Author Topic: Holding long noseslides  (Read 2572 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Holding long noseslides
« on: January 19, 2021, 08:21:23 AM »
Front nose or back nose. I have them both but only relatively short ones, I am not great at leaning into them and sitting on long ones. Any advice? I know I have too much body weight over the tail side, I eventually naturally lean out that way and fall out. I can’t seem to do that shit where I see skaters putting all their weight on the nose and their other foot barely doing anything.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Re: Holding long noseslides
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »
Backside nose slides are a great trick to slide long on. Great for us older guys cause the risk factor is minimal.

I come out regular and find it is easier to hold on longer knowing that.

I approach the ledge at a tight angle, same as a crooked grind, because I want the momentum going down the length of the ledge.

I like to Ollie and point the bottom of my foot on the top of the ledge. Too much heal and you have to adjust when you get on the ledge.

I usually stop dead a few times before I get a 6 ft long one. When coming out regular I usually wait until about the end of the ledge and just push my front foot ahead of the slide and you get a slight enough nollie to come out parallel to the ledge.

I think the biggest tip is to stay tight to the ledge. If you lunge sideways to the ledge you will have a hard time standing on top of the ledge.

No need to lean back just bend your front knee and get comfortable standing slightly on forefoot.

If you have a nicely waxed curb just go at it as that is how most of us early 90s kids started.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:34:18 AM by GardenSkater77 »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
^This is all pretty good for backside noseslides. Make sure you have your center of gravity over the nose, don't over turn so that your wheel jams. You can practice just going stationary or slow, ollieing 90 degrees into a nosestall and see if you can just stand on it indefinitely. If you can, sliding is the same as doing that with some speed. Once you get the feeling, you can really do them pretty indefinitely if the ledge is good and you have enough wax.

Could use some help for long frontside noseslides, I find switch front noses a tiny bit easier to hold but both are a struggle. Longest ones I've slid both ways have been a hair over two board lengths, measured it once lol. But definitely hard to reproduce that and I feel like I'm not really leaning into it like with a backside noseslide. I jam my wheels a lot with slightly overrating when getting in if I really try to lean into it and sit on it.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 12:36:40 PM »
how do u get out of noseslide with speed

I feel no matter how hard i charge at the ledge I can slide further but when i exit i always pretty much am barely walking speed

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 01:00:35 PM »
how do u get out of noseslide with speed

I feel no matter how hard i charge at the ledge I can slide further but when i exit i always pretty much am barely walking speed

Gotta pop out while you still have speed. Its tempting to slide until you can't slide any further if you want to roll away with speed you have to pop out a bit earlier than that.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 03:25:38 PM »
I found that moving my back foot as close to the back bolts as possible before I pop helps to get my weight where it needs to be over the nose. When I get on the ledge my weight is over the ball of my foot, as I settle in my weight shifts back across the whole nose. Go fast, lots of wax, and get those arms up.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 10:55:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice bros.  Just waiting to not be buried in snow and freezing so I can actually try. My issue was definitely related to putting too much weight out over the rest of the board not the nose. I just sort of gradually lean back down to the ground and fall out

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
One thought that completely changed my noseslides (especially front noses) is that you'd rather under-rotate than over. About a year ago i started thinking about having my back wheel against the ledge more so than the front wheel (so toe-side, when doing a fs nose), and suddenly out of nowhere i got to where I could slide the shit out of a front nose and come out nicely to regular. Before this, I spent a decade doing shitty fs noseslides to fakie where I would barely slide and it was a roll of the dice if i'd be balanced over it. It's now a go-to trick.

I think i do end up sliding at roughly a 90º angle, but mentally i imagine locking in a little under-rotated, with my front truck still ahead of the rear. This is the same principle as mentally trying to over-rotate your tailslides

Brguy

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 03:32:34 AM »
I find something useful sometimes is to not try to tweak the nose onto the ledge, but instead just let it rocked until the ledge height and delicately push it onto a noseslide with your toe. A tip I would really like though is how to avoid landing primo when coming out.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 03:54:05 AM »
I find something useful sometimes is to not try to tweak the nose onto the ledge, but instead just let it rocked until the ledge height and delicately push it onto a noseslide with your toe. A tip I would really like though is how to avoid landing primo when coming out.

Use your front foot to guide the board out, push it straight forward. Also make sure you're not leaving it too late, you should start to come out while your nose is still on the ledge
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 03:08:45 PM »
One thought that completely changed my noseslides (especially front noses) is that you'd rather under-rotate than over. About a year ago i started thinking about having my back wheel against the ledge more so than the front wheel (so toe-side, when doing a fs nose), and suddenly out of nowhere i got to where I could slide the shit out of a front nose and come out nicely to regular. Before this, I spent a decade doing shitty fs noseslides to fakie where I would barely slide and it was a roll of the dice if i'd be balanced over it. It's now a go-to trick.

I think i do end up sliding at roughly a 90º angle, but mentally i imagine locking in a little under-rotated, with my front truck still ahead of the rear. This is the same principle as mentally trying to over-rotate your tailslides
This. Underrotating noseslides (or overrotating tailslides) lets the momentum do the work of locking the baseplate with the ledge.

tony mugu

• Rep: -1
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 02:47:48 AM »
i have given completely up on back noses(the fs180 one) as i've been trying them for a year now and I never get a decent slide. my slappy noses are decent (on curbs) but whenever I ollie it seems that as soon as i land on the ledge I stop. at the moment im guessing it's because I ollie too high but I don't have a clue.

Brguy

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 06:07:47 AM »
i have given completely up on back noses(the fs180 one) as i've been trying them for a year now and I never get a decent slide. my slappy noses are decent (on curbs) but whenever I ollie it seems that as soon as i land on the ledge I stop. at the moment im guessing it's because I ollie too high but I don't have a clue.
Of the top of my head: ollie too high, spinning too much towards the ledge, hitting the ledge too hard, foot dragging, too slow and too little wax. Could be anyone of those.

Luismps

• Rep: 5
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2023, 06:35:41 AM »
Hello

I need help on this!
I always land crooks when trying nose slide!

Any tips? Besides “learn crooks already” 🤣

Thx!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 09:10:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Of the top of my head: ollie too high, spinning too much towards the ledge, hitting the ledge too hard, foot dragging, too slow and too little wax. Could be anyone of those.
It's gonna seem dumb but try nollie noseslides. If you can Slappy nose decently it's just like doing a little hop first.

Also for all slide tricks having access to a decent downhill ledge will help a ton. You can do the get into stall and nudge/ wiggle to get it started or even just set the board on the ledge and stand on it but it's an easy way to figure out how to lean and where to put pressure to get a slide going consistently. (Prob not gonna really work for lipslides or bluntslides etc)

switchfakie

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2023, 06:09:40 PM »
the trick is to use a shit ton of wax and/or speed & you never straight leg it if youre planning on having a pressed & long nose slide, you always want to have your front knee bent

when you're approaching, it also helps to be crouched down lower than usual - i dont have a scientific reason for this, but i noticed i can hold my nose slides wayy longer (5-10 ft +) if i do this