Author Topic: Stand up comedy  (Read 19087 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Stand up comedy
« on: January 24, 2021, 08:34:14 PM »
Stand up comedy is like pizza.  Everyone likes it.  Except assholes.

What I was thinking for this thread is that individuals post good standup sets OR other funny standup that has a non traditional format.

For example,

Traditional standup

https://youtu.be/MkydWp_5NgQ

https://youtu.be/tDolNU89SXI

Non-Traditional Standup

https://www.c-span.org/video/?123268-1/brain-droppings
Starting at 10:40 is when it begins to get good.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Stand up comedy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »
I think most stand up comedy is terrible, but I make an exception for Doug Stanhope.  Most of his shit is pretty good, and entertaining.  I like George Carlin as well, but I would rather reread Braindroppings than listen to his standup.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 09:01:49 PM »
Tangentially related, but if you go back and watch old Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay stand-up, (which I don’t recommend) is like being transported to some alternate dimension.  They never once say something even remotely funny but the audience will be doubled over, hyperventilating with tears of laughter streaming down their faces.

I’ve watched two or three of their specials and literally spent the whole time trying to figure out what the fuck I’m watching.

http://www.youtu.be/aTKZRire8Wg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTT34o3QKQY&feature=share
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 09:02:30 PM »
that mark normand hour is so so good

the joke she walks into at 1:00 kills me
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMk5UBpP5s

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 09:08:28 PM »
Tangentially related, but if you go back and watch old Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay stand-up, (which I don’t recommend) is like being transported to some alternate dimension.  They never once say something even remotely funny but the audience will be doubled over, hyperventilating with tears of laughter streaming down their faces.

Oh man, I was born the day Sam Kinison died so I've tried a handful of times over the years to get into him but just can't.  I think the funniest part about it is how fucking terribly some of the shit he says has aged.

At the beginning of "Have you seen me lately" he starts off with a bit about how dumb drunk driving laws are, then went on to get killed by a drunk driver.  He has bits about AIDS denial and being anti-condom.  The "World Hunger" bit is based entirely off ignorance of the situation.  It's been at least five years since I've listened to him, I'm sure it's even worse now.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 10:03:46 PM »
Awesome idea.

Iĺ go doug stanhope, mark normand, norm Macdonald
,  theo von, chris distefano,  tom segura .

Just the modern day cats. So many more ....
Gentleman ninja warlock

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 11:47:01 PM »
Kyle Kinane is pretty great.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

companguero

• Rep: 247
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 12:39:19 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

That George Carlin link sucked me in, he even comments at the beginning "I can assure you I'm properly nervous... because this is a setting I'm not completely familiar with and as we all know anything new is to be feared and dreaded".

Chris Rock and Ricky Gervais as award show hosts roasted hard.

and Colbert dropping a WMD on Bush has got to be one of the greatest examples of punching up. Modern Jester.
Quote from: wiki
Jesters could also give bad news to the King that no one else would dare deliver. In 1340, when the French fleet was destroyed at the Battle of Sluys by the English, Phillippe VI's jester told him the English sailors "don't even have the guts to jump into the water like our brave French"

Colin Quinn is a big one for me. Story telling, attitude, style etc...
His show Tough Crowd was innovative and all of his one man shows are so enjoyable for the combination of informative and insightful material.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 01:34:19 AM »

I’ve watched two or three of their specials and literally spent the whole time trying to figure out what the fuck I’m watching.

http://www.youtu.be/aTKZRire8Wg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTT34o3QKQY&feature=share

Holy shit yeah that was heinous the second bloke reminds me of Doug mulray for some reason

https://youtu.be/u0lVbMOMTi0
Dave Hughes is a fucken creature have a go at his face
You wanna watch Steve Hughes
listen to cosmic psychos

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 07:18:34 AM »

That George Carlin link sucked me in, he even comments at the beginning "I can assure you I'm properly nervous... because this is a setting I'm not completely familiar with and as we all know anything new is to be feared and dreaded".

and Colbert dropping a WMD on Bush has got to be one of the greatest examples of punching up. Modern Jester.
Expand Quote
Jesters could also give bad news to the King that no one else would dare deliver. In 1340, when the French fleet was destroyed at the Battle of Sluys by the English, Phillippe VI's jester told him the English sailors "don't even have the guts to jump into the water like our brave French"
[close]

His show Tough Crowd was innovative and all of his one man shows are so enjoyable for the combination of informative and insightful material.

Mark was pretty good awhile back. I actually had the pleasure of chatting with him a few months back and hes a true skate rat. He said one of his biggest accomplishments was landing a 360 flip down a 4 set clean in a line. I felt happy for him just hearing how he said it
Gentleman ninja warlock

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 10:10:22 AM »
Not really traditional stand up(like a special or whatever), but this always cracks me up

https://youtu.be/ByvY3sjOGzo
Gentleman ninja warlock

companguero

• sesquipedalian
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »
Theo Von is uniquely funny in conversation. Recognizing him years ago after MTV's Road Rules was not encouraging but he really improved.

Mark was pretty good awhile back. I actually had the pleasure of chatting with him a few months back and hes a true skate rat. He said one of his biggest accomplishments was landing a 360 flip down a 4 set clean in a line. I felt happy for him just hearing how he said it

Did he avoid eye contact? He's funny about the social anxiety. Went deep wormhole on his podcast (Tuesdays with Stories) with Joe List
Other notable skater standups: Dave Chapelle, Andrew Santino (Interviews Tony Hawk), David Spade (he's got stories about skating AZ ditches and bad slams out on podcasts)

For a few months before the pandemic it was becoming a hobby to watch "good" open mic. Gave me something to do sunday evenings. $4 pints and a couple hours of the occasional cringe but it was invigorating to watch the process live.

Paul Provenza's (Green Room) is another window into the standup world similar to Tough Crowd.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 11:28:04 AM »
Theo Von is uniquely funny in conversation. Recognizing him years ago after MTV's Road Rules was not encouraging but he really improved.

Expand Quote
[close]

Did he avoid eye contact? He's funny about the social anxiety. Went deep wormhole on his podcast (Tuesdays with Stories) with Joe List
Other notable skater standups: Dave Chapelle, Andrew Santino (Interviews Tony Hawk), David Spade (he's got stories about skating AZ ditches and bad slams out on podcasts)

For a few months before the pandemic it was becoming a hobby to watch "good" open mic. Gave me something to do sunday evenings. $4 pints and a couple hours of the occasional cringe but it was invigorating to watch the process live.

Paul Provenza's (Green Room) is another window into the standup world similar to Tough Crowd.

Hahaha he does have crazy social anxiety. But we just talked on the phone. Was a great chat! All he thinks about is comedy. Half the shit I said hed interject with "that's a great premise, or this could be a bit"

He kinda acts like an idiot at times, same with theo von, but I can tell you both are very intelligent

Also, how has nobody mentioned Mitch hedberg yet?
Gentleman ninja warlock

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 12:21:12 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, colbert‘s stand up at the correspondence dinner is great!

Have you seen the Mitchell wolf doing the same gig during the first trump year?

https://youtu.be/L8IYPnnsYJw

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »
I don't know much standup but I'm stoked to check these links. Bill Hicks was pretty lengendary.

I've been digging Pete Davidson lately. I appreciate his openness in talking about his mental illness and that he reminds me of a lot of dudes I know and care about who are totally lost and/or dead
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 07:59:37 PM »
My dad raised us on early UK comedy like Jasper Carrot and Richard Digance.
For English comedy I've always thought Jack Dee is top of the pile.

Anyone here do any stand up.
My first gig was opening for a 10 person comp to 250 payers, I came second.

I also placed third in Raw Comedy once (interesting fact the dude I lost to went on to become Australian rapper Allday.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 08:42:57 PM »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 09:07:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh man, I was born the day Sam Kinison died so I've tried a handful of times over the years to get into him but just can't.  I think the funniest part about it is how fucking terribly some of the shit he says has aged.

At the beginning of "Have you seen me lately" he starts off with a bit about how dumb drunk driving laws are, then went on to get killed by a drunk driver.  He has bits about AIDS denial and being anti-condom.  The "World Hunger" bit is based entirely off ignorance of the situation.  It's been at least five years since I've listened to him, I'm sure it's even worse now.
Stand up comedy was everywhere on US cable at the height of these dudes popularity and I just thought I was not a fan stand-up. The only thing I can remember liking form that period was a Jerry Seinfeld HBO special. Cut to a couple decades later and I started listening to the Best Show on WFMU and caught a lot of current stars on the come-up. I'm a fan of too many people now.

When clubs open back up and I get vaccinated, I'm gonna go try to get on at an open mic somewhere.

them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

companguero

• sesquipedalian
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 10:43:12 PM »
Ian Bagg was a solid first post. He had me with the crowd work and I think that skill can prove a comic's worth. Nothing worse than suffering someone reciting their "act" when they're incapable of ad libbing to fill the silence of a bomb.

Re: Dice and Sam Kinison
Quote from: SneakySecrets
That is a funny take in itself.

"In 1990, [Dice] became the first stand-up comedian to sell out Madison Square Garden for two consecutive nights."
His act raises the bar for peak attendance yet there are always some people completely non-plussed... not "I don't get it" but "what is this, why is everyone laughing?"

Dice's album "The Day the Laughter Died" is a good counter-point.
Quote from: wiki (condensed)
'The concept was to record an unadvertised performance in a small club with a small crowd, many of whom would not necessarily be fans of Clay's act.'
'The album is largely improvisational yet, the jokes are delivered intentionally flat and raw as to offend and alienate the audience, turning the performance into the joke itself.'

Joe Rogan and Anthony Jeselnik mention Dice and Sam turned into the characters they played
"Dice" was comedian Andrew Clay Silverstein before he pruned his act and became the character.

There's something interesting about Dice's crowds in the clip, they weren't laughing at the material anymore. They were "singing along" to the vulgarity. It reminded me of something Chappelle admitted about the decision to end his show, he could sense some in the audience were laughing derisively at the characters he was playing, they didn't get these characters were spoofs being mocked by Dave. Same with Dice's obnoxious crowd except Dave decided not to profit off it.

@Beta Can you reveal how you got to chat with Mark? I noticed you befriended Theo but it sounds like you're rubbing elbows with some other elites now!

@S. I was aware of Michelle Wolf's performace but hadn't seen it, thanks for the post.
Great to see the one-two, Colbert's unprecedented public razing of a president and Michelle taking the media to task for the disgrace of selling out the public's trust to a career liar.

I don't know much standup but I'm stoked to check these links. Bill Hicks was pretty lengendary.

I've been digging Pete Davidson lately. I appreciate his openness in talking about his mental illness and that he reminds me of a lot of dudes I know and care about who are totally lost and/or dead
Similar affinity for him. Ive got "Big Time Adolescence" and "King of Staten Island" que'd up, I think I'll knock em out tonight.

I couldn't handle the pressure of attempting standup but I often think of better tags and conceptual stuff to try out.

My only advice from an audience perspective is to refrain from ever commenting on a bomb in a way that tells us you're hurt and it's our fault.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 10:54:53 PM »
Well I mean if we're posting consequential sets done at the White Correspondents' Dinner then ya just gotta post the butterfly that flapped it's wings and started our current shittsunami:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oT_4RJx4G0
Man look at that fucking sourpuss

Here's the whole thing if anyone wants more context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YGITlxfT6s
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 03:15:50 AM »
Doug Stanhope is unreal I particularly like the one where he helps his mums die, that one’s all time

This ones pretty funny
https://youtu.be/dryPAlzxHtU
listen to cosmic psychos

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 07:28:33 AM »
Mark normand, Kyle kinane, as mentioned... mark normand had a great special last year (someone posted above), both have great podcasts. Joe list (marks heterosexual life mate) also has a great special posted last year. Sam morril, in my opinion, had the best special of 2020. https://youtu.be/4Xo3Fq7GGWk .... he also filmed one during the pandemic on rooftops in New York... which is also great... https://youtu.be/M0qDTYmaT-Y I hope those links work.... I will say, Shane gillis ( the cancelled snl guy) is probably my favorite comedian currently. I love his podcast, saw him live not too long ago and he crushed. Sorry for the long post...

Edit: also, for those who like basketball, Sam morril and stavros halkias (cumtown fame) have a great podcast. Pod don’t lie

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 07:49:34 AM »
Andy Stone skating to Andrew Dice Clay was pretty cool, like 1:10
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHRZLc8QTSA&t=70s

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 08:02:02 AM »
Joe list (marks heterosexual life mate) also has a great special

i saw joe list last february open for louis ck and he absolutely crushed .. he’s really fucking good and just stacks jokes on top of jokes .. my face hurt from laughing so hard
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
Ian Bagg was a solid first post. He had me with the crowd work and I think that skill can prove a comic's worth. Nothing worse than suffering someone reciting their "act" when they're incapable of ad libbing to fill the silence of a bomb.

Re: Dice and Sam Kinison
Quote from: SneakySecrets
Expand Quote
[close]
That is a funny take in itself.

"In 1990, [Dice] became the first stand-up comedian to sell out Madison Square Garden for two consecutive nights."
His act raises the bar for peak attendance yet there are always some people completely non-plussed... not "I don't get it" but "what is this, why is everyone laughing?"

Dice's album "The Day the Laughter Died" is a good counter-point.
Quote from: wiki (condensed)
Expand Quote
'The concept was to record an unadvertised performance in a small club with a small crowd, many of whom would not necessarily be fans of Clay's act.'
'The album is largely improvisational yet, the jokes are delivered intentionally flat and raw as to offend and alienate the audience, turning the performance into the joke itself.'
[close]

Joe Rogan and Anthony Jeselnik mention Dice and Sam turned into the characters they played
"Dice" was comedian Andrew Clay Silverstein before he pruned his act and became the character.

There's something interesting about Dice's crowds in the clip, they weren't laughing at the material anymore. They were "singing along" to the vulgarity. It reminded me of something Chappelle admitted about the decision to end his show, he could sense some in the audience were laughing derisively at the characters he was playing, they didn't get these characters were spoofs being mocked by Dave. Same with Dice's obnoxious crowd except Dave decided not to profit off it.

Expand Quote
[close]

@Beta Can you reveal how you got to chat with Mark? I noticed you befriended Theo but it sounds like you're rubbing elbows with some other elites now!

@S. I was aware of Michelle Wolf's performace but hadn't seen it, thanks for the post.
Great to see the one-two, Colbert's unprecedented public razing of a president and Michelle taking the media to task for the disgrace of selling out the public's trust to a career liar.

Expand Quote

[close]
Similar affinity for him. Ive got "Big Time Adolescence" and "King of Staten Island" que'd up, I think I'll knock em out tonight.

I couldn't handle the pressure of attempting standup but I often think of better tags and conceptual stuff to try out.

My only advice from an audience perspective is to refrain from ever commenting on a bomb in a way that tells us you're hurt and it's our fault.

I met mark through theo. Mark is easily one of the funniest human beings on the planet. He doesnt have an off button.  Btw, mark is on slap,  it's where he gets most of his skate video shit from.

Anyhow, theo introduced me to mark, mark introduced me to joe list and sam morril.

Sam introduced me to chris distefano and he introduced me to yannis Pappas and sal vulcano.

Somewhere in there I somehow met andrew santino.

I dont know, its fucking weird. These guys are just like skaters. Once you know one, your kinda in with a buncha people.

Gentleman ninja warlock

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 07:16:24 PM »
Dave Attell never is a let down. 

https://www.cc.com/episodes/78l10k/stand-up-specials-dave-attell-road-work-season-1-ep-1

Demetri Martin definitely has his own style, which is a good one.

@Betaphenylethylalamine in what material does Joe List talk about skate videos?

Kyle Dunnigan is awesome too.  His instagram is hilarious!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAtMRlhhDYh/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B733EovhcMY/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_QJ88JBtTW/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CALRHs2hT8Q/

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:40:43 PM by pugmaster »

Never forget:

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:25 PM »
Once I started doing stand up I pretty much stopped watching it. The Nate Bargatze special from a couple of years ago was great though, and if you like weirdo "alt comedy" the Maria Bamford special she shot at her house was funny. Most alt comedy is pretty fucking bad, but Bamford is usually great.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »
I love Bammers so much that I am fully committed to using this dumb nickname every time I refer to her

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 07:40:01 PM »
I'm so jealous of people who feel comfortable enough to be able to do stand up

Dave Attell is one of the greats, I watched a ton of Insomniac episodes when I was like 12

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 07:42:18 PM »
Maria Bamford and Kyle Dunnigan are both well imbued with the Pug spirit.

Never forget: