Author Topic: VERY BIG WEST COAST TRIP  (Read 823 times)

fredgallSOTY

VERY BIG WEST COAST TRIP
« on: January 28, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »
So PALS, im gonna be covering a lot of ground in june with the fam. Gonna do a west coast loop from Milwaukee back around. Recommend some places to skate, parks, skateparks, shops, nature, other cool stuff to do. Gonna be hitting a lot of places so im gonna bang em all out. Some places im gonna be in longer than others, dates aren't really dialed in right now.

Starting in Milwaukee
-Omaha
-Denver
-Moab
-Phoenix
-Joshua Tree
-LA
-Half Moon Bay/Santa Cruz area
-Bay Area
-Sacramento (potentially)
-Redwoods
-Eugene
-Portland
-Hoh Rainforest
-Seattle
-Mount Rainier
-Missoula (?)
-Viroqua, WI
back to Milwaukee

LMK any cool stuff in between as well
Thanks!

Frank and Fred

Re: VERY BIG WEST COAST TRIP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »
If your dates are closer to summer you should try and hit some of the Oregon coast. Not sure what you like to skate but Lincoln City is insanity. By the summer there should be a new park in Pacific City just north of Lincoln City. A fun place to drink beer, surf, climb up sand dunes and walk along the cape. Gets crowded though. Salmon River Mouth is one of my favorite Oregon Coast hikes. Its only 6 miles or so but you pass through several micro climates, woods, meadows and finally end up way up overlooking the River mouth. You might run into some Elk and bald eagles along the way.

If you head back East on I84 be sure to take in Mt Hood and Hood River skate park. Lots of cool shit to explore on both the WA and OR sides of the Colombia River Gorge. Amazing vistas, hikes, skateparks, beer, waterfalls, and you can bomb the Maryhill curves....

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »
I made a thread last year about driving down Pacific Coast Highway that should help you with that portion of your trip. People posted a lot of good information about the numerous spots along the coast along with car camping information if you wanted to go that route.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112142.0

Happy travels!

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »
Big Sur For Sure! Do everything in San Francisco or Oakland that you safely can.

Also you could stop in Monterrey Tomales Bay area on your way out of SFC and check out the Tomales Point trail and Elk reserve.

Lil further north there's a city called Santa Rosa. There's a skatepark there where TNT grew up skating, you could check it out then dm him about the experience (like a man).
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 10:48:28 AM »
this has all been great! gonna gnar everybody who contributes when i can.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 12:09:18 PM »
Unless there is something you were set on seeing I would skip Sacramento and just head north from the bay area. Definitely skate Derby park in Santa Cruz (also next to Natural Bridges beach which is great) and the Santa Rosa skatepark (pretty close to Bodega Bay or the Russian River, which are also great). Let us know once you're planning each stop if you have questions.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 05:17:21 PM »
If your dates are closer to summer you should try and hit some of the Oregon coast. Not sure what you like to skate but Lincoln City is insanity.

Lincoln City has a roof on one of the bowls.  How good is it at keeping that one dry in the rain?

I'm going to be there next week (family trip to the coast) and the weather looks suspect.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 05:34:11 PM »
One section has a roof. Some of it stays dry but be careful. If any moisture gets in its going to be slick as hell. Weather should be OK Weds onward. Worth checking. I'll be at the coast Thursday but further North.

BigFrank

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 07:48:54 PM »
If you come to Denver pm me and I’ll give you my Instagram. I have 496 spots

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 10:34:26 PM »
all great stuff!

i would only go to Sacramento to maybe meet my great-grandma before she dies but if this covid shit doesnt die down im not gonna risk it.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 11:18:50 PM »
I'm going to make some food suggestions:

There is a Lithuanian place in Alameda (Bay Area) that is worth visiting. The dinners are great and the kvass is super tasty... but the cake sucks (the cake is a lie).

Versailles is an awesome Cuban place in LA... just don't go to the one near Venice Beach it isn't as good as the one that is near Pico. Oh and fucking DK doughnuts are pretty good.

Oh, and the Nuart Theater in LA shows some good movies (right next to the Courthouse perfect post-session movie spot).

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
Bill’s Wheels in Santa Cruz is a great shop that is definitely worth visiting.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
I'm doing a big southwest trip starting sunday. I'll let you know what I find for skating.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 04:38:58 PM »
Camping at all?

Lots of great places to camp (free and paid) in the southwest.

Dispersed camping near Muley Point on the Moki Dugway south of Moab (on the way to Phoenix) is incredible - free with sites right on the rim of a canyon overlooking a river canyon with Monument Valley in the distance.

Sedona is worth a stop too. The drive through Oak Creek Canyon south from Flagstaff is gorgeous. Lots of good swimming holes. The town is busy and wild touristy. The skatepark isn't the best but it has absolutely incredible red rock views. Lots of great red rock hiking. You have to pay and it gets crowded in the afternoon. but the swimming hole at Crescent Moon Ranch in Sedona is possibly my favorite in America.

A lot of city parks in small towns in the midwest (Iowa, Nebraska on your route) have free or very cheap campsites. Probably need to venture 20 minutes or so off the interstates. Many of these are within walking distance to the town's downtown. Fun to camp and able to walk a few minutes for a meal/drinks/shopping. Some of these city park campgrounds even have free hot showers.

Like others are saying, Big Sur is well worth it if Highway 1 is open. The Lost Coast further north is also extremely cool but out of the way (and the roads are quite rough and windy).

Definitely hit the Oregon Coast. Huge concentration of skate parks and beautiful beaches. Easy enough to pop over to Eugene and back if you want. Lincoln City is the biggest/gnarliest park on the coast but a lot of other good transition parks. Small covered wood ramp (that I think stays dry in rain) in Nehalem just south of Cannon Beach. I agree with others about checking out Hood River if it makes sense with your route. Very fun park. Bingen across the river in Washington is also worth a visit).

Stop and say what up to 144P at 35th Ave in Federal Way when you're in Seattle. Tons of parks in the area. Northwestskater.com is a great resource for Seattle (and Washington/Oregon) skate parks. Definitely a good idea to check out Hoh and rest of Olympic Peninsula. Washington Coast is completely different than Oregon Coast - much more rugged and wild.

Montana has a lot of fun parks if you head back home from Seattle via I90. Lots of those Evergreen Parks with moon-like features. The shop in Missoula is pretty cool. They have a ramp in the back. I don't particularly like the outdoor park in Missoula. If you head south of town on Highway 93 you'll hit Evergreen Parks in Stevensville, Hamilton, and Darby all within an hour.

If you are heading home via I90, it's pretty easy to pop by the Badlands on the way. Worth it. There's also great free dispersed camping south of Wall that actually overlooks the Badlands canyons (way better than the official national park campground). Devil's Tower is nearby and worth a look. It's probably cool for kids if you have any. The Devil's Tower KOA plays Close Encounters of the Third Kind on a big outdoor screen most nights in the summer (the tower is prominent in the film).

Maybe consider popping through Glacier National Park and/or Yellowstone National Park on your way home if you haven't done those before. Somewhat out of the way though depending on your time frame at this point. If you do hit Glacier, the skate park in Whitefish is bonkers.

Sounds like an awesome trip! Remember to give us a recap when all is said and done!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 04:52:05 PM »
If you're from Milwaukee and going to be in Omaha, then I'm guessing you already know about and are stopping for Donut Hill? If not, then I'm sure the Cream City guys can tie you in with a key holder.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 08:35:26 PM »
Holler at me in the redwoods and I'll kick you down something for the mind and tell you the dope beaches, river spots, and trails. I gotta give the obligatory spiel about being respectful and safe with covid precautions and all because I live in a place where hella travelers come through and they've been the worst during this whole thing.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 04:23:42 PM »
Covid spreader tour
listen to cosmic psychos

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 05:15:44 PM »
Covid spreader tour

Haha nahhh with proper planning it can be done!

Hardest thing will be doing shit in cities and getting food without traipsing around in a bunch of different grocery stores, but curbside grocery pickup is widely available in the states. Just gotta find a walmart.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 08:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Covid spreader tour
[close]

Hardest thing will be doing shit in cities and getting food without traipsing around in a bunch of different grocery stores, but curbside grocery pickup is widely available in the states. Just gotta find a walmart.
yeah. planning this thing out with as little human contact as possible. there's a lotta space in the west, just gotta be smart

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2021, 08:49:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Covid spreader tour
[close]

[close]
yeah. planning this thing out with as little human contact as possible. there's a lotta space in the west, just gotta be smart

You got it, as long as you do the proper planning you'll be good. Yours is a larger undertaking (CA is particularly gnarly and bound to get worse with Newsome opening things wide up again), but I tripped out to Utah and back to the Midwest this past July and really only went inside anywhere to shit. They even have drive thru liquor stores in some states for the campfire beers. Bring a good cooler, be down to camp, plan your next move, and have fun. There is nothing like driving around out west!

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 06:20:45 PM »
I'm gonna echo the sentiment to skip Sacramento. Drive up 101 from SF to Humboldt County, you could camp in a number of spots directly north of Arcata, that's where you'll start seeing insane redwood groves. There's a good park you could hit in Eureka that day before finding a camp spot too. From there, it's a few hours to Brookings which has the famous gap that Cardiel 360ed, and that's where you'll start seeing the best beaches on the coast, I would personally stay on the coast all the way up but that's just me- you'll be able to pop into Eugene and Portland quickly and the whole Oregon coast should not be missed.