Author Topic: board feels heavier after putting speed cream on swiss bearings  (Read 1341 times)

call of duty soldier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
board feels heavier after putting speed cream on swiss bearings
« on: January 20, 2021, 11:12:17 AM »
Is it normal for your skateboard to feel heavier/water logged after putting bones speed cream in your bearings?

I recently put speed cream in one of my bearings to make it smoother, then ended up lubing all over my bearings since i only do this like 2 or 3 times a year to make my board faster.

Now my bearings are much smoother but my board is heavy as fuck and sounds water logged when i pop shit.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: board feels heavier after putting speed cream on swiss bearings
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 02:15:16 PM »
Is it normal for your skateboard to feel heavier/water logged after putting bones speed cream in your bearings?

I recently put speed cream in one of my bearings to make it smoother, then ended up lubing all over my bearings since i only do this like 2 or 3 times a year to make my board faster.

Now my bearings are much smoother but my board is heavy as fuck and sounds water logged when i pop shit.
I know exactly what you are talking about. Sorry man but I think you doused your bearings do not put a lot of lube in there....... when they say put a dot of lube like a safety pin dot of lube.  

Look I've told many kids at the shop I use to work at whenever they were to relube their bearings I'd have a spare rag for them to bust the dust off them and a can of duster afterwards then speed cream. I've had the same Swiss 6's since 2003 they just recently started giving me grief. If you take care of your kit they should last you a while.

Dueces Bitch's

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 05:17:01 PM »
I hate the way my board feels after lubing up the bearings. More than one drop and now it feels gross for like a week.  Go ride through some puddles.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 05:41:13 PM »
That’s that heavy cream, baby.  :-*

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 05:59:13 PM »
use 2 drops in each bearing and give them an hour or so of break in time

Between bones bearings, the cleaning kit, and speed cream, there’s about 3000 words of instructions for how to care for them. Read it thoroughly and follow it exactly. Bones bearings are my religion, specifically the swiss six practice.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 07:00:49 PM »
The sound of almost raw bearings is a lot louder and more crisp than well lubed (or over lubed) bearings, and often translates to the board sounding less crisp too, so more of a dull thud when it hits the ground.

I wonder how much is mental and how much is truth, but I know some people always find their board weird if they have been riding bearings that were almost screaming at them before, but now are quiet.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 07:23:46 PM »
The sound of almost raw bearings is a lot louder and more crisp than well lubed (or over lubed) bearings, and often translates to the board sounding less crisp too, so more of a dull thud when it hits the ground.

I wonder how much is mental and how much is truth, but I know some people always find their board weird if they have been riding bearings that were almost screaming at them before, but now are quiet.

what are you even saying in that second paragraph at this point haha. Yeah, it’s weird to change from loud to quiet bearings?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 07:33:28 PM »
Yeah anytime you oil bearings your board will feel water logged, that’s been my experience at least, unless I use just a single drop of speed cream, maybe 2 small drops.

The first real board deck brand I got was a world indureties and I thought it sucked big time cuz it always felt water logged. Years later I realized it was because I would oil my bearings like every week
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 08:24:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
what are you even saying in that second paragraph at this point haha. Yeah, it’s weird to change from loud to quiet bearings?

Quite a few of the guys I skate with like them loud (often without shields too) but quite often when the bearings are not lubed at all, they are almost too loud (screaming), meaning they are almost to the point of blowing out, given bearings should be run with some lubrication.

They don't like the sound of the bearings when they are new with shields either, or when they are lubed and often say they can't skate like that, even though their board is considerably slower when their bearings are in that condition, hence the "it's all in your head" / mental reference.

Same way old mate here said his board feels heavier - how much lube can you put in and how much heavier would it actually be?  Maybe it is more in his head and less actual weight, hence the "I wonder how much is mental and how much is truth" comment.

This is more curiosity than anything else, but in the same way that if you get it in your head something to do with your setup is off, then the board will most likely not skate how you would like, you have a bad skate, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 12:27:40 PM »
I took all my bearings apart, cleaned them with water and dish soap and put them back together. Had a quick session today and man does my board feel strange and makes that dull sound. Also put in new bushing washer and new axle nuts, but that can't be reason something felt a bit strange today. Will see how it goes on the next session.
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 06:32:51 PM »
Yep...no more rattle rattle of your bearings...now they're all juicy and you feel/sound waterlogged.

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 09:14:41 PM »
The cardboard box sounding pop is the worst, classic rookie mistake.  This has happened to me a few times but after trial and error have corrected my ways.  Here are some tips:

-never lube bearings while the wheel is still mounted on the truck

-never use wd40

-clean the axle with acetone

-only use 1 drop (or even a half drop, my technique is to get a bead on the speed cream nipple and just tap it in, not drip it in)

-completely wipe down/dry the bearing with an acetone soaked rag before inserting the bearing back into the wheel, you don't want any lubricant residue on the outside of the bearing to come in contact with any part of the wheel

I use these techniques and regularly clean my swiss bearings whenever they start to seize via the bones instructions and they always sound proper.  I also use the shields, washers and spacers.  My oldest set of swiss is close to 10 years old.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:22:58 PM by m477 »

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 09:19:29 PM »
On a related note, soft bushings can have a similar waterlogged sounding pop effect.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 11:41:16 PM »
I’d say it’s more like a feeling of your wheels getting softer, even though they’re obviously not.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 11:02:07 AM »
One drop is plenty, two is shit ton.  Bearings are fastest when they are almost completely dry. 

Even with one drop I find I have to ride it a bit so the excess can spin out and things stop feeling sluggish or off.  Until then it's a bit like running through water.

ballintoohard

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 11:33:03 AM »
Put the wheel on the truck spin it with your hands a bunch of times, dab with a paper towel to remove the excess. Once it is in the cage and race it’s good to go. Excess on the balls collects grime. I recommend Tri Flow with the small tube dropper. It lets you get it right on the race groove. There is nothing special about Speed Cream and Tri Flow is default for high friction and load bearings in many things such as bikes.

While we’re on the topic of bikes- same principle. Lube each roller, run it through every gear position while cranking the cranks, then wipe off the plates and all chainrings and cogs.

MisterSpaceman

• Rep: -10
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 11:52:46 AM »
Spray the bearing with brake clean. That will IMMEDIATELY remove the excess lube. You can find brake clean at auto parts stores.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 03:15:25 PM »
use 2 drops in each bearing and give them an hour or so of break in time

Between bones bearings, the cleaning kit, and speed cream, there’s about 3000 words of instructions for how to care for them. Read it thoroughly and follow it exactly. Bones bearings are my religion, specifically the swiss six practice.

Exactly every word of this.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre