Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 62272 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 231
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1320 on: May 23, 2023, 02:37:06 AM »
For months, I looked forward to skating a dope ass park while on a work trip. Got there and it was empty. 20 mins into the session and my small toe on front foot is throbbing. I was in town for a week and couldn’t skate because of the pain. Fucking lame.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1321 on: May 23, 2023, 08:52:35 AM »
Apparently I've been making enemies this week....

Last Friday I was skating around while my SO was walking the baby in the stroller. I take an offshoot to ride this rock spot consisting of 3 rock gaps in a row. I was doing this small line of wallie up the rock to kickflip this "hip". I get a few tries in and notice this guy walking with intent to the spot. I take another run, miss the kickflip and push down the road cause I surely didn't want to talk to him. He calls out "HEY COME HERE", I look back all skeptical and keep riding away. The guy is actively following me now telling me to stop. So I rubberneck and give him the double middle fingers and snake away through the neighborhood.

The next day, damn near the same spot, this kid says he hopes I eat shit. So I tell him "I hope you watch your mom get fucked tonight".

Then, yesterday, at the local park, this chick who's getting half decent at skating gets on my shit about "you're riding the park so much better than me! what the fuck, you're just better than everyone?!" Idk wtf that was about, not sure if was taking her lines or cutting her off accidentally, but damn bro, I'm not gonna slow down just cause you can't keep up. Or if was being snakey and didn't realize, be straight up and tell me to watch out.

I also tried to front blunt a Target complete mini HotWheels board ala Chris Haslam. I don't even know how to FS Blunt....

snotbukkake

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1322 on: May 23, 2023, 09:11:42 AM »
Had a late night sesh in the freezing cold last night, wanted to learn some new things but did fuck all because my anxiety got the best of me and then I'm pretty sure I broke my toe doing a fs pop shuv on flat.. A trick I usually have on lock too lmao, landed right on my toes and one bent the wrong way.

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1323 on: May 24, 2023, 03:26:24 AM »
https://i.imgur.com/ktzNwut.mp4
Still practicing fs flips when I can. Too shove-y? but it feels p good not to power slide half the trick.
I need to lean back less, but without fucking the trick up which is the problem. Landing far to the side doesn't bother me.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #1324 on: May 24, 2023, 07:11:12 PM »
Swept up a bunch of chalky sandy shit at the park and mooched drinks from the young bucks. Everyone was skating hard it was a good session overall. A crew of 3 little kids with skateboards rolled up and were cheering everyone on for basically every trick they landed it was funny and cool to see but they had a bag of spitz and left a pile of sunflower seed shells all over the place :(

Still ain't got tailslides to regs but can basically lock in every time now and just slip out to fakie or stick. I know I could do them to fakie but then I got no trick switch or fakie backside on the end of the ledge... My shoulders are stupid and won't listen. Gonna get one this evening though. Locked into a Nikolai Piombo fs 5-0 by accident too it felt pretty cool.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #1325 on: May 24, 2023, 07:49:00 PM »
Went to skatepark. Had nice sesh. Then made my body very sore trying to get a dialed in 360 flip on flat for like 1hr lol. Got it tho..

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1326 on: May 24, 2023, 08:07:36 PM »
Just spent a few hr mostly pushing switch. Kick turns both bs and fs. Kinda powerslides

Feels real good to learn a whole new side of movement
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1327 on: May 24, 2023, 10:01:27 PM »
Went to the park because it’s the closest rain spot, tried to warm up, five minutes in and some kid is looking around the benches with his phone flashlight. Asks me if I’ve seen some car keys. I say no and start helping him and his friends look for the keys. After checking the perimeter of the park and seating areas I was kinda thinking wtf am I supposed to do now just skate around the park with my phone flashlight. Did just that, I felt bad because they were teenagers and it was supposedly gonna be $450 for the replacement, had to show some sympathy for him and they seemed nice. I only had about an hour to skate and I was like 20mins deep at this point. I start trying to skate a little bit and give up on the keys because I don’t want to waste my session. Felt like a very demoralizing move because I pretty much acknowledged defeat in that moment. The guys kept looking for like another half hour. The actual (former) key holder had started throwing tantrums at that point, banging his board on the rails and yelling swear words (no judgment I would probably do the same and you never know peoples financial situations) so I kinda act oblivious and deaf. They end up leaving when I’m texting (I guess it was in the car or something). I’m relieved and skate around and notice someone TOOK THE FUCKKNG TOP OF ONE OF THE BOXES OFF IN THE FIVE MINUTES I WAS SMOKING AND TEXTING MY BOO THANG. I WAS LIKE FIFTEEN FEET AWAY

After they left I randomly popped the best feeling kick flip of my life randomly, just set up crouched and blasted it as high as I can Ollie, flicked like straight up caught it coming up just like the best flick I’ve ever had in my life and I just underrotated it a bit and stomped it early because I wasn’t even prepared for it to go that high. It was amazing and cyrusesque. I just left after because I wanted to go out on a good note and I didn’t even care if I didn’t actually get it

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1328 on: May 24, 2023, 10:15:34 PM »
Tried to skate after I twisted/bruised my ankle last thursday. Turns out I can pop but not flick. I am bummed because I feel it‘s going to take a while to heal up. On the other hand at least I can manny, slappy, and do some low level grinds and slides (all my grinds and slides are low level anyway).

Now the question: is it ok to skate with this ankle aka will it still fully heal if I continue to skate or should I take a full break instead to speed up the healing process?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1329 on: May 24, 2023, 11:01:54 PM »
Tried to skate after I twisted/bruised my ankle last thursday. Turns out I can pop but not flick. I am bummed because I feel it‘s going to take a while to heal up. On the other hand at least I can manny, slappy, and do some low level grinds and slides (all my grinds and slides are low level anyway).

Now the question: is it ok to skate with this ankle aka will it still fully heal if I continue to skate or should I take a full break instead to speed up the healing process?

As long as you don't feel noticeably worse the day after you should be good to go. Any movement that doesn't
 aggravate the symptoms is generally a good thing and will aid the healing process.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #1330 on: May 25, 2023, 12:58:30 AM »
Skated the chill 10 degree bank at my local for 45 mins, got a couple new makes on it...why are bigspins so easy on flat but such a headf**k on a bank lol?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1331 on: May 25, 2023, 03:10:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As long as you don't feel noticeably worse the day after you should be good to go. Any movement that doesn't
 aggravate the symptoms is generally a good thing and will aid the healing process.

Thanks bro.
why come?

ASS FAULT

• Rep: -32
« Reply #1332 on: May 25, 2023, 08:20:34 AM »
It sucked.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #1333 on: May 25, 2023, 09:38:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry to hear your ankle is injured. I have to disagree with the previous post. Worst decision I have ever made regarding physical health was to not let my rolled ankle heal properly when I was 15 years old. I skated switch all the time, it didnt hurt, but the ankle never really healed. My ligaments are superloose ever since. Give it a lot of rest is my advice.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
« Reply #1334 on: May 25, 2023, 10:05:46 AM »
So the park that I normally frequent is situated behind this Minor League baseball stadium that only has one way in and out and apparently there was some sort of gas line explosion like 15 minutes before I rolled up so both entrances were blocked by police cruisers. Said fuck it and decided to drive towards a park that was about 10 miles away.

Show up at the other park and start going through my flatground tricks. My board is pretty flimsy and I can feel it flex when trying nollie tricks. I had watched Patrick Praman's rough cut before leaving the house so I started working on getting my nollie back heels like his. Got super close to one but got major wheel bite. On the next go, I popped it, caught it perfectly and tried to stomp it and broke the nose clean through.

Luckily I had an extra board in the car that was in slightly better shape than the one I broke. Switched it out and went back into the park. The "n" word crew that I mentioned in the nickname thread are now there. Went back to trying the nollie back heel and got it in about 10 tries. Shortly after this, a few black dudes rolled up and started rolling around the park. The "n" word crew didn't bother to tone down their BS and got called out hard by one of the black dudes.  They were all pretty quiet after that. Hopefully they learned their lesson.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1335 on: May 25, 2023, 02:27:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sorry to hear your ankle is injured. I have to disagree with the previous post. Worst decision I have ever made regarding physical health was to not let my rolled ankle heal properly when I was 15 years old. I skated switch all the time, it didnt hurt, but the ankle never really healed. My ligaments are superloose ever since. Give it a lot of rest is my advice.

I agree there. Did the same when I was 16 and my right ankle just feels weird on some days. And I usually wear a ankle brace when I skate.

@devils acrobat are you doing some kind of exercises to strenghten the ankle?

@Easy Slider get well soon and search the internet for good exercises
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1336 on: May 25, 2023, 02:54:39 PM »
Cheers bruhs.
why come?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1337 on: May 25, 2023, 03:03:30 PM »
Just spent a few hr mostly pushing switch. Kick turns both bs and fs. Kinda powerslides

Man I attempted this last night and fell pushing switch twice, laughed and then gave up. Swongo for life... Thankfully no one was there. I mean I probably wouldn't have even tried it if other people were there. Worked on all the pop shove variations switch reg fakie nollie. Got one booty ass tail slide to regular to tictac then worked on trying to front nose a whole block (10-15 feet?) on the ledge til it got dark.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #1338 on: May 25, 2023, 03:19:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man I attempted this last night and fell pushing switch twice, laughed and then gave up. Swongo for life... Thankfully no one was there. I mean I probably wouldn't have even tried it if other people were there. Worked on all the pop shove variations switch reg fakie nollie. Got one booty ass tail slide to regular to tictac then worked on trying to front nose a whole block (10-15 feet?) on the ledge til it got dark.

Ive been at it a couple weeks now and the pushing and cruising is getting easier. Its how im starting every session. Its a nice way to warm up, actually waking up my tired ass right leg as skating goofy is like doing a ton of 1 legged semi-squats. To avoid the skating like a 38 year old grom getting in everyones way at the spot, i just got push around town, fortunate to have a paved bike path for part of it.

I really just want to get proficient and comfortable enough to do various 180s and slides and continue going forward at speed, continuing  to push in either stance without having to revert back to regs while skating around. I never even spent time trying to learn switch tricks in the past, so its all brand new and fun as shit
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Phillyflared

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1339 on: May 25, 2023, 07:28:21 PM »
Took my son out for an event here last weekend where the city closes off a street from all bus/car traffic and encourage people to come out and ride bikes, skate, roller skate, etc..We pushed for a good long time and checked it out before heading back home. Went and skated "my" curb spot and had surprisingly good session. Thought my legs would be dead.

Woke up on Sun not really all that sore, super surprising for my old ass. Went on the hunt for new flatground/curb spot as the building where "my" curb spot is re-painted the curb red on back to back weekends. Funny enough they either didn't see the 3 other waxed up curbs I have going there but it's starting to feel like the block is hot...so to speak

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1340 on: May 25, 2023, 07:43:05 PM »
Pushing switch always felt ok to me, but just pushing

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1341 on: May 26, 2023, 05:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I agree there. Did the same when I was 16 and my right ankle just feels weird on some days. And I usually wear a ankle brace when I skate.

I appreciate you guys' anecdotes and I'm sorry you're continuing to experience discomfort. I've got a bit of experience in this field (5+ years of coaching multi-sport athletes), so I'd like to elaborate my point a little more:

Scientific data very clearly shows that zero movement is not the way to go in terms of recovery. This line of thinking has been outdated for decades by now, the overwhelming consensus is that movement aids recovery - as long as the intensity doesn't exceed the body's current limits (I can point to literally dozens of metaanalyses if you guys are into scientific literature at all). I think that's where you guys' experience might have turned so negative. I probably wasn't clear enough about that in my initial post, but I did state Easy should avoid overdoing it. What that exactly means is very individual and can't be generalized. Symptoms can vary greatly even with something as basic as an ankle roll, so it's not helpful to make blanket statements about which type of skating would be ok and which wouldn't. Of course one should proceed with caution and err on the safe side, but I've got to know Easy as very reasonable person on here, so I figured that was a given. I wasn't trying to downplay any injuries, and I didn't mean to encourage anybody to overstrain themselves after getting hurt. Nonetheless, as long as the symptoms aren't exacerbated by it, movement, of which skating is one, is a net positive.

@Easy Slider Here's a very good, comprehensive article on the subject by a source I can vouch for: https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/how-to-manage-an-ankle-sprain/

Hope you're shredding again in no time!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1342 on: May 26, 2023, 12:41:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I appreciate you guys' anecdotes and I'm sorry you're continuing to experience discomfort. I've got a bit of experience in this field (5+ years of coaching multi-sport athletes), so I'd like to elaborate my point a little more:

Scientific data very clearly shows that zero movement is not the way to go in terms of recovery. This line of thinking has been outdated for decades by now, the overwhelming consensus is that movement aids recovery - as long as the intensity doesn't exceed the body's current limits (I can point to literally dozens of metaanalyses if you guys are into scientific literature at all). I think that's where you guys' experience might have turned so negative. I probably wasn't clear enough about that in my initial post, but I did state Easy should avoid overdoing it. What that exactly means is very individual and can't be generalized. Symptoms can vary greatly even with something as basic as an ankle roll, so it's not helpful to make blanket statements about which type of skating would be ok and which wouldn't. Of course one should proceed with caution and err on the safe side, but I've got to know Easy as very reasonable person on here, so I figured that was a given. I wasn't trying to downplay any injuries, and I didn't mean to encourage anybody to overstrain themselves after getting hurt. Nonetheless, as long as the symptoms aren't exacerbated by it, movement, of which skating is one, is a net positive.

@Easy Slider Here's a very good, comprehensive article on the subject by a source I can vouch for: https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/how-to-manage-an-ankle-sprain/

Hope you're shredding again in no time!

Cheers my friend and thanks for the nice words - not sure they are true, tho. I had a flatbar session and think I did a bit too much. It's hard to stay reasonable as I am used to persevere until I get a trick. Now I am forced to stop when I feel the foot has had enough for the day even if I am not where I wanted to be. I know it's the only way and will stick to flatground mannies and low level curb / flatbar action.
why come?

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1343 on: May 26, 2023, 01:57:32 PM »

https://skateboardstrength.com/ankle-guide-for-skateboarders/
This program definitely helped me when i hurt my tendons a couple of weeks ago.
as for my last session i did one manual at a super crusty spot and later i got the varial heel almost every try when using the nose as a tail. Now the weather got shitty and it is gonna be rainy for a week.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #1344 on: May 27, 2023, 10:43:29 AM »
Does popping my kiddo in his joggy stroller and shaloming over to 7-11 count? Cuz it was pretty rad

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #1345 on: May 27, 2023, 10:59:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn, hadn't seen the mention until now, sorry for the delayed reply. I am also skating with a bracelet on. I have tried many things in my mid 30ies but never made a full-on effort to strengthen it to the point where I would feel safe. Maybe I should get into it again with the advice posted here. Are you doing something @fs1/2cab

Also big @Scab for the detailed response. The way you explained it makes a lot of sense, I guess many people overdo it during recovery just like myself.

Phillyflared

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1346 on: May 27, 2023, 11:10:21 AM »
Does popping my kiddo in his joggy stroller and shaloming over to 7-11 count? Cuz it was pretty rad
Yo 100% it does
Anytime you get to push if you have stroller age kids is a gift

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1347 on: May 27, 2023, 12:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote
I got kinda smoked earlier. Like 3rd try. My usual grind. Back 5oh. Im not sure how but i got hung up trying to get out and went to butt then back then back of the head. Slow motion senior skater slam. I stuck it out but kept both trucks on the curb.
Later i was outside the shelter I tried to kickflip 90 to axle set as i arrived. Was gonna put it down bs and in one motion grab my rail and do like a walking half cab into the building to get a plate but I did like a forward flip and got stabbed credit card on my shin full pole vault up the curb. It was like my shin just sacked it because of how vertical the board was

I was thinking about slamming before I popped my tail too. Its just the freestyle walking bit was so clear in my mind I had to do it. There was mad people watching too.
[close]

Not trying to laugh about other peoples misfortune but picturing this I had to lol.

I‘ve been on holidays for the week and did not skate Monday to Friday so I was anxious I had lost everything because usually I skate everyday. Soon as I got home yesterday and after 5 hours on the road I hopped on the board and went to the parking lot to see if the basics were still there. To my great relief they were. Fun was had.

I giggled a bit too. I love walking like I'm still skating.

I wanna be like the Ishod of walking fancy.

All low and snapping my fingers like I'm in Westside Story and shit.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1348 on: May 27, 2023, 12:07:41 PM »
with the homie

tried varial heels and front blunts

was a blast

I'd like to see you mix those tricks. That would be sick.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1349 on: May 27, 2023, 02:25:51 PM »
Had an epic 30 minute session at the pier while the sun was setting a couple days ago. Got a nice kickflip, pop shove and bs 180 over these grate things while some hippie lady was hand drumming to Stairway to Heaven on her Bluetooth speaker lol.  Got my noseslide tricks on the benches then peaced out victoriously. Gotta quit when you're ahead sometimes.

I must have gotten some shit in my eye when I was sweeping the skatepark the other day cause it was bugging me for a day or two after and yesterday I woke up with my eye full of blood and just oozing shit. Doctor said my eye is scratched but not on the cornea at least and have to take a few days off cause it's really uncomfortable and I don't want to make it any worse. Sucks cause I was on a roll skating everyday and feeling like my basic tricks were improving. Now I'm looking like Forest Whitaker with a bloody eye.