Author Topic: Travel, the pandemic and companies'/sponsors' responsibility  (Read 4342 times)

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
Re: Travel, the pandemic and companies'/sponsors' responsibility
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2021, 05:49:30 AM »
Is this one of those cancel culture threads?

Do you mean
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2021, 06:00:27 AM »
COVID normally effects older people and the younger people know that. That is why they are carefree. When I go to the park, the older dudes are wearing masks or at least have them around their neck incase they have to get close to someone. Anyone under 30 is not wearing any masks whatsoever and not social distancing. Government regulations dictate privacy when it comes to patients in hospitals, so we will never see people suffering or dying. The most we see is a refrigerated trailer outside a hospital. The toll will never be real to people.

I think that is true for some, they're happier to bury their heads in the sand! Interestingly, in the last few week, the nightly BBC news in the UK has been reporting from a hospital in London. They regularly interview people who have lost family members and staff that are pushed to breaking point. Not sure if it is the specific intention to shock but hopefully has that effect on some people!

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2021, 07:46:37 AM »
On the one hand, I’m not surprised so many crews are still traveling and filming without masking Etc.

Most skateboarders are relatively young, and I can see myself at 18-24 or so being like “why do I have to give all this shit up (normalcy) to save mostly people who are probably going to die soon anyways because they’re old or unhealthy?” which is a super fucked attitude, but I imagine one that is more common than we think.

I don’t get why they don’t at least wear masks when skating. It doesn’t take anything away from the aesthetics of the skating in my opinion, and it’s not a hard thing to do. I skate, do cardio, and lift weights wearing a mask and it is not challenging. My 60+ year old dad runs wearing one. 20 something skaters have no excuse to not wear them in public.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2021, 08:47:08 AM »
Eli Reed has a been the worst and massively pissing me off. He was skating all around NYC throughout the entire past 10 months without a mask, posting himself talking with people, buying stuff from street vendors, and now has traveled to fucking Jamaica and is partying it up. It’s so shitty and gross.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2021, 09:01:49 AM »
People seem to assume if a certain area or country is open for business/tourism then they can do as they please and nobody should have anything to say. But that’s only partially true. Sure, if you’re not technically breaking any laws, feel free to be reckless, but people are also free to talk shit and dislike you if the they want to.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2021, 10:10:20 AM »
farthest i've been was chicago, bout an hour away. shits crazy, i just dont get it. part of me wishes i was as emboldened as some of these people, but then im glad im not a shit human.

shoutout to the skaters who have filmed safely

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2021, 11:51:35 AM »
Would just like to say fuck Kris Markovich. I wish he'd just stop being at all present or paid attention to in skateboarding. His chiding people for wearing a mask and his love of conspiracy theories is all gross as fuck, especially in light of Mark Waters just passing away.
ok thanks

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »
99% of skaters don't wear helmets and their Sponsors couldn't care less. Why do you think the same guys/companies would give a shit about wearing masks? The potential risk to both the skaters image as well as the brand image far out ways the health risks.

False equivalency.
No helmet = hurt only yourself.
No mask = potentially kill other people.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2021, 01:05:09 PM »
What else is there to do other than to stop watching their videos and buying their shit? Capitalism is about giving no fucks outside the $bottom line$. There's no such thing as ethical consumption, especially when huge multinationals have invaded our skateboarding space.

Y'all call people out for not wearing masks when you're skating or for not wearing masks in general or is it just on the internet? A little shame goes a long ways in my experience. People might get froggy but they don't jump. I've had people lose it when I've said "hey, nice mask" or "one of these things is not like the other. see anyone else not wearing a mask?" A month ago a redneck biker dude with his daughter-wife literally broke down and start screaming in the middle of a crowded market in Northern California "what you say to me? suck my dick motherfucker. that's right suck my fucking dick" before leaving and getting into his truck.

Personally, I'm limiting my skating to places where there aren't people and I leave when it gets crowded. I think it's foolish that people crowd up in parks all day and refuse to get down. I was pretty stoked when some little dudes, probably like 14 or so, showed up to the spot and when I decided to bounce they said "hey, excuse me, but are you leaving because of us? we'll go skate somewhere else." I told them that I was leaving because I don't like skating with people during Coronavirus and they said "oh, we'll put on our masks" and they proceeded to spend the afternoon skating with masks.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2021, 01:05:47 PM »
They are very useful to prevent infection (of other people)...

There is now strong evidence that wearing an effective mask also provides some protection to the wearer.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/11/933903848/wear-masks-to-protect-yourself-from-the-coronavirus-not-only-others-cdc-stresses

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2021, 01:15:38 PM »
What else is there to do other than to stop watching their videos and buying their shit? Capitalism is about giving no fucks outside the $bottom line$. There's no such thing as ethical consumption, especially when huge multinationals have invaded our skateboarding space.

Y'all call people out for not wearing masks when you're skating or for not wearing masks in general or is it just on the internet? A little shame goes a long ways in my experience. People might get froggy but they don't jump. I've had people lose it when I've said "hey, nice mask" or "one of these things is not like the other. see anyone else not wearing a mask?" A month ago a redneck biker dude with his daughter-wife literally broke down and start screaming in the middle of a crowded market in Northern California "what you say to me? suck my dick motherfucker. that's right suck my fucking dick" before leaving and getting into his truck.

Personally, I'm limiting my skating to places where there aren't people and I leave when it gets crowded. I think it's foolish that people crowd up in parks all day and refuse to get down. I was pretty stoked when some little dudes, probably like 14 or so, showed up to the spot and when I decided to bounce they said "hey, excuse me, but are you leaving because of us? we'll go skate somewhere else." I told them that I was leaving because I don't like skating with people during Coronavirus and they said "oh, we'll put on our masks" and they proceeded to spend the afternoon skating with masks.
Whoa those are some cool kids

Ghost Face

• Rep: 95
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2021, 04:52:51 AM »
Expand Quote
99% of skaters don't wear helmets and their Sponsors couldn't care less. Why do you think the same guys/companies would give a shit about wearing masks? The potential risk to both the skaters image as well as the brand image far out ways the health risks.
[close]

False equivalency.

I was trying to say that companies don't seem to care about riders wearing a helmet so why would they care about masks? Riders are independent contractors, health is their issue, not the companies responsibility?
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
I'm sure it's been pointed out and discussed already, but this recently posted clip from Indy stands out as something to add to the topic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJunzhWh_Hq/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:19:40 AM by Ishaboi »

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2021, 09:03:08 AM »
I do agree with all you guys that argue for wearing masks and being responsible. I also feel that masks have become a political symbol in the US and that it is very difficult to talk about for example when they are actually useful and necessary and when they are just worn as a political point. I feel that wearing them while skating (that is properly distanced i.e 2 yards away from another person) they are not necessary. They are very useful to prevent infection (of other people) when you are indoors, though.
Travelling to another country obviously is another question. Alot of people get infected on planes. If possible that should be avoided by skate teams. Alot of skaters have refrained from travelling I think. There were alot more locally filmed parts last year.
I am not American so my observation is mostly from a distance. I watch American news and listen to podcasts. The two opposing positions by Marc Maron and Joe Rogan are pretty telling by the way.

What pisses me off a bit in Germany, where I live and which is currently experiencing a very serious second wave, is that all the rules are geared towards reducing contacts in our free time and not reducing any contacts at work. Office workers go to the office still, construction sites continue their work... So you have to meet your boss and co-workers every day, but you cannot meet more than one friend even outside! It obviously is a question of power, who has to cut back where, so the general number of infections can go down... Thank god, there is largely a consensus in Germany that the thread is real and that you should wear am mask in public transportation and in supermarkets!

THIS!
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »
I do agree with all you guys that argue for wearing masks and being responsible. I also feel that masks have become a political symbol in the US and that it is very difficult to talk about for example when they are actually useful and necessary and when they are just worn as a political point. I feel that wearing them while skating (that is properly distanced i.e 2 yards away from another person) they are not necessary. They are very useful to prevent infection (of other people) when you are indoors, though.
Travelling to another country obviously is another question. Alot of people get infected on planes. If possible that should be avoided by skate teams. Alot of skaters have refrained from travelling I think. There were alot more locally filmed parts last year.
I am not American so my observation is mostly from a distance. I watch American news and listen to podcasts. The two opposing positions by Marc Maron and Joe Rogan are pretty telling by the way.

What pisses me off a bit in Germany, where I live and which is currently experiencing a very serious second wave, is that all the rules are geared towards reducing contacts in our free time and not reducing any contacts at work. Office workers go to the office still, construction sites continue their work... So you have to meet your boss and co-workers every day, but you cannot meet more than one friend even outside! It obviously is a question of power, who has to cut back where, so the general number of infections can go down... Thank god, there is largely a consensus in Germany that the thread is real and that you should wear am mask in public transportation and in supermarkets!

I'm totally respectful of the threat that is COVID, always wear my mask, limit my contacts, etc. but the restrictions in Germany are bullshit. If one looks even half closely, they could tell the restrictions are completely geared toward sustaining the economy with no real thought of protections for everyday people. If this government was serious about tackling COVID, there would be social programs and funds for people to actually stay home. For this reason I am getting pretty tired of things.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2021, 10:17:28 AM »
UK is exactly the same. We now have the highest death rate in the entire world. The fucking UK. We should be better than this. Our government flip flopped between trying to save people's lives and saving the economy and now have unequivocally completely fucked both of them. The highest death rate AND one of the biggest economic fallouts. I fucking hate this country
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2021, 10:38:31 AM »
I enjoy new footage just like everyone else, but seeing people on trips and not wearing masks pisses me off.

This^^. I'm in Arizona where we have the worst Covid numbers in the World and people think its a joke. I'm all for new footage but I'd love to see more pro's who have tons of influence take this thing serious.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm totally respectful of the threat that is COVID, always wear my mask, limit my contacts, etc. but the restrictions in Germany are bullshit. If one looks even half closely, they could tell the restrictions are completely geared toward sustaining the economy with no real thought of protections for everyday people. If this government was serious about tackling COVID, there would be social programs and funds for people to actually stay home. For this reason I am getting pretty tired of things.

The rules in Germany have being getting progressively more stupid: Thinking of shutting down public transportation, requiring FFP masks, restricting the radius which people can travel, etc... Meanwhile letting people go hit the ski slopes over Christmas. The grocery stores and tons of places also require you to get a shopping cart or basked, which you can only get if you have a euro coin to put in it, so you raise the risk of contracting the virus through contaminated surfaces.

They've said they don't know how the infection rates have gotten so bad and it seems like they're grasping at straws. I'm kind of surprised because it seems like the countries getting fucked are just ignoring how other countries did it right - Taiwan, for example.

At least where I'm at, I feel like my highest risk activity is going to the grocery store. Plus, people still have their noses hanging out of their masks. So as to still skating, if I were to meet up with a friend/filmer to go skate it's pretty easy to keep our distance and also be truthful about our previous interactions.

You definitely have some personal responsibility when it comes to all this, and no one wants to be fully locked down, but if country a & country b are allowing people in - especially just regular tourists - people will still go. Even if you get tested before entering, some infected person is going to slip through the cracks.

It is also weird it seems like it's being played up in politics. Selling masks, hell even selling the tests, are on facebook ads now. In Germany, you have to get and pay for  2 separate tests now when you enter if you don't want to quarantine for 10 days.

But I digress. I'm not making the rules so shit is what it is for wherever you live I guess.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2021, 10:54:24 AM »
Expand Quote
They are very useful to prevent infection (of other people)...
[close]

There is now strong evidence that wearing an effective mask also provides some protection to the wearer.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/11/933903848/wear-masks-to-protect-yourself-from-the-coronavirus-not-only-others-cdc-stresses

Yes. According to scientists here in Germany that depends on the type of mask that is worn. FFP2 and medical masks also protect the wearer and most regular or self made masks not so much.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2021, 06:48:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Whoa those are some cool kids

ya, truly cool young dudes. kinda made me feel like the old dude though. lol. either way, it's good to see kids that aren't entitled dick wads.

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2021, 09:19:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

False equivalency.
[close]

I was trying to say that companies don't seem to care about riders wearing a helmet so why would they care about masks? Riders are independent contractors, health is their issue, not the companies responsibility?

Ah, gotcha.