Author Topic: Different shaped boards: love um leave um list um  (Read 5829 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
Re: Different shaped boards: love um leave um list um
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2022, 07:31:01 PM »
Been running the Heroin eyeballs 10” and then set this one up. Kinda digging these kinds of shapes.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2022, 07:41:18 PM »
Been running the Heroin eyeballs 10” and then set this one up. Kinda digging these kinds of shapes.

Saw this in a different thread earlier, very sick set up.

GT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2022, 10:12:55 PM »
Crail big boy Jr 8.75

WorkinHardHardware

• Rep: 12
    • Workin' Hard Hardware Etsy Shop avatar image
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2022, 05:06:16 AM »
Got some 80s inspired shaped boards up on sale on my shop right now, peep https://www.etsy.com/shop/workinhardhardware or my insta @workinhardhardware, hand glued and pressed in Tempe, AZ  8)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2022, 08:05:57 AM »
I grew up skating boards that had shapes, so there is always some nostalgia/pull towards a board that looks unique. That being said, most shaped boards I’ve tried in the last 10 ish years haven’t been all that helpful, and i already struggle with skating.

Liked:

Cardiel huffer. Had 2. None of the dimensions add up to something I’d like, but that board is so good. Tried it on 169s/159s/151s. Liked em all. Maybe enjoyed the feel of 151s the most, maybe skated best on the 159s. Been too long to remember. Felt like the olden days were I could have ridden that board for 6+ months.

Lib tech Sky asymmetrical shape. This board is super good. 169/159s. Because of the construction it’s relatively light and I could still treflip. So solid for hills.

Quasi football. Real good. PS wood, on a bigger shaped board, felt excellent. Really liked the dimensions. Flipped awesome. 

New Deal Siamese (I think). Had 151s. Was skating and sucking. Tried someone else’s board and everything seemed way too easy. It was bizarre. I had to really not rush out to buy the same setup. If I had it I’d hate it…probably.
Did not like:

Welcome sylph stick. Shape felt…wrong. I skate best on 7.75 boards, wanted a shaped board that had some small board dimensions. Ollies felt not impossible, but very off.

Polar 1992. Love love love the look. Couldn’t skate it. But looking down it was awesome. 

Scram x assault Nolan board. Couldn’t skate it. Wish I hadn’t given it away. Stoked to have bought it. Came with extra art and was just a really dope package. So hyped on that company. Still. Don’t really skate what they skate, so don’t buy their stuff. Could not ollie this fucker. Board was from Watson and mega stiff.

Anti hero black widow. Just couldn’t skate it. Looked sick, numbers seemed right. Wasnt terrible, but wasn’t a go.

Zip zinger. Was excited. A recurring theme for me is that I want something different to look at, but am basically going to attempt my own terrible version of ‘pulling a Chico’: setting up different stuff to try the same 10 ish flatground maneuvers. If an ollie or nollie isn’t fun, I’m out. I don’t need to flip it, but I have to be able to pop.

Polar shape?. Can’t remember the number really wide nose, tapered at least 1/2” towards the back. I’ve tried to stay with current times with gear, but I have a terrible time trying to skate almost all boards that need trucks wider than 8”. This board seemed like it would be a gateway. It wasn’t.

There has to be more. I’ve definitely tried shapes. Shapes have that grass is greener vibe, could be funner, why not try it.

Back when Welcome was actually cool, I remember them making a 7.5ish punk point in pink. I’d love something like that now. Interesting shapes for 8” ish (or less 😈) boards would be a go. For probably only me. I have enjoyed skating some setups with wide trucks, but in general I haven’t noticed an advantage, other than it can feel, and certainly look, cool.
Anyways, if anyone knows of smaller shapes worth trying lemme know. Thanks and please.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2022, 01:24:00 PM »
Re: shaped boards…

The less I skate, the longer my breaks in between being active on board, the more I want some wild shaped shit. The setups schemes just seem so much better than they’ve turned out for me.
So far.

animalflesh

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2022, 01:35:20 PM »
Maybe start off with a modern functional shape from polar/ krooked/ heroin etc

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2022, 02:19:59 PM »
Maybe start off with a modern functional shape from polar/ krooked/ heroin etc

Thanks for the thought.
Most shapes are large, I prefer 8” trucks, max.
Soon I’ll need to reconsider what I think of as skateboarding, and shaped boards might be more in play at that point.
Being older/and more frail/weak, whilst still trying to flip stuff around…shapes haven’t helped with that.
I look at say…scram boards. They look amazing. I get one set it all up. Drag it down to the local shitty parking lot…and then it’s kind of like when you got the G.I. joes or transformers or whatever and instead of having them in some jungle looking play area you are in the middle of your g’ma’s couch and it looks all…not cool. I’m out there crop dusting rocket flips to dbl hot pocket and/or double primo and cursing

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2022, 05:28:59 PM »

As I got older, I found it more just fun to have a few big shaped boards to cruise around on and use on pump tracks, more than trying to skate them as my usual board.

Normal popsicles for me are around the 8.38 to 8.5 which is perfect now, even though it used to be 8 and 8.12 for a long time.

Shaped boards I have set up are mostly in the 8.75 up to 9.5 sizes, with wider, looser trucks, big soft wheels and often DIY wheelwells or other adjustments, but I don't really ever try to skate them in the same way I skate my usual popsicles.

The effort to flip a big board is a little more, but not too much once you are used to it, but my legs are getting weaker too, so the interest in even getting some of these boards off the ground is minimal, compared to just rolling around and enjoying still being able to do that.

Having a similar concave in the cruiser boards to my normal boards definitely helps though, so the bigger boards are just an extension on my normal setups in that way, not some completely different thing that I have to skate a completely different way.

I think that has a lot to do with them being more comfortable overall too.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2022, 05:41:28 PM »

As I got older, I found it more just fun to have a few big shaped boards to cruise around on and use on pump tracks, more than trying to skate them as my usual board.

Normal popsicles for me are around the 8.38 to 8.5 which is perfect now, even though it used to be 8 and 8.12 for a long time.

Shaped boards I have set up are mostly in the 8.75 up to 9.5 sizes, with wider, looser trucks, big soft wheels and often DIY wheelwells or other adjustments, but I don't really ever try to skate them in the same way I skate my usual popsicles.

The effort to flip a big board is a little more, but not too much once you are used to it, but my legs are getting weaker too, so the interest in even getting some of these boards off the ground is minimal, compared to just rolling around and enjoying still being able to do that.

Having a similar concave in the cruiser boards to my normal boards definitely helps though, so the bigger boards are just an extension on my normal setups in that way, not some completely different thing that I have to skate a completely different way.

I think that has a lot to do with them being more comfortable overall too.

I start out with the best intentions. Pretty soon I’m choking back tears, and rapidly firing off nollie flip attempts, of lesser and lesser quality.

I am the problem.

Next shaped setup will probably be a zig zagger, or whatever other shaped board I think that would go ok on 8” trucks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2022, 05:56:56 PM »

I start out with the best intentions. Pretty soon I’m choking back tears, and rapidly firing off nollie flip attempts, of lesser and lesser quality.

I am the problem.

Next shaped setup will probably be a zig zagger, or whatever other shaped board I think that would go ok on 8” trucks.

Ha yes totally!!!

I went through a bit of a crisis a while back and was breaking boards and throwing them around and just being a dick really, which I was not proud of at all, so I almost resigned myself to the fact that when I was tired, sore, injured or whatever I would get out the hardest board to do any tricks on and just roll around.

It used to be almost too easy to go from cruiser mode, to hey I will try this or that and soon enough I was back in the hot seat again and getting mad...

With a couple of second hand completes I just bought and built including a Dane 1, trying things on it last night at the indoor park session and realising very quickly that everything I wanted to do was just not working how I was thinking it would so just got out my normal board and had way more fun.

Sure it will work for someone, but definitely not for me.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2023, 04:35:33 AM »
I've recently set up my first ever shaped board and I gotta say I really like it. It's the antihero Robbie Russo "Lusso" shape. It's an 8.75×31.87×14.2 but it's 8.5 over the front trucks and 8.25 over the back. It's not too drastic of a change from a regular popsicle. It has that eggish shape to it. Really easy to flip.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2023, 07:18:04 AM »
Love a shaped board. My daily driver setup is always an 8.75 popsicle, but I dig a football shape when I want to mix things up.

AH Huffer
Heroin 9" symmetrical egg
Heroin 9.4" egg
Polar Football
BL Cardiel Football

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2023, 09:17:20 AM »
Love a shaped board. My daily driver setup is always an 8.75 popsicle, but I dig a football shape when I want to mix things up.

AH Huffer
Heroin 9" symmetrical egg
Heroin 9.4" egg
Polar Football
BL Cardiel Football
does the 9.4” heroin egg feel much bigger than the others? I want that foot room

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2023, 07:12:02 PM »
There was a time not long ago, I wanted a smaller egg shaped deck. I got one (8.1), and it sat in my stack, unused, for over a year. I gave it away a couple weeks ago.

I did get a bigger egg (Theories Nucleus shape) that was fun as hell for cruising the neighborhood. I razor tailed it and replaced it with a 8.3 flat as fuck DOA, which is also super fun to cruise on.

GT

• Rep: -15
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2023, 11:14:44 PM »
Crail 8.75 big boy jr