Author Topic: skating with a mask on  (Read 8477 times)

captaincheddar123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
skating with a mask on
« on: January 16, 2021, 04:35:16 PM »
what’s the deal with no one wearing masks while skating?  we’ve lived with the pandemic long enough to understand that masks help to some extent reduce the spread of germs, if they are worn by everybody.  across the world there are restrictions in place that don’t allow folks to walk into businesses without wearing masks, most places also strongly encourage or “require” wearing masks when being outdoors (although it doesn’t seem that anywhere really enforces it).  however whenever I see skaters (irl, on Instagram, in skate vids, etc), basically no one is wearing a mask.  I’m not a scientist or whatever, my understanding of the spread of coronavirus is limited to whatever news/media I’ve seen, but I’m pretty sure if you’re outdoors there is still a chance you can pass on the virus to other people.  especially at skateparks, and I guess it depends on where you live, but personally it seems like parks are just as or even more crowded than pre-pandemic parks.  I see like zero people wearing masks, people bumping into each other, skating so close to each other, etc.  seems like it might be sort of an issue lol, especially in busy cities like LA and NY, and especially since it seems like pro’s are traveling and skating all over the US still. what’s the fucking deal?  it’s literally so easy to wear a mask and skate, maybe it’s chill if you’re skating alone but at huge busy parks or even when skating with a small group of homies idk why you wouldn’t wear one.  idk just kinda bums me out, trying to get that vaccine soon trying to get that chip in me ASAP god bless

TLDR:  if you don’t skate with a mask on you’re a weak little wimp and should quit skating because there are much more difficult things in life and fuck you
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:46:40 PM by captaincheddar123 »

Baswell Cerry

• Rep: 0
Re: skating with a mask on
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 10:19:56 AM »
Yo dawg I'm with ya, masks are where its at and it's more important to wear one while skating than while standing around.

I have noticed tho that the mask obscures my feet and I can't see if they are on the board or not. It takes some getting used to.

Forreal tho if you're healthy enough to skate you're probably good to wear a mask during strenuous activities. It's funny cuz I've seen big bully macho men at the gym wearing their mask like a chin warmer. I'm like bro id be more impressed by your health choices than slapping on another set of 45s, but w.e Americans aren't used to this shit.
[Applause]

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 10:27:18 AM »
I only ever skate at 4am alone.
Although I do carry one in my bag most times.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 10:29:55 AM »
thanks for this topic, i’m sure the replies will be as even handed as the original post as everyone else who is “not a scientist and reads media” chimes in

blowjobtofakie

• Rep: 103
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 10:32:41 AM »
I got a fake Louis Vuitton mask I stole that I wear when it’s crowded at the park. I hope you’re proud of me.

masterpeepee

• Rep: -29
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 10:35:11 AM »
I just submit to whatever  the  authoritarian state tells me to

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »
I only ever skate at 4am alone.
Although I do carry one in my bag most times.

That bad eh?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -458
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »
It’s cold here and skating in a mask helps keep my face warm. I don’t find it annoying at all. Maybe if you’re pushing uphill nonstop it’d get annoying.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

foureyedjim

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
I actually didn't start off wearing a mask while skating either, but I saw a couple children at the skatepark complying with the mandate and I realized that I was being a big selfish baby.  If kids can skate with a mask on, I can too. 

It's pretty funny having this conversation with other skaters.  You get a wide range of responses but they mostly fall under similar categories:
- I know I should, but it's uncomfortable, maybe I should be careful haha (doesn't make any effort to change).
- My immune system is just fine, I'll be fine even if I get it.
- It's all a conspiracy, it's about government control, etc.

Fact of the matter is, too many people don't understand that it isn't about themselves.  They don't understand that in order for *everyone* to enjoy the skatepark without being concerned about their own/people they live with getting sick, you got to wear a mask.  But good luck having skaters being told what to do, they seem to hate that...

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »
It’s cold here and skating in a mask helps keep my face warm. I don’t find it annoying at all. Maybe if you’re pushing uphill nonstop it’d get annoying.
Perfectly put.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

michael scarn

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 11:22:18 AM »
So you couldn't have just searched out the 5 other covid threads on here? This has already been discussed to death (no pun intended)

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 11:29:04 AM »
People skate with masks?
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

Merman

• Rep: -40
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »
  I see like zero people wearing masks, people bumping into each other, skating so close to each other, etc.  seems like it might be sort of an issue

2 million dead globally and over 4100 deaths per day in the country I live in. Time to stop fucking around.

Should you find your skatepark has become a super-spreader shit show, know there are an array of options at your disposal:

1) The Social Engineering Approach - Arrive at the park warmed up and mask on, then skate around and only bust out your staple go to tricks so you look far better and more consistent than you actually are (sound familiar?). Marketing 101, the kiddies will start to associate mask wearing with coolness and better performance and follow along. For increased effectiveness, recruit an attractive female beforehand to start coming on to you during the session. If this technique fails, proceed to step 2.

2) The Ratfucking Approach - Warn the police that skatepark patrons are not wearing knee pads and helmets. Pigs won't enforce health safety measures to stop a highly infectious global pandemic, but they sure as hell don't want skateboarders disrespecting their local rules. They still won't help? Proceed to step 3.

3) The Pepsi Approach - Self explanatory, just buy enough to blanket the whole park in a nice sticky layer at night after everybody is gone. Get the cheap off brand stuff. The patrons won't know the difference. That gooey shit won't be gone until the next rain. Rinse, repeat. Can't get in because the park is gated up? Go to step 4.

4) The Desperate Pepsi Approach - Huck a bunch of open cans of Pepsi over the fence. Kinda running out of ideas at this point.

chrisskates808

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 11:31:41 AM »
what’s the deal with no one wearing masks while skating?  we’ve lived with the pandemic long enough to understand that masks help to some extent reduce the spread of germs, if they are worn by everybody.  across the world there are restrictions in place that don’t allow folks to walk into businesses without wearing masks, most places also strongly encourage or “require” wearing masks when being outdoors (although it doesn’t seem that anywhere really enforces it).  however whenever I see skaters (irl, on Instagram, in skate vids, etc), basically no one is wearing a mask.  I’m not a scientist or whatever, my understanding of the spread of coronavirus is limited to whatever news/media I’ve seen, but I’m pretty sure if you’re outdoors there is still a chance you can pass on the virus to other people.  especially at skateparks, and I guess it depends on where you live, but personally it seems like parks are just as or even more crowded than pre-pandemic parks.  I see like zero people wearing masks, people bumping into each other, skating so close to each other, etc.  seems like it might be sort of an issue lol, especially in busy cities like LA and NY, and especially since it seems like pro’s are traveling and skating all over the US still. what’s the fucking deal?  it’s literally so easy to wear a mask and skate, maybe it’s chill if you’re skating alone but at huge busy parks or even when skating with a small group of homies idk why you wouldn’t wear one.  idk just kinda bums me out, trying to get that vaccine soon trying to get that chip in me ASAP god bless

TLDR:  if you don’t skate with a mask on you’re a weak little wimp and should quit skating because there are much more difficult things in life and fuck you

I see where you are coming from but at least where I  live, we can skate without masks because it’s considered as exercising. Skating with a mask is hard too because it gets in the way for breathing. I try not to worry much about it.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »
You guys are fucking dumb if you wear masks outdoor parks while doing a physical activity, just keep your distance

Merman

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
You guys are fucking dumb if you wear masks outdoor parks while doing a physical activity, just keep your distance

Covid-carrying respiratory droplets can remain suspended in the air over long distances for hours at a time. I realize you want to be safe and exercise carefully, but people who dedicate their entire lives to studying infectious diseases disagree with your conclusion.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article#:~:text=Virus%20transmission%20in%20this%20outbreak,2%2C3).

cky enthusiast

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 11:46:05 AM »
i just checked and cdc sez it’s all good to operate w/o a mask outdoors as long as ur 6 feet apart. however, this is the same CDC that got us into this mess in the first place and is currently backing trucks full of expired vaccines into a landfill so who can you trust nahmean?! i hate wearing a mask cause it fogs up my glasses

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 11:46:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Covid-carrying respiratory droplets can remain suspended in the air over long distances for hours at a time. I realize you want to be safe and exercise carefully, but people who dedicate their entire lives to studying infectious diseases disagree with your conclusion.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article#:~:text=Virus%20transmission%20in%20this%20outbreak,2%2C3).
So WHO recommending people to NOT wear a mask during physical exercise isn't enough?

Merman

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 12:09:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
So WHO recommending people to NOT wear a mask during physical exercise isn't enough?

According to the WHO, your statement is true ONLY if you can keep your distance. This discussion we're having arose from the original poster complaining about parks being more crowded than pre-Covid with people bumping into each other often. So I think even the WHO would agree with masks in this context. Your solution of "just keep your distance" is easier said than done, especially with kids having nothing to do these days now that everything is closed.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:23 PM »
We are in the middle of pandemic, do you need to go crowded skatepark during that? Also, you would have to change the mask all the time if you're planing to sweat while wearing it.

Just keep your distance can also mean to stay the fuck away from those type of places.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

According to the WHO, your statement is true ONLY if you can keep your distance. This discussion we're having arose from the original poster complaining about parks being more crowded than pre-Covid with people bumping into each other often. So I think even the WHO would agree with masks in this context. Your solution of "just keep your distance" is easier said than done, especially with kids having nothing to do these days now that everything is closed.

have you dined out

Merman

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 12:31:18 PM »
stay the fuck away from those type of places.

I agree with that.

https://youtu.be/xvZqHgFz51I?t=83

chrisskates808

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 12:38:27 PM »
I know a couple of people who got a ticket for not wearing masks in the skatepark but it was pretty messed up because we were told we didn't need a mask if we were skating. Some cops are just too unreasonable.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 12:43:49 PM »
I mask up at the park, the general skate populace doesn’t seem to care but I’m a grown ass man and I’m not too cool to look out for my peers and my own health during a pandemic.. I’ll also reiterate the point that the cold weather makes it way more bearable right now. I love the people arguing that you don’t need a mask “as long as you keep 6 ft apart bro” yet every time I go to a park I see people lined up elbow to elbow waiting to skate a ledge.

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 01:00:30 PM »
Hard to breath, im sk8n faster than the virus, it's a massive no  4 me, but i conform to social distancing in between shredding the gnar.
S H A L O M

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 01:10:52 PM »
I am currently on quarantine with a positive Covid test. My symptoms are relatively mild. I hope they remain that way.

As someone already said, it’s seems a bit turboclown-ish that people say “You’re outside, just stay 6 feet apart,” but I ALWAYS see people on top of each other lined-up to hit a given feature at a park.

I would be horrified to know that I potentially gave someone else Covid (and God knows what results) because I was too selfish or steeped in vapid vanity to wear a mask. Moreover, there is evidence that shows masks have benefit to the wearer, too. Some masks are much easier to see in/skate in than others. It’s trial and error to find out which ones work best for you.

I mostly skate transition at parks* and I wear gear when on the bigger stuff. I’m actually huge fan of the mask/helmet look. It has a great post-apocalyptic, dystopian, Chernobyl aesthetic. I love that.

*I only hit parks to skate what I can’t often find in the street (e.g. transition). No way I’m going to deal with masses of skaters, BMX/scooter kids/etc. to skate a ledge I can easily find in the streets w/o any of that other added hassle.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:22:15 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

m477

• Rep: 8
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 01:21:05 PM »
I wear a mask at the grocery store and stuff but that’s about it, definitely not while outdoors.

Funny thing, went to the skatepark the other night and there were a bunch of people (50 maybe?) and maybe five had masks. Of those few, two were roller skaters that actually had it on correctly and the others were wearing them underneath their chin, the entire time I was there. It was hilarious, looped around their ears, fully under the chin skating and talking with their friends for over an hour lol. Can someone explain this? Is it a fashion statement? I couldn’t imagine they forgot, I mean an annoying mask rubbing your neck and chin?

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 01:46:51 PM »
I wear one whenever I'm out in public and when I'm doing shit in my backyard. I only do this because I live with my parents whom are both in "the window" (-Jason Dill) as far as being prime candidates for getting covid so I try to take as many precautions as I can. If I were living by myself, I probably wouldn't wear one unless I was at the grocery store or wherever masks are mandatory.

I wear glasses too, so skating with a mask on and in the winter time is an absolute pain in the ass. whatever, could be worse. Anyone who wears glasses, have any tips for foggy lenses? Soap and water used to work but since I got new lenses, it stopped.

Also, am I the only one who gets a little perturbed with all the new videos coming out where fools are neither wearing masks nor social distancing? Theres also people still sharing joints and whatnot, too. Most of these videos are from the LA area so I guess it doesn't surprise me that they're one of the areas with highest positivity rate.

chrisskates808

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »
I am currently on quarantine with a positive Covid test. My symptoms are relatively mild. I hope they remain that way.

As someone already said, it’s seems a bit turboclown-ish that people say “You’re outside, just stay 6 feet apart,” but I ALWAYS see people on top of each other lined-up to hit a given feature at a park.

I would be horrified to know that I potentially gave someone else Covid (and God knows what results) because I was too selfish or steeped in vapid vanity to wear a mask. Moreover, there is evidence that shows masks have benefit to the wearer, too. Some masks are much easier to see in/skate in than others. It’s trial and error to find out which ones work best for you.

I mostly skate transition at parks* and I wear gear when on the bigger stuff. I’m actually huge fan of the mask/helmet look. It has a great post-apocalyptic, dystopian, Chernobyl aesthetic. I love that.

*I only hit parks to skate what I can’t often find in the street (e.g. transition). No way I’m going to deal with masses of skaters, BMX/scooter kids/etc. to skate a ledge I can easily find in the streets w/o any of that other added hassle.

Damn I knew few people who got COVID but they are fine. I don’t necessarily think much about 6ft because you just add too much stress as if we aren’t already going through a lot.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 01:57:39 PM »
Damn I knew few people who got COVID but they are fine.

That's the problem with Covid, it's a roll of the dice. There are mild cases, and there is, well, Mark Waters (as of Jan 12 he has been in hospital for 5 weeks and on ventilator for 16 days).
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre