Author Topic: Beginner Filmer Looking for Camera Advice  (Read 1852 times)

socksthewizard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
Beginner Filmer Looking for Camera Advice
« on: January 17, 2021, 12:41:47 PM »
I've wanted to start filming skateboarding for the longest time, and I've finally decided to commit to buying a set-up. What I haven't committed to is what camera to purchase. Personally, I love the sound and look of videos filmed on VX's, but I really don't mind filming in HD. If anyone has cameras to suggest, whether it's a certain VX(or cheaper/similar alternative) or an HD camera I'd really appreciate it! Any accessory suggestions would be appreciated too :)

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Re: Beginner Filmer Looking for Camera Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 03:58:00 PM »
From a VX filmer's stand point, do think of these first;

- Consider you need to capture tapes (unless you decide to go down the tapeless device route). That means having a FireWire port (or a Mac that has IIRC, Thunderbolt that you can ise a FireWire to Thunderbolt connector). You can fit one easily to a PCI slot if you're on PC.

- Glitches can and will happen, so do prepare for those being a thing. Heads can die on you and are costly to fix.

- Don't be put off by VX2/21's (21s were the newest out of the two). Although they do not have the same look and sound of VX1's, they're still good cameras. You still get the VX 'look'. You could consider the Canon equivalents (XM1 or XM2) but using an XM1 myself borrowed from a friend once I can't say I was a fan and probably for the same price or for a bit more, you could get a decent 2 or 21 if VX1s are relatively costly.

- MiniDV tapes are becoming harder to find and thus, more expensive. I seem to see a lot of Instagram resellers having stockpiles, so maybe not too bad? I haven't asked them for prices since going down the tapeless device roure, so they could be $$$$.

- They are older cameras, meaning they can go wrong (same point with what I was saying about the heads) If you're in the US I believe Kerry still fixes them and if you're in Europe you got vx_doc on Insta, so you're not hard done by for repairs to be honest.

But uh yeah, depending on how commited you are don't let those points put you off. I bet other VX filmers might scowl at that, but it's something to prepare for if you are really considering the 'SD' tip.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 01:28:12 AM »
if you want to film fisheye aswell as longlens and you don't have money for a vx1000 MK1 combo.
i'd suggest the trv900 with the century babydeath (or the 37mm opteka if you're on really low budget).
you'll need a 37mm to 52mm step up ring to fit the fisheye on the camera.

you'll also need to make a handle for the camera and add a little bit of weight. It's an ugly setup on the outside but it makes great fisheye footage, not so far from the VX1000 MK1 for a low price.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 01:53:51 AM »
if you want to film fisheye aswell as longlens and you don't have money for a vx1000 MK1 combo.
i'd suggest the trv900 with the century babydeath (or the 37mm opteka if you're on really low budget).
you'll need a 37mm to 52mm step up ring to fit the fisheye on the camera.

This is a good shout - they don't seem to fetch as much as VXs, either.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 07:21:27 AM »
Trying to go full SD without having any of that equipment already seems like a huge headache to me. You're trying to source very specific components and everything is gonna be used at this point.

There are plenty of HD options that look great. You get modern media storage, connections, and aspect ratios, and if you want 4:3 you just crop it in post.

As far as actual video cameras go, the Canon XA series cams pretty popular, I use an XA20 with a 58mm thread mount Mk 1. (Unsure of what it takes to mod a bayo Mk 1 for the 58mm filter size, but it's likely doable, and there will be some newly manufactured Mk 1's available sometime in the near future, but who knows what the price will be?) The main benefit with a cam like that is it has a handle and is made for "run and gun" shooting already, you don't have to build a rig around it.

There are also tons of people shooting DSLR that look great, but I don't have specifics on brands or models. Good fisheyes for DSLRs are much more readily available as well I believe.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 08:53:34 AM »
to fit a bayo mk1 to a modern camera:

I use the ax700 because i can place the mic under the handle:
https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17864451860247954/

canon XA20 and sony NX80 are great but if you use an external mic for better sound quality, it has to sit on top of the handle, and it's annoying to film this way.

from what i've seen on the DSLR side, nikon D850 + the MEIKE 8mm fisheye seems good. i'm not a fan the sound of dslr tho.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 01:44:09 AM »
Figured this would be the right thread to ask.

My neighbor gave me his old camcorder and I am wondering if that is suitable for a fisheye lens for example? Anyone have experiences with camcorder?
Just want to film my homies. Nothing professionel.
IG: @flowterspace

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 06:17:45 AM »

My neighbor gave me his old camcorder and I am wondering if that is suitable for a fisheye lens for example? Anyone have experiences with camcorder?

make/model?

Any video camera can work for shooting skating. Figure out if it has threads on the front for filters, what size it is, and then you can hunt for a lens to fit it.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 11:01:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

make/model?

Any video camera can work for shooting skating. Figure out if it has threads on the front for filters, what size it is, and then you can hunt for a lens to fit it.

Aah, sorry. It is a Medion life X47030. Here is a picture.
I didn't see any threads for a additional lense, so I am not sure.

https://www.hood.de/i/medion-md-86641-x47030-aldi-full-hd-camcorder-videokamera-digi-cam-digicam-5mp-neu-86095108.htm?utm_source=gshopping&utm_medium=pc&utm_campaign=shop&gclid=CjwKCAjw64eJBhAGEiwABr9o2AU3ci5IeHqJ6gVUqCLAdQil6_AZb2m4Dti33Efxri7YuMhXIEq4cxoCRTMQAvD_BwE

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 05:26:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

make/model?

[close]

Aah, sorry. It is a Medion life X47030. Here is a picture.
I didn't see any threads for a additional lense, so I am not sure.

https://www.hood.de/i/medion-md-86641-x47030-aldi-full-hd-camcorder-videokamera-digi-cam-digicam-5mp-neu-86095108.htm?utm_source=gshopping&utm_medium=pc&utm_campaign=shop&gclid=CjwKCAjw64eJBhAGEiwABr9o2AU3ci5IeHqJ6gVUqCLAdQil6_AZb2m4Dti33Efxri7YuMhXIEq4cxoCRTMQAvD_BwE

I really wouldn't bother using that camera. It looks quite cheap and nasty, cheap Chinese shit.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 01:54:59 AM »
Yeah I wasn't sure about the camcorder. I will try it next weekend and see.

Can anyone might point me in the right direction for around 200- 300 $/€ cameras with threads for additional lenses?

At least 720p, 50fps and prefarably mp4 file output.

Thanks in advance pals.