Author Topic: Pierre Andre/Crazy Etnies Ad  (Read 11377 times)

ilikebigbutts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -42
Re: Pierre Andre/Crazy Etnies Ad
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2021, 03:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Etnies is the best of the three brands and has been the  most consistent of the three, in my opinion. Emerica, a close second. Es was supreme until 2006 and then they drifted away from relevance gradually. I blame it on the vulc shoe trend at that time. Really didn't do much for them aside from the Square One.

The whole Es goin under in 2012 just sounds unfortunate and not malicious from what I've seen/heard. Especially if it has something to do with banks/finances being cut/affected so abruptly. It's hard to give people enough notice when you didn't even get notice that everything was being dropped, and you have to tell your riders right after...
However, if I don't know something or am missing info about, I'm happy to be corrected.

I'll gladly still buy etnies. I think they make the best quality shoes right now: those Michelin cupsoles are incredible shoes!
[close]

And now you see the full circle journey and the beginning of the end, stemming from shitty decisions that lead to things like losing Koston, Paul, PJ, Antwuan, Penny, Mikey Taylor  (all heavies at the time) and others which causes the aforementioned chain reaction I mentioned earlier in this thread. Malicious? No. Dumb and digging their own grave? Yes. Imagine losing your brand (and hundreds of millions over the course of a decade) because you don’t want to properly compensate key riders and employees with a tiny fraction of your revenue then blaming other brands and everyone but yourself for your downfall? Lol.

Edit: keep in mind around the same time Emerica lost Ellington and a few others, etnies lost Janoski. Company-wide exodus. Do you really think that’s all just a coincidence?

This, except mike Taylor, he wasn’t at the same level of the rest of the team.
Their shoes were great but it was with the combination of their team that made the company also great; the greedy owners thought they could just keep replacing the skaters every few years. Happened with Creager too. Say somebody like Gino that doesn’t produce anything for years, I understand him getting the boot, but koston creager and drew were very motivated in continuously contributing to the brands in exchange of some ownership and were rejected.

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2021, 03:27:23 AM »
There is a lot of opinion in the last couple of pages being touted as fact.

It's definitely getting hard to separate the two. The worry being that some of the ideas will then become fact just because a couple of the posters here repeat it enough...

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2021, 05:04:38 AM »

It's definitely getting hard to separate the two. The worry being that some of the ideas will then become fact just because a couple of the posters here repeat it enough...

That's the way of the world my man..

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2021, 05:54:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's the way of the world my man..
This IS the Way.

**Also, did I miss the Pierre Andre Fandangler photoshop?  Its gotta be there right?   

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2021, 06:59:20 AM »
God ya'll are dumb as fuck we've been having this conversation since Dunks became a thing. You can talk about how they should have kept x rider but really how would they afford that shit compared to Nike money? Even if they paid one of these dudes to stay I'm sure some other guys would be getting the chop to compensate. I'm not saying they didn't fuck up but at the end of the day, they stood no chance to the budget of a company like Nike anyway.

Nike paid riders well, we saw riders wear the shoes in the ads and videos, and we bought them. That is that. No behind the scenes shade was going to prevent that from happening if better money is on the table and you have the short career expectancy of a pro skater. Even if they kept a few guys it would just be delaying the inevitable. I don't think either brand is evil but complaining that a smaller brand didn't do enough to compete against one of the biggest companies in the world is just a dumb ass thing to do. Just let it go.

Also, it was no shock when eS went under. If you were skating at the time you know their whole identity was not in style at all. Everyone was wearing vulcs and eS was known for more tech cupsoles. In a different world they would probably be popular today with that resurgence but not with Kelly Hart as the face of the company.

tiltmode43

• Rep: 1
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2021, 08:32:25 AM »
Interesting thread with a lot of opinions.

Before the end of 2020 I hadn't purchased a pair of Etnies since maybe 2006, probably from their outlet store. I came across their Vegan collection when doing holiday shopping and ended up ordering 4 pairs on sale. Looks like they've been taking part in the buy a shoe, plant a tree program for a while too, kinda neat. https://www.etnies.com/us/collections/vegan/

Who knows if their eco/ethical approach is just a marketing exercise to appeal to another niche, but I can get behind it either way.
Quote from: Frank
busenitz skating so fast as if he was on the autobahn

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2021, 08:44:03 AM »
i thought emerica was really sick when i was like 6

idk thats all i have to contribute to this thread

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2021, 08:53:39 AM »
The only Etnies I ever bought and would buy again is the original Sal Barbier 23. I had it in baby blue back in the day, stuffed a few extra pairs of socks to make them even puffier.  8)

That was one of my top 3 skateshoes ever, along with the first Airwalk NTS (black) and the Duffs KCK‘s (white).
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ilikebigbutts

• Rep: -42
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »
The only etnies I ever bought were the artos back in like 2006 or something. After made 2 I bought some hsus until he left then I swore I’d never buy more shoes from them but actually I bought a pair or desarmos like two years ago. The guy is too good not too support him. I hope he gets a better shoe sponsor. he deserves better. How do the freestylers always manage to get the best dudes somehow? I’d admit to a degree of scouting skills right there. they even had Diego Nájera recently. Good thing he got quickly in adidas. I hope paul gets wade on Nike.