Author Topic: my footage looks bad on YouTube & I need advice  (Read 753 times)

minerals

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
my footage looks bad on YouTube & I need advice
« on: January 25, 2021, 09:52:11 AM »
Apologies for creating a whole topic but I've had enough of my footage looking so bad on YouTube (& also instagram too) & I really just need someone to slap me in the face with some knowledge and do me a solid and school me on this.

I use Final Cut X although I do have Premiere too. I film with a vx1000. Got quite a powerful MacBook Pro 2019 etc. My footage looks great in Final Cut but soon as it leaves it looks bad and and on YouTube, even worse. My yt - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmZvFrMwT1BQTI4-OoZzDw  insta @gunn__shots

I have HandBrake & mpegstreamclip but this is where I need the help - people have given me settings in the past & still it looks bad. I feel like there's a secret I don''t know about. Lol. Or something I'm missing. Any advice on this would be great & appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:50:39 PM by minerals »

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
Re: my footage looks bad on YouTube & I need help lol
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 12:00:00 PM »
Apologies for creating a whole topic but I've had enough of my footage looking so bad on YouTube (& also instagram too) & I really just need someone to slap me in the face with some knowledge and do me a solid and school me on this.

I use Final Cut X although I do have Premiere too. I film with a vx1000. Got quite a powerful MacBook Pro 2019 etc. My footage looks great in Final Cut but soon as it leaves it looks bad and and on YouTube, even worse. My yt - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmZvFrMwT1BQTI4-OoZzDw  insta @gunn__shots

I have HandBrake & mpegstreamclip but this is where I need the help - people have given me settings in the past & still it looks bad. I feel like there's a secret I don''t know about. Lol. Or something I'm missing. Any advice on this would be great & appreciated.

Do what I do, export in 4K at like 15/25mbps. YouTube doesn't compress 4K as much as it does with 1080p/480p. You could also try exporting at 2k. I know it sounds stupid and I know people will disagree, but if you want the least compressed image, export it from Final Cut in 2k/4k and boom.

minerals

Re: my footage looks bad on YouTube & I need help lol
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »

Do what I do, export in 4K at like 15/25mbps. YouTube doesn't compress 4K as much as it does with 1080p/480p. You could also try exporting at 2k. I know it sounds stupid and I know people will disagree, but if you want the least compressed image, export it from Final Cut in 2k/4k and boom.
[/quote]

Thanks man I’ll give that a go.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: my footage looks bad on YouTube & I need advice
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 07:00:53 AM »
@minerals

1. what settings are you shooting at?
2. what settings are you exporting at?
3. are you using native, optimized, or proxy clips in FCPX?

minerals

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 07:07:30 AM »
@minerals

1. Shooting at 25fps i think, standard for vx.
2. Until now I’ve been exporting a ‘master file’ just hitting export, then master file. This has proved to be better quality than other methods i’ve tried so far but I’m sure i can be doing better. Master file is also always a huge file, not good.
3. To be completely honest I’m not sure how to answer this question. I capture the footage in FCPX.. If that helps.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 08:22:12 AM »
Expand Quote
@minerals

[close]

1. Shooting at 25fps i think, standard for vx.
2. Until now I’ve been exporting a ‘master file’ just hitting export, then master file. This has proved to be better quality than other methods i’ve tried so far but I’m sure i can be doing better. Master file is also always a huge file, not good.
3. To be completely honest I’m not sure how to answer this question. I capture the footage in FCPX.. If that helps.

I don't know anything about PAL, but...
Exporting to Master File should get you the best results, but yeah it is a large file. Is Master File giving you the quality you expect?

Also, have you tried using the built-in "Share to YouTube" feature in FCPX? Any difference there? I use that often and it seems to work great.

What are the timeline settings for your project? Is that 25p also?

As far as my question 3, when you go to import footage, you have options to choose from. Native is generally fine, Optimized will create copies of the clips in a format optimized for playback performance, but should not have an effect on the final export. No need to create Optimized if your machine has no problems with playback as is. As far as Proxy, that creates smaller clips for editing if you're working with 4k, 8k, etc. Also probably not an issue, but make sure your Viewer isn't set to "Proxy Only" under the View menu.

The newest clip linked on your page looks crazy compressed, that is definitely strange.

minerals

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 11:18:57 AM »

Exporting to Master File should get you the best results, but yeah it is a large file. Is Master File giving you the quality you expect?

Also, have you tried using the built-in "Share to YouTube" feature in FCPX? Any difference there? I use that often and it seems to work great.

As far as my question 3, when you go to import footage, you have options to choose from. Native is generally fine, Optimized will create copies of the clips in a format optimized for playback performance, but should not have an effect on the final export. No need to create Optimized if your machine has no problems with playback as is. As far as Proxy, that creates smaller clips for editing if you're working with 4k, 8k, etc. Also probably not an issue, but make sure your Viewer isn't set to "Proxy Only" under the View menu.

The newest clip linked on your page looks crazy compressed, that is definitely strange.
[/quote]

Re newest clip - the one on my youtube or insta?

I actually the ‘share to youtube or facebook’ option earlier today and it looked quite good. Still not as crisp as i think it could be.

Cheers for the knowledge on importing and proxy etc. I’ll check that out when im next at my laptop.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 11:26:59 AM »

Re newest clip - the one on my youtube or insta?

I actually the ‘share to youtube or facebook’ option earlier today and it looked quite good. Still not as crisp as i think it could be.

Cheers for the knowledge on importing and proxy etc. I’ll check that out when im next at my laptop.
[/quote]

I looked at your YouTube, the Tom Gibbs Raw. Can you link the one you uploaded with the built-in share to YouTube option?