Author Topic: Stand up comedy  (Read 19344 times)

swellbowed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Stand up comedy
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2023, 11:21:16 AM »

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2023, 03:51:27 PM »
Saw the king himself Shane Gillis last night and it was unbelievably great. Had to buy resale tickets over 100 bucks each but absolutely worth it, I encourage anyone else to do the same if he comes to your city

The guy who got booted from
SNL for making hack Asian jokes?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2023, 08:25:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Saw the king himself Shane Gillis last night and it was unbelievably great. Had to buy resale tickets over 100 bucks each but absolutely worth it, I encourage anyone else to do the same if he comes to your city
[close]

yep - that whole situation was probably the best thing to ever happen to him. well, at least he made the best of that situation. he is unbelievably funny. check out his sketch show Gilly and Keeves.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #213 on: March 05, 2023, 08:36:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yep - that whole situation was probably the best thing to ever happen to him. well, at least he made the best of that situation. he is unbelievably funny. check out his sketch show Gilly and Keeves.

Who would you compare him to?

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #214 on: March 05, 2023, 08:48:37 PM »
Saw Sheng Wang open for Ali Wong a couple of weeks ago. He's hilarious and her new stuff about getting railed post-divorce is really good.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2023, 12:54:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I wouldn't compare him to anyone honestly. I'm so fuckin jealous you still get to watch his special on YouTube for the first time ever

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2023, 02:38:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I wouldn't compare him to anyone honestly. I'm so fuckin jealous you still get to watch his special on YouTube for the first time ever

He's 100% his own animal. I guess if I had to compare him to anyone it would be Chappelle Show era Chappelle, at least when it comes to the sketches. Bold, risque, extremely smart and subversive. Dude, just watch him.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2023, 05:17:11 PM »
I have mixed opinions on Shane, but I loved that special.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2023, 05:28:14 PM »
I'm a pretty big fan of his so this isn't meant as a criticism, but I think his stand up delivery/style is often reminiscent of Louis C.K., and his sense of humor on the podcast sometimes reminds me of Kenny Powers from Eastbound & Down. I'm sure he'd admit they're both big influences on him, so it's whatever.

And yes, he admittedly said some unsavory words in that podcast clip that got him cancelled, but the bit genuinely was basically a satire mocking how white people used to think of asian people as less than human.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but tbh I only found like half of the G&K sketches I saw funny.

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2023, 07:14:45 PM »

The Sheng Wang & Ali Wong refs on the heels of Gillis talk not going unnoticed lol

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

Sweeps

• Rep: 14
« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2023, 07:35:25 PM »

companguero

• sesquipedalian
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2023, 04:45:42 AM »
New Louis CK special.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/ImMGnr6VfMGr/

Damn this is much sharper than the last special he put out.

Reminds me of a moment in the recent "tuesdays with stories" podcasts where they discuss attending a Bill Cosby show.
Is it ok to attend for free? Should you abstain due to his crimes?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2023, 05:00:56 AM »
Expand Quote

Reminds me of a moment in the recent "tuesdays with stories" podcasts where they discuss attending a Bill Cosby show.

Yes, I liked it, too. A lot less bad politically incorrect jokes („I say this edgy thing just, because I can“ type jokes), than in the last one. The last „gay sperm“ joke was like that, but I laughed a lot through out the rest of it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2023, 05:28:23 AM »
definitely down to check out louie, thanks for sharing. my wife and i caught him in austin which was great because the venue was small and our tickets were really good because of that.

companguero

• sesquipedalian
« Reply #224 on: March 07, 2023, 05:44:13 AM »
Expand Quote

EDIT:

well worth the watch if you were a fan.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2023, 06:00:38 AM »
The Chris Rock special wasn’t as bad as I expected.  Several times he’d veer towards the exhausting out-of-touch-rich-old-guy-vs-cancel-culture bullshit.. but then actually say something kind of funny.  I just really wish the media would stop glamorizing cocaine so much lately… because it makes me really want some but I can’t.

Not sure if this belongs in the stand up or podcast thread.. but I recently discovered Kill Tony and it’s definitely entertaining.  Maybe not so much the actual standup, but the absolutely ruthless and very not-PC roasting that ensues. 

companguero

• sesquipedalian
« Reply #226 on: March 07, 2023, 06:37:53 AM »
The Chris Rock special wasn’t as bad as I expected.  Several times he’d veer towards the exhausting out-of-touch-rich-old-guy-vs-cancel-culture bullshit.. but then actually say something kind of funny.  I just really wish the media would stop glamorizing cocaine so much lately… because it makes me really want some but I can’t.

Not sure if this belongs in the stand up or podcast thread.. but I recently discovered Kill Tony and it’s definitely entertaining.  Maybe not so much the actual standup, but the absolutely ruthless and very not-PC roasting that ensues.

Can you link a choice episode?

I’ve caught clips and it didn’t hold my attention but, according to OP’s intent of the thread “…standup that has a non-traditional format” this fits right in so I’m interested.

(Rock’s special is another return to greatness.)

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2023, 07:03:49 AM »
I’ve only listened to a few recent ones on Spotify while at work, and tbh they’re all pretty similar.. but the one with David Lucas and his daughter Luna was pretty good iirc.  Him and Hans Kim are definitely my favourite regulars.  William Montgomery is the only one I find too annoying/over the top.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #228 on: March 07, 2023, 09:07:18 AM »
A couple episodes I enjoyed. Shane hammered is the best here.
Shane "as soon as I saw cargo shorts I knew you wouldn't be funny"
Rogan "shut up I wear cargo shorts!"
Shane "well...."

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #229 on: March 07, 2023, 12:01:53 PM »

I thought I was great, I was dying at the joke about his daughter biting people

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2023, 07:07:19 AM »
Chris Rock's new special is 100% on point and air tight...i loved every minute of it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2023, 09:10:05 PM »
Chris Rock's new special is 100% on point and air tight...i loved every minute of it.

Even when he made a “my pronouns are” joke?   Such a fucking hack joke I was surprised he stooped to it, but at least he didn’t dwell. 

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I don’t know if I’d ever replay it

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2023, 02:51:34 AM »
New Louis CK was very good. One of my favorite comedians for sure.

Had to turn off the new Chris Rock special after about 20 minutes. Not my cup of tea.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2023, 07:48:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Even when he made a “my pronouns are” joke?   Such a fucking hack joke I was surprised he stooped to it, but at least he didn’t dwell. 

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I don’t know if I’d ever replay it

Kind of expected those jokes, most older black dudes have a few conservative ideologies (speaking from experience) .knew that pronoun and his trans joke wasnt going to go too far but he really didnt work those like chappelle would…just moved on knowing hes old

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2023, 10:16:28 PM »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: March 23, 2023, 07:35:47 AM »
Shane Gillis is playing the theater in my hometown in June. Tickets just went on sale yesterday! Definitely going to cop a few tomorrow when my paycheck hits.

Chris Distefano played here last week, and a ton of A level comics are starting to tour here. Comics are finally realizing my city is a huge market.

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #236 on: March 23, 2023, 12:38:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

dude, you're in a stand up comedy thread in 2023 and you're asking people who Shane Gillis is??? Why are you here?  Gonna bust out some sweet George Carlin and school everyone?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2023, 02:16:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

dude, you're in a stand up comedy thread in 2023 and you're asking people who Shane Gillis is??? Why are you here?  Gonna bust out some sweet George Carlin and school everyone?

no, bozo, I know who he is.   I was wondering what comedians he was like.   Only heard of him bc of the SNL controversy and haven’t seen him release a special anywhere, but I’m glad you’ve massively overestimated the reach of whatever podcast you’ve heard him on

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #238 on: March 24, 2023, 05:26:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

no, bozo, I know who he is.   I was wondering what comedians he was like.   Only heard of him bc of the SNL controversy and haven’t seen him release a special anywhere, but I’m glad you’ve massively overestimated the reach of whatever podcast you’ve heard him on

He's on every podcast and is touring the world.  You want people to describe him to you like you're actually going to listen to some of his stuff? It's obvious you chimed in because you wanted to dogpile and now you're doing a little "oh! is he any good? describe him!" bullshit to backtrack because it's not 2020 anymore and nobody cares to join you in your little attempt at a finger-wag/dogpile. Nobody cares. Go try and be outraged somewhere else.

companguero

• sesquipedalian
« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2023, 06:31:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, I liked it, too. A lot less bad politically incorrect jokes („I say this edgy thing just, because I can“ type jokes), than in the last one...

That was perfectly worded. Couldn't put my finger on it.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I had my knee-jerk reaction to your original question but, giving you the benefit of the doubt and your ignorance of his work, I'll link his special here so you can form your own opinion.