Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 64334 times)

leafman4000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1140 on: March 28, 2023, 07:12:40 PM »
practiced tre's & extending my foot out when doing kickflips - i and developed a bad habit of doing a quick and short flick instead of a nice extended one

tried to learn impossibles, but them shits keep flipping on me. tried backside flips for a while but it was too windy

i recently picked up mini ramp skating & was really stoked to get a nice 5 trick line (drop into a decently long 5050, 5-0 stall, rock fakie, fakie rock, and then fs disaster). even though it was really simple i was happy to get it on a 5 ft mini

Dude I have this problem too. I find aiming with your heel sometimes helps get that leg out there, but i still don’t have the flick I want. If you make any breakthroughs pls post

Congrats on the mini line!
I thought skaters were tough and got laid. Way off

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #1141 on: March 29, 2023, 11:51:11 AM »
Overshot a big park jump on my snowskate and just like jarred myself when I stomped it. Riding out of it, my lower back collapsed, and I keeled over before I could come into the rail line.

Ski patrol took me away in the sled and I was worried I broke my back so went to the ER. No breaks, just a little muscle strain like if I lifted a box wrong.

Doctor says no skating for 30 days, but I'm like 10 days in and barely any pain... just jonesing so hard to ride.

gravityslips

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1142 on: March 29, 2023, 03:45:30 PM »
I went to the diy to practice rolling into bigger stuff and everything was going great until I tried pumping out of this roll-in thing (? like a hump leading out of a bowl) and somehow got pitched and landed on my hands and face

it actually wasn't that painful but the sky looked purple for a minute and now I have this cute busted lip and drool thing going on

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1143 on: March 29, 2023, 04:49:32 PM »
Went to a recently built park about 15 minutes from my house. My board and shoes were both on their last leg but I made the best of it. I was able to learn switch back 50-50s and switch back tails on a curb high ledge. I was feeling pretty good so I started trying different tricks on the rainbow rail. I was able to 50-50 it first try so I decided to try a feeble and got stuck a 1/4 of the way up and flew forward over the rest of the rail. Luckily I was able to put my wrists down and catch myself to roll but ended up slamming the side of my right knee on the ground. This was on Monday and I'm still feeling it.

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1144 on: March 30, 2023, 09:53:08 AM »
Weather's been nice recently so me and the homies have been having a nightly session recently. Lost pretty much everything but it is what it is. Busted a fat tre flip the other night and that may be the only trick i've landed since last August.

Today's session though, went in for a crook on a ledge at uni, got pitched and rolled my ankle. Was wearing my accels so it could have been worse but it could have been better. Currently typing this out with ice on my ankle.

Last time I did this I had a green top ply, this time I've had a green top, so I'm convinced that the red top curse only affects me on green tops.

Dunno, I feel like it's kind of affecting me- this wandering self doubt and wonder if I should quit skating. I'm still young, so probably not and it's fun as fuck. Then again I remember someone telling me to quit music because I'm "too old" after I got into Uni for music. Fuck's sake dude, I'm 19. I can't even drink in most countries yet.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1145 on: March 30, 2023, 11:33:29 AM »
Weather's been nice recently so me and the homies have been having a nightly session recently. Lost pretty much everything but it is what it is. Busted a fat tre flip the other night and that may be the only trick i've landed since last August.

Today's session though, went in for a crook on a ledge at uni, got pitched and rolled my ankle. Was wearing my accels so it could have been worse but it could have been better. Currently typing this out with ice on my ankle.

Last time I did this I had a green top ply, this time I've had a green top, so I'm convinced that the red top curse only affects me on green tops.

Dunno, I feel like it's kind of affecting me- this wandering self doubt and wonder if I should quit skating. I'm still young, so probably not and it's fun as fuck. Then again I remember someone telling me to quit music because I'm "too old" after I got into Uni for music. Fuck's sake dude, I'm 19. I can't even drink in most countries yet.

Injuries are a part of skating. And most other moving activities too I think. But ask yourself this question.
Do you have fun skating and does it bring you joy?
Then don't quit.
IG: @flowterspace

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1146 on: March 30, 2023, 12:06:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Injuries are a part of skating. And most other moving activities too I think. But ask yourself this question.
Do you have fun skating and does it bring you joy?
Then don't quit.

You're right man. I think I'm overthinking/overdramatizing shit.

Hope your next sesh is good man

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1147 on: March 30, 2023, 12:19:36 PM »

Most people stop doing regular physical activity right around your age and slowly start becoming fat lazy adults. A lot of the people who are telling you to quit are probably in that category.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1148 on: March 31, 2023, 07:24:34 AM »
Find what you love and ride that shit to shore. Dont listen to bitter losers

vinithebr

• Rep: -22
« Reply #1149 on: March 31, 2023, 08:15:03 AM »
My surgery was scheduled for the 11th, it's the downside of free treatment here, and holy shit I know I'm not quitting skateboarding over a broken finger but I had no idea a small injury could be this problematic, this shit will for sure impact how I skate from now on at the very least.

I'm usually quite fearless all things considered, sometimes I'll fuck up my ollie before a sketchy trick but I'll keep trying till it works, I wasn't joking when I said I wanted to try cab board a while back and I couldn't wait to try shit like blunts and expand my bag, but not anymore.

One session I had a few years ago that I still remember is skating to deftones alone at night doing lines of backside flip, half cab flip n kickflip over and over. Guess I don't need fs crook on rails.

mfweeno

« Reply #1150 on: April 03, 2023, 06:52:29 AM »
I went out to the local Team Pain park this Sunday as is the typical move every couple of weekends.

I spent Thursday and Friday morning battling a ledge line before work, so I could tell I was coming into the session a little beat up. Nothing was really working on the manny pad or ledge, just felt kind of lethargic and "off".

Decided to switch gears and try a switch shuv up the euro gap. The gap itself is a little longer than a deck, and you have to aggressively pump a few of the park elements to get the speed to clear it. Slammed on my bad hip one time, but ended up stomping it a few tries after. I love switch shuvs and have just recently started trying them on more challenging obstacles - it's a simple but fun trick.

I am feeling pretty beat up today. I think my body is telling me to take a few days off.

mfweeno

« Reply #1151 on: April 04, 2023, 07:40:03 AM »
So I didn't end up resting too much - figures  ::)

Took yesterday off to give my feet a break, but had the itch to re-film the switch shove-it up the euro gap at the park. Woke up just before 7 am this morning with a burst of energy, so I knew it was there.

Ended up getting a few clips of the switch shove-it again, including two that were right on par with my standards. Always feels good to get something I'm stoked on before sitting at work all day.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1152 on: April 04, 2023, 09:02:57 AM »

I love switch shuvs

been one of my faves lately, been trying to finally get more coordination and power out of my switch foot and I've been doing lots of switch shoves.

my last session was helping/watching my 9 y/o nephew butt board during his first trip to the skate park. It was cool because it was his idea to go to the skate park and he had a lot of fun so maybe he'll actually get into it

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1153 on: April 04, 2023, 09:15:48 AM »
Can't say I fully learned it, but I landed my first bluntslide the other day. The spot was this short, noping QP that sits on top of a bank, shaped like a half-volcano.

So charge up the bank, skid into the blunt on top of the quarter, (BS), slide 2-3 feet, pop-in forward on the other side of the volcano.

I stuck one w/in 10 tries, and got another on camera w/in another 10-15 tries. Haven't learned anything that far outside the bag in a while, I'm still pretty stoked on that.

Wax actually helped me for once!
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

mfweeno

« Reply #1154 on: April 04, 2023, 01:44:11 PM »
Expand Quote

I love switch shuvs

[close]

been one of my faves lately, been trying to finally get more coordination and power out of my switch foot and I've been doing lots of switch shoves.

my last session was helping/watching my 9 y/o nephew butt board during his first trip to the skate park. It was cool because it was his idea to go to the skate park and he had a lot of fun so maybe he'll actually get into it

Switch shoves are the best! I am pretty switch-deficient and trying to address it, but I am feeling a lot more springy on my switch (left) foot since I've been trying them. Sounds like you are noticing it too.

Your nephew sounds a lot like I was when I was his age! I'm sure if he keeps having fun with it he will keep up the stoke  ;D

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1155 on: April 04, 2023, 02:41:41 PM »
Kinda bad.. I just wanted to have a nice chill early sesh but, it became a battle. The sun was out but it's ass cold. 5 degree celcius, windy. It took me 20 minutes to land a fuckin fakie varial flip, took a nasty slam on my elbow, chipped the nose of my board pretty, pretty bad and had some kind of rage spiral because of not landing shit.
Ah and I murdered my shoes too. I think I need a break.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1156 on: April 04, 2023, 02:50:03 PM »
Kinda bad.. I just wanted to have a nice chill early sesh but, it became a battle. The sun was out but it's ass cold. 5 degree celcius, windy. It took me 20 minutes to land a fuckin fakie varial flip, took a nasty slam on my elbow, chipped the nose of my board pretty, pretty bad and had some kind of rage spiral because of not landing shit.

Your avatar image makes this story sound very very sad... sorry about your gear. Hate those days where nothing wants to work

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1157 on: April 05, 2023, 11:55:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Your avatar image makes this story sound very very sad... sorry about your gear. Hate those days where nothing wants to work
Yea I just had a bad day.. Today was way better. I hit the bigger ramp a few minutes away and told myself, no fliptrick madness, just a chill ramp sesh.
It's the biggest ramp around so I was a bit stiff and it took a while to get used to but after hitting some CBD drops and watching the young guns learning boardslides down a big handrail my mood was pretty mellow. Had a good sesh overall. Overcome the fear and got a few proper 50s and bs feebles. A more sketchy bs 5-0, some proper rock n rolls and got I got used to the height real quick. Next time I wanna work on some more stuff but for now I'm really satisfied.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1158 on: April 05, 2023, 01:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yea I just had a bad day.. Today was way better. I hit the bigger ramp a few minutes away and told myself, no fliptrick madness, just a chill ramp sesh.
It's the biggest ramp around so I was a bit stiff and it took a while to get used to but after hitting some CBD drops and watching the young guns learning boardslides down a big handrail my mood was pretty mellow. Had a good sesh overall. Overcome the fear and got a few proper 50s and bs feebles. A more sketchy bs 5-0, some proper rock n rolls and got I got used to the height real quick. Next time I wanna work on some more stuff but for now I'm really satisfied.

Getting past that fear is one of the coolest feelings. Tangential story, I've only skated one actual halfpipe, and the thing scared the shit out of me. It was dead of winter in some warehouse. 9ft tall with these really long, wide transitions. I couldn't even get to axle stall, only scratchers. Still, even attempting to get some felt wild, almost like dropping in for the first time again.

SEBdestroyer

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1159 on: April 05, 2023, 02:43:44 PM »
The overall weather is starting to ease up here so our local crew is starting to hang out and revisit the parks around town again (the only indoor park turned into a youth center with obliviously strict rules made by some chemists and biologists over the winter so we were especially excited for the outdoor season to begin). The weather was windy and cloudy but we didn't let that bother us and we seshed the miniramp for the whole afternoon. Although I despise Rhino ramps parks with my whole heart, the miniramp they made turned out superb.

The session went went really well: everyone got some new tricks in the bag, the cheers could be heard all around the mechanics shops around the park. A small nuisance was the bird poop that resided on one of the halfpipes but we made do.

Before we took off on the journey to the store for a small supper three little rippers also pulled up to the park so we exchanged some hellos. I got two smoothies and some sweets that would roughly translate to "jamballs". The jamballs were undoubtedly the gnarliest part of the day, 3-pack of small pies filled with apple jam- I ate two and shared one with a friend. 

We had to catch the bus but before that I got a chance to try to teach one of the younglings a trick. The other two had already left and I saw the lone little ripper was struggling with kickflips. I gathered some confidence and offered him some help. He agreed but it turned out that my advice was ass and his flips went from better to worse. We had forgotten the greetings and after I introduced myself it turned out that the youngster knew all the locals by name already. A great start to the summer season.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1160 on: April 05, 2023, 03:19:34 PM »
Good session overall but struggling to get consistent fs 5-0s. Any intel?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

mfweeno

« Reply #1161 on: April 05, 2023, 03:21:39 PM »
I'm a fairly proficient 5-0'er in both directions, but frontside is my comfort zone.
What specific issues are you having?

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1162 on: April 05, 2023, 03:27:06 PM »

Are we talking on a ledge or transition?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1163 on: April 05, 2023, 03:46:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ledge
why come?

vinithebr

• Rep: -22
« Reply #1164 on: April 05, 2023, 04:22:51 PM »
The secret is first aim for a fs nosegrind, right before it touches the ledge you bring the back truck and go for a 50-50, but then instead of putting both trucks down you just 5-0, boom

On a serious note, I learnt 5-0s while trying smiths and failing to dip the nose, but I never practice them cause it's a very scary trick for me for whatever reason

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1165 on: April 05, 2023, 04:51:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ledge

It ultimately depends on which part of the trick you're struggling with, but I find that it helps having my shoulders slightly pointed away from the ledge while I'm grinding almost as if I was going to do a 180 out but just slightly less if that makes sense. All while making sure my weight is on the heel side.

Which part of fs 5-0s are you having a hard time with?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1166 on: April 05, 2023, 10:12:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ledge
[close]

It ultimately depends on which part of the trick you're struggling with, but I find that it helps having my shoulders slightly pointed away from the ledge while I'm grinding almost as if I was going to do a 180 out but just slightly less if that makes sense. All while making sure my weight is on the heel side.

Which part of fs 5-0s are you having a hard time with?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can get into the trick correctly but mostly immediately after the back truck hits the ledge or after a few inches of grinding I shift my weight unconsciously  and get down to 50 50 the rest of the ledge. This happens no matter how hard I try to „sit“ on the back truck. Sometimes I get a nice 5-0 but I don‘t even know what I did differently on those.
why come?

mfweeno

« Reply #1167 on: April 06, 2023, 07:13:56 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can get into the trick correctly but mostly immediately after the back truck hits the ledge or after a few inches of grinding I shift my weight unconsciously  and get down to 50 50 the rest of the ledge. This happens no matter how hard I try to „sit“ on the back truck. Sometimes I get a nice 5-0 but I don‘t even know what I did differently on those.

Have you tried tail-scraping the 5-0 to really get a feel for shifting the weight to the back foot? Sometimes when I'm warming up 5-0s, I will do a few with a full tail scrape, then try to make them more balanced on just the back truck.

As far as mental "cues" go, I just try to ollie like a normal 50-50, then bias all my weight onto the back foot and "heel lock" my back wheel into the ledge.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1168 on: April 06, 2023, 12:12:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Have you tried tail-scraping the 5-0 to really get a feel for shifting the weight to the back foot? Sometimes when I'm warming up 5-0s, I will do a few with a full tail scrape, then try to make them more balanced on just the back truck.

As far as mental "cues" go, I just try to ollie like a normal 50-50, then bias all my weight onto the back foot and "heel lock" my back wheel into the ledge.

Heel lock you say... hmm...
why come?

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1169 on: April 06, 2023, 12:51:48 PM »
Met two dudes at the park. Both in skinny jeans, one pushed mongo, the other had non-abrasive grip. They agreed on && as their favorite skater.

And, contrary to popular belief here on Slap, I still had no problem having an awesome session with them. Be nice, give props and almost everybody's gonna return the favor.
Learned BS noseslide shuvit outs on a tiny downledge and got extremely close to rolling away with a bigspin out. Easter weekend is 4 days long here and I'm pretty sure I'll get it tomorrow. Life's good.