Author Topic: Any deadheads on slap?  (Read 3212 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Any deadheads on slap?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2022, 05:47:00 PM »
Wife got me into the Dead a few years ago. She's been into them forever. I never really "got it," although I've always been super into Floyd, Zeppelin, classic psych stuff. Never really had the right intro, I guess.

It really clicked for me after watching the Amazon series on them when that came out, then it was game over. Just picked up the Europe '72 vinyl the other day.

Hope to see Dead & Company one of these days. We used to go watch Uncle John's Band at Skipper's in Tampa fairly often. Since moving to Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Bowl has had a some solid cover bands through. Grateful Shred was super good.

Grateful Dead really ain't anything like the other classic bands  ;)

if you're gonna see Dead & Co, make sure you get reeeeeeal high/tripped out and it will be better. If you're gonna do it, head upstate to Watkins Glen or Spac or Darien for the dopest experience. City shows are sick too though, but I think having a place to dance for the first show can be real nice. I won't paint your masterpiece though. Just get as high as possible, like so it looks mystical and shit. You want those dready wooks looking like cavemen and shit.

JRAD and DSO, although not home to the OG players, might be more in line with the Europe 72 vibe you're into. Catch Phil and the Terrapin Family Band if you can too. Wolf Bro's is kinda meh.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2022, 10:12:47 PM »
Saw a Grateful Dead cover band on Saturday night.  Life changing lol. Pretty much only song I know is Truckin. The musical experience wants me to dive into their whole catalog & start playing music again. The atmosphere & energy amazing. I’m not a big dancer however dancing with old timers so fun

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2022, 05:53:25 AM »
I like some Dead songs.

Is there some kind of beef going on between former members?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2022, 12:00:01 PM »
Saw a Grateful Dead cover band on Saturday night.  Life changing lol. Pretty much only song I know is Truckin. The musical experience wants me to dive into their whole catalog & start playing music again. The atmosphere & energy amazing. I’m not a big dancer however dancing with old timers so fun

hell ya, kid. much better songs than truckin. scroll this thread and check some videos. 08/27/72 is the pinnacle imo.

I like some Dead songs.

why do you ask about a beef? Phil Lesh was playing separate from, Bobby, Mickey, and Billy, but the only beef I've seen is between newbs you think John Mayer is better than Jerry and those who know what's up :o

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2022, 04:33:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hell ya, kid. much better songs than truckin. scroll this thread and check some videos. 08/27/72 is the pinnacle imo.

Expand Quote
I like some Dead songs.

[close]

why do you ask about a beef? Phil Lesh was playing separate from, Bobby, Mickey, and Billy, but the only beef I've seen is between newbs you think John Mayer is better than Jerry and those who know what's up :o

Not sure, thought I heard from my deadhead friends who used to go to shows at the Meadowlands that there was some kind of something going on with how they felt about Phil (not talking about "let Phil sing").  Anyway, glad there's no beef.

And that is just nuts that anyone would say John Mayer is better than Jerry.  Are you serious?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2022, 07:58:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
I like some Dead songs.

[close]

[close]

Not sure, thought I heard from my deadhead friends who used to go to shows at the Meadowlands that there was some kind of something going on with how they felt about Phil (not talking about "let Phil sing").  Anyway, glad there's no beef.

And that is just nuts that anyone would say John Mayer is better than Jerry.  Are you serious?

there's always stories about why Phil isn't playing with Dead and Company. Some people argue that it's about personalities. Others, probably more correctly, attribute it to Phil's age, health, and desire to do whatever he wants rather than tour with D&C. Up til recently, he owned a restaurant/venue called Terrapin Crossroads and was able to play there pretty often with friends and the band with his kid. Really though, who knows man.

I saw Phil's terrapin family band at Oregon Country Fair (site of Veneta 8/27/72/sunshine daydream show) back in 2019 and it was dope. Didn't expect it to be the last show I saw since Covid, but anyways, go see Phil's band.

Billy & the Kids is a sick band, Billy Strings and Billy Kreutzman.... wheweee, absolute heater shows.

JRAD is pretty good, DSO is good.

Dead & Co, is eh, I don't know man. I'm a head. Grateful Dead music is my hymnal music. So, I'm gonna get what I can get, but D&C, after the first 5 shows, I'm just not feeling as much magic with them. The crowd is different. Marketing is more prevalent and corporate, etc. If you can get in, go see em, but it's not as good as the other post Jerry incarnations.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2022, 05:51:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
I like some Dead songs.

[close]

[close]

[close]

there's always stories about why Phil isn't playing with Dead and Company. Some people argue that it's about personalities. Others, probably more correctly, attribute it to Phil's age, health, and desire to do whatever he wants rather than tour with D&C. Up til recently, he owned a restaurant/venue called Terrapin Crossroads and was able to play there pretty often with friends and the band with his kid. Really though, who knows man.

I saw Phil's terrapin family band at Oregon Country Fair (site of Veneta 8/27/72/sunshine daydream show) back in 2019 and it was dope. Didn't expect it to be the last show I saw since Covid, but anyways, go see Phil's band.

Billy & the Kids is a sick band, Billy Strings and Billy Kreutzman.... wheweee, absolute heater shows.

Dead & Co, is eh, I don't know man. I'm a head. Grateful Dead music is my hymnal music. So, I'm gonna get what I can get, but D&C, after the first 5 shows, I'm just not feeling as much magic with them. The crowd is different. Marketing is more prevalent and corporate, etc. If you can get in, go see em, but it's not as good as the other post Jerry incarnations.

I thought about seeing them when they were at the Capitol.  Might check them out when they come around.  How many shows have you been too roughly?

I always smile when this comes up on my playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04VT9becM3A

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2022, 06:04:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
I like some Dead songs.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I thought about seeing them when they were at the Capitol.  Might check them out when they come around.  How many shows have you been too roughly?

I always smile when this comes up on my playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04VT9becM3A

I had halloween tix at the Cap in 2019, maybe 2018... But I had to get back to CA for an emergency =(

I'm only 36, so I never got to see Garcia, but I've been going to shows since '02. Couldn't really tell you how many, but with The Other Ones (which imo was the best post Jerry incarnation), the Dead, and Further, excluding the first 2 years of Dead and Company, I've generally gotten at least a few each year. No D&C last year, but the years prior we did the Gorge and Eugene. West Coast venues are really spread far apart and with ticket prices being what they are, a run of 5 shows is gonna cost well over a grand. I'm too old to be hustling on the lot anymore, so it's what it is. But it used to be really easy to flip a zip in slices in under an hour and pay for tickets, gas, food, balloons, etc. Also, from my home to the Bay Area is at least 6 hours in the car. To Eugene it's 6 hrs. To the Gorge it's at least 13 hours. Thankfully, there's some legit bands that stop in and play pretty often! Still haven't been to a show in 2 years though!!!!

There have been years when we might do a run for a week or 10 days. Then all the GD family bands- Ratdog, Phil and Friends, JGB, DSO, cover bands etc. When I was living in New England, it was pretty easy to hit a bunch of shows in a row.

Phish is worth seeing if you have any inkling of interest. I haven't seen them in a long time but what I hear is some of the best Phish I've heard since I started seeing them in 03. Dose up and get down =)

If the Bobby & Phil duo plays again, try to get a night because they were good. I got 2 nights at Radio City and one at the Wang in Boston. Pretty special shows, for sure. I love the old theaters.

Anything with John Kadlecik is going to be sick. A lot of people seem to dig Grateful Shred.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2022, 10:40:11 AM »
considering goin' down the live show rabbithole haha. I have only listened to live/dead a handful of times and dead's hits. im uniniatited

@IusedToSkateMore can you recommend some live shows to a noobie like myself?  :-*

tonitonne

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2022, 10:55:23 AM »
I like all of their music, but my favorite era and most listened to is 69-72 live shows. Dick's picks 26, 16, 11, 8, 4, and 2 all come to mind as an introduction for that era.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2022, 11:45:43 AM »
considering goin' down the live show rabbithole haha. I have only listened to live/dead a handful of times and dead's hits. im uniniatited

@IusedToSkateMore can you recommend some live shows to a noobie like myself?  :-*

08/27/72 is my favorite

Many call 5/7, 5/8, 5/9 1977 the best shows, and they're good, for sure.

But 8/27/72 at veneta is exceptional. Its it's got components of jazzier dead, rock n roll dead, and some of the 60s bluesy dead on there, andddd, its psychedelic as fuck without being unbearable at all. The show is played as a fundraiser on Kesey family farm (merry pranksters).

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2022, 01:18:40 PM »
@tonitonne @IusedToSkateMore much appreciated, gonna dive in

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2022, 02:05:11 PM »
@tonitonne @IusedToSkateMore much appreciated, gonna dive in

look up without a net also, it's a compilation of recordings from 89-90 and it's some of the finest later era GD.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2022, 09:41:14 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrtkbEv4oFQ

This is my current favourite dead live album, it was go to Nassau, but I feel like it rotates.
 the version of morning dew is gets my heart pumping.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2022, 07:44:55 PM »
Saw D&C last week, sleepy show

Gonna catch Phil & friends next month

Some Phish summer tour

Funny this thread exists!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2022, 09:01:43 PM »

Some Phish summer tour

what show did you catch? I think I'm all set with dead and company as long as Mayer's still playing. musics slow and the scene is not quite my thing.

Phil's band/bands are really hot right now. I'm bummed to have missed him so far this summer. Pretty crazy he opted to play a shitty festival in marshfield mass rather than Oregon country fair again, but so it goes.

thinking about trying to get down to Days Between on the Eel next month, get some DSO, Melvin & JGB, stu Allen etc

Phish is hot right now too, man. fuckin a. what shows are you gonna hit?

ChipSuey

• Rep: 25
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2022, 11:34:18 AM »
Heyyy my first post on here, just saying whattup to the deadhead skaters, and thanks to my lady for getting me into them after years and years of me writing them off.  All it took was a beautiful road trip through Vermont and Blues for Allah.  It was just exactly perfect.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2022, 07:49:59 PM »
Heyyy my first post on here, just saying whattup to the deadhead skaters, and thanks to my lady for getting me into them after years and years of me writing them off.  All it took was a beautiful road trip through Vermont and Blues for Allah.  It was just exactly perfect.

sounds magic!

get them king Solomon's marbles, kid! used to love those days in VT, getting high, and listening to the Dead. sou

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2022, 09:32:29 PM »
Expand Quote

Some Phish summer tour

[close]

what show did you catch? I think I'm all set with dead and company as long as Mayer's still playing. musics slow and the scene is not quite my thing.

Phil's band/bands are really hot right now. I'm bummed to have missed him so far this summer. Pretty crazy he opted to play a shitty festival in marshfield mass rather than Oregon country fair again, but so it goes.

thinking about trying to get down to Days Between on the Eel next month, get some DSO, Melvin & JGB, stu Allen etc

Bethel x2 for Phish, about to do Atlantic City run

Get em while they're hot! Def firing on all cylinders at this point in the tour. Blossom and Raleigh shows smoked.

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2022, 06:38:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Some Phish summer tour

[close]

[close]

Get em while they're hot! Def firing on all cylinders at this point in the tour. Blossom and Raleigh shows smoked.

Alpine ripping so far. Last time I was at that she'd was for the Grateful Dead "reunion" in 02. Real good from my couch this weekend though.
Only caught Mann and MPP so far this year.
0 desire to sea Dead & Co at this time. Not taking trash, just not for me. It's rather go see Phil. Bummed TxR closed. Traveled to see him there a few times.
I did luck in the first Terrapin Family Band show in the middle of the woods at the first Lockin at 2am. No one knew it was happening.
I've seen Phil in one form or another almost 200 times.  Got lucky to catch the first Unbroken Chain in Philly at one if my first shows.
Missed only one show of So Many Roads tour.
Saw 2 entire Quintet tours, not missing a single show.
The irony is I'm getting a divorce/mediation this Friday because my Wife, who never did tour, can't stop disappearing for days to go to shows. We have a 5yr old blessing of a son, and it's just sad.  She never did tour in her youth, but to be 43, go to Fri AC show, and just text "Someone else can watch (our son). I'm busy right now. Your Mom can figure it out" I was working 12 hr shifts and AC weekend was her custody time.  Cocaine really is a helluva drug.
Sorry to rant. Really going through it the past 2 months.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2022, 06:54:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Some Phish summer tour

[close]

[close]

[close]

Alpine ripping so far. Last time I was at that she'd was for the Grateful Dead "reunion" in 02. Real good from my couch this weekend though.
Only caught Mann and MPP so far this year.
0 desire to sea Dead & Co at this time. Not taking trash, just not for me. It's rather go see Phil. Bummed TxR closed. Traveled to see him there a few times.
I did luck in the first Terrapin Family Band show in the middle of the woods at the first Lockin at 2am. No one knew it was happening.
I've seen Phil in one form or another almost 200 times.  Got lucky to catch the first Unbroken Chain in Philly at one if my first shows.
Missed only one show of So Many Roads tour.
Saw 2 entire Quintet tours, not missing a single show.
The irony is I'm getting a divorce/mediation this Friday because my Wife, who never did tour, can't stop disappearing for days to go to shows. We have a 5yr old blessing of a son, and it's just sad.  She never did tour in her youth, but to be 43, go to Fri AC show, and just text "Someone else can watch (our son). I'm busy right now. Your Mom can figure it out" I was working 12 hr shifts and AC weekend was her custody time.  Cocaine really is a helluva drug.
Sorry to rant. Really going through it the past 2 months.

yo brotha, that 02 run was my first. The Other Ones... maybe I'm biased cuz it was my first, but they were the best post Garcia incarnation by a long shot.

My heart hurts to hear about your wife and son. I've seen similar things go down with families too many times. It's shitty how tour can really beautiful but also really enable BS. I never understood the cocaine addiction thing but one of my homies lost his whole everything, farm, homes, wife/kid, fucking deadhead/tour empire if you will with an intravenous cocaine addiction a few years back.

It's weird man, real weird, after counseling numerous kids whose parents were/are tour rats and don't make the right choices for the kids, I've been having a real hard time with aspects of the scene. Anyways, not tryna drop my shit on you, it's just been a weird juxtaposition.

Hit me up in the DM if you wanna chat. love n respect

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2022, 11:08:10 PM »
on my way back from a rainbow, 6 hours each way, listening to the dead there and back. Never been a huge fan but it is indeed great music for to have drive, hang out, and play.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2022, 11:08:34 AM »
on my way back from a rainbow, 6 hours each way, listening to the dead there and back. Never been a huge fan but it is indeed great music for to have drive, hang out, and play.

heck ya. how was it?

08/27/72 is lysergic gold

Garcia/Kahn (anything)

Garcia/Grisman (anything)

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2022, 11:33:50 PM »
@IusedToSkateMore  it was amazing. I still feel pretty starryeyed.

live, laugh, love

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2022, 10:44:13 AM »
Hey longtime Deadhead here. Just wanted to share that there's an app on Android called 'Deadhead archives' that has all their shows cataloged by year with multiple recordings of most of the shows. Hopefully it helps newer listeners hear more of their stuff.

An old Deadhead buddy of mine got me into the habit of not looking at setlists, and playing shows from start to finish. I highly recommend doing this. You get the same feeling of being at the show and wondering what they'll play next. Also by skipping around the show to songs you like, you might miss some incredible versions of songs that may not be your favorites.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 12:15:27 PM by live, laugh, love »

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2022, 04:40:21 PM »
Hey longtime Deadhead here. Just wanted to share that there's an app on Android called 'Deadhead archives' that has all their shows cataloged by year with multiple recordings of most of the shows. Hopefully it helps newer listeners hear more of their stuff.

An old Deadhead buddy of mine got me into the habit of not looking at setlists, and playing shows from start to finish. I highly recommend doing this. You get the same feeling of being at the show and wondering what they'll play next. Also by skipping around the show to songs you like, you might miss some incredible versions of songs that may not be your favorites.

This day in history is great on the app. Pick a year and go

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2022, 09:18:38 PM »
PhilCo was pretty good, but I may be biased. Saw the quintet over a hundred times.  Study spot for Uncle Phil what's.

Phish Dick's is good so far tonight.  Phellowshipping from my couch all weekend. Page and Jon both real nice and heavy in the mix. Saw every show of the first 8 years at Dicks, but it looks so crowded now. 

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2022, 10:41:43 PM »
PhilCo was pretty good, but I may be biased. Saw the quintet over a hundred times.  Study spot for Uncle Phil what's.

Phish Dick's is good so far tonight.  Phellowshipping from my couch all weekend. Page and Jon both real nice and heavy in the mix. Saw every show of the first 8 years at Dicks, but it looks so crowded now.

Tickets are actually a LOT easier to get this year, so I’m guessing it’s a bit less crowded with the extra day.

Im supposed to go Sunday, but jacked up my knee real bad last week and have been on crutches. Hoping I can still make it but we’ll see.

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2022, 05:14:23 PM »
theres a local radio show that I try to listen to every saturday evening called dead air...7-9pm west coast. goes off of different themes, shows from that particular day or week, band members birthdays etc.
eugene, or and streams worldwide klcc.org

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2022, 09:18:23 PM »
theres a local radio show that I try to listen to every saturday evening called dead air...7-9pm west coast. goes off of different themes, shows from that particular day or week, band members birthdays etc.
eugene, or and streams worldwide klcc.org

Hell ya. We have KMUD here in Humboldt. I hear GD at least 2x a day, usually more. Gotta love the weed growers community radio station. There's a phish show. Backwards down the number line with frying pan Dan down in salmon creeeeek, Tuesdays 8-10pm. Also streams at kmud.org