Author Topic: Losing your board to the drink  (Read 1579 times)

Frank and Fred

Losing your board to the drink
« on: January 18, 2021, 07:33:26 PM »
In all my years of skateboarding, I am not sure I have ever lost a board to Davey John's Locker. I did today. Was skating a crusty spot and bailed a simple nose slide and my board went into a water fountain. Completely submerged but retrievable.

Anyway, I came home, took it completely apart, dried that shit with a hair dryer, took the opportunity to clean the bearings properly with isopropyl alcohol and reassembled.

Yet, now my OCD is fucking with me and I feel like I should just pass the deck on to some kid. Its not a new deck but still has (had) a shit load of life in it.

I did lose a board to a giant puddle of human piss before and all I kept were the trucks. I never ever get rid of trucks.

My question is, what do you do when your board goes for an unexpected swim in water not human piss?

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Losing your board to the drink
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 07:36:41 PM »
I relegate my soaked decks to the rain setups. Slap some white lithium grease in the bearings and you got yourself a rainy day cruiser.

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 07:43:41 PM »
lost a board to the san francisco bay a few years ago. didnt feel like jumping into that filthy mess, plus i couldnt even see how far down it went. on the bart ride home, i tabbed the acid that my friend gave me before i split. then drank a 40 of king cobra and watched fight club. that made things better, till the next day when i wanted to go skate.

never had a board fall in piss, though. that sounds like a nightmare. good for you for keeping the trucks. what kind are they?

i did have my board roll into some turkey poo. that was gross but the only damage done was to one wheel, luckily i always roll with napkins so i wiped all the shit off and kept skating.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 08:07:09 PM »

never had a board fall in piss, though. that sounds like a nightmare. good for you for keeping the trucks. what kind are they?

I believe they were some very worn down 149s. The bushings were never the right after that....

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 08:47:29 PM »
What you have done is probably the safest and best thing to do.

Set it up and skate it again.  If your board does feel soggy or at least heavy, skate it til it bugs you too much and pass it on.

Everything else can be cleaned, dried and will still work fine.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

nevrwasben

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 08:58:59 PM »
Oh, I thought we were talking about bein an alcoholic which caused one to skate less...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 09:12:44 PM »
Oh, I thought we were talking about bein an alcoholic which caused one to skate less...

I thought that too before I opened the thread.

Wouldn't be off in thinking so many dudes have ended up that way, hey?!?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 06:11:11 AM »
We were skating along the Portage canal and I looped out on a kickflip and the board shot out into the canal. Instantly gone forever haha.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 06:26:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I definitely lost about 4  prime years to the bottle.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 06:46:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I definitely lost about 4  prime years to the bottle.

I thought it was going to be about getting faded and leaving your board at the spot/park/bar.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 06:59:55 AM »
Yeah, I learned pretty early that skateboarding was far better than booze. Nothing worse than losing a sunny day to a hangover. Not going to happen. I'll drink a beer or two but I'm currently doing Dry January...

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 07:48:16 AM »
Also just compared the weight of the soaked deck to a crisp freshie of a similar size. It is noticeably heavier. Game over.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 05:30:08 PM »
Yeah, I learned pretty early that skateboarding was far better than booze. Nothing worse than losing a sunny day to a hangover. Not going to happen. I'll drink a beer or two but I'm currently doing Dry January...

Good for you man. Why didn't they name it Dry December or Sober September? That took me like 2 seconds to think of, I'm already better at naming holidays than the bozos who came up with that.

Never lost a board to a body of water, but I have lost a few to rain. Once something gets wet it never feels right to me again so it usually gets given to a kid or I just leave it at the park.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 06:07:25 PM »
definitely lost some years skating to the drink.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 01:51:36 PM »
went to the slopes last year and had way too many drinks at the end of the night and lost my snowboard
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 03:24:49 PM »
I’m horrified by the years of weekend skate days lost to hangovers. Or entire years for that matter.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 04:26:35 PM »
Pissed away my late 20's -32 33?! I quit drinking Oct 31st 2012 and had a few slipups here and there but overall I'm a lot better and happier.

Skating became my new thing and I'm really happy I joined Slap right around that time too under different pseudonyms and name's, you Pals made it worth while
Dueces Bitch's

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »
Hopefully your trucks don't meet the same fate as some indys I had that got soaked. They didn't rust, but they just don't want to grind well anymore. Every ledge/curb feels like it got waxed with surfboard wax.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 06:05:45 PM »
Once I was skating in a distillery while employees were there on shift. One of them challenged me to nollie hardflip over one of the oak barrels that had just been filled with rye whiskey. Sure enough, since I can’t really do nollie hardflips, my board landed right in that barrel full of rye whiskey. This is the story of my board ending up in the drink. Also, I love alcohol, so it also works as a metaphor. World is a fuck.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 06:12:31 PM »
Hopefully your trucks don't meet the same fate as some indys I had that got soaked. They didn't rust, but they just don't want to grind well anymore. Every ledge/curb feels like it got waxed with surfboard wax.
Take a brillo pad to them it'll give it a sheen you'll never thought possible.
Dueces Bitch's

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 09:56:25 PM »
went to the slopes last year and had way too many drinks at the end of the night and lost my snowboard

losing something big like a snowboard is like losing a car. it is equally impressive as it is expensive. im sure the altitude probably played a factor in that, as well.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 07:49:00 AM »
lost a board to the san francisco bay a few years ago. didnt feel like jumping into that filthy mess, plus i couldnt even see how far down it went. on the bart ride home, i tabbed the acid that my friend gave me before i split. then drank a 40 of king cobra and watched fight club. that made things better, till the next day when i wanted to go skate.

i did have my board roll into some turkey poo. that was gross but the only damage done was to one wheel, luckily i always roll with napkins so i wiped all the shit off and kept skating.

I enjoyed the trials and tribulations of this

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 04:57:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

losing something big like a snowboard is like losing a car. it is equally impressive as it is expensive. im sure the altitude probably played a factor in that, as well.
for context, it was a board I got when i was 13 (I'm 27 now) and was maybe $300 for everything. I shouldn't have even brought this up bc I'm having terrible flashbacks of being a terribly drunk cunt
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

DirtyHairHalo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
Park that soggy ass deck next to a heat register like I do with my pissy surf booties.
Marinate and rotate to a nice golden brown. I'm sure you'll get some life out of that deck
before passing it on to someone else.

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 06:43:21 PM »
Park that soggy ass deck next to a heat register like I do with my pissy surf booties.
Marinate and rotate to a nice golden brown. I'm sure you'll get some life out of that deck
just curious, what kind of odor does evaporated piss put out? for some reason, a gas station's toilet is what immediately comes to mind.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 06:52:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
just curious, what kind of odor does evaporated piss put out? for some reason, a gas station's toilet is what immediately comes to mind.
if you have a stainless steel pot, stove, and a full bladder, you can find out yourself

*gatorade bottle and microwave can substitute pot and stove*
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1195
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 07:20:35 PM »
In all my years of skateboarding, I am not sure I have ever lost a board to Davey John's Locker. I did today. Was skating a crusty spot and bailed a simple nose slide and my board went into a water fountain. Completely submerged but retrievable.

Anyway, I came home, took it completely apart, dried that shit with a hair dryer, took the opportunity to clean the bearings properly with isopropyl alcohol and reassembled.

Yet, now my OCD is fucking with me and I feel like I should just pass the deck on to some kid. Its not a new deck but still has (had) a shit load of life in it.

I did lose a board to a giant puddle of human piss before and all I kept were the trucks. I never ever get rid of trucks.

My question is, what do you do when your board goes for an unexpected swim in water not human piss?

It’s not your OCD.  Just like a car with flood damage, it has been permanently compromised and will never skate correctly ever again.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.