Author Topic: Travel, the pandemic and companies'/sponsors' responsibility  (Read 4358 times)

professional

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Travel, the pandemic and companies'/sponsors' responsibility
« on: January 18, 2021, 04:28:23 AM »
Throughout the course of the pandemic we've have all seen skaters, crews, teams, etc. on trips, be it within their respective countries or internationally, and completely against any corona guidelines or restrictions when it comes to travel.

While I absolutely put some responsibility on these individuals and ask why the fuck they're still traveling, I am:

a) understanding that skateboarding as a career is an individualistic undertaking where you 'eat what you kill' and have to look out for yourself. Producing footage, photos and other content is the way to get paid and support oneself.

b) against putting all of the responsibility on individuals. It is a deliberate tactic of governments around the world to shift responsibility from their organizations onto individuals while ringing out phrases like "just stay home!" and other "recommendations" while ignoring real-world factors and refusing to pay people to stay home, provide free healthcare and cancel rent+mortgages.

So my question is, where is the responsibility of skaters' sponsors? Why are they not stepping up on this issue, but also continuing to promote the necessity to their riders to "produce" and in turn, travel? No skateboard company is exempt here, but I am especially looking at the major players who without a doubt have a company-wide COVID policy for their employees.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
Re: Travel, the pandemic and companies'/sponsors' responsibility
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 05:01:25 AM »
The last word is crucial I think. Most skaters are not employees in the traditional sense, but independent contractors.

The system is sold to potential employees as freedom/flexibility on the job; for a company, the benefit is freedom from health/social responsibility towards their contractors.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 05:21:42 AM »
Yeah, they're bit like governments in this whole scenario due to that relationship. Just like governments shift responsibility onto the people to stay home without actually giving them the kind of support that makes that possible, skate companies can enstate covid policies but still leave skaters out to dry if they don't produce.

Edit: you basically already drew this comparison, but to try to answer your question... skate companies are, at the end of the day, just companies that are fighting to maintain through all of this. I am not siding with the companies, but trying to explain that skate companies are like all other businesses in that they will put profit over people, especially those giant ones that I'm sure you were alluding to in your og post. All that said, I think the majority of the responsibility is ultimately on the US gov (and others) for the gigantic bunt that was their covid response.

The government should provide more relief to businesses and directly to people so there isn't a need to proceed with business as usual in an unusual time, or it should openly take responsibility for the deaths and spread.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:08:45 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »
I enjoy new footage just like everyone else, but seeing people on trips and not wearing masks pisses me off.

Especially when traveling to places like NYC, where we've until recently maintained consistently minimal case numbers since last May. If you're coming from high-covid areas and not adhering to the quarantining upon arrival/testing/social distancing/wearing masks outside your bubble, fuck you.

I realize I live in a whole other world than much of the country. It's infuriating knowing how we've lived/still have to live here (masks always/no indoor dining/closing businesses, etc.) and seeing the blatant flaunting of any guidelines that could actually help control/eventually end this thing from people out of town and in other states.

Obviously it's tough for businesses right now everywhere, and many have been forced to make questionable decisions to stay alive. It's a fine moral/ethical line to walk to and there's no clear answer.

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 10:18:42 AM »
COVID normally effects older people and the younger people know that. That is why they are carefree. When I go to the park, the older dudes are wearing masks or at least have them around their neck incase they have to get close to someone. Anyone under 30 is not wearing any masks whatsoever and not social distancing. Government regulations dictate privacy when it comes to patients in hospitals, so we will never see people suffering or dying. The most we see is a refrigerated trailer outside a hospital. The toll will never be real to people.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 11:06:54 AM »
wait wtf is covid?

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 11:16:32 AM »
COVID normally effects older people and the younger people know that. That is why they are carefree. When I go to the park, the older dudes are wearing masks or at least have them around their neck incase they have to get close to someone. Anyone under 30 is not wearing any masks whatsoever and not social distancing. Government regulations dictate privacy when it comes to patients in hospitals, so we will never see people suffering or dying. The most we see is a refrigerated trailer outside a hospital. The toll will never be real to people.

There are also weaker strains out there that people catch and when they are going through it or recovered they say "It was that bad, just felt like a cold...." offering a false sense that Covid isn't as deadly as people thought, then you see pictures of Mark Waters and hear of his tragic passing yesterday.

Wearing a mask isn't mainly to protect yourself it's to protect those around you. Just because someone is young doesn't mean the virus stops with them, it can still be spread, I wish people would realize that.

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 11:17:39 AM »
On the point about independent contractors I've always wondered how skateboard companies would survive in California with the AB5 law

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_IndependentContractor.htm

I'm guessing no skater has pushed the issue yet

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 02:09:25 PM »
At the very least companies (cough cough NHS) should stop posting video from super spreader events like that ramp party in Mission Beach. That shit is gross.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 02:21:18 PM »
wait wtf is covid?

I think Jordan Richter can answer this one

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 02:35:35 PM »
Crazy the publicly attended events are going on in the US.
In Europe, that stuff is/has been pretty much done for the past 10 months now.

I am aware that some companies aren't allowing staff or riders to incur travel expenses. I think New Balance are one of them.

Panettone

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 02:42:45 PM »
For them to the least it's ok but for when the never times happen you know it's never ok. And that's what is important. For us at least.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 03:01:11 PM »
On the point about independent contractors I've always wondered how skateboard companies would survive in California with the AB5 law

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_IndependentContractor.htm

I'm guessing no skater has pushed the issue yet
That’s definitely interesting.
From a quick look using their “ABC test”, the b question seems most likely to be open to challenge by skaters?
Effective January 1, 2020, hiring entities are required to classify workers as employees unless they meet all conditions of the ABC test:

A.The person is free from the control and direction of the hiring entity in connection with the performance of the work, both under the contract for the performance of the work and in fact.
B.The person performs work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity’s business.
C.The person is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, or business of the same nature as that involved in the work performed

artskool

• Rep: 31
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 03:41:56 PM »
I'm pretty surprised that marquee guys on companies like Nike and Adidas are out skating without masks in the city.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 04:13:39 PM »

Wearing a mask isn't mainly to protect yourself it's to protect those around you. Just because someone is young doesn't mean the virus stops with them, it can still be spread, I wish people would realize that.

It's pretty insane that this is still a thing that people need to be told.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 04:41:36 PM »
neoliberal politics deserve the blame on this one, not individual skateboarders / people in general. the companies also deserve some share of the blame but if it wasn’t for our government’s complete inaction on handling covid, we’d at least have returned to some semblance of normalcy at this point while waiting on a full rollout of the vaccine.   

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 05:01:57 PM »
For them to the least it's ok but for when the never times happen you know it's never ok. And that's what is important. For us at least.
I need to go lie down in a quiet, dark room after trying to read this comment
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 05:23:17 PM »
I'm pretty surprised that marquee guys on companies like Nike and Adidas are out skating without masks in the city.
Had a similar thought.
A few months back, there was that SLS team Koston vs team Shane thing which was all Nike riders, however only one dude was consistently wearing a face mask(Robert Neal). I understand why someone would argue that they don’t all need to wear one, but I thought it was a good choice for Neal to have one on which made me like that dude more.
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 05:38:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Had a similar thought.
A few months back, there was that SLS team Koston vs team Shane thing which was all Nike riders, however only one dude was consistently wearing a face mask(Robert Neal). I understand why someone would argue that they don’t all need to wear one, but I thought it was a good choice for Neal to have one on which made me like that dude more.
Pretty sure Robert Neal had tested positive, or at least had a covid scare (wow that felt gross to write) a few weeks before that bargain brand Dime glory challenge.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 05:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's pretty insane that this is still a thing that people need to be told.

I don't know, some people still need to be told the earth isn't flat, guns are dangerous, mass shootings aren't staged, vaccines don't cause autism, federal governments aren't satanic pedophile rings, and the planet is warming.

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 06:03:35 PM »
The last word is crucial I think. Most skaters are not employees in the traditional sense, but independent contractors.

The system is sold to potential employees as freedom/flexibility on the job; for a company, the benefit is freedom from health/social responsibility towards their contractors.

So t know how it is in the USA but in Australia you still have a duty of care to a contractor you engage.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 06:34:33 PM »
Since the pandemic began, I've noticed the majority of skateboarders do not wear masks. People of all skill levels regularly post footage of themselves skating maskless at populated spots.

A month ago a famous pro from LA drove a crew to SF's Union Square and they sessioned it for days maskless while weaving in and out of the masked general public / SF residents. All that footage is on YouTube where it's racked up nearly half a million views.

San Francisco has had a mandate that requires people to wear masks when they are outdoors and 6 ft or less (should be more) from someone they don't live with. In parts of the city the general public and communities do a great job at obeying this. I can't say the same thing about skateboarders.

I'll use Waller street as an example. Every day dozens of people skate together, weaving inches from one another, no masks. It's right next to a police station. There's no enforcement to wear a mask, so it will likely continue.

California is currently the worldwide Covid hot bed.

Wear a mask, look out for your self and your fellow humans.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 08:07:52 PM »
Since the pandemic began, I've noticed the majority of skateboarders do not wear masks. People of all skill levels regularly post footage of themselves skating maskless at populated spots.

A month ago a famous pro from LA drove a crew to SF's Union Square and they sessioned it for days maskless while weaving in and out of the masked general public / SF residents. All that footage is on YouTube where it's racked up nearly half a million views.

San Francisco has had a mandate that requires people to wear masks when they are outdoors and 6 ft or less (should be more) from someone they don't live with. In parts of the city the general public and communities do a great job at obeying this. I can't say the same thing about skateboarders.

I'll use Waller street as an example. Every day dozens of people skate together, weaving inches from one another, no masks. It's right next to a police station. There's no enforcement to wear a mask, so it will likely continue.

California is currently the worldwide Covid hot bed.

Wear a mask, look out for your self and your fellow humans.

This.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 08:44:28 PM »
I guess it is easier for some - I just became more of a hermit and don't go out much, but if you are in an area that has more issues, wearing a mask and trying to stay away from crowds is a good start.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

masterpeepee

• Rep: -29
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 10:17:49 PM »
Is this one of those cancel culture threads?

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 11:24:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So t know how it is in the USA but in Australia you still have a duty of care to a contractor you engage.

Yeah, it's not really like that in the USA.

Basically, corporations look for loopholes so they can benefit of the services of people but not actually have to take care of them. They hire a bunch of ppl to do the same job and never let anyone hit 40 hrs so they don't have to pay health benefits, they find ways around paying overtime, etc.

As with the recent law in CA that passed where employees could continue to be deemed "independent contractors" as opposed to "employees" (which Uber and other rideshare brands heavily finananced), the corporations can actually mindfuck their employees into thinking it is a more beneficial situation to be an "independent contractor" (the main argument I head was "flexibility"), against their better judgment.

Actually, after that law passed, I heard a report about Albertson's and some other grocers (Vons maybe) firing their whole delivery driver staff and just hiring independent contractors.

It's all fucked and it's just done to protect the corporation's bottom line.

What's weird is that, out of all the "sports", skateboarding should be one of the most Covid-resistant, or, in other words, one of the easiest sports to refrain from Covid spreading situations.

It can really just be two people spending their day together at different spots: a skater and a filmer (maybe even add a photographer if you want).

And, even though spots have become less busy with stay at home orders and shutdowns, IF a spot IS heavily trafficked with civilians, it could have been an opportunity for that skater/filmer/photographer to go find new spots. Get creative.

You want to go on a trip? Okay. Skater, Filmer and Photographer get covid-tested jump in a car and tour nearby cities/states then. Go find some shit.

All this other shit (international trips on airplanes, going maskless at crowded skateparks, etc.) during these times is just super extra.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 01:59:27 AM »

As I've heard Nike is actually issuing Travel Permissions for work. At least for Europe.

I think that the whole contractors situation is shitty aside of the current state of things.

But I think it's somehow good that companies are afloat and able to sustain riders and employees, and it's harder to be doing it in a 100% safe way. Even theoretically.

The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Panettone

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2021, 02:19:19 AM »
California is one of the richest cosmopolitan places in the world.

Yet to is a covid hot bed.

There are places in this world where people skip meals to be able to afford masks for their family. Doing everything they can for each other and the public good.

Yet those who have everything, treat everyone around then like shit.

Makes me sick

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2021, 03:32:59 AM »
I do agree with all you guys that argue for wearing masks and being responsible. I also feel that masks have become a political symbol in the US and that it is very difficult to talk about for example when they are actually useful and necessary and when they are just worn as a political point. I feel that wearing them while skating (that is properly distanced i.e 2 yards away from another person) they are not necessary. They are very useful to prevent infection (of other people) when you are indoors, though.
Travelling to another country obviously is another question. Alot of people get infected on planes. If possible that should be avoided by skate teams. Alot of skaters have refrained from travelling I think. There were alot more locally filmed parts last year.
I am not American so my observation is mostly from a distance. I watch American news and listen to podcasts. The two opposing positions by Marc Maron and Joe Rogan are pretty telling by the way.

What pisses me off a bit in Germany, where I live and which is currently experiencing a very serious second wave, is that all the rules are geared towards reducing contacts in our free time and not reducing any contacts at work. Office workers go to the office still, construction sites continue their work... So you have to meet your boss and co-workers every day, but you cannot meet more than one friend even outside! It obviously is a question of power, who has to cut back where, so the general number of infections can go down... Thank god, there is largely a consensus in Germany that the thread is real and that you should wear am mask in public transportation and in supermarkets!

Ghost Face

• Rep: 108
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2021, 03:53:53 AM »
99% of skaters don't wear helmets and their Sponsors couldn't care less. Why do you think the same guys/companies would give a shit about wearing masks? The potential risk to both the skaters image as well as the brand image far out ways the health risks.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."