Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 64378 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1260 on: May 02, 2023, 02:04:38 PM »
Twisted my ankle on a heel flip (what else) but could continue. Hopefully it won‘t be too bad tomorrow, weather forecast is nice.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1261 on: May 02, 2023, 03:26:18 PM »
Had a good late night sesh on Saturday night. Lein to tails on the 6' QP are becoming easier and quicker (still not that HULK SMASH type of tail smack yet....), kinda figuring out baby body jars, had a fun early grab shitshow with a friend (early lein, early indy, early indy to tail).

Local shop owner shows up to toss product for tricks so I threw a few runs out. Ended up getting FS slash back to fakie on the 6', got tossed a tee shirt, tried to put the tee on mid-line, ended with a hit on the next QP with a back D revert with the shirt half on. Left the park with a shop tee and a smile.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

OhioGuy

• Rep: 64
« Reply #1262 on: May 05, 2023, 03:55:04 PM »
Been pushing myself to progress and recording a lot and it has me a burned out. I’m coming up on a year of doing this. Do y’all just skate for months sometimes without getting clips?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1263 on: May 05, 2023, 04:29:00 PM »
Been pushing myself to progress and recording a lot and it has me a burned out. I’m coming up on a year of doing this. Do y’all just skate for months sometimes without getting clips?
Absolutely. I don't usually feel like trying hard enough to film anything that I'd be surprised about or fully stoked on. Most sessions are me skating around doing go-to's with a couple hail marys or some workshopping.

But then I land something rad and I'm like, "damn, wish that was recorded". I try not to get hung up on it and just flow.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

OhioGuy

« Reply #1264 on: May 05, 2023, 04:45:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Absolutely. I don't usually feel like trying hard enough to film anything that I'd be surprised about or fully stoked on. Most sessions are me skating around doing go-to's with a couple hail marys or some workshopping.

But then I land something rad and I'm like, "damn, wish that was recorded". I try not to get hung up on it and just flow.
That’s what I’m going to try and do. Also, things never look as cool as they feel for me lol. So it’s best to focus on the feeling instead of how I look.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1265 on: May 05, 2023, 10:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
That’s what I’m going to try and do. Also, things never look as cool as they feel for me lol. So it’s best to focus on the feeling instead of how I look.

When I got back to skating in 2020 I pretty much filmed everything because I made so much progress and also was stoked to just being able to do it. Coming from the 90s where not many dudes had the equipment this was novel. I put together a few „parts“ demonstrating my progress which has been fun (also the editing part).

Then I hit a point where progress became much slower and it was more about getting more comfortable and consistent with the tricks I had, and yes, at my age, also trying not to lose tricks again. I did learn some new stuff but I have not filmed a clip in eight months. I just felt there was nothing really worth filming I had not already done. What‘s the point in filming another mediocre kickflip or slappy grind when I already have dozens of clips doing just that?

Plus my filmer aka wife got a bit tired of spending her weekends at desolate parking lots, schoolyards and industrial sites. So I just went out skating alone, every day. And it‘s nice.

At this point I am not even sure I am going to film anything anytime soon, although I am slowly getting fakie fs flips dialed so having proof of that would be nice.

Tl;dr short answer yes
why come?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1266 on: May 05, 2023, 11:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

When I got back to skating in 2020 I pretty much filmed everything because I made so much progress and also was stoked to just being able to do it. Coming from the 90s where not many dudes had the equipment this was novel. I put together a few „parts“ demonstrating my progress which has been fun (also the editing part).

Then I hit a point where progress became much slower and it was more about getting more comfortable and consistent with the tricks I had, and yes, at my age, also trying not to lose tricks again. I did learn some new stuff but I have not filmed a clip in eight months. I just felt there was nothing really worth filming I had not already done. What‘s the point in filming another mediocre kickflip or slappy grind when I already have dozens of clips doing just that?

Plus my filmer aka wife got a bit tired of spending her weekends at desolate parking lots, schoolyards and industrial sites. So I just went out skating alone, every day. And it‘s nice.

At this point I am not even sure I am going to film anything anytime soon, although I am slowly getting fakie fs flips dialed so having proof of that would be nice.

Tl;dr short answer yes

Ya know, I feel you on this. Im only filming to see what im doing/whats wrong/needs to be adjusted. Filming mediocre shit is a pain in the butt.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

OhioGuy

« Reply #1267 on: May 06, 2023, 03:37:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Tl;dr short answer yes
Thanks for replying. Part of me wanted to record every session so I could do one of those progress videos, but it’s boring. My skills don’t change drastically from session to session. It takes months to see noticeable improvements.

As the other poster above said, it is cool to see what you’re doing wrong, but after a certain point it becomes a distraction IMHO. I’m older too and the novelty has worn off lol

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #1268 on: May 06, 2023, 11:53:14 AM »
learned how to do varial kickflips today, idk why but they always weirded me out. i hadn't skated in like a week so i told myself i gotta learn something new since i been slackin.

switchfakie

« Reply #1269 on: May 06, 2023, 05:06:54 PM »
skated with the homies

tried back smiths while my one homie did front smiths

i have this problem where my front truck's heelside wheel catches the ledge & i do this shitty tilted 50 grind - feelsbadman

brainwobble

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1270 on: May 06, 2023, 08:08:14 PM »
full body slammed off a two foot ledge doing back fifty - currently skating an 8.25 quasi on indie 139's for some stupid reason. dont wanna go out and buy proper fitting trucks, dont wanna go back to my 9.71 polar with ace standard 55's :(. after the slam, sat down, stared off into the distance, then started trying halfcab crooks on the same ledge. i think these trucks are really fuck my shit up because my board flips out almost everytime i pinch. my fakie flips are choice rn tho. am thinking about investing in thunder 148s but watching too much ben degros has convinced me that they will make my pop decrease. fuck my life

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1271 on: May 06, 2023, 09:42:44 PM »
Went to the schoolyard early and slammed warming up slipping out on a wet spot. Kept on and got my basics and then a very nice fakie fs flip, the newest addition to my shallow bag of flip tricks. Followed by two pretty decent fs 5-0 s on a very low ledge. Rounded of by a nice hi speed ollie up a low but long three stair to no pop ollie down the three on the other side, cue into the sunrise. Nice sesh overall.
why come?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #1272 on: May 07, 2023, 08:23:27 AM »
I had some downtime while visiting someone up north island (Campbell River) last weekend so I decided to check out the skatepark. Most of the obstacles were too big or were like bank to this and that style kinda park shit I hate but there were a few cool sections and obstacles I enjoyed.  Mostly this mellow down ledge I got a few tricks on. Of course, front nose being one of them lol... I also overshot it into a front board once and ate shit incredibly hard. It was a nice place though. Amenities I'm not used to like a station to fill your water bottle with actual cold fresh water and even a frigging charging dock station for ya devices... The locals were all super chill too. I'm used to bad vibes at our local dumpster park but there were so many nice little kids chatting me up it was delightful. Some little dude maybe 13-14 politely came up to me and said "I don't mean to interrupt but I absolutely love your outfit" which kind of made my day despite it only being the "uniform" consisting of some skate baggy Levis pants I copped the other month and a fucking Kirkland Costco white XL white tee which are actually pretty good quality shirts. It was cool to answer their various questions though and ask my own. The first day I went I felt vibed out by the cool guys, but this second sesh I just couldn't stop smiling and trying to hype everyone up and interact with all the young folk and learn what they like and think is cool while sharing my own outdated opinions. It was a surprisingly pleasant session despite me not landing too many tricks. Hoping I can keep that same energy when I go back to my crusty local park full of snobby kooks.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #1273 on: May 07, 2023, 12:19:15 PM »
Pushed around a nearby neighbourhood I’d never explored for a hour looking for spots, found nothing.  Gave me a whole new appreciation for what Chad Caruso’s doing.  Dude’s fucking psycho man that would suck so much lol.

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #1274 on: May 07, 2023, 04:01:25 PM »
Hit a bunch of random cuts on my cruiser and went over the new ground at waller for a bit. Maybe I'll do more this week, the weather's been nice lately.

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

Phillyflared

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1275 on: May 07, 2023, 07:09:37 PM »
Back to my curb spot.
But it was sandblasted and repainted...I guess it's game on then.
Got it started going decently again w/ some wax and metal.
One on these days I'm gonna have to go somewhere else

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1276 on: May 07, 2023, 08:56:51 PM »
 Been hunting down a diy and finally found it. No one had the mile marker… instead its like “3 miles past… green things, 5 of them, go behind…near that place..” incredibly beautiful location and really creative stuff to skate in the middle of nowhere bit close to my crib.

Ate shit 5 times in 15 minites. Almost hit my head 2x. Decided that im not skating a spot like that solo. Went home and iced up

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #1277 on: May 08, 2023, 02:41:24 AM »
Last session was rushed because I had somewhere to be. Had to bounce right when it was getting good. Being a grown-up sucks.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #1278 on: May 08, 2023, 05:13:56 AM »
Skating rules. It’s so fun. I had two good sessions two days in a row which is rare with having a kid and other responsibilities. My last session was at the skatepark but it kind of got cut early because they had a little kid skate class going on. It was cute seeing kids doing the first pushes and stuff though.

vinithebr

• Rep: -21
« Reply #1279 on: May 09, 2023, 05:47:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just figured out proper fs flips, I'm in heaven
[close]

Stoked for you (and jealous). Now you have to tell us how to do them. ;)
[close]

Ty. You know tricks that land far to the side like tre's, it helped me a lot to heavily lean/jump to where it lands, like towards the nose of the board when it's mid trick, feels easier to follow and feel the nose to flick it, I do this for inward heels too.
Other than that I  just needed to try harder. Front foot almost pointing forward, more body spin and  fs pop shuv motion, and that feel of delay before flicking (and down'ish).
Front foot still stops a bit of the nose momentum but the tail goes around
I haven't been skating much cause of my broken finger but I tried fs flips again recently. Updated opinion:
Leaning to the side still helps, leaning back kinda helps too but it makes it hard to land back on the board, maybe the pop can fix it like if you scrape less but idk.
Stopped the forward pointing foot shit and it's easier now, guess it forced my torso to also point that way but that was all

On muska vs not, at first it was halfway and felt pretty good, it was flicking very little and early letting the bent 180 rotate freely, now flicking more and later made it common to land not fully rotated but it feels ok too, and in those cases a good flick is so important
I'm prefering the way it was before but it was inconsistent and I can't be picky

Other than fs flips I did some bs flips, lower and with much less effort than usual, but not rocket, good stuff

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #1280 on: May 09, 2023, 06:02:16 AM »
25 minutes at the local park 2 weeks ago, after maybe skating 1 or 2 times in the last year and the 1st time in probably 8 months. I could still do front rocks, so I'm not complete shit at this point. My life makes me want to drive my car off a bridge, now that's complete shit... Maybe therapy will help today.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #1281 on: May 09, 2023, 06:06:15 AM »
Skated for the first time in about a month because we’ve had spotty weather in upstate ny and I’m trying to buy a house which has been a little stressful. bothered my friend to film a basic line yesterday, Shout out friends.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr_YhgYpCy1/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

switchfakie

« Reply #1282 on: May 09, 2023, 07:12:07 AM »
2.5 hours at the local

nothing was working well

continued back smith attempts. no makes

got a few back 270's on the qp, but fell so many times it didnt even feel good

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #1283 on: May 10, 2023, 11:38:15 AM »
tried to skate in 73 degree weather with a beanie on, didn't end well. lol feel like dog shit now

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1284 on: May 11, 2023, 02:43:54 AM »
Yesterday i went to visit some friends in one other city. They are building a park there and after the work day we had the greatest skate session i had this year. I did one new trick (fs tail blunt on a super low flat bar) and did 2 tricks i havent done in more than 10 years (fs tail slide bigspin out of ledge and fs nose blunt on the low flat bar). I also filmed one line bs flip over the low flatbar, fakie nose grind 180 out on a ledge, crooked on a medium flat bar and a tre flip on flat. It is so good and motivating to skate with the good old fellas. I am super hyped :)

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1285 on: May 11, 2023, 11:30:49 AM »
Went to my local yesterday after work. Humid as hell but that didn't stop me. Decided to get some flatground in and finally started figuring out kickflips again. Heeflips were a battle and I got close but I just had a mental block and had to give it up after a while. Got a few grinds in before I did some fly outs out of the bowl when a couple of dudes show up. We all heckled some rando dude that was revving his clapped out Sentra around the parking lot. Before I left one of the guys filmed a Tik Tok that made him look like he was doing the Skate 3 speed glitch that made me laugh so hard. All in all, not a bad sesh.

switchfakie

« Reply #1286 on: May 11, 2023, 01:43:08 PM »
tre flips, bs flips, impossibles & tranny mostly

learned half cab disaster fakie & tried a bunch of fs tailslides on tranny

really need a new board, but am not willing to do a grip job & dont want to skate without a grip job, so ive resorted to skating my shit soggy board which is way overdue

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1287 on: May 11, 2023, 05:41:37 PM »
Empty b-ball court and paved bike path. Spent the morning pushing switch. Felt good in the mind/body. No room to get lost on the head. Kinda felt like riding a fixie

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1288 on: May 11, 2023, 10:53:26 PM »
Empty b-ball court and paved bike path. Spent the morning pushing switch. Felt good in the mind/body. No room to get lost on the head. Kinda felt like riding a fixie

Beautiful poem.
why come?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #1289 on: May 12, 2023, 02:59:45 PM »
Jumped the fence and skated the LA (Inglewood) pump track. Got an hour session before I got kicked out.