Author Topic: Washington DC / NOVA  (Read 624 times)

white guy in a durag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
Washington DC / NOVA
« on: February 04, 2021, 04:23:20 PM »
Gonna be moving to Tysons for work next week; what shops, spots, and parks should I know about?

Also any pals with a jessup ultra plug? I only have mob right now and I don't think that's gonna mix with the climate.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
Re: Washington DC / NOVA
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 09:37:39 AM »
Crushed in DC is a great shop, most of my favorites in NOVA closed but Fairfax Surf Shop is still around. Alpine Ski Shop also carries some skate shit. I never liked either one much but hey it's something. For NOVA parks Wakefield was always my go-to growing up, Powhattan Springs skatepark in Arlington is solid. Duke Street park sucks but it's there. There are a couple further out too, like Lake Fairfax park in Reston. I haven't been up on spots around there in a while but the locals at wakefield/powhattan could help you out for sure. For parks in DC there's the Maloof park near RFK stadium, what's left of the bridge spot DIY in capitol hill (not much unfortunately), then some in Maryland like Takoma Park, Woodside, and Mount Ranier all in Maryland. There's also a little bowl behind Union Market. For street spots like obviously Pulaski, there's a bunch clustered around there downtown. Malcolm X park fountains, Welfare banks, Meade memorial, Archives ledges, United Transportation Union curb...there's a ton. Some more of a bust than others obviously.

Also I've never had a problem with mob even in the humid ass summer, maybe don't grip your board outside though if you can avoid it.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

trash

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 10:00:49 AM »
Dog I'd strongly recommend not living in Tysons, it is a mess of luxury high rises built around a mall. There's no skate (or social) scene. If you're working there, you can easily live in Arlington or DC and take the metro in.

Fairfax Surf Shop is lame as hell but it does exist if you need gear quick and don't want to metro into DC. Embark in Frederick is my preferred shop here but it can be a long drive.

Lake Fairfax, Arlington, and Leesburg are IMO the three best parks in the area. There's a new one being built just west of Dulles airport that looks promising.

PM me if you have any questions

Switchpopshuvit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:17:05 AM »
Gonna be moving to Tysons for work next week; what shops, spots, and parks should I know about?

Also any pals with a jessup ultra plug? I only have mob right now and I don't think that's gonna mix with the climate.

For spots right near you, you got a real nice brick volcano that’s been skated for years, in the heart of Tysons. You also got a decent parking garage underneath Nordstrom rack I would go to after work back when we were in the office. You can get a couple hours there depending on which security guard is doing the rounds. Plenty of stair sets and crusty ledges around, but not the most conventional.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -483
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »
Grew up in nova there’s a lot of good crusty spots. PM and I’ll hook you up with my buddy who lives out there’s still. That Tysons volcano is super fun. I ended up staying in the hotel across the street when I went home for the holidays a few years back and got my freezing crust spot session . If you’re staying right in Tysons just look for the Walmart and follow the street back and it’s on your left.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 02:45:16 PM »
Thanks lads

Yeah, I don't have any desire to live in tysons, but the job is really short notice and they want to relocate me again pretty quick, so I'm gonna be in company housing.

I'll be sending some pms when I get settled in and am ready to skate.

DCChrisBryant

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 01:36:37 AM »
There's also a newer park on the W&O trail, near Tyson's. In DC we've also got Trinadad Recreation Center. I think that they're both interesting municipal facilities, geared for a certain crowd...(no vert 😭.)

FredGallsBallz

• Rep: -7
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »
Where are people skating in Bethesda, MD these days? The downtown has so many new buildings and plazas, but I don’t see many skaters when walking around. Are any of the garages getting hit up?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 07:59:13 AM »
There's also a newer park on the W&O trail, near Tyson's. In DC we've also got Trinadad Recreation Center. I think that they're both interesting municipal facilities, geared for a certain crowd...(no vert 😭.)
I skate maloof all the time and had no idea there was another park 10 mins away hah
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 03:38:31 PM by Esmith5488 »