Author Topic: Cup sole or vulcanized  (Read 5892 times)

Space Cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 69
Cup sole or vulcanized
« on: January 07, 2021, 12:00:00 PM »
Usually the Cup sole or Vulcanized sole is a matter of opinion, but honestly, I've been swapping between both and can't feel any difference between them. I don't know if it's because I skate rails more than flat ground and tech or something. I'm curious why people prefer one or the other, and the difference noticed between them by other skaters.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
Re: Cup sole or vulcanized
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:24:59 PM »
Wait until you’re over 35 and it will all become clearer.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 08:08:30 PM »
I try to get cupsoles if they’re on sale or a score at Ross..... lately

I’ve been just getting Vulcanized because it’s all I can get.

My biggest complaint about vulk shoes are the separation between the rubber and the outer rubber layer.

Cupsole’s hold up well but the flaws are they’re kinda stiff by the time they break in they’re beat feeling.
Dueces Bitch's

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 08:50:51 PM »
No matter how many times I try cupsoles I can never get enough boardfeel. I picked up a pair of crockett his so maybe that will change my tune, until then I'll stick to vulcs.

This may be entirely due to effects of MS and me not having as much feeling in my right foot anymore, particularly in summer months when it's hot out (but I'm only able to skate for ~30 mins if it's that bad out anyway).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 10:49:17 PM »
I've kinda noticed some strange nuances about skating the Tyshawns/vulc....board feel sucks but you don't need to be as precise, like kickflips feel like my feet aren't set right, but it does matter because you can really force your foot.  Plus they don't flex out or give when you're flicking or moving them around.  I guess I just never thought that more support would lead to something equally as responsive.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 10:55:49 PM »
Vulc and haven't looked back since, but my feet scream in pain every night when I got to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Vulcs feel a little too grippy at the start but by the end of the first session they've reached the sweet spot of grip and flick.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 03:30:06 AM »
I kinda go back and forth with cup and vulc shoes. I prefer the way cup soles look and the better protection you get but I love the board feel and flexibility you get with a vulcanized shoe. I've been wearing Half Cab pros for a while now and don't see that changing unless Nike makes Dunks more obtainable again.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 05:29:58 AM »
Cup all the way. Cant stand vulcanized or Vans.

Nike SB Team Classic has been a cup sole model Ive skate, had maybe 5-6 pairs, good but wear down really quickly. Loved the NB 288. Bought some 288s and some 440s for the spring. No more Nikes for now, wear down to quicky, however they skate quite well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »
I am the opposite, so only Vans vulc soles all the way, mainly because I can manipulate them from new to fit and hold my busted old feet and ankles exactly how I need them, without my ankles rolling inwards.

Cupsoles and normal work boots often make my ankles roll in and if I am in them too long, I am not going anywhere in a hurry for a while afterwards.

There are probably lots of things I could be doing or buying expensive insoles or seeing doctors, but an angle grinder and some cardboard is all I need to make any new pair of shoes pretty much perfect within five minutes out of the box for every single session until they are retired and I set up a new pair.

Good quality insoles is definitely a plus though.  Having insoles that don't work for you is also a foot killer.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 06:35:33 AM »
I am the opposite, so only Vans vulc soles all the way, mainly because I can manipulate them from new to fit and hold my busted old feet and ankles exactly how I need them, without my ankles rolling inwards.

Cupsoles and normal work boots often make my ankles roll in and if I am in them too long, I am not going anywhere in a hurry for a while afterwards.

There are probably lots of things I could be doing or buying expensive insoles or seeing doctors, but an angle grinder and some cardboard is all I need to make any new pair of shoes pretty much perfect within five minutes out of the box for every single session until they are retired and I set up a new pair.

Good quality insoles is definitely a plus though.  Having insoles that don't work for you is also a foot killer.

Curious about the angle grinder......

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »

I put the shoe in a bench jam (like a vice) with the sole up, then grind off about 2mm of the white vulc trim all round not really touching the gum, but take off a bit more (maybe 5mm and some gum) on the outside edge and round the toe, so the shoe feels super rounded and "well skated" but the gum sole is still unworn in the main area.

People are often horrified when I try to explain it to them, but almost always when they try the shoe on, they understand how nicely worn in it is.

Cardboard to shape an "orthotic" heel piece that goes under the pro insole I put in, cut and folded to sit higher on the inner side and raise the whole heel a bit more than the toe, as the insole is fairly flat.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 11:24:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I put the shoe in a bench jam (like a vice) with the sole up, then grind off about 2mm of the white vulc trim all round not really touching the gum, but take off a bit more (maybe 5mm and some gum) on the outside edge and round the toe, so the shoe feels super rounded and "well skated" but the gum sole is still unworn in the main area.

People are often horrified when I try to explain it to them, but almost always when they try the shoe on, they understand how nicely worn in it is.

Cardboard to shape an "orthotic" heel piece that goes under the pro insole I put in, cut and folded to sit higher on the inner side and raise the whole heel a bit more than the toe, as the insole is fairly flat.

Pretty interesting, makes sense but I would have never thought to try that haha

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 02:08:04 PM »
Back when STI was putting System G2 impact gel in everything, I would 100% say cupsoles are my favorites. The Emerica Herman G6 was my favorite shoe of all time. These days, insoles in every shoe are much better and some vulcs feel as stable as cupsoles. I've also skated newer cupsoles that felt thinner than vulcs I've skated before. Overall, I'm probably still a cupsole guy because of the easier flicking.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 02:13:43 PM »
Always been a Vulc guy, but these new Crockett Hi's I just bought got me thinking that might be no longer be the case
Proverbs 27:17

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 02:58:51 PM »
I can't skate vulcs because they give me serious metatarsalgia. Cupsoles feel like pillows for the feet and knees.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 07:16:21 PM »
Always been a Vulc guy, but these new Crockett Hi's I just bought got me thinking that might be no longer be the case

Aren't they the "wafflecup" sole, so actually a cup sole made with the waffle sole grip.  I have never cut any up to check, but that is how they are marketed.

Best of both worlds, apparently.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 11:01:49 PM »
Angle grinder makes sense a brand new pair of halfcabs with those sharp sidewalls seems like an accident waiting to happen.....

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 05:13:33 PM »
Currently skating cupsole that feel like vulc. I had plantar fasciitis and couldn't skate vulc for almost a year, now I use extra insoles if I skate vulc.
Cocteau Twins

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 03:40:56 AM »
Cupsoles: Boil for 5 minutes, bury in clay for a week, belt sander, rinse and then tumble dry.

Vulc: Toaster oven on medium for 3 minutes/start to smell fumes, freezer overnight, give both a little kiss, tumble dry.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 08:53:54 PM »
I skated vulc for years before I got back into cup soles. I usually wear my shoes for at least 3 weeks before I skate them and they are good to go. After 1 skate sesh theyre set. I feel less impact which helps with my bad ankles. I still will skate some vulcs though since either way i stay low impact.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 02:33:44 PM »
Cupsoles: Boil for 5 minutes, bury in clay for a week, belt sander, rinse and then tumble dry.

Vulc: Toaster oven on medium for 3 minutes/start to smell fumes, freezer overnight, give both a little kiss, tumble dry.

Thank you so much I needed this, how long do you let the Vulc thaw for before tumble dry?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:47:04 PM by Space Cowboy »

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 01:52:24 AM »
I've got very flat feet and wobbly ankles, so cupsole every time for me personally. Being a bit older I appreciate the extra cushioning and general support.

I would take staying injury free and supported over board feel any day of the week, i've had vulcs as casual shoes in the past and even walking around for a few hours isn't a particularly enjoyable experience!

I have noticed a big difference between the leather and suede versions of the same cupsoles though (I've skated three pairs of DC Maswell back to back, two suede and one leather), leather definately stay stiffer for longer, and last longer, but I like the way suede cupsoles soften up after a few weeks of use...down side there is they tend to blow out on the toes quicker than leather.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 11:08:29 AM »
A few weeks ago I walked around for 4 hours with vulc shoes, my hip hurt so bad I had to sit around for a while before I could continue to walk. Is there like a place on here where we can discuss the most comfy cupsole shoes? Maybe an idea for a thread? Anyone down for that?
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 04:10:49 PM »
A few weeks ago I walked around for 4 hours with vulc shoes, my hip hurt so bad I had to sit around for a while before I could continue to walk. Is there like a place on here where we can discuss the most comfy cupsole shoes? Maybe an idea for a thread? Anyone down for that?

From having many issues with ankles and other lower body parts, the main thing is having correct alignment with your ankles, so any shoes will give you more issues if your ankles are turned in, even cup soles.  The old doctor recommended orthotic shoe insole was rather expensive and quite hard in the heel, but by working out how much angle I needed, I pretty much made my own with cardboard to sit under my insole of choice and it works a treat, as well as being free.

Just one thing I realised for myself, but is not necessarily going to work for everyone, but going to one of those shoe fitter places, or even the sports shoe store to have the footprint checked and then they recommend something from there helps too, so you can see what you need.

I have seen but never bought the orthotic insoles from Footprint or other places but I have heard they work wonders too.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 12:18:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

From having many issues with ankles and other lower body parts, the main thing is having correct alignment with your ankles, so any shoes will give you more issues if your ankles are turned in, even cup soles.  The old doctor recommended orthotic shoe insole was rather expensive and quite hard in the heel, but by working out how much angle I needed, I pretty much made my own with cardboard to sit under my insole of choice and it works a treat, as well as being free.

Just one thing I realised for myself, but is not necessarily going to work for everyone, but going to one of those shoe fitter places, or even the sports shoe store to have the footprint checked and then they recommend something from there helps too, so you can see what you need.

I have seen but never bought the orthotic insoles from Footprint or other places but I have heard they work wonders too.

I have those orthotic insoles from footprint, but only for skating. Haven't thought about putting them in my working shoes ^^ but I still want to see a doctor and maybe get, you know legit medical insoles.
IG: @flowterspace

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2021, 06:10:25 PM »
My vote is footprint insoles inside an emerica pour in g6. The spanky shoe feels great as far as cushioning in the midsole, and this combo gives me better board feel than my Rowan pro’s, and way better impact protection. The few dc cups I tried had too slim of insoles to fit the footprints, and the flick is more rounded than most sole tech. Etnies joslin or marana both have good midsole as well.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2021, 02:43:47 AM »
I had to switch away from FP gamechangers to Remind Destin insoles... 3 ankle rolls in 6 months in the FPs, they were tilting my feet outward too much whilst also raising them too high in the shoe, that coupled with fairly weak ankles just made a perfect storm for ankle rollage.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2021, 03:36:25 AM »
Is there like a place on here where we can discuss the most comfy cupsole shoes? Maybe an idea for a thread? Anyone down for that?

Just go for it dude, I’ll be cheering you on from the sidelines.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2021, 10:44:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Second having proper sports / orthotic insoles to correct foot and arch alignment, which in turn corrects your knees and hips to prevent pronation. Footprint insoles provide more cushion and slight arch support, I personally would go with stiffer ones from Super Feet that have a rigid plastic layer to correct flat feet. I feel that has helped reduced my instances of ankle tweaks, knee and calf fatigue.

If don' think most people will need custom insoles, off the shelf ones from performance running stores should suffice for skateboarders.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2021, 03:37:05 PM »
i used to be team cup all the way i like how they're usually higher on the ankle and provide more stability kind of. Stepping in a low vulc makes me feel like ill roll my ankle walking

I used to think boardfeel was a marketing gimmick to sell thin cheaply made shoes

I skated a thinner cup i bought on sale that i hated at first because it offer less impact protection but end up liking it very much. Boardfeel is not a scam!