Author Topic: New to New York  (Read 2463 times)

asoftcookie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 7
New to New York
« on: December 04, 2020, 04:39:39 AM »
Long time lurker first time poster.

Just moved to BK  on a whim
Any covered outdoor spots?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 09:21:17 AM by asoftcookie »

Dr Steve Brule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
Re: New to New York
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:19:37 AM »
There's a ramp near the Atlantic Terminal in BK if you want something to skate. I think it's called SkateBrooklyn on Instagram or google maps or whatever. It's pretty fun but the ceilings are a little low and it can get crowded. Only $5 usually. Sometimes they have art shows or whatever so you get there and they say you can't skate.

VANS opened a park somewhere in the Bushwick/WBurg area I think in the last year but I'm not sure what the deal is with Covid. And another indoor park opened in the same area too I think, but again, not sure what the deal is with Covid. I think they might be a little more expensive to skate, too.

It never really got too cold to skate in Brooklyn the last couple years, only snowed a couple times too so you can pretty much always count on skating outdoors if you bring gloves or whatever. If you're in BK check out the newer park in Greenpoint near the Kosciuzcko Bridge if you want super mellow transition, that was my favorite park in the world. Up in Albany now but I try to get to the city on occasion
For Your Health

Acky Jacky

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 09:34:44 AM »
If I see you around I’ll say what’s up! There’s a weird skatepark down the street from those ledges, on Aberdeen past Bushwick on a dead end street. As far as covered spots or indoor parks, I don’t have any info about that, but the winters are usually fairly skateable as long as you warm up.

There is a a double quarter pipe with flat bottom (essentially a concrete mini ramp) in Carroll Gardens underneath the F G train lines near Smith and 9th (on Smith street) if you wanna skate transition on a rainy day, but they look really mellow.

P.S. where'd you move from?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 09:48:31 AM by Count Jackula »

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 10:05:41 AM »
That ledge spot is so fun! Just skated there a few weeks ago. If you don’t have it download skate savant they have tons of spots with the locations, between that and the QS app you’ll have plenty to choose from.

asoftcookie

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 05:48:45 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations! Definitely checking out those links and downloading that app

@ Count, I moved from LA

I really appreciate the answers! you guys came through fasho

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 06:35:09 PM »
Never really skated any indoor parks in the city but I know spots so feel free to hit me up. Winter hasn’t been too bad lately anyway. Fat kid park and LES are partially dry when it rains/snows.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 11:44:23 AM »
If I see you around I’ll say what’s up! There’s a weird skatepark down the street from those ledges, on Aberdeen past Bushwick on a dead end street. As far as covered spots or indoor parks, I don’t have any info about that, but the winters are usually fairly skateable as long as you warm up.

There is a a double quarter pipe with flat bottom (essentially a concrete mini ramp) in Carroll Gardens underneath the F G train lines near Smith and 9th (on Smith street) if you wanna skate transition on a rainy day, but they look really mellow.

where is this halfpipe at exactly bud

free max b
FREE MAX B

Acky Jacky

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 12:16:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

free max b

Put 422 Smith St. (BK) in google maps and do a street view. Half pipe is a bad characterization, two quarter pipes with like 10 feet of flat in between them haha.

TLDR Smith and Nelson 

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

free max b
[close]

Put 422 Smith St. (BK) in google maps and do a street view. Half pipe is a bad characterization, two quarter pipes with like 10 feet of flat in between them haha.

TLDR Smith and Nelson

St Marys Park. Smallest skatepark I’ve been to. Somehow fun, and its right in between relevant breweries.

Not a bad miniramp but the whole park is slightly downhill so it’s weird.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
good looks ima fucks witchya

free max ba
FREE MAX B

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 07:13:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

free max b
[close]

TLDR Smith and Nelson
[close]

St Marys Park. Smallest skatepark I’ve been to. Somehow fun, and its right in between relevant breweries.

Not a bad miniramp but the whole park is slightly downhill so it’s weird.
That place always looks terrible when I pass by lol. I’ve never skated it though so maybe I’m wrong. I should get Other Half for xmas thanks for the reminder 

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 05:17:14 AM »
Oh, it's absolute ass. I live within skating distance and I have no inclination to skate there, ever.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 08:02:03 AM »
Long time lurker first time poster.

Just moved to BK  on a whim and idk anything about it lol.
Are the indoor parks fun? What’s your fav? Any covered outdoor spots? Need some buddy’s to skate with!

Went to this spot the other day
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIMDFX5lqjq/?igshid=1q76we4x1v9fo

Thanks!
im at this spot alot and have a bunch of friends that live down the street, Ill say whats up if i see you over there.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 02:07:39 AM »
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
listen to cosmic psychos

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2020, 06:17:34 AM »
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qYh0XAoIi1U

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 10:37:56 AM »
Golconda aka Fat Kid skatepark is covered under a highway off ramp for all your wet weather needs*

https://nyskateboarding.com/2016/11/17/first-look-golconda-skatepark-in-dumbo-brooklyn-2016/

*i haven’t ever gone there when it’s straight up pouring but some coverage is definitely better than nothing

Pat Eisenhauer

• Rep: 23
    • Going Home Again avatar image
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 10:44:44 AM »
Despite the recommendations, and being under a bridge, Golconda kind of sucks when it rains.  It's all downhill so water runs in and puddles, plus the surface is slick as shit and is super treacherous if at all damp. There are a lot of parks under bridges (or partially under bridges) and all of them stay somewhat dry if its just a light rain or flurries.  As also mentioned, while it totally sucks as a skate park, St. Mary's tends to stay dry even in bad weather.  I spent a lot of last winter just skating the flat there.

You can normally find some patches of flat under most bridges so I'd suggest just exploring and finding the closest rain spot to you.

It's been rare that you can't skate the parks though.  Most parks have locals that will shovel them out pretty quickly.  For example Astoria was skateable two days after the blizzard last week.  Its the bowl parks (Chelsea and Owls Head) that can get shutdown for months if no one gets in there to clear them.

As mentioned Skate Brooklyn does have the indoor mini and there are some others you may be able to get in to occasionally but in terms of indoor parks Substance is it.  The main park is a(small) vert ramp, a bigger mini and a small "street" section around the edges but he just got a second warehouse across the street that is much more the "big open area with some random obstacles" kind of spot right now.

Worth mentioning is also 2Ntr.  It's like an hour train ride/cab from station to the park north of the city but we normally take a trip at least twice each winter.

NG

• Rep: 17
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 07:50:18 AM »
I feel like I'm one of the only people who likes fatkid but yeah it's totally gross when it rains more than a drizzle. Kind of gross when it's not raining too...