Author Topic: Last Resort AB - The Thread.  (Read 183087 times)

doublesteveburger

Re: Last Resort AB - The Thread.
« Reply #1200 on: January 11, 2023, 09:06:36 AM »
clearly tom you have not bowled a perfect game

LiterallyRyan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1201 on: January 11, 2023, 02:26:08 PM »
i'd buy some cause i like supporting smaller companies but damn them shits are ugly as a mf, look like some glorified bowling shoes

The vm003 reminds me a bit of th Draven Daune Peters shoes, dragsters I think they were called. They looked like bowling shoes, clown shoes and teddy boy Keepers rolled into one and sold by Vision Street Wear.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1202 on: January 14, 2023, 02:31:34 AM »
I'm on my second pair only because I had the last pair replaced on warranty due to canvas tearing in odd places. The distro sent me a suede pair and I can't be bothered dealing with them again to get canvas. The quality is only slightly better and the shoes have bagged out in only five days of casual walking here and there. I feel like people are forcing these shoes to be good. The presentation and clean look is there and that's about all.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #1203 on: January 14, 2023, 03:18:39 AM »
wanted to try some for a long time and now used the sale opportunity to get some mustard suede vm001 and some white suede vm001. i am really curious how they skate and how i will like them. i've been on various nike sb models in the last five years plus such as koston2 and 3, allcourts, bruins, gt blazers so some switching up is cool and i wonder how they compare.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 09:19:15 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

Dummklaus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1204 on: January 14, 2023, 03:40:41 AM »
one of the more blatantly antisemitic shirts is on sale too:

https://www.lastresortab.com/collections/winter-sale/products/lotties-tee-white-1

really like the way the shoes skate, but that shirt speaks volumes  :(

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1205 on: January 14, 2023, 03:45:42 AM »
Aren't all of Mike's drawings like that? Does that mean baker is also antisemitic?

I mean I'm not saying they are or aren't but if everyone who uses his art is antisemitic then there's are a lot of brands who are guilty of it, not just LRAB.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #1206 on: January 14, 2023, 05:04:09 AM »
Aren't all of Mike's drawings like that? Does that mean baker is also antisemitic?

I mean I'm not saying they are or aren't but if everyone who uses his art is antisemitic then there's are a lot of brands who are guilty of it, not just LRAB.

Why is this t shirt antisemitic?

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1207 on: January 14, 2023, 05:17:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Why is this t shirt antisemitic?

I don't think it is. Post above seems to think it is.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 05:31:01 AM by Argyle »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1208 on: January 14, 2023, 05:56:44 AM »
I don’t think the drawing is anti semetic but it does look like the old WWII anti semetic propaganda posters google them. It’s usually just a huge pointy nose like that. Google WWII anti semetic propaganda and a lot of charactures like that will pop up.

After thought edit. I would say this is about anti-semetic as the Indy cross is pro nazi/racist. Could be interpreted that way but I don’t think the goal of either  was to be malicious to anyone. But treads a fine line. If you consider one the other is aswell. I wouldn’t wear either in public. Because I don’t want to offend someone or someone get the wrong idea of me and think I’m okay or side with racist images
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 06:22:11 AM by Murge »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1209 on: January 14, 2023, 07:28:52 AM »
I'm on my second pair only because I had the last pair replaced on warranty due to canvas tearing in odd places. The distro sent me a suede pair and I can't be bothered dealing with them again to get canvas. The quality is only slightly better and the shoes have bagged out in only five days of casual walking here and there. I feel like people are forcing these shoes to be good. The presentation and clean look is there and that's about all.

That’s a bummer for you but no one is forcing anything. I’ve been skating for thirty years and am on my sixth pair for skating and third for chilling and they’re far and wide the most comfortable and durable skate shoes I’ve ever owned aside from maybe like, the OG leather accel’s in ‘03, and even that may be nostalgia.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Dummklaus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1210 on: January 14, 2023, 07:35:07 AM »
while the shirt itself might not be antisemitic, the imagery it uses sure is. you can read up on stereotypical depictions of jews here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_Jews#Nose

i don't know if it is meant to be interpreted that way, but to me the usage of antisemitic stereotypes seems to be pretty obvious here. anybody who wants to wear something like that should know what it represents and/or might be interpreted as by others (same with iron cross logos)

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1211 on: January 14, 2023, 07:46:52 AM »
Wouldn’t be caught dead in that shirt.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1212 on: January 14, 2023, 08:13:03 AM »
Not trying to gaslight or anything, but Mike Gigliotti is Jewish. That was the first thing he said when people were upset about Two Felons being included on that skateshop shirt/list thing that he made a few years ago. So while the art may be reminiscent of WWII propaganda I’m fairly certain there was no intent of it being antisemitic.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1213 on: January 14, 2023, 12:43:34 PM »
Not trying to gaslight or anything, but Mike Gigliotti is Jewish. That was the first thing he said when people were upset about Two Felons being included on that skateshop shirt/list thing that he made a few years ago. So while the art may be reminiscent of WWII propaganda I’m fairly certain there was no intent of it being antisemitic.

Yeah. I’m sure it wasn’t meant that way but when you’re out and about in your daily life no one’s gonna ask you if Mike lottie himself is Jewish. They’re just gonna assume your anti semetic.  I’m not arguing with what you’re saying just saying if someone wears that shirt every Tom dick and Harry out in the world isn’t gonna care about if lottie is  Jewish. They’re just gonna assume you are an anti semite.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #1214 on: January 14, 2023, 08:03:27 PM »
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 163
« Reply #1215 on: January 14, 2023, 10:26:35 PM »
one of the more blatantly antisemitic shirts is on sale too:

https://www.lastresortab.com/collections/winter-sale/products/lotties-tee-white-1

really like the way the shoes skate, but that shirt speaks volumes  :(

Just seems like Robert Crumb style art to me.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1216 on: January 14, 2023, 10:48:04 PM »
I had the exact same reaction when I was the short when it first came out- very reminiscent of Nazi propaganda.
For me, unless you know the details about the ethnicity of the artist, it looks way too close, and easily mistaken for Jewish stereotypes.

We live in an era where fascism is on the rise, and public figures are talking about ‘going deathcon 5’ on Jews. This is not the time for ambivalent, easily midtaken imagery.

Should be done a lot better.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1217 on: January 15, 2023, 05:00:47 AM »
big yikes about that shirt.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: January 15, 2023, 06:55:50 AM »
I mean it's just a draw of a man with a big nose. There's no context or éléments about his religion or origins that would make it antisemitic. For me it's like saying the simpsons is antisemitic because of how Montgomery Burns is drawn.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1219 on: January 15, 2023, 07:30:48 AM »
I mean it's just a draw of a man with a big nose. There's no context or éléments about his religion or origins that would make it antisemitic. For me it's like saying the simpsons is antisemitic because of how Montgomery Burns is drawn.

i guess it depends a bit on where you live and how much history there is with stuff like this. in my country the apparence of a hooknosed scheming and kniving figure was the traditional anti semitic depiction of a jew.

i find it at least very ambiguos, but overall very sus to put that shirt out, especially as a european company. there's no way no one in the management didn't think about it twice. it must have been a calculated move. it's nearly impossible they are unaware of the fact this at least might be seen as a riff on antisemitic cliches.

even if they are not anti-semitic it's still a fucked up and tasteless business move to bring out a shirt like this.

monty burns has a long nose, but per series lore he's definitely not jewish. the series provides enough context to make that clear. at one point it's insinuated he might even have collaborated with nazis or was part of the ss at one point. there's much more to drive the point home he's absolutely clearly not jewish, but this is not a simpsons lore thread. the point is the simpsons provides plenty context to figure it out. without context like this like with the lrab shirt i'm left wondering who the hooknosed guy represents. historically there are only so many groups that were depicted like that and likened to the devil or demons.

to me this shirt borderlines on dogwhisteling to antisemites. i think it's really fucked up. i wouldn't want to be caught dead in it tbh.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #1220 on: January 15, 2023, 07:47:13 AM »
What if you took the devil and pitchfork off the shirt?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: January 15, 2023, 09:27:41 AM »

it would still look like the malicious caricature of a jew to me as in how they were done around here around 100 years ago. i guess that sentiment also comes down to history of the country you grew up in and how taboo these things are in your respective country nowadays. i would be surprised if any shop is going to sell this in my country tbh. but you never know, some people are very tone deaf.

mike lotties might be jewish, but imagine someone asking you about this shirt you're wearing and you're going on a 10 min "akshually, mike lotties is jewish and a well respected artist bla bla" rant. that's absolutely not weird.

i always liked what mike has done and i respect lrabs hustle, but this is major l for both in my book. stuff like this doesn't just get greenlit. so much history in middle and northern europe when it comes to that stuff should have rang someone's alarm bell. the intention is not so much the problem. if mike didn't want to make a stereotypic depiction of a jew he still ended up with one that was put into a graphical context sort of equating it to the devil. or rather vice versa. even if mike just wanted to draw a random bureaucrat and ended up using anti semitic characteristics by coincidence at some point he should have thought "whoops, that's a bit close to some hot cliches...".

i don't necessarily think mike or lrab are rabid antisemites, but them having no regard for this cultural taboo and riffing on these stereotypes to sell shirts that only serve as tasteless billboards for their brand to sell more and also building your brand on imagery such as this this early in your inception is fucking wack. i don't know if this is because pontus nearly pees his pants giggling when he looks through old world catalogs and sees shit like the napping negro graphic and then desperately wants to edge or troll the shit out of his fans and see how far they go along with him.

i promise i'm done ranting now, but i want to close off with another question to discuss:

in the eyes of all you guys who say it's just a random dude, do you think this graphic means something at all or not? if it is some sort of totally not anti-semitic joke maybe you can explain it.   

thehogsniper

• Rep: 50
« Reply #1222 on: January 15, 2023, 10:39:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it would still look like the malicious caricature of a jew to me as in how they were done around here around 100 years ago. i guess that sentiment also comes down to history of the country you grew up in and how taboo these things are in your respective country nowadays. i would be surprised if any shop is going to sell this in my country tbh. but you never know, some people are very tone deaf.

mike lotties might be jewish, but imagine someone asking you about this shirt you're wearing and you're going on a 10 min "akshually, mike lotties is jewish and a well respected artist bla bla" rant. that's absolutely not weird.

i always liked what mike has done and i respect lrabs hustle, but this is major l for both in my book. stuff like this doesn't just get greenlit. so much history in middle and northern europe when it comes to that stuff should have rang someone's alarm bell. the intention is not so much the problem. if mike didn't want to make a stereotypic depiction of a jew he still ended up with one that was put into a graphical context sort of equating it to the devil. or rather vice versa. even if mike just wanted to draw a random bureaucrat and ended up using anti semitic characteristics by coincidence at some point he should have thought "whoops, that's a bit close to some hot cliches...".

i don't necessarily think mike or lrab are rabid antisemites, but them having no regard for this cultural taboo and riffing on these stereotypes to sell shirts that only serve as tasteless billboards for their brand to sell more and also building your brand on imagery such as this this early in your inception is fucking wack. i don't know if this is because pontus nearly pees his pants giggling when he looks through old world catalogs and sees shit like the napping negro graphic and then desperately wants to edge or troll the shit out of his fans and see how far they go along with him.

i promise i'm done ranting now, but i want to close off with another question to discuss:

in the eyes of all you guys who say it's just a random dude, do you think this graphic means something at all or not? if it is some sort of totally not anti-semitic joke maybe you can explain it.
It's just a really cool shirt man. I just bought one. I'm gonna buy another one for my girlfriend soon. Love the graphic.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1223 on: January 15, 2023, 10:50:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It's just a really cool shirt man. I just bought one. I'm gonna buy another one for my girlfriend soon. Love the graphic.
Wasn't trying to excuse the shirt just was seeing If it's only the entire graphic together or the elements seperated are still as bad. The answer seems to be the second option.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1224 on: January 16, 2023, 02:52:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i guess it depends a bit on where you live and how much history there is with stuff like this. in my country the apparence of a hooknosed scheming and kniving figure was the traditional anti semitic depiction of a jew.

i find it at least very ambiguos, but overall very sus to put that shirt out, especially as a european company. there's no way no one in the management didn't think about it twice. it must have been a calculated move. it's nearly impossible they are unaware of the fact this at least might be seen as a riff on antisemitic cliches.

even if they are not anti-semitic it's still a fucked up and tasteless business move to bring out a shirt like this.

Expand Quote
[close]

monty burns has a long nose, but per series lore he's definitely not jewish. the series provides enough context to make that clear. at one point it's insinuated he might even have collaborated with nazis or was part of the ss at one point. there's much more to drive the point home he's absolutely clearly not jewish, but this is not a simpsons lore thread. the point is the simpsons provides plenty context to figure it out. without context like this like with the lrab shirt i'm left wondering who the hooknosed guy represents. historically there are only so many groups that were depicted like that and likened to the devil or demons.

to me this shirt borderlines on dogwhisteling to antisemites. i think it's really fucked up. i wouldn't want to be caught dead in it tbh.
I understand your point way better. Thanks. TBH I don't even like that graphic or most oh his art and I wondered if there was something I didn't get.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1225 on: January 16, 2023, 08:55:26 AM »
@Frank Very well said. The one thing I'd like to add is that it's absolutely possible for a Jewish persion to be antisemitic, so the "Mike Lottie is Jewish, so the shirt can't be antisemitic" argument doesn't hold much water. If art features imagery that has been used for antisemitic purposes for hundreds of years, it's antisemitic, regardless of the artist's intent or whether they knew about the connotations - which any artist worth their salt absolutely should. We're not talking about some kid drawing something for the fridge here, this is a for-profit design that passed some kind of screening process before it was greenlit. It's very improbable that nobody involved in that process realized how probematic the imagery is.

I really liked both the idea and the exection of LRAB before I stumbled across these graphics, but I won't be caught dead in any of their gear anymore. Antisemitism can't be tolerated in any form.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 94
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1226 on: January 16, 2023, 09:11:49 AM »
Y'all are reaching with that shirt
Cocteau Twins

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1227 on: January 16, 2023, 12:11:36 PM »
Are you going to elaborate or do you expect us to change our minds based on your six words of wisdom?

thehogsniper

• Rep: 50
« Reply #1228 on: January 16, 2023, 01:17:59 PM »
I remember when we came here to discuss shoes.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: January 16, 2023, 08:17:36 PM »
Did anyone have odd bodz cards in the 90s?

I remember when we came here to discuss shoes.
Any news on the cupsole? That's really why I check this thread every day