Author Topic: Is there a science to finding your best setup  (Read 2295 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Is there a science to finding your best setup
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 06:46:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
there is no science

only madness
[close]
And investing or wasting money depending from your pov.
[close]

I've wasted my investment on Indy and non-F4 wheels.

1) Settle deck dimensions first - stick to industry standard dimensions from BBS and adjust from there
2) Get your trucks settled - what kind of pop feel do you like, height is often overlooked, how much wheelbase shift do you prefer, going bigger mean heavier trucks so account for truck weight and consider lights / hollow / titanium when going bigger
3) Play around with wheels - 52-54 is boss, if you got big dick energy go up to 56 and above
Let me add:
4) Bones Swiss/Swiss 6 or bust
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 08:34:36 PM »
in a ideal world the wheelbase would match your shoulder width and the width would be how long your foot it, but positioning and sliding and other bullshit messes that up

my bro-science is that i dont look at the dimensions of my deck (since thats my most replacable skate part) therefore my muscle memory for tricks is more of a wide-array and any trick i wanna throw down on a new board? pick from the scale.

ive riddne 7.5 to 8.6 only takes me 2 sessions max to get settled in. maybe its because im young
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 10:39:28 PM »
I buy within my preferences......

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 10:56:59 PM »
No

the guy at the shop gets mad when i ask him about wheelbase and whatever board I get the tail is a little too steep anyway. Though no joke I do believe formula fours are the only hard tech wheel worth riding, and the only spit that beats other wheel companies. if you're looking for a classic type just get whatever company you want Maybe even a Tom Knox pro model sml wheel
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 11:25:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
there is no science

only madness
[close]
[close]

1) Settle deck dimensions first - stick to industry standard dimensions from BBS and adjust from there
2) Get your trucks settled - what kind of pop feel do you like, height is often overlooked, how much wheelbase shift do you prefer, going bigger mean heavier trucks so account for truck weight and consider lights / hollow / titanium when going bigger
3) Play around with wheels - 52-54 is boss, if you got big dick energy go up to 56 and above
[close]
Let me add:
4) Bones Swiss/Swiss 6 or bust Reds / Mini Logo - Ryde or Die
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 04:37:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
there is no science

only madness
[close]
[close]

[close]
Let me add:
4) Bones Swiss/Swiss 6 or bust Reds / Mini Logo vhs copy of Aesthetics- Ryde or Die
[close]

sketchyrider

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 08:20:51 AM »
like other people have said in here, i would say there isn't a true science to finding your "best" setup, other than experimenting and seeing what you like.

i think there is some truth to the idea that your body/shoe size will impact your setup. i have heard of people with big feet (sz 12+) claiming that a 7.75 works best for them, frankly i'd like to see them skate on it. i would expect their skating is probably sloppy and awkward, even by amateur slapper standards.

that being said, maybe your wheelbase at the axles should roughly match your shoulders, but where are we talking about on the shoulders really? shoulder blade to shoulder blade? from end to end? not really a specific science IMO, more a suggestion.

is there really any science to suggest why someone would prefer a shaped board? probably not. you would just have to try it and see if it works for you, for whatever reason.

i found what i liked bit by bit. first i noticed i preferred a deck with some length, by chance. then i went for an 8.5" after the homies laughed at my feet hanging off both ends of an 8". kept sizing up to a 9", realized that was too far, so i compromised with 159's and an ~8.6". i've stuck with 54mm wheels cause that was as big as i could go before ghost pop/wheelbite starts happening. etc.

i think there is some flexibility in what might work for you, which is why so many fools on here end up with madness. for me, i've liked krux and theeve trucks, but stuck with indy out of the slightest preference. deck wheelbase from 14.38 to 14.75 feels nice, with different benefits on either end. i could probably skate any of them and be happy, or keep varying setups and driving myself nuts hunting for "perfection". sticking with something might be part of getting a perfect setup.

fact of the matter is unless youre rich, and have tons of free time, you aren't going to be able to try out every single product variation. you wanna buy every wheel brand out there, and spend a couple weeks on each? have fun. but, you can easily make a note of what you noticed when you tried something different, and apply it next time your current gear wears out.