Author Topic: Last Resort AB - The Thread.  (Read 178944 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Last Resort AB - The Thread.
« Reply #1380 on: May 29, 2023, 06:40:48 PM »
I like their team and I like Polar, but I really can't get behind LR. Had a pair of suede VM001s and they were honestly one of the worst pair of skate shoes I've ever owned. Sole was barely staying glued and like clear coat was flaking off, and the insole was so so so bad (I know they have insoles now), along with the fit and finish being suspect. For the prices they sell for I was massively underwhelmed.

Also, in what context do you wear a loafer with a vulc shoe? a bit weird to me for a shoe brand that prides itself on simplicity and basic silhouettes to do a gimmicky, ornamental loafer mashup. idk

/rant. Def buy them if you like them, but I can't get into them. I respect a skater-owned brand, but even still I think I'd rather just skate some emericas or something if I wanted a simple shoe

100% agree. I want to like the shoes but I just can't, they're just not worth the money.

As for the loafers, I assume it's more of a lifestyle shoe instead of a skate shoe (but it's still skateable). I'm interested in it for that, but I assume they're going to use the same sole which I hate.

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 218
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1381 on: May 29, 2023, 09:07:41 PM »
I skated a few pairs of VM001 before and liked them but now that I've been on some better structured cupsoles, I really dont see going back. I put my old LR highs on foot and they felt very flimsy compared to something like 440s.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #1382 on: May 29, 2023, 09:56:01 PM »
i'm in a couple of months of skating my vm001 suedes in mustard and i have zero complaints so far.
the sole and the suede both hold up really well, the grip and flick both are still very good.
my only complaint is the sizing issue which they seem to be taking care of and maybe a tad bit the weak heel lock.
but i also bought mine for 40 bucks, so there's that. i would definitely buy them again, especially for this nice price.

I get the impression that the people complaining don't skate thin vulcs very often. The fundamental idea isn't "be indestructible foot pillows" like some people seem to be upset about them not being...it's to have a shoe with good boardfeel that skates well and looks good and I think LRs definitely do that and do it pretty well. The 3 pairs I've had have all had great flick and held up really well, and not just for a vulc. They take a while to break in because the suede is thick but once they do they're comfortable enough that I wear a pair to work every day and have been doing so for 3 months. They replaced numeric 272s for me and I prefer the LRABs in every area except stock insole, but I replace those in every shoe anyways.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #1383 on: May 29, 2023, 10:09:04 PM »
*unless you asked for the cupsole
Haha yup

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1384 on: May 30, 2023, 08:54:32 AM »
Expand Quote
i'm in a couple of months of skating my vm001 suedes in mustard and i have zero complaints so far.
the sole and the suede both hold up really well, the grip and flick both are still very good.
my only complaint is the sizing issue which they seem to be taking care of and maybe a tad bit the weak heel lock.
but i also bought mine for 40 bucks, so there's that. i would definitely buy them again, especially for this nice price.
[close]

I get the impression that the people complaining don't skate thin vulcs very often. The fundamental idea isn't "be indestructible foot pillows" like some people seem to be upset about them not being...it's to have a shoe with good boardfeel that skates well and looks good and I think LRs definitely do that and do it pretty well. The 3 pairs I've had have all had great flick and held up really well, and not just for a vulc. They take a while to break in because the suede is thick but once they do they're comfortable enough that I wear a pair to work every day and have been doing so for 3 months. They replaced numeric 272s for me and I prefer the LRABs in every area except stock insole, but I replace those in every shoe anyways.

This is about right, some of my friends are surprised I daily wear LRABs without swapping the insoles, but coming from a lifetime of Vans Authentics they're actually fairly comfortable. If I skate a pair, I usually swap in a Vans Ultracush insole but I'm excited to try the new LRAB Cloudcush (Just waiting for a good colorway).

I just bought some DC Kalis Vulcs and i was blown away that they're SIGNIFICANTLY thinner than my LRABs, both in the sole and in the toe. Really surprised me, you feel everything. Will probably do an insole swap in them at some point.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #1385 on: May 30, 2023, 11:10:59 AM »
Finally, the skate creeper we've all been waiting for since they stopped making Boulala's shoe.

beecee

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1386 on: May 31, 2023, 09:06:29 AM »
I just want a cupsole man

heel lock on these look insane lmaoooo

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #1387 on: May 31, 2023, 09:29:50 AM »
not sure if brought up but i picked up a pair of the Milic's and realized the size 12 actually fits a bit better than the VM001. anyone notice a slight difference with these? normally i would get a size 11 or 11.5 but not a lot of extra toe room here compared to the VM001 12

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1388 on: May 31, 2023, 10:02:07 AM »
not sure if brought up but i picked up a pair of the Milic's and realized the size 12 actually fits a bit better than the VM001. anyone notice a slight difference with these? normally i would get a size 11 or 11.5 but not a lot of extra toe room here compared to the VM001 12
It's because the insole is thicker. The actual shoe should fit around the same as the vm001

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #1389 on: May 31, 2023, 10:33:25 AM »
Expand Quote
I just want a cupsole man
[close]

heel lock on these look insane lmaoooo
I could rock with these.

Jacorpes

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1390 on: June 01, 2023, 01:02:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Absolutely. The way I see it there's a slider with "Big chunky protective cup sole" at one end and "Thin vulc with a ton of boardfeel" at the other. You can't have one without sacrificing the other and Last Resort have basically gone off the edge of the chart in the "Thin vulc" direction so they're obviously not for everyone. Personally, I have a way better time skating a thin shoe because I'm more consistent and a lot more confident that I'm actually going to land what I'm trying, whereas with a chunky shoe everything is a little less predictable and I eat shit way more often. It's the equivalent of me getting a pair of dunks and being upset that they don't have enough boardfeel.

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1391 on: June 04, 2023, 03:08:13 AM »

pops

• Rep: 218
« Reply #1392 on: June 04, 2023, 05:20:47 AM »
My goodness, those look kinda ugly to me. Where the heck should my toes fit in those? ;D

IpathCats

« Reply #1393 on: June 04, 2023, 05:54:39 AM »
Heel lock looks promising

But man those things are ugly.

I get they're doing the whole plain look and all, but I'm really just not a fan.

I may still try them out of curiosity and want to support a cool company.

Really hope they make another cup

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1394 on: June 04, 2023, 06:24:16 AM »
Yeah for me the proportions look way off, I was looking forward to see what they did for the cupsole, but that’s just not for me

beecee

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1395 on: June 04, 2023, 10:41:00 AM »
shoulda just done a vm001 with that cupsole tbh

IpathCats

« Reply #1396 on: June 04, 2023, 10:46:14 AM »

Yea, I kinda agree.

And the added material around the heel

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #1397 on: June 04, 2023, 11:07:50 AM »

Definitely.
Toe area on this is bizarre looking. 
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #1398 on: June 04, 2023, 03:00:43 PM »

100%

Anyway I think they will look miles better with a full suede option in the same colour. Also no white outsole on the first drop is kinda weird...

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #1399 on: June 04, 2023, 03:07:36 PM »
Not really feeling the cups. They remind me of Duffs but worse. I agree they would probably look a lot better in all suede.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1400 on: June 04, 2023, 04:44:32 PM »
I think y'all are being quite harsh on the cups, it's not like the toe on the vulcs is any better!
If they bring out the all blacks in vegan, I'll probably cop, but I'd also like to know a bit more about the construction of the cupsole itself

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1401 on: June 04, 2023, 04:53:29 PM »
The way the upper attaches to the sole looks pretty bad, seems cheap even.  My gut is that I don’t like them but maybe they look better on foot.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1402 on: June 04, 2023, 05:27:19 PM »
I’m excited for the cups but the colorways lately are killing me. First the milic shoes and now these three. Give me something I can wear…

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #1403 on: June 04, 2023, 06:31:16 PM »
kinda airwalkish? at least the green colorway?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1404 on: June 04, 2023, 06:40:07 PM »
yeah, enigma vibes for sure!
The shape/ silhouette is very reminiscent of the Etnies intercity imho

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1405 on: June 04, 2023, 06:55:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah, enigma vibes for sure!
The shape/ silhouette is very reminiscent of the Etnies intercity imho
Yes pretty sure it's the same first colours as the og enigma (but with suede and leather reversed) and very similar looking sole. The toe is a bit similar to Tony hawk's first Airwalk model (which itself is similar to the enigma just lower) so maybe they had Airwalk on the mind when designing
https://www.instagram.com/p/jDbD-vjA9K/?igshid=NjZiM2M3MzIxNA==
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 07:04:34 PM by Mean salto »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1406 on: June 04, 2023, 07:44:40 PM »
Man those cups are so ugly. Legit Walmart shoes look better.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1407 on: June 04, 2023, 08:03:17 PM »

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #1408 on: June 04, 2023, 10:29:48 PM »
I really want to like these....

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1409 on: June 05, 2023, 05:36:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is about right, some of my friends are surprised I daily wear LRABs without swapping the insoles, but coming from a lifetime of Vans Authentics they're actually fairly comfortable. If I skate a pair, I usually swap in a Vans Ultracush insole but I'm excited to try the new LRAB Cloudcush (Just waiting for a good colorway).

I just bought some DC Kalis Vulcs and i was blown away that they're SIGNIFICANTLY thinner than my LRABs, both in the sole and in the toe. Really surprised me, you feel everything. Will probably do an insole swap in them at some point.

i’m not into polar/pontus everything, it’s been a bit much over the last 10 years.
but i really like the logo, and the lack of branding. the shoes tend to look nice.
i have the 3’s, and i’ve never skated them, soles started to pucker and separate from the upper, after i had to (unexpectedly) walk/jog almost 10 miles in them. the shoes are still functional and comfortable.
i’ll most get another pair of their shoes, they go with what i wear (501s, t shirt), and look age appropriate, or rather i don’t feel like i look like i’m trying to dress overly youthful.

those cups are different, and i’ll take it. i’m tired of the options we get, these are something new.
i too have concerns about the construction, and would prefer vegan.but i’ll give those a try when possible