Author Topic: Pierre Andre/Crazy Etnies Ad  (Read 11360 times)

backagain420

Re: Pierre Andre/Crazy Etnies Ad
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2021, 03:07:00 AM »
Reynolds left emerica because emerica did not want to renew his contract. They wanted to restructure and in doing so they had to subvert their income back into the their company. By not renewing his contract that gave them alot of room to put back into their budget. Also one thing that alot of these brands like Lakai, eS, Emerica is that there success has always bein measured by the success of their riders. Which is not good because it then makes it about what the riders do and not the company. Good example is how SLAP just thinks Emerica is failing because Reynolds left Emerica when in reality it was one of the better things to happen for them. Now I and alot of other people look at Emerica for Emerica and not see Reynold's. I can not even tell you how many times people say "Didn't Reynolds own Emerica". They Don't even know what Soletech is. So no Pierre and Don Brown are doing just fine and I am happy to see how they transform the brands over the next few years.

Giza Butler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2021, 04:18:01 AM »
I see ownership in a way like Spanky is doing Baker graphics, or other older pros are now doing back-end stuff for brands.

Having Reynolds and Koston as part owners of both 'es and Emerica whould have rejuvinated the company, and probably kept a tighter team without having so many people leaving and creating a sort of identity hole.

In the end Nike or Vans or any other bigger shoes brand doesn't offer this but pays well and it's a great way for an aging professional to fade out.

Now basically all SoleTech brands have lost a lot of history and a lot of branding that even Koston or Reynolds brought to the table.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2021, 04:30:55 AM »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:43:37 AM by TracersOnlyfans »

ilikebigbutts

• Rep: -42
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »
I see ownership in a way like Spanky is doing Baker graphics, or other older pros are now doing back-end stuff for brands.

Having Reynolds and Koston as part owners of both 'es and Emerica whould have rejuvinated the company, and probably kept a tighter team without having so many people leaving and creating a sort of identity hole.

In the end Nike or Vans or any other bigger shoes brand doesn't offer this but pays well and it's a great way for an aging professional to fade out.

Now basically all SoleTech brands have lost a lot of history and a lot of branding that even Koston or Reynolds brought to the table.

This literally.

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This literally.
idk man. This board is filled with older heads saying 40+ year old skateboarders would have rejuvenated a dying small footwear company. do younger kids really care much about either Koston or Reynolds? No doubt they are legends but obviously having Reynolds on wasn't cutting it for Emerica towards the end. would I have loved to see both have ownership? Yes, but I don't think it would save either brand (Reynolds owned Altamont and that shit still went under). the big companies offer the best contracts and can afford the most advertising and that's that. This board just circle jerks around everything these brands have messed up over the years but in reality, the second the big names came in with good money it was done no matter what, it just does not make sense to turn that down.

Lets be real, you and everyone you know has been skating nike and vans for the past decade and that is not gonna change anytime soon. I think we can stop talking about this on every soletech/lakai thread.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2021, 10:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This literally.
[close]
idk man. This board is filled with older heads saying 40+ year old skateboarders would have rejuvenated a dying small footwear company. do younger kids really care much about either Koston or Reynolds? No doubt they are legends but obviously having Reynolds on wasn't cutting it for Emerica towards the end. would I have loved to see both have ownership? Yes, but I don't think it would save either brand (Reynolds owned Altamont and that shit still went under). the big companies offer the best contracts and can afford the most advertising and that's that. This board just circle jerks around everything these brands have messed up over the years but in reality, the second the big names came in with good money it was done no matter what, it just does not make sense to turn that down.

Lets be real, you and everyone you know has been skating nike and vans for the past decade and that is not gonna change anytime soon. I think we can stop talking about this on every soletech/lakai thread.
idk about Koston, but Reynolds is still widely loved and appreciated by the kids

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2021, 11:13:39 AM »

Not sure many people will get the moving shadow reference. Unless they were in to D&B in the UK in early/mid 90’s. Lol.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2021, 11:22:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not sure many people will get the moving shadow reference. Unless they were in to D&B in the UK in early/mid 90’s. Lol.
there's a bunch of pals here in that age group, and I've seen threads go down rabbit holes about obscure metal, thought I'd test the water. Also the current wave of jungle / breakbeat techno and rave inspired stuff has a lot of younger folks looking backwards.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Beat me to it.

You guys gotta be English ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2021, 12:15:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Beat me to it.

You guys gotta be English ?
New Zealand

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2021, 12:59:52 PM »
Greek dude here and Omni Trio were the shit in 1995.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2021, 02:55:59 PM »
Ownership.....meanwhile PA sells an apartment building to keep this ship afloat.....

I'm sure Rick and Mike made off like bandits on Lakai....

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »
It should be noted that at one point Heath was TM at Emerica, and I can't imagine him working for a bunch of cooks. (Even though he quit later)

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2021, 03:40:45 PM »
It should be noted that at one point Heath was TM at Emerica, and I can't imagine him working for a bunch of cooks. (Even though he quit later)

Not quite the same, but he was also on the same team as Borra and horsey taylor

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2021, 03:49:01 PM »

It's owned by Pierre Andre....not chef Pierre....

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2021, 04:51:16 PM »

put him in the pit. i don't want that thing to die.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2021, 05:14:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This literally.
[close]

Fuck knows, but what's for sure is kids couldn't a spec of a damn about fuckin' Soletech. And I'm pretty sure that if younger skaters were privy to the fact Emerica or eS is owned by it they'd be pretty bummed also. I know my couple of emerica fan mates were when they realised it's affiliation with etnies.. In the Uk etnies is kinda some wasteman shopping centre brand shit.

It's sometimes weird coming on here, I forget how in real life a lot of people who skate don't actually delve into the background of things too deep, kinda wish I was naive to some of this bullshit too...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2021, 05:24:51 PM »
It seems like everything Koston is touching in the last five years is turning to gold.....

nah-nah-nah

• Rep: -1
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2021, 10:45:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This literally.
[close]

[close]

Fuck knows, but what's for sure is kids couldn't a spec of a damn about fuckin' Soletech. And I'm pretty sure that if younger skaters were privy to the fact Emerica or eS is owned by it they'd be pretty bummed also. I know my couple of emerica fan mates were when they realised it's affiliation with etnies.. In the Uk etnies is kinda some wasteman shopping centre brand shit.

It's sometimes weird coming on here, I forget how in real life a lot of people who skate don't actually delve into the background of things too deep, kinda wish I was naive to some of this bullshit too...

Did the same kids just realize Nike SB is actually affiliated with Nike? Not cool Nike, the Nike your mom bought you from mega-chain-x as a kid. That weird Nike old people wear and so on.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2021, 12:37:31 AM »
I honestly hoped this thread would have unraveled into a Chef Pierre appreciation thread by now.

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2021, 12:43:35 AM »
Reynolds left emerica because emerica did not want to renew his contract.

Your comments in this thread have been fairly agreeable.

I do disagree that Reynolds doesn't care about money. I worked for a clothing brand he was trying to get onto and the conversation was all about money - which is why he ended up at RVCA as they put the biggest salary on the table. That was what he was after. The fact that a brand would do fuck all to market him didn't matter. It was money and nothing more.

However, this bit I've quoted above is totally untrue.

Weededed

• Rep: 198
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2021, 01:35:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I honestly hoped this thread would have unraveled into a Chef Pierre appreciation thread by now.

https://youtu.be/xS7DY32E6es

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2021, 02:40:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do disagree that Reynolds doesn't care about money. I worked for a clothing brand he was trying to get onto and the conversation was all about money - which is why he ended up at RVCA as they put the biggest salary on the table. That was what he was after. The fact that a brand would do fuck all to market him didn't matter. It was money and nothing more.

Not surprised as he probably has to rely mainly on shoes/clothing sponsor to bring food to his table.

The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2021, 03:21:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not surprised as he probably has to rely mainly on shoes/clothing sponsor to bring food to his table.

Yeah.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2021, 04:08:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i mean who even wears their clothing sponsors stuff? there's like 5 brands whose riders actually wear their stuff. supreme, huf, levis skateboarding, carhartt, dickies, and as a 6th honorable mention probably volcom, even though you don't see people rocking that stone logo anymore. but i would skate their pants if they'd sponsor me.

everyone else just wears that stuff, too, without being on the team. so i guess for most people it's just about a paycheck. some defunct brands felt somewhat genuine at the time, like altamont and analog. probably haven't seen a skater wear a rvca logo in years. you'd have more luck watching mma and stuff.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2021, 05:44:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This literally.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Did the same kids just realize Nike SB is actually affiliated with Nike? Not cool Nike, the Nike your mom bought you from mega-chain-x as a kid. That weird Nike old people wear and so on.

If you spoke to a young person on which was cool, nike or etnies? I think you'd be sadly surprised man.

I just don't think 'skater owned' companies workout for new generations when said skater becomes totally irrelevant, there's no face, it's just another company, especially when you realise that an even bigger company owns all 3. Hence why people are saying if Koston or Reynolds had ownership over the 2 other brands it probably would have helped over the last decade... maybe? When the company seems like 'just another company' it's all down to marketing and guess who trumps that?

I think the world's moved on too much in the last decade for these boarderline-skaterowned/corpo cyborgs companies i.e soletech and lakai, there's a dwindling market for it now. No one gives a shit anymore unless you have the small business 'mindfulness' direction of better product, more ethically produced/sourced and backed by likeminded skaters, ie Last Resort, although some of those points are contested, it's still an attempt that people can get behind. The other 4 companies are offering nothing different to nike other than nostalgia and the fake 'bbUt wER'rE sKatEr OwNed' puppy eyes of guilt effect on all the older heads lol.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:53:21 AM by GuessAgain? »

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2021, 06:08:58 AM »
I wore Vans Pro Classics for the past 6-7 years, and recently got the new Emerica Dicksons to try and support my local shop (and Jon Dickson) more. The shoes are great, I recently bought a second pair.

Kinda tangential, but in my opinion Emerica still has a great product and are easily worth supporting. They clearly focus heavily on actual skateboarding.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2021, 07:20:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dying over here
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2021, 07:44:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean, why not? Clothing companies historically contribute fuck all to how a pro is perceived / their legacy. They also don't really ask much of their riders. If it doesn't really make a difference which company you're on then why not go for the highest bidder

Expand Quote
[close]

I'm pretty sure it is true, or at least is was a mutual agreement. At some point a relationship like that becomes unsustainable. The employer wants continually increasing compensation (rightfully so) but after so long has hit a ceiling to where their value to the company isn't increasing in line with their compensation any more. At that point it makes sense for both parties to part way.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2021, 09:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This literally.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you spoke to a young person on which was cool, nike or etnies? I think you'd be sadly surprised man.

I just don't think 'skater owned' companies workout for new generations when said skater becomes totally irrelevant, there's no face, it's just another company, especially when you realise that an even bigger company owns all 3. Hence why people are saying if Koston or Reynolds had ownership over the 2 other brands it probably would have helped over the last decade... maybe? When the company seems like 'just another company' it's all down to marketing and guess who trumps that?

I think the world's moved on too much in the last decade for these boarderline-skaterowned/corpo cyborgs companies i.e soletech and lakai, there's a dwindling market for it now. No one gives a shit anymore unless you have the small business 'mindfulness' direction of better product, more ethically produced/sourced and backed by likeminded skaters, ie Last Resort, although some of those points are contested, it's still an attempt that people can get behind. The other 4 companies are offering nothing different to nike other than nostalgia and the fake 'bbUt wER'rE sKatEr OwNed' puppy eyes of guilt effect on all the older heads lol.

You're probably right, and I agree with everything you said.

I feel that there has been a huge gap little over 10 years ago where "skater owned" footwear brands didn't fought back the big Corpo brands or maybe they have underestimated them. During this time, those ownership deals could have "maybe" saved the face of Soletech/Lakai/DVS ?  Too late now.