Author Topic: Anyone Skated Mount Baldy? Worth it?  (Read 2864 times)

SmokinJuan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Anyone Skated Mount Baldy? Worth it?
« on: January 14, 2021, 06:16:00 PM »
So I've been stupid bored during lockdown 2.0... and thinking about roadtripping some skate spots when the weather clears up. I'd love some suggestions but also wondering if anyone has skated Mt. Baldy/ San Antonio Dam?!

I read about Mount Baldy here
https://www.boardcoast.com/skateparks/mount-baldy-pipeline/

JW if anyone's been and if it's actually worth the trek... sounds like a pretty dope ride. I'm from Ontario but hoping to head out west anyways. Lemme know if it's worth it, or if you know of some cooler spots.

Thanks dudes! Take it easy and stay safe

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
Re: Anyone Skated Mount Baldy? Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 08:35:10 PM »
You might be better of posting this here
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?board=20.0

UWB is mostly for debating if indy is racist or if kader is a traitor for not wearing vans and RVCA until he dies

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 12:25:56 AM »
Haven't skated the pipeline but I go up to Mt. Baldy about once every three months just to disconnect. It's beautiful up there and I highly recommend it.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 04:04:35 AM »
Mount Baldy?  Sounds like my honeymoon!
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 04:08:58 AM »

Haha always good to find another Norm fan

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 04:22:54 AM »
It’s a fucking trek but pretty fun. I’ll never skate it again but it was a bucket list thing.

My wife’s from upland and her parents live on San Antonio street, so every time I go out there I think about that shit. There’s a million better spots you could skate that are no where near as risky though.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 05:31:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what did yul brynner's wife do on their wedding night
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Mr Cheese Resurrection

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 05:40:28 AM »
No but here’s Baker 3 for your enjoyment

https://youtu.be/aLwk3-LPIxQ

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 07:05:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

what did yul brynner's wife do on their wedding night

That reminded me of this

https://youtu.be/FGWTWGMbAAo

Has anybody ever put out a skatepart to the Toy Dolls?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »
@SmokinJuan I grew up next to you it. Feel free to PM me on here for some further details such as parking, what to bring, expect, yada yada yada.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Miserable Old Sack of Shit

• Rep: 31
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 06:37:54 PM »
Mount Baldy has been a bucket list spot for me as well, ever since I saw photos of it as a kid. I've never been there but have looked into it a bit, and apparently it's kinda tough to get to. There's a gap that you have to jump across if there's not a wooden plank in place to cross it, you have to make sure to go when there's no water flowing through, and supposedly the floor of the pipe is very rough, to the point that you will probably have to use real soft filmer type wheels to roll through it. Feel free to correct me on any of this, and good luck getting there.

Bam Fan 69

• Rep: 5
  • Veil Scaloppini
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »
Watch out for dried Salba Jizz

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 03:55:35 AM »
So what’s the deal, does this place ever get filled with water? Anyone ever got caught out? When do they dump water? I’m just interested as it seems terrifying and no interviews or stories about it ever talk about the water.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 06:51:04 AM »
TELL ME BOUT DAT WARDAH

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 11:44:16 AM »
TELL ME BOUT DAT WARDAH

@radcunt she wet this time of year. Likely will be skateable around May.

I’ve never heard of anyone getting washed out from the pipe, but I got washed out of the spill way with a few friends back in 2003. Not the most dangerous thing below the pipe, but not a fun way to get soaked with run off and loose a board either.
Wait it out. Live to skate, don’t skate and die.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 11:47:09 AM »
Mount Baldy has been a bucket list spot for me as well, ever since I saw photos of it as a kid. I've never been there but have looked into it a bit, and apparently it's kinda tough to get to. There's a gap that you have to jump across if there's not a wooden plank in place to cross it, you have to make sure to go when there's no water flowing through, and supposedly the floor of the pipe is very rough, to the point that you will probably have to use real soft filmer type wheels to roll through it. Feel free to correct me on any of this, and good luck getting there.

It’s not unskateably rough, but I’d suggest 99/98a duros at least 58mm or bigger. It’s nice to be able to slide through carves, and softies get a little boring there.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 02:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote
TELL ME BOUT DAT WARDAH
[close]

I’ve never heard of anyone getting washed out from the pipe, but I got washed out of the spill way with a few friends back in 2003. Not the most dangerous thing below the pipe, but not a fun way to get soaked with run off and loose a board either.

This is what I’m talking about. Thanks!!  Do they not open the valves at certain times of the year?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 08:08:13 PM »
It would be cool just to say you did it but I find fullpipes kinda boring.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2023, 11:05:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TELL ME BOUT DAT WARDAH
[close]

[close]

This is what I’m talking about. Thanks!!  Do they not open the valves at certain times of the year?

@radcunt thats a good question. There’s an inactive reservoir behind the dam wall, which the full pipe drains. The county moved over to a groundwater detention basin system below the pipe around 2008 or so, which the majority of the water is diverted to (I think, I’m no hydrogeomorphologist or storm water engineer). The water that comes through the pipe on low water years is from wall seepage, and from the inactive reservoir’s overflow on higher years. If you want to geek out, I’d reach out to San Bernardino County’s water agency.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2023, 05:10:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TELL ME BOUT DAT WARDAH
[close]

[close]

[close]

@radcunt thats a good question. There’s an inactive reservoir behind the dam wall, which the full pipe drains. The county moved over to a groundwater detention basin system below the pipe around 2008 or so, which the majority of the water is diverted to (I think, I’m no hydrogeomorphologist or storm water engineer). The water that comes through the pipe on low water years is from wall seepage, and from the inactive reservoir’s overflow on higher years. If you want to geek out, I’d reach out to San Bernardino County’s water agency.
Thanks for this! Amazing.  So basically it's an overflow for an empty reservoir.  It's the anxiety of surprise water that would boil my brain skating something like that, I have no idea how dudes could just skate it without knowing. 

There was a recent euro video of these guys hiking to a full pipe to skate and the next day they find out that it could have become active and utterly destroyed them. 

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2023, 07:39:56 AM »
I never really thought of how years of natural water erosion would make the bottom of a full pipe spot rough as all fuck but it makes too much sense.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 06:05:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TELL ME BOUT DAT WARDAH
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Thanks for this! Amazing.  So basically it's an overflow for an empty reservoir.  It's the anxiety of surprise water that would boil my brain skating something like that, I have no idea how dudes could just skate it without knowing. 

There was a recent euro video of these guys hiking to a full pipe to skate and the next day they find out that it could have become active and utterly destroyed them.

As long as you watch the weather report there’s really little risk (e.g., skate it in the dry seasons, don’t go during flash flood events, etc.). Perhaps I’m a little bias or blind since I grew up with it. Worth the trip on summer mornings for sure!