Author Topic: Pierre Andre/Crazy Etnies Ad  (Read 11357 times)

JimGeko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -38
Re: Pierre Andre/Crazy Etnies Ad
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 01:11:03 AM »
I hate this guy because he denied koston es ownership and Reynolds emerica ownership, can’t get behind anything he or his companies do. Then again koston in Nike is tight but I think Reynolds missed an Adidas contract by stating loyal to emerica.

Wait, you hate a guy because he didn’t give/sell his shoe company to that bellend Koston????
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 01:22:56 AM »
So you guys are mad because he didn’t give two of his companies away to riders and because he didn’t want to start a clothing company with one of them?
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 01:49:37 AM »
I hate this guy because he denied koston es ownership

Ask
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
how that worked out...

As for the photo, it's an ollie one-foot, with the back foot coming off. Pierre's signature trick.
You can see it in motion at 2:21:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RVsUd6DZ_0&t=2m21s

ilikebigbutts

• Rep: -42
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 02:30:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

I hate this guy because he denied koston es ownership and Reynolds emerica ownership, can’t get behind anything he or his companies do. Then again koston in Nike is tight but I think Reynolds missed an Adidas contract by stating loyal to emerica.
[close]

All true. And those are only the “high profile” stories that have leaked to the public. There are countless stories of shadiness and other riders getting absolutely fucked over. Koston also wanted to start an apparel brand(think 4 star) through sole way back and got denied. The amount they preach against “corporate” footwear brands then shit all over skateboarders is unfathomable. Been happening for decades. Their demise is well earned. And the point made about the Vision gear is also amazing. Bravo.

Also now that we’ve entered the new year and continued financial hardship, keep an eye on who disappears from the rosters and how “down for skateboarders” they are.

Creative retreat for emerica in 2021.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2021, 03:01:44 AM »
If that's his "special" during his youth, I am 100% sure he wears a cock ring now.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2021, 04:21:46 AM »
If that's his "special" during his youth, I am 100% sure he wears a cock ring now.

He's French, I can see it.

Just a ring on the cock, or the one that gets both your dick and nuts? I never understood what they are needed for...
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

chris

• Rep: 402
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 05:25:37 AM »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 07:41:01 AM »
Oh he does a Stylin' on u Ollie
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

michael scarn

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2021, 08:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

That's a shame if Reynolds missed out on that money, but I'll admit that seeing Reynolds with the 3 stripes would be weird. He looks dope in Vans.

Hombreezy

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2021, 09:54:00 AM »
Expand Quote
I hate this guy because he denied koston es ownership
[close]

Ask
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
how that worked out...

As for the photo, it's an ollie one-foot, with the back foot coming off. Pierre's signature trick.
You can see it in motion at 2:21:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RVsUd6DZ_0&t=2m21s
Ollie South

Glurmpz

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2021, 09:55:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

All true. And those are only the “high profile” stories that have leaked to the public. There are countless stories of shadiness and other riders getting absolutely fucked over. Koston also wanted to start an apparel brand(think 4 star) through sole way back and got denied. The amount they preach against “corporate” footwear brands then shit all over skateboarders is unfathomable. Been happening for decades. Their demise is well earned. And the point made about the Vision gear is also amazing. Bravo.

Also now that we’ve entered the new year and continued financial hardship, keep an eye on who disappears from the rosters and how “down for skateboarders” they are.

The level of naivete in both of these statements is staggeringly cute. Almost responded seriously before remembering half the posters on here are children who would put their trucks on backwards if the shop didn't put their board together for them. Imagine thinking that a company is somehow required to give away partial ownership to one of their employees... lol.

Thank god Koston is now part owner of Nike with a signature clothing brand and Reynolds owns part of Vans, huh?

Hombreezy

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2021, 10:01:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

[close]

The level of naivete in both of these statements is staggeringly cute. Almost responded seriously before remembering half the posters on here are children who would put their trucks on backwards if the shop didn't put their board together for them. Imagine thinking that a company is somehow required to give away partial ownership to one of their employees... lol.

Thank god Koston is now part owner of Nike with a signature clothing brand and Reynolds owns part of Vans, huh?
As steve Olson would say- “they owe”

Glurmpz

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2021, 03:41:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Naivete huh? Your logic is sophomoric. The difference being that Koston and Andrew were both decades-long riders who were part of brand evolution and made eS and Emerica/Altamont what they were. Making Sole and Pierre hundreds of millions of dollars. Offering them a small percentage of the brands as a token of appreciation and a means to keep them there, engaged and happy, along with the brands growing, instead of dying like they have ... would have been courteous, logical and very smart. Their presence also would have kept other key riders in place (go look who left eS right after Koston did and the Emerica exodus around the time of Supra and Krew forming) and helped them acquire better new up-and-coming riders as well. Not to mention, likely better shoe and apparel design. Everyone wins. But Pierre chose ego or greed or made the wrong decisions or whatever in this and many other instances and well, you've watched what's unfolded for the last 15 years.

Sorry man, your understanding of business is so misguided and you’re just regurgitating rumours. No point in explaining things to you.

Glurmpz

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2021, 03:58:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Naivete huh? Your logic is sophomoric. The difference being that Koston and Andrew were both decades-long riders who were part of brand evolution and made eS and Emerica/Altamont what they were. Making Sole and Pierre hundreds of millions of dollars. Offering them a small percentage of the brands as a token of appreciation and a means to keep them there, engaged and happy, along with the brands growing, instead of dying like they have ... would have been courteous, logical and very smart. Their presence also would have kept other key riders in place (go look who left eS right after Koston did and the Emerica exodus around the time of Supra and Krew forming) and helped them acquire better new up-and-coming riders as well. Not to mention, likely better shoe and apparel design. Everyone wins. But Pierre chose ego or greed or made the wrong decisions or whatever in this and many other instances and well, you've watched what's unfolded for the last 15 years.
[close]

Sorry man, your understanding of business is so misguided and you’re just regurgitating rumours. No point in explaining things to you.
[close]

The funny part is, I was there for 15 years. So why don’t you try “explaining” what I don’t know to me, business mogul. And while you’re at it tell me what “rumors” I am “regurgitating”.

Wait - you worked at Sole Tech for 15 years and somehow still feel this way?

The rumours I speak of is the claim that both people left due to being rejected on ownership requests. If you have proof, let’s see it. I’ll gladly accept I’m wrong if I’ve missed something.

But as for giving away partial ownership of your company to a temporary employee - can you not see how short sighted that would be, considering Koston switched shoe sponsors again after leaving Es and then Lakai? Now you have someone who’s not even part of the company owning a chunk. Awkward.

Also, how would either of those two skaters staying on the brands improve design?

Edit: looks like Koston was on just over a decade. Deleted the part of this post suggesting otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 06:56:09 PM by Glurmpz »

Glurmpz

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2021, 04:26:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The funny part is, I was there for 15 years. So why don’t you try “explaining” what I don’t know to me, business mogul. And while you’re at it tell me what “rumors” I am “regurgitating”.
[close]

Wait - you worked at Sole Tech for 15 years and somehow still feel this way? I guess if you worked there for 15 years you must know Koston was only on for less than 10 years, not “decades”. Would you give away partial ownership to an ageing pro who’s only been with your brand a handful of years? That’s some serious trust/generosity.

The rumours I speak of is the claim that both people left due to being rejected on ownership requests. If you have proof, let’s see it. I’ll gladly accept I’m wrong if I’ve missed something.
[close]

Feel what way? Just sharing because that’s what so many people so often claim they want here ... real info. Felt it might add to the discussion. But when it happens its just met with insults and attacks. I’ve seen it with industry dudes here for years. I was approximating their time on the brands because Eric was with etnies for many years as well. And again, the two most valuable riders in the history of the company were Eric and Andrew ...  Shecks too. Yes, offering them even a percent of their respective brands (which are all now dying) could have been a good move. Certainly couldn’t have made things worse considering the current state of affairs there. It’s working in many instances all ofer the industry, as is the example that if you don’t appreciate your riders they leave often and start their own thing.

Beginning to think that forum clout and the desire to argue and attack and seeming the most “skate knowledgeable” far supersedes the actual desire for truth here. You don’t have to believe it. But to immediately shoot it down as if you might know more than I and not even consider it, is funny. You believe plenty of other things without hard proof this has been industry knowledge for ages (so now we know you are less knowledgable than you make out to be). Sorry dude, I don’t have transcriptions of their meetings or copies of theor resignation letters, nor could they be posted here anyway. so tell us what happened then ... since you understand business so well and others here don’t.

Either way. Don’t believe it if you don’t want. Some people here might appreciate the insight. Shalom to them.

Lol on you not even knowing Koston’s timeline but then trying to harsh me for it. Guess we are seeing where you are at. At least you admitted it.

There’s other instances of riders being given partial ownership of a brand? Who?

Yup, got my Koston timeline wrong cause I thought the move to Lakai was earlier, accepted my mistake there and removed the previous comment. Like I said, I have no problem at all accepting I’m wrong about something.

If you worked there then yeah, I’d love to hear insight. But more so I’m curious of specific examples of other shoe brands offering riders partial ownership. Let’s hear those examples!

Glurmpz

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2021, 05:03:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Wait - you worked at Sole Tech for 15 years and somehow still feel this way? I guess if you worked there for 15 years you must know Koston was only on for less than 10 years, not “decades”. Would you give away partial ownership to an ageing pro who’s only been with your brand a handful of years? That’s some serious trust/generosity.

[close]

Feel what way? Just sharing because that’s what so many people so often claim they want here ... real info. Felt it might add to the discussion. But when it happens its just met with insults and attacks. I’ve seen it with industry dudes here for years. I was approximating their time on the brands because Eric was with etnies for many years as well. And again, the two most valuable riders in the history of the company were Eric and Andrew ...  Shecks too. Yes, offering them even a percent of their respective brands (which are all now dying) could have been a good move. Certainly couldn’t have made things worse considering the current state of affairs there. It’s working in many instances all ofer the industry, as is the example that if you don’t appreciate your riders they leave often and start their own thing.

Beginning to think that forum clout and the desire to argue and attack and seeming the most “skate knowledgeable” far supersedes the actual desire for truth here. You don’t have to believe it. But to immediately shoot it down as if you might know more than I and not even consider it, is funny. You believe plenty of other things without hard proof this has been industry knowledge for ages (so now we know you are less knowledgable than you make out to be). Sorry dude, I don’t have transcriptions of their meetings or copies of theor resignation letters, nor could they be posted here anyway. so tell us what happened then ... since you understand business so well and others here don’t.

Either way. Don’t believe it if you don’t want. Some people here might appreciate the insight. Shalom to them.

Lol on you not even knowing Koston’s timeline but then trying to harsh me for it. Guess we are seeing where you are at. At least you admitted it.
[close]

There’s other instances of riders being given partial ownership of a brand? Who?

Yup, got my Koston timeline wrong cause I thought the move to Lakai was earlier, accepted my mistake there and removed the previous comment. Like I said, I have no problem at all accepting I’m wrong about something.

If you worked there then yeah, I’d love to hear insight. But more so I’m curious of specific examples of other shoe brands offering riders partial ownership. Let’s hear those examples!
[close]

I didn’t say shoe brands. I said brands. There are plenty of brands that pros co-own or have co-owned with partners. If I have to give you a list then you have some homework to do.

Also just gave you plenty of insight and clearly you don’t love to hear it. Don’t need to sit here and prove anything to you. Just don’t understand the reaction here when someone tries to share what so many of you claim you want.

Ok. A skater partnering with someone to start a board brand and a team rider for a shoe brand being offered partial ownership are completely different things. Not even remotely the same. C’mon now. If you can point to an established rider being offered part ownership of a brand, then that’s a start. Multiple instances would establish more of a precedent.

Honestly thought you were a kid talking out of your ass cause there’s a lot of that on here. Sorry for the mischaracterization. We may disagree on the subject of giving away brand ownership, but I’m not trying to out knowledge you or anything.

Glurmpz

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2021, 05:33:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I didn’t say shoe brands. I said brands. There are plenty of brands that pros co-own or have co-owned with partners. If I have to give you a list then you have some homework to do.

Also just gave you plenty of insight and clearly you don’t love to hear it. Don’t need to sit here and prove anything to you. Just don’t understand the reaction here when someone tries to share what so many of you claim you want.
[close]

Ok. A skater partnering with someone to start a board brand and a team rider for a shoe brand being offered partial ownership are completely different things. Not even remotely the same. C’mon now. If you can point to an established rider being offered part ownership of a brand, then that’s a start. Multiple instances would establish more of a precedent.

Honestly thought you were a kid talking out of your ass cause there’s a lot of that on here. Sorry for the mischaracterization. We may disagree on the subject of giving away brand ownership, but I’m not trying to out knowledge you or anything.
[close]

There ya go. Way better than a knee-jerk verbal assault. Congrats. And the fact that more than one person is here saying the same thing might also be something to consider regarding these “rumors” .

You worked there - are the rumours true or not? They have only been rumours to my knowledge, I don’t recall ever seeing any sort of confirmation which is why I still refer to them as rumours. An employee confirming that both Eric and drew left due to being denied ownership would put an end to that debate. My point was more about that sort of offer being out of the ordinary and short sighted, though I understand the thinking behind it. I guess I just don’t agree it’s a good idea because it doesn’t guarantee anyone will stick around, and creates a huge headache if they do leave. Imagine trying to figure out how to get that partial ownership back that you gave away for free?

Glurmpz

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 06:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

There ya go. Way better than a knee-jerk verbal assault. Congrats. And the fact that more than one person is here saying the same thing might also be something to consider regarding these “rumors” .
[close]

You worked there - are the rumours true or not? They have only been rumours to my knowledge, I don’t recall ever seeing any sort of confirmation which is why I still refer to them as rumours. An employee confirming that both Eric and drew left due to being denied ownership would put an end to that debate. My point was more about that sort of offer being out of the ordinary and short sighted, though I understand the thinking behind it. I guess I just don’t agree it’s a good idea because it doesn’t guarantee anyone will stick around, and creates a huge headache if they do leave. Imagine trying to figure out how to get that partial ownership back that you gave away for free?
[close]

You don’t understand why ownership / equity would keep someone around? More than just a contract and a salary? Which, by the way, is allegedly what was enforced to keep Andrew from dipping to adidas during Away Days launch time, the same time mind you, thay they began hooking up his daughter. How can you say that then be attacking others on their knowledge of business. Speaking of business, have yo uever considered that actual proof might be protected under NDAs and not speakable? Not only for riders but staff, ex staff and so on?

What’s this business knowledge and experience you have again?

I said I can understand the thinking behind it, and I agree it would help keep someone around longer - what I said is it does not guarantee that they will stick around, and presents a much bigger issue than simply giving someone a raise or a bonus if the decide to leave the brand.

I have worked in the skate industry on and off for over 25 years, from literally pressing decks all the way to retail sales and everything in between. I've managed warehouses, brands, teams, done graphic/product design, made videos, wrote for magazines, screen printed boards/clothing/stickers, done wholesale sales, organized and taught skate camps and lessons... the list goes on. I was even on Sole Tech flow in Canada for almost a decade (which is why I often speak in defense of ST on here). But honestly, none of that is why I'm questioning the idea of offering part ownership of a company to a team rider - that whole idea just seems short sighted to me, that's all. If it was common practice and proved to be a boost for brands who did it, I wouldn't be doubting it.

I also want to point out that saying something is a rumor does not mean it isn't true - it just means it's not confirmed officially. I think you're taking that assertion too negatively. All I'm saying is we don't have proof that was the case in either situation, only hearsay. People on here still believe Nike bought Janoski's name so they don't have to keep paying him royalties, even though he has personally refuted that. Multiple people believing something they heard through the rumor mill does not make anything more or less true.

I've already apologized for insinuating you were just some random kid with no knowledge of the subject. You're an anonymous poster on a message board - for all I know you never even worked there. But I choose to believe you. Not sure what else you want from me. I also didn't claim to have any knowledge of the reasons either skater left Sole Tech, I just had my doubts about the ownership deal claims, and even then I was more focussed on if that would have been a reasonable request more than if it actually happened or not.

Edit: but also - this is SLAP. This place is salty as fuck and it rubs off on everyone in their posts. I'm much more of a salty old dog on here because other posters have made me that way. You can only take so many random posters being disrespectful before you let the politeness start to slide yourself.

Double edit: the whole reason I responded to you and the other poster in the first place was because you claimed Sole Tech preaches against corporations and the whole tone of your post being very negative, hoping for the demise of the company. Now that you've said you worked there for 15 years, that makes more sense because I assume you did not leave a happy camper? Maybe that anti-corpo talk only happened behind close doors where you would hear it, as an employee? Did Sole Tech brands do anti Nike ads or something that I'm not remembering?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:09:13 PM by Glurmpz »

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2021, 07:48:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's French, I can see it.

Just a ring on the cock, or the one that gets both your dick and nuts? I never understood what they are needed for...

To be honest, I don't know what he would prefer.  I like both dick and nuts.  Just nuts is really nice as well.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Glurmpz

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 07:54:02 PM »
Honestly, pizzaandfries, if you had prefaced your original comment with "I worked there for 15 years...", this all would have gone completely different.  ;)

Glurmpz

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2021, 08:39:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Honestly, pizzaandfries, if you had prefaced your original comment with "I worked there for 15 years...", this all would have gone completely different.  ;)
[close]

Shouldn’t need to in order for you to not come in all hot on attack mode ... hahah

It makes a huge difference in a place like this where the anonymity makes it hard to discern shitposting trolls from people with experience to back up their opinions/posts. I did come in like a sarcastic bitch though - I've been worn down by Slap, haha.

Have to agree having the shot of Pierre in Vision Street Wear shoes as the main image in that timeline is a huge bunt. Why on earth would they do that?!

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2021, 09:57:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Shouldn’t need to in order for you to not come in all hot on attack mode ... hahah
[close]

It makes a huge difference in a place like this where the anonymity makes it hard to discern shitposting trolls from people with experience to back up their opinions/posts. I did come in like a sarcastic bitch though - I've been worn down by Slap, haha.

Have to agree having the shot of Pierre in Vision Street Wear shoes as the main image in that timeline is a huge bunt. Why on earth would they do that?!

oh you guys...

that was a sweet little back and forth.

just chucking in some thoughts - not agreeing or disagreeing anywhere in particular though - the only person i'm aware of {not saying there aren't others, just the only one i'm aware of} getting ownership stakes in a company they'd been associated with is Kelly Slater after he won his tenth world title. He was offered a bonus or a 3 percent stake in the company, he took the stake. He surfed for them for over 20 years as their biggest dude and left them in 2014. I don't know how much he left them though because I'm pretty sure his new brand {at that time} VSTR was still kind of owned by Quiksilver and I'm pretty sure it folded. I don't know, I don't surf - a lot of my relatives do though.

it does seem like a seldom done thing and even though i could care less about kelly slater, i think the only skater that is even a bit comparable to his stature is tony hawk - so i'm not sure reynolds or koston {whilst bigger deals to me/most skaters than tony hawk is} are big enough deals for any company to give themselves away.

i'm not going to really go back and forth with anyone too much about this. just chucking it out there. love you all, thanks for entertaining me.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2021, 11:09:26 PM »
Back to the trick....Pierre Andre was known for grabbing his back foot like an in liner.....

He'd do pogos like this and when he was trying to transfer his skills to the street he did an Ollie back foot grab......

ilikebigbutts

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2021, 11:41:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Koston has said in multiple interviews he left because they wouldn't give him ownership. Look it up. No info on drew yet but just think about it. 15 years after Baker 3, Baker 4 releases and drew has only 5 tricks with only Vans shoes. Either Emerica kept the footage with emericas or drew was mad at them or trying to appeal to Vans so he used only footage in vans. Should Sole Tech give him ownership or at least assurance he had a safe future with them, he could of focused on producing a great long Baker 4 part instead of switching shoe sponsors in the midst of it. This part would of generated tons of emerica shoes sells therefore making more money for pierre. The greed of sole tech owners translated in we skaters losing the chance of enjoying a great drew part, possible the last he could produce considering his age.

Also nobody expects to get ownership from Adidas or Nike lol these companies are too big for that. But they offer the best salary and continuity.

Koston quickly leaving lakai is irrelevant to this dicussion. Also skaters leaving after owning stock is common. Every pro in Plan B owns stock which they return after they quit, Gallant said. Same with Shane when he left Primitive. Let's assume eS gave Koston ownership and he left for Nike anyway after some years, nobody would hold grudge against Sole Tech.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2021, 11:51:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front foot impossible?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

DM each other like men next time
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2021, 11:52:44 PM »
My only two thoughts on this back and forth are this idea around what are 'good decisions'.

- didn't Lakai give Koston part ownership post éS? As has been pointed out in this thread already; giving away part ownership to a huge name and success are not mutually exclusive. So I am not sure this was particularly a bad decision.

- the mention of the exodus from Emerica around the time of Krew/Supra forming is kind of dodgy ground. Supra and Krew were always terrible. Only a couple of dudes left for that program and it seemed to be more based around Muska over any Emerica guys...And those brands barely lasted a decade of being "bad but acceptable" before turning into nothing.

No insider knowledge on this. Just going by info above.

ilikebigbutts

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2021, 02:16:10 AM »
My only two thoughts on this back and forth are this idea around what are 'good decisions'.

- didn't Lakai give Koston part ownership post éS? As has been pointed out in this thread already; giving away part ownership to a huge name and success are not mutually exclusive. So I am not sure this was particularly a bad decision.

- the mention of the exodus from Emerica around the time of Krew/Supra forming is kind of dodgy ground. Supra and Krew were always terrible. Only a couple of dudes left for that program and it seemed to be more based around Muska over any Emerica guys...And those brands barely lasted a decade of being "bad but acceptable" before turning into nothing.

No insider knowledge on this. Just going by info above.

Depends on the situation and timing, I feel giving Koston ownership could have potentially given eS many more successful years. I'd say they'd still be relatively big in 2021. The Koston eS combination was just too perfect. All his shoes, the game of skate, his friendship with McCrank, he was motivated to keep growing with the company, but for them he was just a temporal employee who they thought could just replace with Danny Garcia the second he quit, another great skater who was probably also partially fucked up by this move (this is just speculation). As for Lakai, I can't speak much about it, never interested me much as a brand, I feel Koston didn't fit there anyway. I believe he said they had many money issues already by the time he got on. Who cares, apples and oranges.

With emerica is different, I think even giving drew ownership couldn't have saved them, perhaps by keeping Hsu and Herman but that's off topic, but still it'd have been nice to see them go down with reynolds still in the roster. I think he deserved it. He contributed far more than anybody else for any other company ever, I mean he ended two of their videos with legendary parts, and had a part for another, who else has done that for a company they don't even own? You can tell drew doesn't even care much about money, so what would make him quit emerica after a decade and not use a single clip with their shoes in his potentially last part of his career.

backagain420

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2021, 02:42:48 AM »
You do not know the relationship between Pierre and Koston. I'm sure it was good since he rode for eS 10 years. But the truth is they probably weren't really close. And if they were not really good friends why would he want to give a part of his company to him? Pierre had every right to not give Koston ownership in his company. Now you may ask what being friends has to do with business, Well... The reason is because soletech is not a huge company they make a lot of money but they also have tight margins because of how small they are. So why would you give a piece of a small company to someone when you are operating on slim margins. You don't because less money for you. Pierre I am sure makes good money but hes not making millions every year in net profit. Hes paying a lot in salaries, product, riders, distribution and he his company operates in in California which has a nice tax percentage. So I see it from a business prescriptive.

backagain420

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2021, 02:54:54 AM »
The reason why Koston joined Lakai was because they offered him ownership in either Lakai or podium distribution, But as you know they were not operating financially stable. So contracts got backed up and it ended up with his departure. I think it was a case of over promise under deliver in Podiums case. Which brings us to another topic Koston of Girl. It is no secret for years that Koston was trying to get ownership in the companies he helped build. Girl made a deal with a investment firm called altamont capital to inject money into Girls budget. The deal ended up with Girl giving them a percentage of their company to them. That drove Koston crazy because one of the companies he co-founded Fourstar was under that umbrella so he was not happy and he had no say because he was not an owner in Girl. Nobody really talks about that but I have done enough research and seen read interviews and articles that describe all this. Nike is publicly traded company and they gave Koston so many shares that he is set for life.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2021, 03:02:25 AM »
I like how the top of his foot is on the board in the photo, although video of the trick is pretty underwhelming

Possible trick names:
Rocket south
Ollie south of heaven

Unexplored territory:
Rocket north
Nollie north of heaven