Author Topic: R.I.P Henry Gartland  (Read 65725 times)

spungo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: R.I.P Henry Gartland
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2021, 05:40:12 PM »
Whether or not this is the right time or place to bring this up, suicide among the youth has skyrocketed since the pandemic.  It's a national tragedy, please take care of your heads pals.  You all all loved.
do more yoga!

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2021, 05:50:17 PM »
I really hope S C drops a pro board for him and donates a good amount of proceeds to his family or a suicide prevention organization. I don’t know him but damn this really fucking with me. He seemed like such a great person and I’d get stoked when one of his sponsors would post a YouTube video with him. Like he single handily made me give a shit about NHS YouTube.  RIP Henry.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2021, 06:02:25 PM »
Whether or not this is the right time or place to bring this up, suicide among the youth has skyrocketed since the pandemic.  It's a national tragedy, please take care of your heads pals.  You all all loved.
I can't express the amount of love id like to send to his friends and family right now.
Survivors guilt is real, and very dangerous. It's been 25+ years for me personally, but I get it still. Every single one from my original skate crew took that ride. But I constantly remind myself to help save others, it gets better.  I have thoughts myself, wanting to join the homies in that smooth park in the sky, but staying honest and open with my partner, dr, and physiatrist help keep things in perspective. It's hard to accept the fact that I'm still here, when every single one of my brothers I held in higher regard than myself took themselves out in our youth.

Ed boy

• Rep: 79
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2021, 06:23:35 PM »
I really hope SC drops a pro board for him and donates proceeds to his family or a suicide prevention organization.

Hope to see this too. This is absolutely heartbreaking, he had so much potential.

Sending love to all the 3rd Lair homies. Hope everyone's doing alright, don't be afraid to reach out.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2021, 06:24:27 PM »
I just saw that vans posted on their Instagram, but haven’t addressed Henry’s death yet. If they just sweep it under the rug and don’t say anything, that’s gonna be a deal breaker for me. I’m hoping they say something here soon

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2021, 06:29:43 PM »
They put something about it in their story.. not exactly a heartfelt post, but something.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2021, 06:47:49 PM »
I remember seeing so much hate towards Henry by some of you posting here...now you’re praising him...

Rip Henry

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2021, 07:12:46 PM »
I remember seeing so much hate towards Henry by some of you posting here...now you’re praising him...

Rip Henry
Hating on someone for a particular trick selection or style does not equate to a desire for that person to die. 

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2021, 07:14:19 PM »
Devastating news. Rest In Peace Henry.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2021, 08:46:16 PM »
I really hope S C drops a pro board for him and donates a good amount of proceeds to his family or a suicide prevention organization. I don’t know him but damn this really fucking with me. He seemed like such a great person and I’d get stoked when one of his sponsors would post a YouTube video with him. Like he single handily made me give a shit about NHS YouTube.  RIP Henry.

Yeah man.. I agree.. A post houmous pro board. Gone too soon..

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2021, 08:47:01 PM »
I know there are plenty non-US pals on here.  Please post any suicide prevention details you can on here. 

If anyone is looking for qualified help, I’ve heard a lot about betterhelp.com from podcast commercials.  Can’t personally attest to how well it works, but it seems like it has a large, affordable network

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »
I am NOT saying this has anything to do with anything here, but worth noting regardless:

If you are in suicidal crisis or emotional distress, use the contact info below to get help.

United States: Contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (the Lifeline) at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Crisis workers are available 24 hours a day. Calls are free and confidential.

PALs are also around if someone wants someone to talk to in tough time.  I struggle with depression and I know how hard this pandemic can be.
Do you know how many stories I’ve heard about the suicide hotline where the people are just heartless. The number of stories were people have literally been told that their problems weren’t important and they need to hang up and leave the line open for real people with real suicidal problems. I think I remember hearing some kid whose mom was sick in the hospital so they called the suicide hotline and the people in the hotline were not sympathetic at all. They were like everyone gets sick, just get over it. Etc...

https://www.reddit.com/r/rant/comments/7p21g0/man_this_suicide_hotline_sucks/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2021, 09:50:25 PM »
Expand Quote
I am NOT saying this has anything to do with anything here, but worth noting regardless:

If you are in suicidal crisis or emotional distress, use the contact info below to get help.

United States: Contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (the Lifeline) at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Crisis workers are available 24 hours a day. Calls are free and confidential.

PALs are also around if someone wants someone to talk to in tough time.  I struggle with depression and I know how hard this pandemic can be.
[close]
Do you know how many stories I’ve heard about the suicide hotline where the people are just heartless. The number of stories were people have literally been told that their problems weren’t important and they need to hang up and leave the line open for real people with real suicidal problems. I think I remember hearing some kid whose mom was sick in the hospital so they called the suicide hotline and the people in the hotline were not sympathetic at all. They were like everyone gets sick, just get over it. Etc...

https://www.reddit.com/r/rant/comments/7p21g0/man_this_suicide_hotline_sucks/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Post alternate options or stfu.  One or two bad experiences do not typify all interactions across all suicide help hotlines.   Im sure you mean well, I just don’t think it’s the best time and place for this skepticism. 

primo

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2021, 10:33:27 PM »
Expand Quote

Rip Henry
[close]
Hating on someone for a particular trick selection or style does not equate to a desire for that person to die.

This response is about depression and the effect of how you people act on these forums in general. I don't know Mark Waters but I know what it feels like to feel worthless and want to die. If he truly has committed suicide, then he most likely felt that for some reason life wasn't worth living.

To someone who is depressed, has anxiety, or other mood or behavioral disorders, enough criticism can cause someone to believe they should just die. A lot of people here are shitty on purpose, they think it's funny and others encourage the behavior. But you're not considering the damage it can cause. When someone calls you out for it, they're mocked and told to go someplace else. But for a pro or someone coming up, especially a young person... this shit probably eats away at them. People who are famous and/or internet famous at any level talk about this all the time. The negative comments stand out more than the positive ones. If someone makes fun of your style (the way your body moves) which is [size=78%]something most people can't control and when they do try to control they get called out for faking it... what the fuck are you supposed to do? "Trick selection" is directly tied to skill level. A lot of skaters equate skill level with self-worth. I assume for someone who is relying on skateboarding for their future its much more intense. [/size]
[/size]
[/size]Everyone is different. Not everyone responds the same way to shit talking. [size=78%]

[/size]Someone's suicide is not 100% your fault but you still need to take a long look at yourselves and the way you act on these forums. Being an asshole, a bully, a smartass all the time... it's not as cool as you think it is.[size=78%]

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 37
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2021, 11:39:39 PM »
Mark Waters passed from Covid. Henry is the one who committed suicide, but we get what you’re saying and thank you for it
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Rip Henry
[close]
[close]

This response is about depression and the effect of how you people act on these forums in general. I don't know Mark Waters but I know what it feels like to feel worthless and want to die. If he truly has committed suicide, then he most likely felt that for some reason life wasn't worth living.

To someone who is depressed, has anxiety, or other mood or behavioral disorders, enough criticism can cause someone to believe they should just die. A lot of people here are shitty on purpose, they think it's funny and others encourage the behavior. But you're not considering the damage it can cause. When someone calls you out for it, they're mocked and told to go someplace else. But for a pro or someone coming up, especially a young person... this shit probably eats away at them. People who are famous and/or internet famous at any level talk about this all the time. The negative comments stand out more than the positive ones. If someone makes fun of your style (the way your body moves) which is [size=78%]something most people can't control and when they do try to control they get called out for faking it... what the fuck are you supposed to do? "Trick selection" is directly tied to skill level. A lot of skaters equate skill level with self-worth. I assume for someone who is relying on skateboarding for their future its much more intense. [/size]
[/size]
[/size]Everyone is different. Not everyone responds the same way to shit talking. [size=78%]

[/size]Someone's suicide is not 100% your fault but you still need to take a long look at yourselves and the way you act on these forums. Being an asshole, a bully, a smartass all the time... it's not as cool as you think it is.[size=78%]
Getting cucked by your hero on acid is TIGHT.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1467
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2021, 11:40:50 PM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:36:36 AM by KoRnholio8 »

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2021, 02:31:53 AM »
he was so good! RIP

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2021, 04:01:15 AM »
Rest in Peace Henry.

Is there a thread on Slap where people can reach out to other pals in case of need, or where pals can indicate they're willing to listen? I feel that something like this would be a great thing to have around. In spite of the questionable stuff that goes on here, I feel that Slap is a real community and that many would be willing to lend an ear. 

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2021, 07:05:28 AM »

Rip Henry

I hate how this bullshit comes up every time there's a tragedy like this.

Who gives a shit if some people didn't like his skating, style, etc? Nobody is going to be happy that he died because he dyed his hair you absolute fuckwit. You also have no way of knowing that the people in this thread saying they like his skating said they didn't like it in the past, unless you literally go into old threads and cross-reference every post.

Rest easy Henry. You'll be sorely missed.

TheDingus

« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2021, 07:08:37 AM »
A forum where people literally bully other people from behind a screen and then talk about how serious depression is and that they are there for each other. Unreal.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2021, 07:21:59 AM »
Not everyone here is a bully, some of us are searching for a connection with skating and a community. I see it often here and in social media, the harassment and constant negative commentary weighs heavy on some people, so much that they delete an account but it doesn’t remove the feeling that people are picking out all these things you already worry are wrong and obvious to the world.
We won’t know the cause of Henry’s death and like said before, it doesn’t matter and is only to satisfy morbid curiosity.
But it’s a real problem, I’ve seen it here since the early 2000’s and endured it myself. The people dishing it out are obviously built differently than those who take the brunt of it and can’t let it go. I don’t mind a little playful harassment but the aggressive hate has got to go. I saw it on Henry’s posts and having skated with him and hung out a bit, what kind a and thoughtful person not deserving of it.

Anyways, rip to him. My condolences to his friends and families who have to put the pieces together and go on without him. Have had multiple friends and family members take their own lives, it’s brutal to move past.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2021, 08:18:46 AM »
I know the people posting the suicide hotline numbers are just trying to help but one thing I have heard and take it with a grain or two of salt is that you may end up being involuntarily committed to the hospital which is obviously not free or cheap here in the good old US of A.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2021, 08:35:22 AM »
he was a young man, but he really had one of the best flip-ins of all time

https://youtu.be/vhicDHv_jZc?t=1011
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2021, 09:35:36 AM »
Rest in Peace Henry.

Is there a thread on Slap where people can reach out to other pals in case of need, or where pals can indicate they're willing to listen? I feel that something like this would be a great thing to have around. In spite of the questionable stuff that goes on here, I feel that Slap is a real community and that many would be willing to lend an ear.
I really like this idea. I think we should all set up something where we can just listen to each other when we are feeling down. We are all Pals here. Love you all

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2021, 09:59:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Rest in Peace Henry.

[close]
I really like this idea. I think we should all set up something where we can just listen to each other when we are feeling down. We are all Pals here. Love you all

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115189.0

All my love, Shalomies :)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2021, 12:57:08 PM »
Thanks Armin.

This is utterly devastating for me and I didn't even know him personally. I can't imagine those close to him knowing his talent and personality and losing him so young.

RIP. I was quickly becoming a fan of his skateboarding with each new part I saw.

Please find help if you need it. Bottling up your feelings is not coping. Staying quiet won't get you help and doesn't make you strong. Don't make me beg y'all to come forward.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2021, 01:31:14 PM »
This is such sad news.
I go to therapy every week.  It's very helpful.  I wish it wasn't so stigmatized.  It's normal to need help, to seek help.  We all need it sometimes.

Rattray listed some resources at the bottom of this post for those that may need to reach out.  He highlighted suicide prevention/mental health lines from the US/UK/AUS, but also has a link to a global list.

https://www.thepredatorybird.com/why-so-sad-x-actions-realized/

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2021, 01:50:23 PM »
I just saw that vans posted on their Instagram, but haven’t addressed Henry’s death yet. If they just sweep it under the rug and don’t say anything, that’s gonna be a deal breaker for me. I’m hoping they say something here soon

Thats a weird thing to go about the world. Every year im sure there something bad happens to people who work at vans whether is disease or death, but this one guy that wasnt a pro for them, and you expect them to say something? what bout every one else? thats some dumb fanboyism

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2021, 04:37:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thats a weird thing to go about the world. Every year im sure there something bad happens to people who work at vans whether is disease or death, but this one guy that wasnt a pro for them, and you expect them to say something? what bout every one else? thats some dumb fanboyism

i actually went to the instagram for vansskate and seems like they had a story saying "rip henry" but didn't see a post on their feed about him..
i didnt realize who it was, i just peeped his latest thrasher interview and when i first saw this thread i didn;t realize it was him.. seems so tragic.. hope his family can get through this

EDIT: they did make a post addressing the cause as well as the national suicide hotline..
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:48:02 PM by fulfillthedream »
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

QUSH

• Rep: -32
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2021, 05:08:58 PM »
We don't need details on the cause. RIP Hank.

this line of thinking really needs to fucking stop