Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 62258 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1290 on: May 12, 2023, 06:09:21 PM »
I got kinda smoked earlier. Like 3rd try. My usual grind. Back 5oh. Im not sure how but i got hung up trying to get out and went to butt then back then back of the head. Slow motion senior skater slam. I stuck it out but kept both trucks on the curb.
Later i was outside the shelter I tried to kickflip 90 to axle set as i arrived. Was gonna put it down bs and in one motion grab my rail and do like a walking half cab into the building to get a plate but I did like a forward flip and got stabbed credit card on my shin full pole vault up the curb. It was like my shin just sacked it because of how vertical the board was

I was thinking about slamming before I popped my tail too. Its just the freestyle walking bit was so clear in my mind I had to do it. There was mad people watching too.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1291 on: May 13, 2023, 12:33:53 AM »
I got kinda smoked earlier. Like 3rd try. My usual grind. Back 5oh. Im not sure how but i got hung up trying to get out and went to butt then back then back of the head. Slow motion senior skater slam. I stuck it out but kept both trucks on the curb.
Later i was outside the shelter I tried to kickflip 90 to axle set as i arrived. Was gonna put it down bs and in one motion grab my rail and do like a walking half cab into the building to get a plate but I did like a forward flip and got stabbed credit card on my shin full pole vault up the curb. It was like my shin just sacked it because of how vertical the board was

I was thinking about slamming before I popped my tail too. Its just the freestyle walking bit was so clear in my mind I had to do it. There was mad people watching too.

Not trying to laugh about other peoples misfortune but picturing this I had to lol.

I‘ve been on holidays for the week and did not skate Monday to Friday so I was anxious I had lost everything because usually I skate everyday. Soon as I got home yesterday and after 5 hours on the road I hopped on the board and went to the parking lot to see if the basics were still there. To my great relief they were. Fun was had.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1292 on: May 13, 2023, 06:07:31 PM »
Picked up a 7.75 for the first time since 99. Caught some slappy noseslides. Pretty chill. Solo sesh at the elementary school.

switchfakie

« Reply #1293 on: May 13, 2023, 08:04:27 PM »
with the homie

tried varial heels and front blunts

was a blast

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1294 on: May 14, 2023, 12:32:56 PM »
Slept 4 hours and went to some spots with my homie.
Got a Kickflip over a flat gap in about 20 tries. (board length, so nothing too crazy).
Accidentally deleted the clip. I am not sure if that is a sign or if I am just dumb. I mean, we all have seen enough Kickflips over flatgaps right?
I need more sleep.
IG: @flowterspace

mfweeno

• Rep: 27
« Reply #1295 on: May 15, 2023, 07:12:46 AM »
I skated both Saturday and Sunday this weekend - I usually only get one or the other.

Spent Saturday's session battling with a ledge for 2 hours. Originally was trying frontside nosegrind nollie shuv out, but called an audible and switched to frontside nosegrind front 180 out. Ended up getting a really clean one on film - first time I've 180'd out of a nosegrind in a long time, and I was stoked on the make.

I didn't sleep very well Saturday night, but Sunday's sesh at the local Team Pain park went surprisingly well despite this and the 2 hour ledge battle the previous day. I warmed up on the manny pad, then did some back 180s down the long/mellow 4 stair after realizing I was still feeling pretty springy. Yesterday was the first time doing anything besides an ollie down a stair set in a good while, nice little confidence boost. Ended up filming a few versions of a two piece line - started with a half cab manual on a down pad, finished with back 180 down the set. Spent the rest of the day eating pizza at the crib.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #1296 on: May 15, 2023, 08:04:20 AM »
Got a Kickflip over a flat gap in about 20 tries. (board length, so nothing too crazy).
Accidentally deleted the clip. I am not sure if that is a sign or if I am just dumb. I mean, we all have seen enough Kickflips over flatgaps right?
I need more sleep.

All clips have worth, if not to everyone else, at least to you. Gotta go back and get it again now :D

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1297 on: May 15, 2023, 09:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I need more sleep.
[close]

All clips have worth, if not to everyone else, at least to you. Gotta go back and get it again now :D

Thanks for the heads up mate, seriously. Maybe I can recover the clip from the SD card, I read that it can be done with some software.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #1298 on: May 15, 2023, 06:29:15 PM »
Really bad. Hot as hell.  The park is turning into dogshit.  Neglect, apathy, drinking and hard drug use.  Idiots moving shit all over the place and fucking up the flow.  People dropping off shitty obstacles everywhere.  I need a new spot.

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

leafman4000

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1299 on: May 15, 2023, 07:19:21 PM »
Had a rough day, so I called up my homie whos just learning how to skate and we went to the curb spot. When we got there, there was this guy already there with a brand new world complete and a fresh pair of filas, and a speaker blasting shitty trap music. Im not to complain about beginners, but me and my homie got super weird vibes from this guy (almost double our age). Both my homie and this other guy are learning 5050s, my friend is slipping out of them, so other guy says "I think its your trucks," we both ignore the comment and hope hed get the message, he doesnt, and the next time my buddy doesnt lock into his 5050 the guy comes up to him looks him dead in the eye, and says "Its your trucks, theyre too worn down" (theyre not, brand new set of indys) so I let him know that was not the case, looking back was probably a dick about it. After that, he proceeds to sit down, pull out a plastic gatorade bottle makeshift bong, fill it with coke zero, and rips 4-6 bowls of gunk ass weed. He then gets onto his skateboard, and pushes around at full speed, stopping by razor tailing the shit out of his board. After 15 mins of that and one or two more bong rips, he then starts shadowbozxing trees and trying to do pullups on treebranches with his feet on the trunk, then starts pacing back and forth, attempts a few gainer flips, then picks up his skateboard and walks of.

Other than that sesh was great. My homie got some nice 5050s, more stoked on watching my homie progress than my own skating tbh
I thought skaters were tough and got laid. Way off

Fasttimes

• Rep: -22
« Reply #1300 on: May 15, 2023, 07:30:24 PM »
Had a rough day, so I called up my homie whos just learning how to skate and we went to the curb spot. When we got there, there was this guy already there with a brand new world complete and a fresh pair of filas, and a speaker blasting shitty trap music. Im not to complain about beginners, but me and my homie got super weird vibes from this guy (almost double our age). Both my homie and this other guy are learning 5050s, my friend is slipping out of them, so other guy says "I think its your trucks," we both ignore the comment and hope hed get the message, he doesnt, and the next time my buddy doesnt lock into his 5050 the guy comes up to him looks him dead in the eye, and says "Its your trucks, theyre too worn down" (theyre not, brand new set of indys) so I let him know that was not the case, looking back was probably a dick about it. After that, he proceeds to sit down, pull out a plastic gatorade bottle makeshift bong, fill it with coke zero, and rips 4-6 bowls of gunk ass weed. He then gets onto his skateboard, and pushes around at full speed, stopping by razor tailing the shit out of his board. After 15 mins of that and one or two more bong rips, he then starts shadowbozxing trees and trying to do pullups on treebranches with his feet on the trunk, then starts pacing back and forth, attempts a few gainer flips, then picks up his skateboard and walks of.

Other than that sesh was great. My homie got some nice 5050s, more stoked on watching my homie progress than my own skating tbh

Move now. Sorry dude. I'm polite but he's making spot hot. Darnn sorry. Buy wax move on.

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1301 on: May 15, 2023, 10:46:46 PM »
skated only for like half an hour today, part cause of the broken finger, some days fs flip works some it doesn't. Today the flick was either stopping the board or not touching it at all. I gave up at some point and just practiced some back 180s and front pop shuvs for a while, basics I have but am not comfortable with

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1302 on: May 18, 2023, 07:10:59 AM »
Bittersweet.

It‘s a bank holiday so I went to a bank spot that is a bust on business days and had a good session but when I tried to ollie the hip as last trick I got smoked and probably almost broke a leg. Limping now but hope it‘ll be ok tomorrow.
why come?

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1303 on: May 18, 2023, 07:26:23 AM »
i was done skating for the day so needed to do a kickflip to leave but when i landed i landed like on my back toe kind of and my foot slipped out of my shoe and my toe caught on the pavement and it got twisted real hard.

That was like almost 4 weeks ago and it still hurts to bend it much. Super bummed cause it just turned springtime and nice to skate weather and I'm just benched. I've been skating a little bit here and there but I'm starting to think I fractured it instead of just twisted and I'm going to stay off the board for good just so I don't spend the rest of the year in a limbo state.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #1304 on: May 18, 2023, 01:44:09 PM »
Never ever go to a new skatepark 1 day after opening on a sunny holiday.. What was I thinking..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1305 on: May 18, 2023, 02:47:33 PM »
I was hella excited about today. Big crew and skating street spots in Berlin. We were 9 guys, which is a bit too much for me usually. And I think the eggs in the morning were bad. Spent 1 hour on a public toilet and puked on the full Alexanderplatz. By the time I got to the spot, 6 guys were gone to another spot and only my two homies were still there. I don't know if a smaller crew is better for me or if my stomach felt better, but then everything was better for me. Even learned a new trick today, bs tail stall bs revert and filmed two little clips. Weird day but I was happy to be outside and skating. Starting to feel old in the legs.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1306 on: May 18, 2023, 03:00:56 PM »
Went to try and hammer out a 360 flip on my lunch break. Started off on a whim, just tossing em out everywhere while I pushed around - on flat, out of a bank, into a bank, etc. Kinda thought I would catch a break and they would just work on something, but no dice. Felt pretty off the mark on most attempts.

Got frustrated easier than I should have, but the sun was super hot and I had hopes of snagging a quick on... ended up in a battle and had to stop to get back to work...

How often do you guys have workshop sessions vs go-to sessions? It's probably worth my time to incorporate both into more sessions, but the last thing I wanna do after shredding the park/spot is try and whiff a 360 flip....

mfweeno

« Reply #1307 on: May 18, 2023, 03:27:59 PM »
Went to try and hammer out a 360 flip on my lunch break. Started off on a whim, just tossing em out everywhere while I pushed around - on flat, out of a bank, into a bank, etc. Kinda thought I would catch a break and they would just work on something, but no dice. Felt pretty off the mark on most attempts.

Got frustrated easier than I should have, but the sun was super hot and I had hopes of snagging a quick on... ended up in a battle and had to stop to get back to work...

How often do you guys have workshop sessions vs go-to sessions? It's probably worth my time to incorporate both into more sessions, but the last thing I wanna do after shredding the park/spot is try and whiff a 360 flip....
I can relate to a lot of things in this post, especially battling tricks in the heat and racing the clock before/in the middle of work. I like the "workshop" versus "go-to" session distinction too - I think every skater knows the difference.

I skate primarily in the mornings before work. Up until recently, I have had a very "workshop" oriented attitude towards my morning sessions. I'll warm up somewhat quickly, then spend most of the session trying to perfect a challenging single trick or a combo of medium-difficulty tricks I've decided on while warming up.

Living in "workshop" mode has definitely re-honed my skills and helped me get back to my previous skate ability, but it is REALLY frustrating when things aren't working out. It can feel like I've pissed away my skate time if most of the session is just bails. I've been running up against this frustration more often than not lately, which is probably a sign I need to shift into more of a "go-to" perspective with my sessions and let things progress more organically.

To answer your question, I have more "workshop" sessions than "go-to" sessions personally, but I'm thinking I need to change my approach a bit.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1308 on: May 18, 2023, 03:46:04 PM »
Omg guys I j Nollie treyed over the heathdrent but right when I landed it my filmer dropped camera and missed it then got ran over by car
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1309 on: May 18, 2023, 03:47:30 PM »
Omg guys I j Nollie treyed over the heathdrent but right when I landed it my filmer dropped camera and missed it then got ran over by car
Probably wasn't even first try smh

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1310 on: May 18, 2023, 11:59:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I can relate to a lot of things in this post, especially battling tricks in the heat and racing the clock before/in the middle of work. I like the "workshop" versus "go-to" session distinction too - I think every skater knows the difference.

I skate primarily in the mornings before work. Up until recently, I have had a very "workshop" oriented attitude towards my morning sessions. I'll warm up somewhat quickly, then spend most of the session trying to perfect a challenging single trick or a combo of medium-difficulty tricks I've decided on while warming up.

Living in "workshop" mode has definitely re-honed my skills and helped me get back to my previous skate ability, but it is REALLY frustrating when things aren't working out. It can feel like I've pissed away my skate time if most of the session is just bails. I've been running up against this frustration more often than not lately, which is probably a sign I need to shift into more of a "go-to" perspective with my sessions and let things progress more organically.

To answer your question, I have more "workshop" sessions than "go-to" sessions personally, but I'm thinking I need to change my approach a bit.

For one year I had almost only go to sessions, then I realised I did not make progress (who would have thought but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed).

Now I have a schedule ( https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125520.msg3967687#msg3967687) with only one pure go to day (flip day), opposed to one flatground workshop (new trick day), one flatbar day and one ledge day where I will do my go tos quickly but then try to get new stuff in these surroundings. Plus every Sunday I slappy.

So it‘s essentially one pure go to sesh against three workshops, one rest day, and one sesh (mostly on Saturdays) where I will go to different spots. This has turned out to be banks mostly. Plus slappy Sundays.

I’ve followed this routine now for three months and so far I added two flip tricks (before that I had three) and switch front 180s to my bag, and am getting close to bs lipslides on the flatbar. Also improved my bs 50/50 game on the ledges considerably.

Tl;dr workshop sessions are important for progress.

Edit: no sesh today as yesterday I twisted my leg.
why come?

mfweeno

« Reply #1311 on: May 19, 2023, 07:51:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For one year I had almost only go to sessions, then I realised I did not make progress (who would have thought but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed).

Now I have a schedule ( https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125520.msg3967687#msg3967687) with only one pure go to day (flip day), opposed to one flatground workshop (new trick day), one flatbar day and one ledge day where I will do my go tos quickly but then try to get new stuff in these surroundings. Plus every Sunday I slappy.

So it‘s essentially one pure go to sesh against three workshops, one rest day, and one sesh (mostly on Saturdays) where I will go to different spots. This has turned out to be banks mostly. Plus slappy Sundays.

I’ve followed this routine now for three months and so far I added two flip tricks (before that I had three) and switch front 180s to my bag, and am getting close to bs lipslides on the flatbar. Also improved my bs 50/50 game on the ledges considerably.

Tl;dr workshop sessions are important for progress.

Edit: no sesh today as yesterday I twisted my leg.
Hope your leg feels better man!

I dig the structure of your weekly skate routine - I might need to try something similar.

I skated a-frame/QP/a-frame park for the 3rd morning in a row. "Workshop" day, focused specifically on this line:

BS Flip a-frame - fakie pivot rock to fakie - Halfcab flip a-frame

The main thing I wanted to accomplish was a solid pop on both flip tricks - my half cab flips tend to become rocket flops when I focus too much on the turn from fakie. Landed a bunch of mediocre ones, then got one I liked. Did a few "go-to" lines with the remaining time I had.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #1312 on: May 20, 2023, 06:21:55 PM »
Drove around for awhile looking for some smooth, secluded pavement, that wasn’t in a wind tunnel, to post up and skate the box I just built.  Ended up at the church near my place I passed on the first time around. 

Realized that making the bottom of the box flat was dumb, because there’s too much surface contact with the ground for it to stay sturdy in place, so I’ll have to screw a couple wood strips on each end.

Skated for maybe half an hour, thought I was going to have a heart attack, and got sad that I’ve lost all muscle memory and can barely ollie anymore let alone pop into a grind.  Hopefully it’ll start coming back to me.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #1313 on: May 21, 2023, 08:48:50 AM »
Last few sessions were rough. Did my best impression of Donny Barley in EE3 and lost a piece of front tooth after smashing my face on the ground. Got kinda lucky by not cracking it completely but damn, that scared the shit out of me. Hearing your own tooth crack on asphalt is pretty horrible. Following session took me to regain confidence and was not very exciting. Next session started off great but next thing I know I roll my weak ankle trying to 5-0 a round skatepark rail. What a fucking stupid idea, I had never done that trick before and should have known my limits. Hope to get back on board this week. Hope you guys can avoid injuries...

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #1314 on: May 21, 2023, 10:10:47 AM »
Had a good initial start on some curbs, then some stairs, but as always couldn't handle my stupid desires and ended up retreating into a bush and beating my meat. Couldn't skate after that.

Fucks sake, this always happens

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1315 on: May 21, 2023, 11:25:25 PM »
Took my son to my local for skate school in the morning, followed by a quick 1 hour sesh where everyone else can skate the park. My day would usually finish there, but wifey is super into roller-skating at the moment so went to a street spot in the afternoon. Didn't think I'd be able to pull off two sessions (esp. with lunch in between) because I'm an old man, but the second sesh wasn't too bad either, got a second wind and had a lot of fun. Feeling extra decrepit today though...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Brad Wesley

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1316 on: May 22, 2023, 03:13:00 AM »
Haven't skated in a while so I took it easy, just rolling through the streets and doing a few kickturns on a nearby bank spot. Then I made the mistake of trying to cross some rail tracks and got pitched hard onto the pavement, scraping my elbow, knee, wrist, and bruising the palms of my hands. I spent a few minutes limping around in pain, feeling like an idiot who should have quit years ago. Once the kneecap pain wore off enough that I could push again, I managed to do a boardslide on a double-sided curb and decided that qualified as a victory, so I headed home. Now the real soreness has set in and I'm hobbling around, wincing anytime I have to sit down or stand up. I should be ready to skate again sometime in 2027.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1317 on: May 22, 2023, 04:01:54 AM »
This weekend we had this annual city festival of the humour and satire. There was a march with crazy costumes and big puppets making fun of politicians. The evening there was a show of ice mc and 2 unlimited :) crazy shit over here, it was like the summer of  95 haha  now about the session - on saturday some people from Stinky socks were here (coz the owners are from this city and the team is currently on a bulgarian tour) and we had a session together. Shredmaster Keith was with the team and it was nice to watch some quality skating live. I did one line and their camerman asked me to film it, but when we started filming i kind of stuck and didn't do it after 100 tries. This was a bummer but the next morning when i was skating, i kind of did the line (but changed one of the tricks). A friend filmed it with a phone and i decide to  collect some clips for my 40 birthday. In the evening i had 2nd session for the day with the local youth and filmed 3 more clips and got a dopamine rush.  Today i am paying the price for the intense weekend skating and my body is fuckin sore.
 edit: grammar
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:23:15 AM by El Freegano »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1318 on: May 22, 2023, 06:02:19 AM »
Been trying full cab flips on the hip on and off for the past few sessions. Yesterday I happened to land one sorta quick but it was kinda sketch, so I set my camera up to try and redo it and ended up wasting so much time to no avail. I'm exhausted the morning after but now I have a one track mind to go try it some more, haha.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1319 on: May 22, 2023, 07:09:04 PM »
Due to work and family obligations and not having a board i haven’t been able to skate for a month. Had to have my warm up sesh with brand new cupsoles and spent an hour breaking them in skating flat but felt terrible.

Next day was raining but I had the day off so I went out to the closest bridged area, found a ~15’ corridor of dry flatground and skated flat for like three hours at a pretty mellow pace. Had a great time. Shoes still nowhere near broken in but I had my board control back and felt like I made some progress on my staples. One of those days where you feel great about skating.

Was feeling really good walking home. Headed down a pretty dark, quiet backstreet not really paying that much attention to the guy walking across the street. I cross to stop at a deli and we’re about five feet away from each other but I haven’t really taken a good gander at him. He jumps into a power stance and goes “what are you doing back over here?!?” I look at him and see him brandishing a fuckin machete, my brain stops for a tenth of a second and I turn around and fuckin bolt the other way, backpack and all. I hear him laughing and yelling “it’s fake it’s fake”, I turn around and he’s bending it on the ground and I run back over and we immediately both start fucking dying laughing and dapping each other up. He found it just lying on the ground like thirty feet away and picked it up for fun. I can’t explain it but the adrenal dump and sense of relief from not dying in a machete attack made it the funniest thing ever even though I hate shitty pranks like that. Hope to run into him again one day assuming he doesn’t get shot by the police