Author Topic: R.I.P Henry Gartland  (Read 65707 times)

mtvic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
Re: R.I.P Henry Gartland
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I remember seeing so much hate towards Henry by some of you posting here...now you’re praising him...

Rip Henry
[close]
Hating on someone for a particular trick selection or style does not equate to a desire for that person to die.
[close]

This response is about depression and the effect of how you people act on these forums in general. I don't know Mark Waters but I know what it feels like to feel worthless and want to die. If he truly has committed suicide, then he most likely felt that for some reason life wasn't worth living.

To someone who is depressed, has anxiety, or other mood or behavioral disorders, enough criticism can cause someone to believe they should just die. A lot of people here are shitty on purpose, they think it's funny and others encourage the behavior. But you're not considering the damage it can cause. When someone calls you out for it, they're mocked and told to go someplace else. But for a pro or someone coming up, especially a young person... this shit probably eats away at them. People who are famous and/or internet famous at any level talk about this all the time. The negative comments stand out more than the positive ones. If someone makes fun of your style (the way your body moves) which is [size=78%]something most people can't control and when they do try to control they get called out for faking it... what the fuck are you supposed to do? "Trick selection" is directly tied to skill level. A lot of skaters equate skill level with self-worth. I assume for someone who is relying on skateboarding for their future its much more intense. [/size]
[/size]
[/size]Everyone is different. Not everyone responds the same way to shit talking. [size=78%]

[/size]Someone's suicide is not 100% your fault but you still need to take a long look at yourselves and the way you act on these forums. Being an asshole, a bully, a smartass all the time... it's not as cool as you think it is.[size=78%]

I am sure its rough.  Shit,  the world in general is super rough for a lot of people without depression right now so I can not imagine what having depression must be like.  I am simply stating that people on here critique, its what happens.  I would never want to read slap comments about a part of mine if skateboarding professionally was my goal, at the same time professional skateboarding is accepting critique by the public as youre essentially selling yourself.  I totally get what youre saying though, I just wouldn't want to make anyone feel responsible on here for talking shit about his skating and thinking that could have contributed to his death, but I also agree that we must be much more conscious of what we say online to each other and how we treat one another on the internet.   

This was a horribly tragic event and I sincerely hope those close to him can find some comfort thorough this awful time. 

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2021, 08:02:21 PM »
Holy shit ∆∆∆ I just watched the video Thrasher put out in regards to Henry I really do believe some people are scum in the comments section of YouTube.

I do agree with the comment above me saying we should be a bit more careful with how we treat each other online no matter the platform.  I wouldn't want to have the comments section turned on if I put out a pro/am part for a brand or homies section.
Dueces Bitch's

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2021, 09:37:23 PM »
Beautiful tribute. What an absolute bummer.He was not exactly my type of skateboarder but he seemed like a great human being and quite the talent.  i sure feel for his friends, fans, and most of all family.

I've had suicide in my life and the devastation it leaves in it's wake is just not worth it, tomorrow can be better with help and understanding.

Tell your friends and family you love them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2BYWWMA0U8

I know SC would have likely turned him pro after his next part but IMO now they sell his board its a fine line between tribute and profit off of death. Whatever his family wants is my hope.

great idea here.

I really hope S C drops a pro board for him and donates a good amount of proceeds to his family or a suicide prevention organization. I don’t know him but damn this really fucking with me. He seemed like such a great person and I’d get stoked when one of his sponsors would post a YouTube video with him. Like he single handily made me give a shit about NHS YouTube.  RIP Henry.

Damn that is so sad to hear. The dude was so talented and was going places. I feel so bad for his friends and family. Please Pals if you're having a tough time mentally and emotionally reach out to anyone even myself if need to. Im always here to help in whatever way I can. I hate to see skaters go out like that.

I second this sentiment
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:25:19 PM by figureitout »

busted-knee

• Rep: -12
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2021, 11:50:09 PM »
Fucking heartbreaking. My condolences to Henry's loved ones. RIP

EvaporatedMilk

• Rep: -15
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2021, 06:41:26 AM »
rest in peace
hope your spirit is in peace

Burnout420

• Rep: -27
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2021, 11:24:29 AM »
how are people bitching about his trick selection. The dude skated everything and wouldn’t  do a single filler trick. Every part he dropped was fire. Again I say RIP Henry. One of the few to make it out of Minnesota and live the actual skate dream. It was exciting to see a 3rd lair rat grow up and get last part in a Santa Cruz video. Everyone gets to be a critic on here and talk shit about Santa cruz or how he dyed his hair. But you get to dye your hair however you want when you’re  kflip crooking whatever the fuck rail that is at the end of Santa cruz 4. Also if you don’t like handrail skating fuck you.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2021, 01:53:27 PM »
how are people bitching about his trick selection. The dude skated everything and wouldn’t  do a single filler trick. Every part he dropped was fire. Again I say RIP Henry. One of the few to make it out of Minnesota and live the actual skate dream. It was exciting to see a 3rd lair rat grow up and get last part in a Santa Cruz video. Everyone gets to be a critic on here and talk shit about Santa cruz or how he dyed his hair. But you get to dye your hair however you want when you’re  kflip crooking whatever the fuck rail that is at the end of Santa cruz 4. Also if you don’t like handrail skating fuck you.
this isn't the place for this discussion. relax

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
rip, rad kid

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2021, 05:20:34 PM »
RIP to another skating Jew
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2021, 07:11:16 PM »

I feel like there are very few of us. None more talented than Hank, of blessed memory.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like there are very few of us. None more talented than Hank, of blessed memory.

The only other one I can think of is Blake Johnson, who also happens to be on Santa Cruz

They are the truly shalomi homies
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

waffle

• Rep: 123
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2021, 08:53:15 PM »
Only 21 years old. Tragic, RIP.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2021, 11:54:41 PM »
What a fucking horrible bummer. RIP dude, i hate seeing another skater lost

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2021, 12:47:29 AM »
Was hoping to see more of this dude. As someone with bp2, it hurts to read about this happening because I know how hard intrusive thoughts are to deal with. In general it just sucks.

Much love to Henry. Seemed like a solid kid<3333
The chillest1

assvogel

• Rep: 194
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2021, 02:21:37 AM »
Got the Feb 21 Thrasher in the mail yesterday and saw his interview there. The "I just want to stay healthy and skate as long as possible" quote was so damn sad it hurt.

Rest in Peace Henry.

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2021, 03:08:30 AM »
Like others have said, fucking ripping dude on the road to big things. I've been around here for many passings, but this one hit hard & close to home, just being a young guy with seemingly so much going for them outwardly but struggling on the inside.

RIP Henry, may you find solace.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2021, 10:40:25 AM »
Just found this news, such a bummer, he was a rail killer
RIP Mr Henry Gartland

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2021, 01:30:38 PM »
Absolute heartbreaker. Was such a ripper and all smiles. Was looking forward to him rising to pro ranks after destroying it as an Am. Personally have lost too many friends to this. Hope the stigma is removed and people realize it's not always the person sitting in their room depressed that goes this route. Just takes the right turn of events, change in brain chemistry, etc for something like this to happen. It could literally happen to any of us under certain circumstances. So damn sad.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2021, 04:10:02 PM »
Huge loss for skateboarding and the Minneapolis skate scene. I'm still processing this..

I wanted to post this Jed Anderson interview that came out just a couple days ago, as I think there's a lot of overlap in dialogue, and I think both cultures have the opportunity to grow, learn and strengthen their communities at a time like this.
https://tormentmag.com/the-jed-interview/

I had only talked to Henry a couple of times, but have a number of friends that were closer with him, and let me tell you its difficult to watch your friends grieve and struggle through feeling like they could've been there more, or done something different.

I know SLAP isn't the greatest place to talk about mental health, but I hope one day people can feel comfortable expressing themselves if they need the help, or can at least be redirected to the proper resources.

Hoping this can be the first step in a number of many for our community and culture. Be good to each other! ❤️

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:44:40 AM by pbj »

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2021, 06:32:27 PM »
Rest In Peace.

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2021, 09:19:54 PM »
RIP

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2021, 12:02:29 AM »
RIP

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2021, 09:56:43 AM »

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2021, 03:29:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The only other one I can think of is Blake Johnson, who also happens to be on Santa Cruz

They are the truly shalomi homies

There is also Yoshi Tenenbom.

RIP Henry!

Someone I know has recently attempted suicide. He survived and is currently in a clinic. Also My brother has been not well mentally because he‘s basically been stuck in his apartment for a whole year, because he‘s in the high risk group for Covid. I suspect this virus has definitely made a lot of people’s lives with mental health issues even harder. Such a bummer all around.

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2021, 05:58:40 AM »
You never know how you're words can effect someone. Quit being a lil' prick.

RIP Henry
It's a sad world watching people like you go 😢

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2021, 11:37:39 PM »
I'm still having a hard time registering that he's gone....

I remember seeing somebody post about it the day after it happened and I didn't believe it was Gartland. I thought it was someone else in the photo that they posted. Thought nothing of it... then more posts filled the feed and I knew. On his way to 22. So young. I kept thinking he was almost mid 20s but he was a young buck and had such passion in his skating. Such energy in his persona and abilities. I've been rooting for him to go pro since I saw him come on the scene in 2018!

Something else that I notice with some of these skaters that take their lives or put their lives at huge risk beyond what's normal for skateboarding...
 It feels like these rippers have such heavy demons or darkness plaguing their psyche that their outlet is to destroy everything in their path on a skateboard and have close calls with death just to feel something. Just to feel alive, just to feel something positive that's an escape from their troubles.

Grosso hit me hard and now Gartland is getting again. RIP to him. Hope his family and friends are finding peace during this tough time <3
Super Champion Fun Zone

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2021, 11:06:49 AM »

I remember seeing somebody post about it the day after it happened and I didn't believe it was Gartland. I thought it was someone else in the photo that they posted. Thought nothing of it... then more posts filled the feed and I knew. On his way to 22. So young. I kept thinking he was almost mid 20s but he was a young buck and had such passion in his skating. Such energy in his persona and abilities. I've been rooting for him to go pro since I saw him come on the scene in 2018!

Something else that I notice with some of these skaters that take their lives or put their lives at huge risk beyond what's normal for skateboarding...
 It feels like these rippers have such heavy demons or darkness plaguing their psyche that their outlet is to destroy everything in their path on a skateboard and have close calls with death just to feel something. Just to feel alive, just to feel something positive that's an escape from their troubles.

Grosso hit me hard and now Gartland is getting again. RIP to him. Hope his family and friends are finding peace during this tough time <3
I don't think we should put these guys in a box or stereotype which kind of skater. Van Wastell really didn't skate anything big by pro skater standards, and due to addiction issues took his own life. It can strike anyone. Raemers had some risky stuff, but nothing that really stands out as insane in a world with Jaws, Milton, and Danny Way. Those are the two most prominent pros I can think of who chose to end their lives prematurely. I guess Ben Pappas but that's a truly crazy situation. Hopefully, the skate industry never sees widespread CTE like we have in Hockey or Football.

RIP Henry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2021, 12:12:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don't think we should put these guys in a box or stereotype which kind of skater. Van Wastell really didn't skate anything big by pro skater standards, and due to addiction issues took his own life. It can strike anyone. Raemers had some risky stuff, but nothing that really stands out as insane in a world with Jaws, Milton, and Danny Way. Those are the two most prominent pros I can think of who chose to end their lives prematurely. I guess Ben Pappas but that's a truly crazy situation. Hopefully, the skate industry never sees widespread CTE like we have in Hockey or Football.

RIP Henry.

I'm not personally putting anyone in a box with my comment if that's how you or anyone else perceive it. I should elaborate. I am, however, noticing that some of these skaters that end up falling to addiction or taking their own life have a penchant for an outlet like death defying skateboarding or extreme substance use to satiate/fill that void from troubles they were experiencing. Something that is not uncommon with those stuck in a rut looking for ways to escape their demons. I'm observing a trend that could help refocus our attention on those we aren't paying attention to and should. From the Raemers and Vans to the Gartlands.

Jarne is another good example of someone who is wild on a board and was recently close to succumbing to alcohol in a deadly way but he's on the road to a healthier life away from it now. I wish more people can turn their life around from the dark grips depression/addiction has on people, but it's tough.

Anyways, I agree about hoping CTE doesn't become so widespread since that could be hugely detrimental to the scene and general views on skateboarding.
Super Champion Fun Zone

sharko23

• Rep: 0
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2021, 03:51:42 AM »
Very sad:( What a legend.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2021, 02:07:34 AM »
Anyone have insight if there's going to be a future full length part for Henry? He was a monster releasing clips and parts so regularly and I can't help but assume a lot of great footage likely hasn't been seen yet. With TVV new park showing a bit and the Santa Cruz vid only having a few clips, I'm wondering if his footage will be sprinkled across projects among the closest to him or if he'll have a full blown part one day