Author Topic: cuffing pants or cut the bottoms with scissors?  (Read 4061 times)

imposter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -63
Re: cuffing pants or cut the bottoms with scissors?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2021, 06:21:47 AM »
my mom beat my ass for cutting my pants in 2009 i wouldn't recommend it

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
I just started learning how to hem pants with my girlfriend’s sewing machine the other day and i’ve been hooked. already did 3 pairs and still have more waiting in line. i can’t believe I haven’t tried to learn this earlier. if you have access to a sewing machine, I highly recommend trying it. it’s a lot simpler than you might think.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »
I buy shit that fits, can't rock cuffs (and a crease) or cut
gnarred for snoop

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2021, 11:31:03 AM »
Pro tip: Buy pants that fit. No cuff or cut

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For some unknown reason I cannot cuff my jeans/pants. It just looks way off on my body. Always have to search high and low for a short inseam. Only thing I wear as cutoffs are shorts.
[close]

DM me some photos/video like a man and I can try to walk you through it.  We’re going to figure this thing out together.
[close]

I recommend a pinch cuff

If you pinch your cuff, that shit ain’t going nowhere.

I always called this a French cuff and my girlfriend always looks at me like I’m high. But I never heard it called anything else.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -41
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2021, 01:16:52 PM »
Cuff for sure. I usually rock at least one full cuff, not a fan of the half cuff unless the pants are real rigid. Cutting is a no-go for me.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For some unknown reason I cannot cuff my jeans/pants. It just looks way off on my body. Always have to search high and low for a short inseam. Only thing I wear as cutoffs are shorts.
[close]

DM me some photos/video like a man and I can try to walk you through it.  We’re going to figure this thing out together.
[close]

I recommend a pinch cuff

[close]

I always called this a French cuff and my girlfriend always looks at me like I’m high. But I never heard it called anything else.
I always heard this referred to as a pin-roll. I used to do this about eight years ago but these days hate the way it looks, style should look effortless.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2021, 12:01:29 PM »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2021, 02:20:55 PM »
ABC-Always Be Cuffing
I’ve gone up pants sizes and having picked up a size bigger pants has helped and being influenced by Dylan/Greasers. I thought it was a good look. Some brands don’t offer my correct length and it’s annoying but I do have pants I don’t cuff and use them to mix up my wardrobe.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 94
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2021, 03:07:52 PM »
Cuff mine
Cocteau Twins

clintendo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2021, 04:48:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agree on the cut off shorts - Dickies 874 all day every day, normal long pants except on super hot days and then it is cut offs.

When I bought a whole lot of very cheap long length 874s from a clearance lot, I got them taken up to the right length by a professional shop and they turned out great.  I am glad I did that the ten or more years ago now because the other ones that I left long just feel weird when I cuff them up, even though I wear them more just going out sometimes.

Brimmo how is your stash of 874's these days?

Have you noticed a change in the new ones, say after 2018?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2021, 05:00:58 PM »

I haven't really bought a whole lot from recently made lots, I think the pair I just got last has 2012 on the tag (second hand from ebay), but some newer ones I have seen are a bit more of the questionable quality it would seem.  I know a clip broke very quickly on one new pair I saw.  I had one clip break a long time ago when I was trying different sizes, these ones just 34 so were tight in the waist compared to my usual 36 when I realised about the sizes, but the clip didn't give up easily.

You had some interesting issues with newer versions?
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

clintendo

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2021, 05:08:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I haven't really bought a whole lot from recently made lots, I think the pair I just got last has 2012 on the tag (second hand from ebay), but some newer ones I have seen are a bit more of the questionable quality it would seem.  I know a clip broke very quickly on one new pair I saw.  I had one clip break a long time ago when I was trying different sizes, these ones just 34 so were tight in the waist compared to my usual 36 when I realised about the sizes, but the clip didn't give up easily.

You had some interesting issues with newer versions?

Normally a pair of 874 Originals will last years to the average skateboarder but over the last couple of years i'm noticing a more synthetic feel to the pants I've been given or brought and they just dont seem to be as durable as back when yourself and others got me onto them.

I just got a couple of new ones and will test... but I'm going to try the old frangdangle trick of washing the hell of them first before skating in them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2021, 05:20:13 PM »

Normally a pair of 874 Originals will last years to the average skateboarder but over the last couple of years i'm noticing a more synthetic feel to the pants I've been given or brought and they just dont seem to be as durable as back when yourself and others got me onto them.

I just got a couple of new ones and will test... but I'm going to try the old frangdangle trick of washing the hell of them first before skating in them.

I am still sitting on a ton of 36 in 874, 875 and double knee I never cut off - happy to share if 36 is your size?

If I recall you were a cuff guy too, just to keep the conversation relevant to the thread.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

clintendo

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2021, 09:07:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am still sitting on a ton of 36 in 874, 875 and double knee I never cut off - happy to share if 36 is your size?

If I recall you were a cuff guy too, just to keep the conversation relevant to the thread.

Cheers Brimmo, will have to catch up after lockdown

Yes I'm a cuff guy as well, damn choad of a body means wider size = long legs.

I'm due to get some pairs professionally taken up again

pinkeye fieri

• Rep: 1
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »
My pants (loose fit dickies) tend to stick to my calves/knees/thighs when I skate, making it difficult to bring my knees up when i ollie, so I cut the bottoms because it makes them looser/easier for me to move around in.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »
Cuff.  Fun fact: Mike Carroll said the only reason people had the cut off high waters way back when was because they fucked up and cut off too much.  Now it's the go to thing for a lot of skaters.

thefriscokid

• Rep: 6
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 07:30:59 AM »
Cuff.  Fun fact: Mike Carroll said the only reason people had the cut off high waters way back when was because they fucked up and cut off too much.  Now it's the go to thing for a lot of skaters.

sometimes the cut off high waters with white socks makes you look like a teenage farmer
two times

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2021, 09:26:35 AM »
I have real short legs that they don’t make adult pant sizes for. Used to cuff or cut depending on how long they were, now I support my local tailor. Shout out to Mukhtar for always hooking it up

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 09:43:28 AM »
The point of the cut off way back was also because the goal was to get the biggest pair of pants......the cut longer pant...was a bigger pant. 

Honestly dickies is the vans of pants.....a staple...but all over the map.  They use different factories I think so there's all sorts of inconsistencies, and 8 different cuts of the same pants...

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2021, 12:58:40 PM »
Typically the double cuff with dickes, my mom used to get pissed when I cut the pants with scissors so I started wearing cutoffs more when I moved out as I never got to do it. Both look sick in my opinion

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2021, 01:07:04 PM »
I got some pairs of pants I cut, a couple pairs that were hemmed, some I'll cuff, some that are good to just wear. as long as my pants aren't dragging on the ground I'm good.

also depends on the shoes. I feel like half cabs or blazer mids look like shit with cut pants. but chucks or slip ons look fine.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2021, 01:07:23 PM »
I get long jeans so can have one big cuff...always wear boots...maybe because my definition of cool is The Fonz and T-Birds ever since i was 8 years old.

For pants and skating I’m kinda tall so dickies fit pretty well, sit right on the shoe, and i don’t like cropping to show socks, so don’t need to cuff or cut

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »
whats your favorite go to method? i usually just do the half cuff, not 1 whole cuff, or use scissors and cut them highwater style

half to full cuff depending on the shoe

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2021, 11:08:10 AM »
I swear cutting your jeans is some sociopath shit.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2021, 09:59:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I recommend a pinch cuff

This has breathed new life into some older pants I thought were too wide where the cuff hits the shoe. I  only bring it in a tad, but I feel like I’m wearing tailored pants now. Wearing straight-legged pants like 874s or 501s with Penny loafers or 3-eye Docs finally sort of makes sense. Sincere thank you for this tip.

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 10
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2021, 12:07:24 PM »
Docker D3 fit. Yes haha D3 but makes life easier when you’re a 34 w x 29 l. That way you get that perfect socks showing but not Capri pant look. Also comes in like every color...

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2021, 12:10:42 PM »
Always cuff, if I can find pants long enough I'll do the double cuff and that is the best.

Double cuffer here. Also my pants tend to be too long, the still cover my ankle and part of the shoe.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2021, 07:14:29 PM »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea