, get some aftermarket bushings as well, which show as in stock on SW.

Bones hard are a good upgrade, and can be used with all stock washers on the trucks, or with the flat washers that come with them, and end up not that hard and still turn but are a lot more stable.  Not what I like to ride personally but a lot of people swear by them.

At least then you have options too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 08:31:43 PM »
echoing what other posters have said.

if you lean on the heavier/taller/lankier side consider a 8.18 - 8.5

14-14.5 wheelbase should work nice on relearning tricks with indys
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 11:10:01 PM »
If you've been in a cave.....an 8" will week just fine but consider that right now 8.25 is the norm because a lot of people just skipped learning nollie flips....you can buy an 8" for sure, you just don't have the same level of selection....52's are good.  Welcome back....

moeb74

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 08:15:48 AM »
Hey guys   so yeah I'm 6'0 175# but an athletic build. Still weight is weight...

I plan on doing flip trick, and maybe some street later on. But I gotta get all the basics back first.

So do I just get a mid truck or low? I think I'm going to go Indy's titanium like I said, And it looks like they only come in that one series 11 size. Right?

Are the DLX brands different wood / molds versus say deathwish or other BBS brands?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 08:38:24 AM »
Hey guys   so yeah I'm 6'0 175# but an athletic build. Still weight is weight...

I plan on doing flip trick, and maybe some street later on. But I gotta get all the basics back first.

So do I just get a mid truck or low? I think I'm going to go Indy's titanium like I said, And it looks like they only come in that one series 11 size. Right?

Are the DLX brands different wood / molds versus say deathwish or other BBS brands?

Re Indy trucks, the "normal" ones, nothing with low or mid height needed.  Ti or forged hollow are considered normal height and are good if you want less weight and have the funds to get whatever you want, as well.

DLX have their own molds and shapes, but the feel is very similar.  Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse use the more generic molds but generally have shorter boards, except for B2 which are steeper longer squared off shapes.

DGK also has similar, mostly shorter boards.

If you were more into the old 90s to 00s style, Spitfire Formula Four classic shape might be more to your liking than conical full.  They have all the info there, pics of the shapes, plenty in stock, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 08:44:57 AM »
You really can't go wrong with all DLX product.

8" real deck, Thunder 147 hi trucks, F4 Spitfire wheels (I usually get the full conical shape) and Bones Red bearings will probably be fine for you as you start getting back into it.

moeb74

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »
Cool cool. What WB and length should I look for??

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 02:27:57 PM »
Bro don't even worry about wheelbase and length right now. you're just getting back at it. get comfortable standing and pushing around again. After some time away I started skating again on a 9" cruiser with a 15" wheelbase, Venture 5.0, and softies that I found on the side of the road. It was weird and hard to pop/flip/land and ride away, but I'm actually kind of glad I skated it for my first month back because it was humbling for sure and there was no pressure to get most out of a financial investment. Get yourself an 8-8.5 and whatever Indy's correspond with width (139 or 149). Also, go to a local shop dude! get the feeling back. peace and have fun
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

moeb74

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 03:42:12 PM »
Bro don't even worry about wheelbase and length right now. you're just getting back at it. get comfortable standing and pushing around again. After some time away I started skating again on a 9" cruiser with a 15" wheelbase, Venture 5.0, and softies that I found on the side of the road. It was weird and hard to pop/flip/land and ride away, but I'm actually kind of glad I skated it for my first month back because it was humbling for sure and there was no pressure to get most out of a financial investment. Get yourself an 8-8.5 and whatever Indy's correspond with width (139 or 149). Also, go to a local shop dude! get the feeling back. peace and have fun
Thanks man.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 07:53:33 PM »

those numbers check out - stronger legs = more hang time
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 01:07:10 PM »
Everything you’ve listed sounds great. I’d suggest if you have a local shop to go there and stand on a few boards to get a better sense of the width and shape. If you don’t have a local just go with whatever 8-8.25 are good choices. Can’t go wrong with any DLX or Bareback decks.