Author Topic: The Official Kamala Devi Harris Inauguration Thread  (Read 2216 times)

pleasant pheasant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Official Kamala Devi Harris Inauguration Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »
Additionally, the irony of "i don't like it when people talk about obama for being black" shows how uncomfortable you are with acknowledging the implications of being the first "non-white" president.
it's a reward for nothing. fame w/out merit. it's like being the first blond woman to do a double flip. just do it well, stuff beyond your control shouldn't get you a pat on the head. it's almost condescending. i'm uncomfortable w/ congratulating people about shit they didn't do.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2021, 10:36:56 PM »
Anyone know if this is a real pic or not?

CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 11:53:04 PM »
Since I noticed your edit:
Quote from: lazer69
You have committed wrongthink, feathers will be ruffled

I am not accusing nutso of wrongthink. the irony there is nutso wants to disregard all identifiers as inconsequential thereby making them wrongthink to discuss...

I'm not ruffled by nutso's sentiments, just calling out how ruffled nutso is for being burdened with a responsibility to acknowledge the importance of people who have to accomplish the goal of being qualified while also tolerating and persevering through prejudice. << That is the Merit.

The entire subject of my OP was to highlight the importance of witnessing barriers of prejudice being broken regardless of the candidates character.

Quote from: companguero
When you have nothing to say other than to quote a conversation or bait with a rhetorical question, just keep lurking
looks like you want it to be, but its not rhetorical...

I'll grant you were not being completely rhetorical if you couldn't recognize these trolls from nutso:

"sure but can you say every one was w/out a doubt?" - asking for omniscience

"has china ever had a non-chinese woman leader?" - loaded question

"if you can pull quotes from every single one, i'll accept that proof. til then...." - again impossible

How is HE trolling?

How dare you assume nutso's gender! nutso asked to be called nutso, I will respect nutso's preferences and refuse to dead name nutso.
^trolling^

...fame w/out merit. it's like being the first blond woman to do a double flip. just do it well, stuff beyond your control shouldn't get you a pat on the head. it's almost condescending. i'm uncomfortable w/ congratulating people about shit they didn't do.

I'll try an analogy:

If hundreds of years go by before a blonde woman is legally allowed to attempt standing on a skateboard and then after many more years be allowed to demonstrate her exceptional skill... she deserves a lot more than "a pat on the head" (condescending) for being the FIRST to overcome that overwhelming historical precedence.

You want the fact she was born female to support "shit she didn't do" which is accurate.

But you've completely disregarded the component of her accomplishment I illustrated which earns her merit.
YOU cannot seem to see that others DID DO a shit load of deplorable stuff beyond her control to increase the difficulty of doing ONE doubleflip.

Kamala deserves an accolade for being the first to earn her VP spot after an unbroken line of same samey dudes.
Give credit where credit is due. Give criticism wher criticism is due. That simple.

I don't think I've insulted you other than call you by the name you requested and I'm obviously joking.
I appreciate your contribution.
Especially by adding in your evaluation of her past, I wasn't aware of her affair.

Lemme ask you a real question. Have you ever triumphed despite a prejudice? Empathy could be a very enlightening tool here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:10:32 AM by companguero »

Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2021, 12:14:20 AM »
I just wanted to talk about how much I love New Radicals...

companguero

• sesquipedalian
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2021, 12:27:49 AM »
I just wanted to talk about how much I love New Radicals...

Is that all you've got to give?

Wrong thread, go start the "Official Joe Biden 2021 Inaugural Playlist Thread"

We play Kamala's Jams in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2482G1gog

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2021, 03:01:54 AM »
I feel it's entirely possible to be critical of a persons political career and acknowledge that they have broken barriers and made history. Not one to make heroes or celebrities out of politicians, but even if you see that Biden selecting Kamala was a calculated move, the impact is undeniable.

Biden/Harris weren't my first picks either, but you can't deny how monumental it is to have a mixed race woman as VP in America. Also, it probably doesn't happen at all without the precedent set by Obama's election. Anybody remember the prejudice he had to put up with even after being elected president?

Choosing not to acknowledge the merit they both deserve for their achievements is choosing to ignore this country's deeply rooted history of personal and systemic racism.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:31:24 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2021, 04:08:42 AM »
Willie Brown had been separated from his wife for 10 years when he was in his year-long relationship with Kamala.

Not much of an "affair"...
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2021, 07:56:10 AM »
I feel it's entirely possible to be critical of a persons political career and acknowledge that they have broken barriers and made history. Not one to make heroes or celebrities out of politicians, but even if you see that Biden selecting Kamala was a calculated move, the impact is undeniable.

Biden/Harris weren't my first picks either, but you can't deny how monumental it is to have a mixed race woman as VP in America. Also, it probably doesn't happen at all without the precedent set by Obama's election. Anybody remember the prejudice he had to put up with even after being elected president?

Choosing not to acknowledge the merit they both deserve for their achievements is choosing to ignore this country's deeply rooted history of personal and systemic racism.

This is how i feel, I'm certainly not going to be a member of the K-Hive, but a woman being elected VP is still a big deal.

Also, i don't think this bird character is being a troll, i think he's being contrarian, or he's just a fan of Tulsi, which makes him a crank

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2021, 09:28:49 AM »
Get this. Strangelove just blocked me on Instagram because I commented on their inauguration post. My comment was about censorship of people with different opinions. My point was proven after Strangelove blocked me. You throw yourself out there with political artwork which I think is great. You gotta expect blowback with something that is divisive. Strangelove can't take it. I'm curious who runs their Insta, Sean Cliver or Nick Halkias? Regardless, it's weak whack shit...  :'(
What frauds.

Ps. Dan Drehobl blocked me too for a similar comment, a lot of feagile egos out there

These old guys can be disappointing, skateboarding used to be about freedom and expression. I guess it's morw about conformity.

You literally put a crying emoji or whatever in your post.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2021, 09:31:49 AM »
Also, i don't think this bird character is being a troll, i think he's being contrarian, or he's just a fan of Tulsi, which makes him a crank

No, it's some "I don't see race" bs.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

pleasant pheasant

• Rep: -16
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2021, 10:22:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how would that be a bad thing?
my eyes work but if you base things on race, it's either racism or a condescending paternalism. or resentment politics. if we're all supposed to get along and be equals, at what point do we like, start treating each other like equals?
TL,DR i don't think MLK was bs

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2021, 10:41:11 AM »
It's bad because it's an easy way to ignore systemic racism and centuries of inequality and inequity. And it's a choice that non-white people usually don't have the luxury to make.

Also, invoking MLK is a terrible straw man. He wasn't referenced in this thread, and I certainly didn't call him "bs". I called your argument bs. Besides, your interpretation of what he said is way off. He didn't mean "let's ignore people's skin colour and everything will be a-ok!", which is what you seem to believe.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2021, 11:15:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
my eyes work but if you base things on race, it's either racism or a condescending paternalism. or resentment politics. if we're all supposed to get along and be equals, at what point do we like, start treating each other like equals?

Here's a story for you

I live in a predominantly white area. Super rural place where Black folks most certainly stand out. One of my buddies moved up here to go to school. He's an average looking dude, well built, doesn't dress all that different than me, nothing out of the ordinary as far as tattoos, affiliations, etc. Just a dude whose skin happens to be Black. So, shortly after moving here he asks "hey, where's a good place to go shoot guns?" and I say "Oh, well, I usually just drive to such and such a place, couple hours out of town, down and up these dirt roads out in the country." 9 months later we ended up going out there together and he said "You know, man, thanks for taking me. I can't go out here alone. Bad shit happens to Black men with guns and I'm actually pretty scared of some good old boys rolling up right now." This is an educated, clean cut dude with a legal, registered firearm, shooting at a legal shooting range, in what might be considered the most liberal state in the United States, who is scared for his life of being accosted because he is a Black man.

I'm telling this story because at one point I didn't understand why we, as folks who aren't marginalized by the systems due to the color of our skin, need to see race, regardless of wanting to live in a post-racial world. I've been told by people who aren't white that they need to see Color to know if they're safe (sure, get started on black on black crime). So for us folks with white skin, to assert that there's no need to see race or skin colors is really a privilege based on the fact that our skin isn't something that's stacked against us. Cops aren't generally beating white folks to death for no reason other than having committed a misdemeanor. You know what I'm saying?

There's a huge difference between equality and equity. Equality is based on assumptions that we are all starting from an even playing field. So regarding Equality, on the intrinsic level, from birth, we are all equal as human beings who need the same things to thrive- love, food, water, shelter, sex, respect, support, culture- it's generally given that that's what we need to survive and thrive. Equity takes into consideration that while we are all born with the same basic needs, because systems and power structures (namely government and capitalism), there are Haves and Have Nots, groups of people and members of those groups that are denied many of their basic needs, and that to achieve equity those who are at the bottom the Have Not Pile need to get a boost up to level their playing field.

I think this cartoon makes more sense than what I'm trying to get across
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2021, 01:34:57 PM »
And another kook bites the dust. Anyways, yeah good for a woman to get in there after the last four years of bullshit and evil

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2021, 08:01:31 PM »
companguero, who is nutso?

I was referring to pleasant pheasant

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:23 PM »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2021, 10:47:36 PM »
Expand Quote
companguero, who is nutso?

I was referring to pleasant pheasant
[close]

I guess reading isn't your thing.

Expand Quote
call me nutso
[close]

Expand Quote

OK @Nutso
[close]

Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post. you dont have to reply to me again. ever. You're a real downer with shitty attitude and a sandy vagina.. And you can go fornicate yourself with wire brush.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:57:45 PM by lazer69 »

companguero

• sesquipedalian
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2021, 07:14:25 AM »
@Lazy69 , Woah "guy," "buddy," "fren." that's our Pal you're ad homeninining ...

Ed gave you a succinct well-formated response.

You've made multiple edits , clearly you've had "time to be on here" reading, quoting, and embellishing your words.

Ed can reply all he wants, he actually has stuff to say instead of dropping hollow tangential questions.

"...go fornicate yourself with wire brush." That truly poetic insult reads real sandy, too.

Fall back about arm's length from your screen and re-read your shit then step outside of yourself and notice how harmless your pixels are.
We're basically just a bunch of people in isolation, staring at screens and if you really wanna go astral: imagine the screen display blank and look around at how lonely we are.

I read through your posts because I wanted to get a sense of you so I'll try to offer an olive branch... Nutso's a lost cause, though.

You seem like a decent guy with life experience. You own "1984" , I caught the ref.
You love hiking, dope. Contribute something to the thread.
I highly recommend Rosa's Overlook (pic) - - (map link) near Topanga or try Stough Canyon Nature Center (pic) - - (map link) , that might be closer to your vicinity.
Burbank from above is a great way to appreciate those long blvds that extend west.

You mentioned you got covid from your shitty roommate - dude I feel for you. I spent about 6 years straight inviting some people to live with me because they were friends but eventually each one of them found themselves unable to pay their share. I let them remain until I finally had to consider moving away or find an actual reliable person to split rent with.

and your dad... man I have real sympathy for you. I took a moment to meditate on it. I truly hope you both recover.
I've yet to lose someone close to me and my parents are from his gen, too.   

So, I supplied you with nutso's quotes to support my claim and Ed backed me up on your other question.
If you want to discuss any of that or better yet, your actual opinions on the topic...

mushroom slice

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2021, 08:11:18 AM »
Vice President isn’t very important. No one really remembers any of them. Charles Curtis was the first Native American Vice President from 1929-1933 and no one ever brings him up. I’m just happy Trumps out of the White House. Dude gave me anxiety.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2021, 08:57:53 AM »
I don't think the world will ever forget that Dan Quayle couldn't spell potato.

And President Grant's second VP wrote letters of introductions for either Kropotkin or Bakunin. He introduced one of these prominent Russian anarchists to senators and I think the gov of Mass.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

companguero

• sesquipedalian
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2021, 09:10:44 AM »
Vice President isn’t very important.

Very true.
Quote from: Wiki
John Adams : "My country has in its wisdom contrived for me the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man ... or his imagination contrived or his imagination conceived..."

Franklin D. Roosevelt claimed that the vice presidency "isn't worth a pitcher of warm piss."

Harry Truman (one of FDR's Vice) said that the office was as "useful as a cow's fifth teat".

...Thus my tongue-in-cheek title. Obviously Joe gets center stage but I figure I'd dim the spotlight about 79% to pique interest.

It's those few that make you sit up and take notice. Bush Sr , Gore , Cheney, and Biden come to mind for various reasons especially in terms of how their presidential runs turned out.

This election "had the highest voter turnout in modern history, a projected 161 million Americans voted" yet because of our system we don't get to nominate or elect the Vice.

"The first two vice presidents [were] John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, both of whom gained the office by virtue of being runners-up in presidential contests..."
Aaron Burr was the third and final Vice appointed as runner-up.

Charles Curtis was the first Native American Vice President from 1929-1933 and no one ever brings him up.

I'll bet few knew one of last years independent candidates, Mark Charles "a dual citizen of the US and Navajo Nation". Probably would have seriously considered casting a vote for him.

Thanks for the info/bump and everyone else who chimed in , especially @Alan & @IusedToSkateMore for your coherent support.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:30:25 AM by companguero »

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2021, 11:45:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Here's a story for you

I live in a predominantly white area. Super rural place where Black folks most certainly stand out. One of my buddies moved up here to go to school. He's an average looking dude, well built, doesn't dress all that different than me, nothing out of the ordinary as far as tattoos, affiliations, etc. Just a dude whose skin happens to be Black. So, shortly after moving here he asks "hey, where's a good place to go shoot guns?" and I say "Oh, well, I usually just drive to such and such a place, couple hours out of town, down and up these dirt roads out in the country." 9 months later we ended up going out there together and he said "You know, man, thanks for taking me. I can't go out here alone. Bad shit happens to Black men with guns and I'm actually pretty scared of some good old boys rolling up right now." This is an educated, clean cut dude with a legal, registered firearm, shooting at a legal shooting range, in what might be considered the most liberal state in the United States, who is scared for his life of being accosted because he is a Black man.

I'm telling this story because at one point I didn't understand why we, as folks who aren't marginalized by the systems due to the color of our skin, need to see race, regardless of wanting to live in a post-racial world. I've been told by people who aren't white that they need to see Color to know if they're safe (sure, get started on black on black crime). So for us folks with white skin, to assert that there's no need to see race or skin colors is really a privilege based on the fact that our skin isn't something that's stacked against us. Cops aren't generally beating white folks to death for no reason other than having committed a misdemeanor. You know what I'm saying?

There's a huge difference between equality and equity. Equality is based on assumptions that we are all starting from an even playing field. So regarding Equality, on the intrinsic level, from birth, we are all equal as human beings who need the same things to thrive- love, food, water, shelter, sex, respect, support, culture- it's generally given that that's what we need to survive and thrive. Equity takes into consideration that while we are all born with the same basic needs, because systems and power structures (namely government and capitalism), there are Haves and Have Nots, groups of people and members of those groups that are denied many of their basic needs, and that to achieve equity those who are at the bottom the Have Not Pile need to get a boost up to level their playing field.

I think this cartoon makes more sense than what I'm trying to get across

That cartoon would make more sense if they were watching a soccer game. In baseball if there's no fence in the outfield there are no home runs, and then it's basically softball, not liberation.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2021, 02:51:38 PM »

i said that about kamala [even though she's only a tiny bit black] and her ancestors owned slaves.
What the fuck does this even mean? Only a tiny bit black? And, the vast majority of black Americans have ancestors who were slave owners.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

the natural butch reed

• Rep: -4
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2021, 03:20:08 PM »
Expand Quote

i said that about kamala [even though she's only a tiny bit black] and her ancestors owned slaves.
[close]
What the fuck does this even mean? Only a tiny bit black? And, the vast majority of black Americans have ancestors who were slave owners.
http://kamalaharris.news/2020-08-31-kamala-harris-ancestors-owned-slaves.html

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2021, 03:32:38 PM »
That link...wow. Couldn't have asked for a more trustworthy source.

the natural butch reed

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2021, 03:36:25 PM »
That link...wow. Couldn't have asked for a more trustworthy source.
i don't have a leftwing source but there are several that quote her dad naming the slave owning ancestor.
https://www.westernjournal.com/kamala-harris-ancestors-slave-owners-will-left-cancel/

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2021, 03:56:51 PM »
I wasn't asking for a left wing source. In fact, I wasn't asking for a source at all. I was just commenting on that terrible website. But it is interesting that you associate "trustworthy" with "left wing" and that you can only provide links to these weird marginal far right websites.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:11:26 PM by Alan »

Glurmpz

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2021, 04:09:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Is that cartoon secretly about pants? In the "liberation" slide, the man with pants now has shorts. He's been liberated.

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -347
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2021, 06:03:34 PM »
this thread is incredible
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

the natural butch reed

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2021, 06:21:54 PM »
I wasn't asking for a left wing source. In fact, I wasn't asking for a source at all. I was just commenting on that terrible website. But it is interesting that you associate "trustworthy" with "left wing" and that you can only provide links to these weird marginal far right websites.
i don't at all, i associate you w/ left wing. snopes didn't disprove it and they do their damnedest to tow the line.
that 'equity' cartoon is dumb, you take away the fence, there's no home run.