Author Topic: Jenkem Skateboard drought of 2020 article  (Read 6162 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Jenkem Skateboard drought of 2020 article
« on: January 07, 2021, 03:24:57 PM »
A LOOK AT THE SKATEBOARD DROUGHT OF 2020

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/01/07/look-skateboard-drought-2020/

Anyone else read this yet?

Saw it from Generator on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJwlNVBF4Fz/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Eric Dolphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
Re: Jenkem Skateboard drought of 2020 article
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 03:31:18 PM »
I wouldn't call that a look, I'd call it a passing glance and a waste of 3min reading it. Nothing we didn't know, no insights, just filler

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 05:06:34 PM »
I wouldn't call that a look, I'd call it a passing glance and a waste of 3min reading it. Nothing we didn't know, no insights, just filler

I thought it was pretty insightful, as far as hearing from people within the industry goes. People from shops, woodshops and distributors all talking numbers and what they experienced throughout 2020. You gotta remember that not all skaters read Slap and might not hear some of the stuff we read here. On top of that, Slap is basically a rumour mill, so it's good to hear right from the horse's mouth.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:03:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought it was pretty insightful, as far as hearing from people within the industry goes. People from shops, woodshops and distributors all talking numbers and what they experienced throughout 2020. You gotta remember that not all skaters read Slap and might not hear some of the stuff we read here. On top of that, Slap is basically a rumour mill, so it's good to hear right from the horse's mouth.
To be fair the stuff at the start about BBS was interesting, from 7,000 to 10,000 boards a day, the owner having covid and offering paid leave to his staff, that was worth clicking the link.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 06:47:32 PM »
I'm curious as to how many shops ended up closing or are going to anyway. I feel like it went in 2 really different directions for sales during all this, some places had people stocking up and hoarding products while the other side is people like me just burning through their stockpile of stuff.

DJPhantasmagloria

• Rep: -4
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »
If they would of continued work and told tptb to fuck off this wouldn’t be a problem

TheFandangler

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 02:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
To be fair the stuff at the start about BBS was interesting, from 7,000 to 10,000 boards a day, the owner having covid and offering paid leave to his staff, that was worth clicking the link.

So what you're saying is that you back everything you said in your first post. Gotcha.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 03:13:39 AM »
The best part of that article was the link to that BBS video, currently considering moving to Mexico and sanding skate decks for the rest of my days.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 03:30:36 AM »
I'm curious as to how many shops ended up closing or are going to anyway. I feel like it went in 2 really different directions for sales during all this, some places had people stocking up and hoarding products while the other side is people like me just burning through their stockpile of stuff.

It was crazy about hearing shops can't get product. 

Copthorne14

• Rep: -24
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 03:35:12 AM »
I'm curious why demand is so high? Olympics? Lockdowns giving people more free time? That tony hawk remake game causing an uptick in new skaters?

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 04:02:40 AM »
Skateboarding being an individual activity plus cancelled extra curricular activities had parents looking for ways to keep their kids active. I work in sales so this was good for me until it was too backed up and I could no longer make money. Bitter sweet for sure hope they are more prepared this year.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 05:13:03 AM »
I'm curious why demand is so high? Olympics? Lockdowns giving people more free time? That tony hawk remake game causing an uptick in new skaters?

Its numerous things.  But every outdoor activity and anything where you can do it on your own (guitar sales are up as well)
has seen an increase in sales.   

Couple that increased demand with some wood shops the workers weren't showing up out of fear of the virus....Trump adding tariffs to Canadian wood imports sure didn't help with the price.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 07:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Its numerous things.  But every outdoor activity and anything where you can do it on your own (guitar sales are up as well)
has seen an increase in sales.   

Couple that increased demand with some wood shops the workers weren't showing up out of fear of the virus....Trump adding tariffs to Canadian wood imports sure didn't help with the price.

Yeah, there have been hard good shortages for a lot of outdoor sports. Over the summer soft top surfboards were back ordered everywhere. And bike shops were basically cleared out, it was insane to see. I’d walk into my local and they were completely backed up with repairs while the new bike sales racks were like 80% empty. Felt like the pictures we used to see of Soviet or Cuban department stores as kids. Guess we’re the shithole now, lol

cool spot

• Rep: 28
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »
Would have been more interesting to hear about how this affected big brands versus small brands. I heard some talk about bigger companies outbidding small companies by huge margins to jump the line in production, keeping small brands from producing anything and furthering that gap between big and small.

It's pretty core for the skate industry to mimic the larger US economy during COVID and make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 09:38:03 AM »
Would have been more interesting to hear about how this affected big brands versus small brands. I heard some talk about bigger companies outbidding small companies by huge margins to jump the line in production, keeping small brands from producing anything and furthering that gap between big and small.

It's pretty core for the skate industry to mimic the larger US economy during COVID and make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

i think this happens anywhere covid hit really hard and is still going. the only people i know that still can work as normal or even more work in health or child care. even most office drones had work cut, since there is less going on. half my circle of friends is out of work. my governments mostly hands out big time money to big corps to not have them lay off people, but there was no agreement, and these corps still did lay offs regardless.

granted, in europe most countries have basic insurance and unemployment (EDIT i mean welfare in case you get fired), but for freelancers like my best friend, that mostly just kicks in after you have proven you have liquidated your savings. meanwhile most ceos over here made the same money or more than last year.

managers are not going out of the fiscal year without their bonuses.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:51:29 AM by Frank »

Ibrowning2

• Rep: 1
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 09:42:37 AM »
Hey dudes, glad you're hyped on the article, or think it's just filler. Thanks for reading, either way.

A few responses to things:
-My overall impressions is that most shops did well last year. The demand for skateboards was unprecedented; before lockdown you had shows like Betty hyping up different demographics of skating and the Tony Hawk games getting people interested too.

Once lockdown hit, you had millions of people sitting on their couches who couldn't go to the gym, play team sports, go to the bars, or, you know, do most anything. Skating was one of the few activities that seemed safe. So a LOT of them bought completes. When you add that on top of every skater who used lockdown as an excuse to skate a ton, there was a huge surge in demand for hardgoods.

-Would have loved to talk to a few more brands here, but it's tough to get some people to talk. Some brands just don't want to air things out publicly, or even talk about where their factories are.

-I've heard some noise about bigger brands muscling their way to the front of the production line ahead of small brands, but I think that's a whole different article. It is crazy how there are a handful of factories that really keep most of the industry running.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 09:50:00 AM »
Thanks for posting.  You have to be a real industry deep throat to consider this "filler".

Hope some independent shops profited from it, they deserve it.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 12:06:48 PM »
This article was worth it alone to hear about the owner of BBS contracting COVID and then offering all of their employees paid leave. Respect for that, I wish that more businesses operated that way.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »
I stocked up on decks and got some extra trucks and wheels
Cocteau Twins

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 06:11:11 PM »

Not everyone is on Slap every day, reading about board shortages
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »

I talked about this in another thread, but my observation as a veteran of the bicycle industry was that the shops with good lines of credit, in good standing with distributors, and with some capital on hand did great. If you were quick and has cash to pay, you could find a warehouse full of bikes somewhere, even if it wasn't Trek and Specialized, and get them onto your shelves. For smaller shops, ones without big credit lines, who were maybe already behind on paying distributors because of a long, cold winter, there was basically *no* inventory, complete bikes or repair parts, available to you until ~September. I personally know two shop owners who have closed their doors, and I know another who decided not to renew his lease as of December 31

Obviously, skateboarding is a completely different industry, but I expect that their experience is more or less analogous

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 06:26:25 PM »
Hey dudes, glad you're hyped on the article, or think it's just filler. Thanks for reading, either way.

-My overall impressions is that most shops did well last year. The demand for skateboards was unprecedented; before lockdown you had shows like Betty hyping up different demographics of skating and the Tony Hawk games getting people interested too.

Once lockdown hit, you had millions of people sitting on their couches who couldn't go to the gym, play team sports, go to the bars, or, you know, do most anything. Skating was one of the few activities that seemed safe. So a LOT of them bought completes. When you add that on top of every skater who used lockdown as an excuse to skate a ton, there was a huge surge in demand for hardgoods.

-Would have loved to talk to a few more brands here, but it's tough to get some people to talk. Some brands just don't want to air things out publicly, or even talk about where their factories are.

-I've heard some noise about bigger brands muscling their way to the front of the production line ahead of small brands, but I think that's a whole different article. It is crazy how there are a handful of factories that really keep most of the industry running.

Hi,

Definitely appreciate the added input and the initial article as well.  Given there are always time constraints with things and industry secrets, it is always pretty cool to hear what is going on.

Anyone ever recall how shops used to indent orders from team riders packages once upon a time, notably Rob Welsh on Santa Cruz.  That story was very interesting.

I remember seeing an AVE post with his new Spitfire wheels package a few months ago, which contained more wheels than most shops had in their whole drop (and maybe even still do here in Australia) so the shortage is still very real for a lot of places NOT in the USA.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 06:28:25 PM »

This is, in fact, the primary function of a capitalist economy

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 06:44:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

So what you're saying is that you back everything you said in your first post. Gotcha.
generally when someone listens to your perspective, admits they're wrong and walks back their comment, then you rub their face in it, it reflects badly on you, not them.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 10:47:21 AM »
I wish Ian would have had @loosetrucks read this in a YouTube video with pictures so I could be sitting on my couch eating breakfast and watching it on my tv

sketchysenpai

• Rep: 5
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hi,

Definitely appreciate the added input and the initial article as well.  Given there are always time constraints with things and industry secrets, it is always pretty cool to hear what is going on.

Anyone ever recall how shops used to indent orders from team riders packages once upon a time, notably Rob Welsh on Santa Cruz.  That story was very interesting.

I remember seeing an AVE post with his new Spitfire wheels package a few months ago, which contained more wheels than most shops had in their whole drop (and maybe even still do here in Australia) so the shortage is still very real for a lot of places NOT in the USA.
A good friend of mine runs a nice local shop here in the states and speaking from experience it’s still pretty real here. I’ve watched him with my own eyes place orders with NHS and by the time he clicks “confirm”, everything is sold out. According to him, some distributions are catching up pretty well but NHS is still hard to get trucks and decks from. And when he does get decks, they limit to one or two of each graphic. Take it for what you will, but at least I think the shortage is still hitting here pretty hard.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2021, 03:41:41 PM »

A good friend of mine runs a nice local shop here in the states and speaking from experience it’s still pretty real here. I’ve watched him with my own eyes place orders with NHS and by the time he clicks “confirm”, everything is sold out. According to him, some distributions are catching up pretty well but NHS is still hard to get trucks and decks from. And when he does get decks, they limit to one or two of each graphic. Take it for what you will, but at least I think the shortage is still hitting here pretty hard.

That is definitely an interesting thing to hear, as I think I have followed a hundred new accounts in the last few months, mainly all US shops who have been posting huge stock drops (and I am more into DLX than anything else), but it makes sense - there is still not enough to go round.

I heard some people were pissed that one major account here bought the entire stock drop of a certain product so they could have monopoly on that brand, but although it is just rumour, I could definitely see it happening.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 09:51:07 AM »
This article was worth it alone to hear about the owner of BBS contracting COVID and then offering all of their employees paid leave. Respect for that, I wish that more businesses operated that way.

Hell yeah dude I wish my boss would catch Covid too*

*parody: I do not actually wish bodily harm on my employer (I need to keep my job but couldn’t resist making this dumb joke)

blowjobtofakie

• Rep: 103
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought it was pretty insightful, as far as hearing from people within the industry goes. People from shops, woodshops and distributors all talking numbers and what they experienced throughout 2020. You gotta remember that not all skaters read Slap and might not hear some of the stuff we read here. On top of that, Slap is basically a rumour mill, so it's good to hear right from the horse's Mikey Taylor’s mouth.

TheFandangler

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 12:29:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
generally when someone listens to your perspective, admits they're wrong and walks back their comment, then you rub their face in it, it reflects badly on you, not them.

Fair enough, but your initial response to the article was rather vicious to then walk back on.