Author Topic: Cup sole or vulcanized  (Read 5888 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Cup sole or vulcanized
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2021, 10:50:05 PM »
Cups for sure.

Vulcs are fine if you got a good insole especially fp. I can't afford Fp anymore.

I been getting vulcs because it's all I can get
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2021, 12:09:45 AM »
A few weeks ago I walked around for 4 hours with vulc shoes, my hip hurt so bad I had to sit around for a while before I could continue to walk. Is there like a place on here where we can discuss the most comfy cupsole shoes? Maybe an idea for a thread? Anyone down for that?

That's not a bad idea but I'll throw some options out right now.
What I notice that makes the cupsoles comfy is:

a) adequate padding throughout and not too thin. I personally don't like cups or vulcs that give zero support in padding in the collar/heel cup. It's so frustrating seeing all these paper thin vulc/cup uppers on shoes nowadays.

b) a sole that's in between hard and soft. Something like a Kalis S, Marana, NB 868/1010, Joslin 1, Joslin 2, Evant, Silo (one of the comfiest to chill in, imo), Tyshawn, Reynolds G6, etc.

c) A dense but somewhat squishy insole: G6, Pro Foam 1, STI Energy, State Footwear, etc. I tend to see shoes that have harder soles with foam insoles are not that comfortable, where softer soles with PU, dense insoles are comfortable, albeit somewhat thin. A cupsole that's in between those two ends for a sole compound with a quality insole is a dream come true, to me. *heart eyes*

Also, most vulcs get floppy and become so unpredictable so quickly. I can skate in a SoleTech cupsole for nearly 2 months and the structure is not that compromised. In fact, a broken in "floppy" cupsole from certain brands protects you better than a large number of brand new vulcs (Nike vulcs, Cons vulcs, Hufs, Adidas, etc.)

There's plenty of board feel in cups once you find the right combo of sole thickness/insole to flex. They break in so well, too.

This is gonna sound weird but I feel like I get better grip from cupsoles where I have to put more effort to put my foot into place/push harder when setting up compared to vulcs where they are so responsive it can be overwhelming. Does anyone else notice this or am I crazy?

I have been selling, donating, and finding ways to get rid of my vulcs. I have a few I'm keeping but it's cupsoles all the way for me. I still have some and may consider selling them to Pals on here if I can figure out the right way to set that up.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 12:18:06 AM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2021, 10:38:11 AM »
I had to switch away from FP gamechangers to Remind Destin insoles... 3 ankle rolls in 6 months in the FPs, they were tilting my feet outward too much whilst also raising them too high in the shoe, that coupled with fairly weak ankles just made a perfect storm for ankle rollage.
same thing here. fp gamechangers were taking up way too much space in my shoe despite being the same height as my stock insole, also pushed my foot way too far out and resulted in an ankle sprain. i got them replaced with the 3mm non orthopedic ones from fp to try out and those honestly aren't feeling much better except now my hell hurts like a bitch after a sesh. i can't personally reccommend fp but don't have a substitute that i've found works yet.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2021, 06:44:30 PM »
I removed my post about liking vulcs with a good insole as much as cupsoles. I've been skating cupsoles exclusively for weeks and I can't believe how much better I feel, and also how much more stable they feel while skating. Plus it rules to just be able to skate something out of the box.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2021, 07:20:13 PM »
Got my first cups in December, Accel slims. I want to buy half cabs again, they're wide and loose, I like seeing them when I look down but man, skating since in cupsoles my feet don't hurt anymore. Looking forward to trying the #440s I've got on deck.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2021, 11:22:18 PM »
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2021, 05:00:10 AM »
Ive recently discovered cupsoles and its been a huge difference. Ive got a noob question.
How can you tell if a shoe is cupsole when shopping online? Ive been looking for stitching on the side of the soles but apparently there are cupsoles manufactured that dont have that.

Fhk

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2021, 05:27:43 AM »
Ive recently discovered cupsoles and its been a huge difference. Ive got a noob question.
How can you tell if a shoe is cupsole when shopping online? Ive been looking for stitching on the side of the soles but apparently there are cupsoles manufactured that dont have that.
Just come here and ask before ordering. I promise you someone here will have your answer.  :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2021, 06:09:07 AM »

I guess shoes in general are getting closer together, when there used to be such a divide between the thin vulc soled shoes and the big chunky cup soles triple stitched and all that, but now wafflecup and all the other mod cons in the R & D areas of the shoe companies which are making shoes seem not quite at odds or extremes with one another.

The easiest way if you cannot see the shoes in person is to look up other pics of them, as most retailers will only have limited pics like the side silhouette, some will have the full top, bottom, or 360 view spin option too, so you can see all over the shoe.

I am sure asking on here would never get old as there is always someone to help with any question as well.

Most vulc soles will have a thinner look to them and often but not always an overlapping strip that seems different to the sole.

A lot more cup soles have a few more tech looking additions to the sole or round the sole area, so although it might not look like a big old stitched on piece, it will often have more going on in the middle, or round the back or little tells that show the performance aspect.

Many should have something in the fine print in the manufacturer listings, website or social media too, not just the generic single pic with minimal info from some shop sites.

Probably too much info, but that should be a good start.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2021, 09:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the great answers Pals. That helps.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2021, 04:59:20 PM »
All the pros people mention for Vulc is what I personally dislike about them. Board feel, in my opinion is secondary to support. I find cups soles in general to be much more supportive and keep their form for longer. I want a shoe that feels solid, not that flops around and is so thin I can feel stepping on rocks. Board feel is less in a cup sole but more than adequate. I got used to it overtime and in my case learned to prefer it. Id rather have the support that keeps my feet and legs from getting super sore and be able to skate more frequently.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »
Cupsoles all the way. I made the switch like 6 years ago and have skated only skated 1 pair of Vulcs which made my feet hurt after days of heavy skating, and a pair of Lakai Furas that I had as chillers and would skate when cruising around which were pretty sick not gonna lie but didn't feel as supportive. I actually switched back to cupsoles because they made my feet safer, lasted longer and look doper (IMO).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:25:16 PM by gsosa »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2021, 04:11:24 PM »
Currently skating cupsole that feel like vulc. I had plantar fasciitis and couldn't skate vulc for almost a year, now I use extra insoles if I skate vulc.

I can't skate vulcs because they give me serious metatarsalgia. Cupsoles feel like pillows for the feet and knees.

Main reasons why I [should] stay away from Vulcs. Switched to vulc last Jan (FP insoles) and had both the above happen (+plus a fucking heel spur) around June (Rowans/DC). Couldn't skate for longer than an hour or two at a time. I do wear some slipon pros around the house like slippers to keep the pain away tho, hardwood floors and bare feet just exacerbate those issues.

Now that my feet are fully healed up, I'm going straight to cupsoles.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2021, 11:04:45 PM »
Wait until you’re over 35 and it will all become clearer.

haha word up! started to feel your point around my 31st birthday but yeah, pretty much that

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2021, 11:10:36 PM »
Expand Quote
A few weeks ago I walked around for 4 hours with vulc shoes, my hip hurt so bad I had to sit around for a while before I could continue to walk. Is there like a place on here where we can discuss the most comfy cupsole shoes? Maybe an idea for a thread? Anyone down for that?
[close]

This is gonna sound weird but I feel like I get better grip from cupsoles where I have to put more effort to put my foot into place/push harder when setting up compared to vulcs where they are so responsive it can be overwhelming. Does anyone else notice this or am I crazy?

you're not alone on that feeling, totally happens to me as well

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2021, 11:30:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you're not alone on that feeling, totally happens to me as well

Feeling this too, first cup sole in 2 years and the reduction in responsiveness on the flick is quite liberating. I flick out very hard during kickflips and with a vulc it feels like my shoe catches way too much board. With a cupsole it doesn't catch the grip as hard, so coupled with a hard flick, the board flips just right.

The difference is grip seems overrated, but I did swap from plain black grip to Jessup and a fresh cupsole from a Shoe Goo'd vulc. The thicker sole did feel like it wanted to hold the deck better ledge tricks, especially noticeable when I was coming off a slide or grind. Maybe the extra padding and grip from DC's pill pattern gave me the confidence to stomp the exit.

Padding is definitely way better too, my feet aren't aching when I go to use the toilet in the middle of the night. Board feel takes a hit but I haven't tried a lot of tech tricks to feel the difference.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:37:22 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2021, 12:47:14 PM »
I think there are variations in shoe design that make a bigger difference in feel between just vulc. vs. cupsole. Cheap vulcs are heavy, flat-footed, and make my feet hurt walking around, and generally don't fit my feet that well. A good cup like the adi 3ST 003 feels thinner and more flexible on my foot than any vulc.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2021, 10:30:25 PM »
I've skated Nike GT Blazers for years but recently swapped to Vans Half Cab Pros.  They're way more comfy, but I find myself skating worse in them as i'm so used to the paper thin Nikes.  I want more support still thought than the Nikes, so i'm looking at Cup soles.  What Cup soles give a good middle ground?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2021, 12:22:25 PM »
I've skated Nike GT Blazers for years but recently swapped to Vans Half Cab Pros.  They're way more comfy, but I find myself skating worse in them as i'm so used to the paper thin Nikes.  I want more support still thought than the Nikes, so i'm looking at Cup soles.  What Cup soles give a good middle ground?

I made a thread for questions like that.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115395.0

Personally I like Manchester XLK or XLK soles by Lakai in general.
IG: @flowterspace

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2021, 03:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I made a thread for questions like that.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115395.0

Personally I like Manchester XLK or XLK soles by Lakai in general.

Thanks! Posted there too.