Author Topic: Who's the person (or company/reseller) that has pre-ordered over 300 MK1's?  (Read 1782 times)

suckmadeck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 27

https://imgur.com/a/iQrG4Bo

So, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any idea who has spent what I believe to be $300,000 on fisheyes. Honestly I think it could be The Berrics or an Instagram reseller but at this point I have no idea. My math might be a bit off but it's still no small fee. Theories? If it is a reseller you can guarantee that they'll be marked up.

ferbmx

• Rep: -2

https://imgur.com/a/iQrG4Bo

So, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any idea who has spent what I believe to be $300,000 on fisheyes. Honestly I think it could be The Berrics or an Instagram reseller but at this point I have no idea. My math might be a bit off but it's still no small fee. Theories? If it is a reseller you can guarantee that they'll be marked up.

The O´Shea brothers (https://www.instagram.com/a_happy_medium_/)

pj chad

• Rep: 7
So if it really is the O’Shea brothers, they’ll likely add on anywhere from 10-25% per each MK1 as they sell them off and make a nice little profit.

imjusthereforthechips

i think they're also picking up previously-enjoyed lenses, too. my friend was talking to one of them about selling his vx and lens, don't know if the deal went through. i think the real problem though would be batteries. unless you're switching the bayonet mount so it would work on a vx2000/2100, this venture already has an expiration date. the vx1000 batteries, from what i understand, are no longer being manufactured at sony. you can go aftermarket but they're usually no good. of course there is also the problem with tapes, too. but, that issue may be resolved by using that tapeless rig. that does add on a bunch of extra weight and also another target for flying boards. also, is video electronics even still operating? finding a decent person to fix/maintain vxs would be a bitch if kerry isnt doing it anymore.

300 MK1's is a shitload of glass, though.

pj chad

i think they're also picking up previously-enjoyed lenses, too. my friend was talking to one of them about selling his vx and lens, don't know if the deal went through. i think the real problem though would be batteries. unless you're switching the bayonet mount so it would work on a vx2000/2100, this venture already has an expiration date. the vx1000 batteries, from what i understand, are no longer being manufactured at sony. you can go aftermarket but they're usually no good. of course there is also the problem with tapes, too. but, that issue may be resolved by using that tapeless rig. that does add on a bunch of extra weight and also another target for flying boards. also, is video electronics even still operating? finding a decent person to fix/maintain vxs would be a bitch if kerry isnt doing it anymore.

300 MK1's is a shitload of glass, though.

There already exist bayorings which you can buy that will allow you to swap the vx1 bayo out out with modified piece that will fit on the vx2_00s. I’ve seen plenty of aftermarket batteries over the years, I don’t really expect a shortage of batteries to kill off the vx1. VE is still operating, talked to Kerry yesterday. There are also other people on Instagram who have been fixing vx1s.

It’s also worth noting people have been modding mk1s for HD cams. The one I saw recently was for the Sony NX80 and the footage actually looks phenomal. I think there’s some examples of it In the HD thread in this section.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Kerry is still fixing VXs, at least as of September 2020.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Wow that's a good chunk of money

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
i think the real problem though would be batteries. unless you're switching the bayonet mount so it would work on a vx2000/2100, this venture already has an expiration date. the vx1000 batteries, from what i understand, are no longer being manufactured at sony. you can go aftermarket but they're usually no good

I don't know where people are getting that the aftermarket batteries are bad?

I'm still using mine from years ago, even the aftermarket VX21 big boi batteries are going strong and those were purchased in 2013.

Also this is pretty nuts and I thought this might happen, bloody resellers.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:14:01 AM by pedro_mayn »
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

imjusthereforthechips

Expand Quote
i think the real problem though would be batteries. unless you're switching the bayonet mount so it would work on a vx2000/2100, this venture already has an expiration date. the vx1000 batteries, from what i understand, are no longer being manufactured at sony. you can go aftermarket but they're usually no good

[close]

I'm still using mine from years ago, even the aftermarket VX21 big boi batteries are going strong and those were purchased in 2013.

just regular wear and tear over the years from charging and discharging negatively effects the battery health. if its a sony branded battery you have for your vx1000, cherish the time that you have with it.

suckmadeck

Those aftermarket batteries work pretty good! And hell at least you can still buy them compared to OG VX1000 batteries.

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

just regular wear and tear over the years from charging and discharging negatively effects the battery health. if its a sony branded battery you have for your vx1000, cherish the time that you have with it.

Just discharge them with a light after a session, if they've run out of juice filming and then charge them. That's how mine have lasted long.

I've also got some 4800 (or 48000 I can't remember) batteries that are non Sony and those can last a whole day sometimes. Same sit, just discharge them.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

imjusthereforthechips

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just discharge them with a light after a session, if they've run out of juice filming and then charge them. That's how mine have lasted long.

I've also got some 4800 (or 48000 I can't remember) batteries that are non Sony and those can last a whole day sometimes. Same sit, just discharge them.

good tip but i got rid of my vx many years ago and i dont have any desire to film me or my friends skating, its not fun anymore......if it ever was fun in the first place.

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

good tip but i got rid of my vx many years ago and i dont have any desire to film me or my friends skating, its not fun anymore......if it ever was fun in the first place.

Maybe this subsection on Slap isn't for you, then...

imjusthereforthechips

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

youre right but im just waiting for a photo of 300 mk1s stacked up

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
I’d imagine 300 is about what they used to sell in a year, so unloading a years run in what will likely be hours if not minutes seems like a safe bet on their end. Hard to imagine that there are 1000 filmers out there currently in need of an mk1. 500, maybe, but 300 they’ll get rid of no problem just due to scarcity.

That being said I really hope people continue to use this lens on HD set-ups, it really is unparalleled and should still be the industry standard.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

imjusthereforthechips

O'shea's are selling the fisheye for 2k+ and not to mention they started the petition to bring back the Mk1. So they brought it back just to buy out the stock and sell them for 3x the retail price which was $700. scummy as hell.
if true then i believe that theyre just trying to double their money at a time when many people are getting government support to "stimulate the economy." business model-wise, very smart but scummy nonetheless. i guess they finally realized that people arent going to be buy happy medium 69 or whatever number theyre at and are trying to find ways to perpetuate their skate lifestyle......the only thing ill be buying is discount brand popcorn

ferbmx

• Rep: -2
Expand Quote
O'shea's are selling the fisheye for 2k+ and not to mention they started the petition to bring back the Mk1. So they brought it back just to buy out the stock and sell them for 3x the retail price which was $700. scummy as hell.
[close]
if true then i believe that theyre just trying to double their money at a time when many people are getting government support to "stimulate the economy." business model-wise, very smart but scummy nonetheless. i guess they finally realized that people arent going to be buy happy medium 69 or whatever number theyre at and are trying to find ways to perpetuate their skate lifestyle......the only thing ill be buying is discount brand popcorn

This is crazy!! how true is this information?... I thought the "save the MK1" peticion was a social action not a personal benefit maneuver...
Looks like the comment got deleted too!

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This is crazy!! how true is this information?... I thought the "save the MK1" peticion was a social action not a personal benefit maneuver...
Looks like the comment got deleted too!

I think markup for camera lenses is usually 10-20%, nowhere near 100-200%. This being a very specific item could change that for sure.

Also, when I purchased my Mk 1 new from Schneider in ~2015(?) It was between $900-$1000, not $700.

Regardless, I really hope they aren't trying to sell these for $2k. That sounds like straight up price-gouging to me.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
people are asking between 1500 and 2000 for a clean mk1 these days.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Century-Optics-MK1-Fisheye-with-VX2000-Bayo-Mount-MINT/133635216615

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
people are asking between 1500 and 2000 for a clean mk1 these days.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Century-Optics-MK1-Fisheye-with-VX2000-Bayo-Mount-MINT/133635216615

That’s because they’re rare and not available brand new. Injecting 300 brand new ones into the market does not warrant the same price.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
unless someone buys them all and set the price this high. which really would suck !

pj chad

has anyone actually emailed [email protected] and received a reply? I emailed them back when i first saw this thread, and still haven't received a response.

suckmadeck

has anyone actually emailed [email protected] and received a reply? I emailed them back when i first saw this thread, and still haven't received a response.

It's quite possible that they've ran out of pre-orders. Maybe they only had a certain amount?

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal

They may not be ready to start taking orders yet or something. Seems unlikely they would already have all the pre-orders fulfilled without anyone here knowing something. Is there some huge Mk 1-enthusiast community somewhere else on the internet?

suckmadeck

Expand Quote
[close]

They may not be ready to start taking orders yet or something. Seems unlikely they would already have all the pre-orders fulfilled without anyone here knowing something. Is there some huge Mk 1-enthusiast community somewhere else on the internet?

Resellers and people stock piling.