Author Topic: Awkward Situations at the Skatepark  (Read 55849 times)

elbarto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
Re: Awkward Situations at the Skatepark
« Reply #270 on: June 28, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »
Theres a guys who does skate lessons on the weekends at denver park. Hes not very good at skating. One of his 'lessons' was having a kid ride on two boards stacked on top of each other.

Skrate lesens
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #271 on: June 28, 2021, 01:53:10 PM »
I met this guy at my local skate park that pushed mongo riding regular and switch. When I found out that he was around my skill level, I was trying to tell him that nose slides on square flat bars weren't actually that hard or scary. I told him and my homie to watch and I proceed to eat shit trying one on the square flat bar. Luckily my ego was bruised more than my body on that one.

ohcomeon

• Rep: -3
« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2021, 03:01:44 PM »
Drunk couple in their 40s comes to the park, let me have a go- I tell them they are going to hurt themselves.
They get aggressive, so i say here you go.
The lady gets on, and on her first push she does a wilson.
Procedes to shatter her elbow.

Old dude shows up and asks the 12 year olds if he can take fotos of them. We notice it and confront him, he takes off through the bushes and runs away.

We caught the community service dudes we used to get in the indoorpark from the city smoking crack in the Boiler room.

Redlight district parents showing up with their kids who got sentenced to community service, asking if we want  weed, cocaine, or whores to write down the hours as compleated.

A kid almost dying in the flat of the miniramp after colliding with one of his dumbass buddies.
Kid comes into the office and goes: theres someone lying in the miniramp and he is bleeding from his ear and  is unconscious .
Medics put him in a coma on the spot and barley save his life.
Legal drama after that. Parents tried to sue the park, turns out the kids lied to the cops.
All charges get dropped against the park, kids get in legal trouble for lying.

Back in the day a friend who bladed goes up the vert quarter (4 meters at least) does a air to fakie, in the time he went up the ramp a child on 1 2 3 Fisherprice "skates" crosses the bottom of the Quarter. Friend collides with him. First and last time a saw a helicopter land at the park.

chrisskates808

« Reply #273 on: June 28, 2021, 03:18:10 PM »
idk if awkward is the right word but weird enough. so few people came into the park. wouldn't consider them as a skater. they try to teach each other how to skate when they aren't good. someone said, hey look we are doing bootcamp. lmao

Brguy

« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2021, 07:13:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm too stupid to remember the order in which people are skating the box, so I'm always in those situations where I have to point to someone to signal them to go before me. Usually ends in a stand off where we exchange points from opposite sides of the park 2 or 3 times. Then sometimes they're too nice and insist that I go, but Im out of shape and out of breath so I have to signal AGAIN that its their turn.
[close]

everytime
Or when some dude starts staring at the horizon while everyone is waiting.

chrisskates808

« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2021, 10:25:05 PM »
   This kid who’s maybe 16 or 17, just started skating in the last 2 years, every time he sees me he has to come over and brag about all the new tricks he learned. Also the type of dude who narrates his entire session. Has to announce what he’s about to try, loudly announces why he didn’t land it after every attempt, always screams “did you see that”, plus the worst case of beaming ever. You can’t watch him skate because the attention is like crack to him and soon he’ll be calling your name across the park the entire session to make sure you saw every last sketchy flat ground trick. The straw in the camels back is he tries everyone else’s tricks they’re trying, even if he’s like years away from being able to land them.
    When I first met him, he’d only been skating for like 6 months so I got hyped for him every time he’d go in to painstaking story and detail about the new ollie variations he’d been learning. That was a mistake because he now thinks I’m his skate journal or something. Over time it’s gotten so bad and the stories so repetitive, I now have to say “cool bro” 100x in an increasingly annoyed tone before he finally gets the message. I know he looks up to me and just wants acceptance so I try to give him lots of patience. But I’ve heard the unwarranted stories of how he got in to skating, how he learned to ollie, etc. so many times, dude thinks he’s on the nine club when he talks to people at the park. I don’t like being an asshole but the kids social awareness game is beyond fucked.

For some reason I feel like this is somebody that I would know

Tyrone Slothrop

• Rep: 9
« Reply #276 on: June 28, 2021, 10:44:19 PM »
Had a shitty session at a park after work a few weeks ago. Just did some 5050’s and ollied into some banks while cruising fast, but I was really bummed because I didn’t have the energy to skate for real. There was a pair of 15 or 16 year old girls who looked like they started skating a couple months ago, and a pair of 17-18 year old boys who looked like they started skating days ago. They began discussing how long it takes to learn how to Ollie, and the girls gave the older boys reassurance that it takes about a month to learn, but I heard them say “that guy probably learned in a week though.” I was sitting 15 feet away, winded and pissed off about how I skated. I was the only other person in the park so I was fairly  certain her words were in reference to me. I said and did nothing as I felt the compliment was undeserved. I still feel like a tool for it.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #277 on: June 29, 2021, 04:11:00 AM »
Had a shitty session at a park after work a few weeks ago. Just did some 5050’s and ollied into some banks while cruising fast, but I was really bummed because I didn’t have the energy to skate for real. There was a pair of 15 or 16 year old girls who looked like they started skating a couple months ago, and a pair of 17-18 year old boys who looked like they started skating days ago. They began discussing how long it takes to learn how to Ollie, and the girls gave the older boys reassurance that it takes about a month to learn, but I heard them say “that guy probably learned in a week though.” I was sitting 15 feet away, winded and pissed off about how I skated. I was the only other person in the park so I was fairly  certain her words were in reference to me. I said and did nothing as I felt the compliment was undeserved. I still feel like a tool for it.

^ that's alright. it happens to the best of us. just continue to refer to these gems if you haven't read it already...
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2020/09/10/7-tricks-make-look-better-skating-really/

some of my personal favorite moves:
"Go around and dap everyone up whether you know them or not, this way everyone will think you’re such a spot local you deserve de facto respect."
"stretch alot" & "faking nollie heels"

works every time. good luck out there.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #278 on: June 29, 2021, 04:56:19 AM »
Theres a guys who does skate lessons on the weekends at denver park. Hes not very good at skating. One of his 'lessons' was having a kid ride on two boards stacked on top of each other.
in case he starts hydroplaning on the way to the circus. happened to the teacher

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #279 on: June 29, 2021, 10:55:29 AM »
I live in the "Bible Belt" of Michigan and deal with some pretty conservative religious groups every now and then, but I'd consider myself pretty tolerant and understanding of others religions. However, my buddies and I had the park to ourselves on a Saturday and were approached by some church folk, and it was a pretty painful interaction. The little skatepark is part of a larger public park with a picnic area where we've set up camp and sprawled out under the shade of the gazebo. We'd been blaring Bad Brains, cooking hot dogs on a little grill, drinking mad beers, and just generally letting our hair down and being a bit of a nuisance, which may have attracted their attention.

Anyway, they show up and start offering us Little Ceasers pizza to break the ice and get us talking about God and the afterlife when we were already fully satiated by the burnt dogs and Rolling Rock. Even if we were hungry, we could have spotted the trap a mile away. We were being as civil as possible, which probably ended up making things more awkward because they figured we could be saved. They were asking our names and all kinds of other salesman tactics to win us over but it was such a lost cause lol. One buddy felt compelled to engage in some of their questions about the afterlife, so they're sort of going back and forth asking questions. I really just want to go skate and ignore them, but the rule is no man left behind. They ended up grilling us about heaven and hell for 20, 30 minutes before they gave up. Must have thought we were impressionable teenagers when really we were 3 drunk and shirtless dudes in their late twenties who were not gonna convert to Christianity for a few slices of Little Ceasers.

One of the weirdest parts was that it was two older folks who were desperately trying to sound "with it" and a girl about our age who gave off super-jesus-freak-brainwash vibes. They must have brought her along to appeal to the youngsters but she was almost more alienating than they were.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2021, 11:07:44 AM »
I live in the "Bible Belt" of Michigan and deal with some pretty conservative religious groups every now and then, but I'd consider myself pretty tolerant and understanding of others religions. However, my buddies and I had the park to ourselves on a Saturday and were approached by some church folk, and it was a pretty painful interaction. The little skatepark is part of a larger public park with a picnic area where we've set up camp and sprawled out under the shade of the gazebo. We'd been blaring Bad Brains, cooking hot dogs on a little grill, drinking mad beers, and just generally letting our hair down and being a bit of a nuisance, which may have attracted their attention.

Anyway, they show up and start offering us Little Ceasers pizza to break the ice and get us talking about God and the afterlife when we were already fully satiated by the burnt dogs and Rolling Rock. Even if we were hungry, we could have spotted the trap a mile away. We were being as civil as possible, which probably ended up making things more awkward because they figured we could be saved. They were asking our names and all kinds of other salesman tactics to win us over but it was such a lost cause lol. One buddy felt compelled to engage in some of their questions about the afterlife, so they're sort of going back and forth asking questions. I really just want to go skate and ignore them, but the rule is no man left behind. They ended up grilling us about heaven and hell for 20, 30 minutes before they gave up. Must have thought we were impressionable teenagers when really we were 3 drunk and shirtless dudes in their late twenties who were not gonna convert to Christianity for a few slices of Little Ceasers.

One of the weirdest parts was that it was two older folks who were desperately trying to sound "with it" and a girl about our age who gave off super-jesus-freak-brainwash vibes. They must have brought her along to appeal to the youngsters but she was almost more alienating than they were.

A few years ago I was skating Prospect by myself and a couple Christian missionaries wandered into the park and sorta cornered me asking me if I had any "pain in my life". Just to make conversation I mentioned I had a bad ankle and they asked if they could pray for me. I reluctantly agreed and sure enough, they both got on their knees, grabbed my ankle and did a prayer. Afterward there was an awkward silence and they just go "well? Try it out!".

It still hurt.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2021, 11:15:50 AM »
A few years ago I was skating Prospect by myself and a couple Christian missionaries wandered into the park and sorta cornered me asking me if I had any "pain in my life". Just to make conversation I mentioned I had a bad ankle and they asked if they could pray for me. I reluctantly agreed and sure enough, they both got on their knees, grabbed my ankle and did a prayer. Afterward there was an awkward silence and they just go "well? Try it out!".

It still hurt.

God is a lie!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

dofrenzy

« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »

It still hurt.

I’ve been saving my 100th post for something super important.  This is it!  LOL!!!!  EDIT - oops I miscounted but in my mind THIS was my 100th post and I’ll never forget it.

viciousdingo

• Rep: 4
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2021, 03:44:28 PM »
Was skating the local with my buddy on Sunday, it was super nice out and only two other dudes were at the park. They started talking to us and offered us beers, we all start skating the mini together and get a good sesh going having a lovely time. Ten min later a car full of teens in joggers and galaxy print gear rolls up and my homie gives me the look like fuck dude this can't be good. One of the teens gets up on the deck, puts in some wireless headphones, cracks a monster, and gets to vaping. Up close I realize this is no teen but a mid 20's man. Definitely brought on a weird fucking vibe when I realized that dude rolled up to the park with teenagers. Dude watches us skate for a bit while singing along to some trap music. The bro tells us we need to lean into the ramp more and that we aren't locking into our grinds right. I'm admittedly kinda peeved by this so I decide to roll in and do my flashiest shit out of spite. I did a few lofty front side airs and a nice back smith so I'm feeling pretty good as I get back up on the deck. Dude doesn't say anything and drops in only to bail a rock to fakie and murmur some shit to himself. Dude gets back on the deck and snakes my homie only to bail another rock to fakie, showing no signs of committing to it and exclaims that his headphones almost fell out. The two homies who gave us beer have left at this point and the vibe is pretty somber/unpleasant. I can see my homie is fuming and he drops in aggro asf stomping as hard as possible and walks out of a front 50. Ear bud man reiterates his previous point that we aren't leaning right and gives us a nice demonstration on his unscathed toy machine complete of how we should lean. Neither of us say anything and dude drops in and flings his board out of the ramp trying to backside pivot. Dude comes back up to the deck and continues to talk about how to lean into a 50. I'm laughing at this point but I could tell my homie did not find dude to be very funny so we go skate the ledge for the rest of the sesh while dude keeps flailing his shit with no intention or commitment. The other jogger teens have been sitting at the picnic table looking at their phones for the entirety of the sesh. Now I know how to lean into my 50's properly 😎 but my homie is still big chuffed about the bro's advice. Still feel very weird about a dude my age rolling up to the park with teenagers

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #284 on: June 29, 2021, 07:51:36 PM »
   This kid who’s maybe 16 or 17, just started skating in the last 2 years, every time he sees me he has to come over and brag about all the new tricks he learned. Also the type of dude who narrates his entire session. Has to announce what he’s about to try, loudly announces why he didn’t land it after every attempt, always screams “did you see that”, plus the worst case of beaming ever. You can’t watch him skate because the attention is like crack to him and soon he’ll be calling your name across the park the entire session to make sure you saw every last sketchy flat ground trick. The straw in the camels back is he tries everyone else’s tricks they’re trying, even if he’s like years away from being able to land them.
    When I first met him, he’d only been skating for like 6 months so I got hyped for him every time he’d go in to painstaking story and detail about the new ollie variations he’d been learning. That was a mistake because he now thinks I’m his skate journal or something. Over time it’s gotten so bad and the stories so repetitive, I now have to say “cool bro” 100x in an increasingly annoyed tone before he finally gets the message. I know he looks up to me and just wants acceptance so I try to give him lots of patience. But I’ve heard the unwarranted stories of how he got in to skating, how he learned to ollie, etc. so many times, dude thinks he’s on the nine club when he talks to people at the park. I don’t like being an asshole but the kids social awareness game is beyond fucked.

I knew a kid kind of like this. He would show me his varial flip, then started getting better and kickflipped down the 5 and I filmed it. Over the years he would keep coming back and I would film videos of him since he was fairly consistent. Only thing was he was a major showoff, which I understand because skateboarding was the only thing he had, but he would bring people to the park that never touched a board in their life just to show off to them. He ended up living with another skater that was with an insane chick and both have been on and off drugs for the past couple of years. I miss the dude and wish he'll skate again but right now his life's in a pretty bad spot.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1439
« Reply #285 on: June 30, 2021, 01:17:33 PM »
Some really great stories in this past page.

I went with one of my homies to the ocean beach skatepark on Monday and I'm one of those annoying motherfuckers that loves to talk with people in the lineup and be friendly. Lot of casual people at the park, lots of parents with their kids, and the creature dudes who like to skate there pretty regularly.A dad is there with his son/daughter/ambiguous looking child who is throwing a fit about his dad not taking every run with him. Dad wants to take some runs alone and not sit on this egg that hasn't fully hatched at age 12 or so and the kid is doing the angry cry. Dad is trying to explain to kid that it's ok that he isn't the best at skating yet but the kid is yelling at his patient dad that he has to be with him on every roll in he wants to do. I rolled up and tried to tell the kid that i wasn't very good for a long time and it's ok to make mistakes at the park. Kid still is having an angry cry and the dad takes them home. I felt bad for this clearly patient father who loves skating and wants to share it with his kid, but didn't get to really enjoy his session because the kid was having a meltdown

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #286 on: June 30, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »
When you drop in just as your friend on the platform starts saying something to you because none of you were paying attention to what the other was just about to do. Can also be used to semi-smoothly navigate out of the scope of annoying people on purpose.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #287 on: June 30, 2021, 07:39:00 PM »
There’s this corny dude at the park that’s kind of good, but has wack style and dresses like a goof.  Hometown hero, king of the park, kinda guy.  I think he has some kind of problem with me because he kind of smirks at me when I say what’s up and he has a real subtle way of riding right behind me and one-upping me on whatever trick I just missed. 

Anyway, today I missed a frontside flip on flat, and sure enough this dude creeps by right behind me and tries a frontside flip, but lands primo and completely bodies himself.  He didn’t follow me again after that. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

valuecommonsense

• Rep: -69
« Reply #288 on: June 30, 2021, 11:46:47 PM »
There’s this corny dude at the park that’s kind of good, but has wack style and dresses like a goof.  Hometown hero, king of the park, kinda guy.  I think he has some kind of problem with me because he kind of smirks at me when I say what’s up and he has a real subtle way of riding right behind me and one-upping me on whatever trick I just missed. 

Anyway, today I missed a frontside flip on flat, and sure enough this dude creeps by right behind me and tries a frontside flip, but lands primo and completely bodies himself.  He didn’t follow me again after that.

He will be back and in greater numbers.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #289 on: June 30, 2021, 11:53:42 PM »

Damn I also have a guy like that at my local park. He's several generations younger and so when he was a grom I naturally taught him most of the shit he currently does because he used to be a little kid, except despite now being well into his 20's he's the type of dude who never outgrew his teenage insecurities, and now he keeps trying my tricks after me too; that's been going on for a few years, for a while I thought it was just me and then another good friend of mine also took notice of his behavior, and since then that friend has been in on the joke. So now, when the two are present on the session, a few times I've been telling my friend 'look', then doing a certain trick I know the kid can also do (usually an annoying one), subsequently to which we would both proceed to watch him try the exact same trick I just did over and over for ten minutes until he gets a shitty one before beaming around for potential validation (or he notices me try something else that he can do). It's not even trolling at this point because it's natural - it just happens and never fails, I'm barely just manipulating the odds.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #290 on: July 01, 2021, 01:05:41 AM »
i would just screech to a halt in front of him when hes tailgating and say dude its been 10 years stop biting my shit thanks

nocomplysaresick

• Rep: 0
« Reply #291 on: July 01, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm too stupid to remember the order in which people are skating the box, so I'm always in those situations where I have to point to someone to signal them to go before me. Usually ends in a stand off where we exchange points from opposite sides of the park 2 or 3 times. Then sometimes they're too nice and insist that I go, but Im out of shape and out of breath so I have to signal AGAIN that its their turn.
[close]

everytime
[close]
Or when some dude starts staring at the horizon while everyone is waiting.

haha that too for sure

humanflies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #292 on: July 01, 2021, 04:32:38 PM »
I once picked up a flat bar and balanced it on my shoulder to move it to the other end of the park, and decided to do so on my board. Once rolling, I found myself way off balance, and had to pay a lot more attention to my foot placement than usual. I looked down for one second and suddenly felt the flat bar knocked off my shoulder. One end of it had hit some other local dude's head as I was rolling. He did not skate the flat bar that day.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2021, 02:08:34 PM »

whenever someone like this approaches me with the Christian recruitment tactics i just stop them immediately and say "i'm already saved!"

works every time.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2021, 02:08:59 PM »
peaking around children

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2021, 04:39:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He will be back and in greater numbers.

Try that on my legion of doom

norcalnobody

« Reply #296 on: August 02, 2021, 03:38:52 PM »

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1197
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #297 on: August 02, 2021, 03:41:05 PM »

giving me real anthony shetler vibes norcalnobody

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #298 on: August 02, 2021, 09:52:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

whenever someone like this approaches me with the Christian recruitment tactics i just stop them immediately and say "i'm already saved!"

works every time.

After my first foray into adulthood failed, I moved back in with the parents for a time. My room was right near the front door and one Saturday I woke up late to someone knocking. It was a Jesus freak, and I was too sleepy to figure a way out of it and he talked at me for maybe 15 minutes. As he was leaving he asked if it was alright that he visit me again. I mumbled sure.

My work schedule changed and I started working every Saturday, but my parents said without fail that dude came every Saturday and asked to speak with me. For months.

pamier

• Rep: 15
« Reply #299 on: August 03, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »
My friend texts me to come to the skatepark dude never skated but I’m like fuck it let’s teach him in the hockey rink behind the park. I pull up the mfer has a dslr and a tripod just starts filming randoms and tells me it’s for a school project lmfao when he asked some dude for a interview and he said “really? Really? No.” Highly awkward but i did piss on his Hyundai afterwards and call him stinky so we’re even ig.
edit: pissed on the dudes who declined the interviews car. I’m not cockbag lol