Author Topic: post ur favorite Natural Koncept stuff in this thread  (Read 11903 times)

friendly dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: post ur favorite Natural Koncept stuff in this thread
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2021, 05:32:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMGtyOc57ho
this is them too? Apparently I been a fan of these dudes and didn’t know it. Idk anything about Katch skating but I fully recognize his art from my graff days.

Serious Bob

• Rep: 5
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2021, 01:59:15 AM »
I had to spend 5 minutes trying to remember my login just to post this. I want to be cool too. I dont know shit about natty kons compared to most people in this thread but i am from hawaii born and raised, and there are a few dudes here who have ties to the brand. Cris Kays works at and helps maintain a park/ramp. Theres a guy named sean reilly who was apparently part of natty konz who is still skating. Hes like 40. And katchs art is everywhere here, in the cuttiest ditches, and even a lot of legal walls. He recently did some legal wall pieces for this art thing called Pow wow. Someone said something about how hes still bombing trains in hawaii and i think thats fucking hilarious because hawaii doesnt have a metro or freight system lol. Never had metro, freight MAYBE in the ancient past, idk im sorta young. But his art is everywhere here and he is still on his game with painting.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2021, 06:50:23 AM »
This is an awesome thread! I never heard about Natural Koncept before, but now I am a huge fan :D everything about them is lovable!!

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2021, 09:56:25 AM »
Bob Gnarly's part is so fucking wild.

Last summer me and three of my best friends did LSD and went out for a super long all night cruise on our cruiser boards. While the acid was kicking in and we were waiting for one friend to show up, we watched Illegitimate Bastard Child. I had already seen it a bunch of times but my other two friends hadn't really seen it. Needless to say it was fucked. The editing at the end of Choppy's part where he's yelling at the camera had us laughing our asses off. I think we only made it that far before heading out for the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JprWhlK3Qu0

But really, shit like this is the whole reason any of us click on a Natty Kon thread:

Saw that Choppy dude throw a half eaten hot dog right in a Reef bikini model's face at a trade show once.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2021, 05:57:24 AM »
Expand Quote
hes riding off the ledge on the side of the building to the sidewalk. these dudes were the kings of ride offs, JUB had to be hella jealous.

that CAZ part is so legendary. dude beat vov and danny bricks to the megaramp by a decade . except instead of having a $3.5m deodorant/softdrink endorsement budget, they just had a barn, some speed vodka plywood pallets and an old truck. putting a rail out the second story window of a barn and then sacking it is pretty sick. bout to watch that whole video i got nothing else going on in this horseshit weather.

anyone from jersey remember Feet First in the late 90s/00s? sporting goods chain store that sold skate shit (pre zumiez era) with 7 or 8 locations.. but they always had so much natty konch product on deck it was fucked up... a comical amount of boards shirts everything. fuckin natty konch window display? done. no matter what board you asked to look at off the wall, theyd try selling you on a NK board of a different size. place went out of business back when skateshops learned about the first wave of SB resellers and just started asking for resale prices instore despite having an account. so theyd be asking actual ebay resell prices to make up for backdooring every pair besides a size 12.

classic jersey shit right there. my boy came up on entire size run of todd jordan blazers at $25 a pair tho during their year long closing sale. RIP feets first

free max b
[close]

They have a location still open in Red Bank.

Poster @tension was the store manager there. He could probably elaborate.

He told us about 2 years ago that Brian Wenning’s mom tried to sell decks directly to the store w/o Brian’s permission.

https://wenningboards.com/

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103756.0

sorry for the delay!
Sounds about right. That was before my time I was there 2010-2020ish... the store i worked at was going out of business a few months after i bailed, but now im hearing they arent closing anymore? Not positive what the deal is, i know the owner who i worked for was over it and his kids i worked with bought property in another country last i heard sooooo really not sure. communication was always an issue even when i was there haha

the wennings mom deal was so strange, i wonder if she ever went back to get her check if the few ever sold (they didnt move when i was there so theres a chance they still might have some.)
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2021, 08:36:34 AM »
haha wow thats fucked. the fact that one Feet First still exists is nuts. maybe the manager at the Brick location was in cahoots with natty konch or something trading wall/ window space for bud. bc that shop was packed with so much NK product it was like a nattykonch outlet pretty much. 14 year old me in 2003 wasnt aware how dope this thread was gonna be otherwise i would have stocked up.

free max b
FREE MAX B

cky enthusiast

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2021, 09:26:11 AM »
considering ordering a deck off their web store but i’m still not entirely convinced they have real product let alone a shipping manager and stuff and i think it might ruin the mystique if i skate it

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2021, 09:39:31 AM »
considering ordering a deck off their web store but i’m still not entirely convinced they have real product let alone a shipping manager and stuff and i think it might ruin the mystique if i skate it

Growing up, there was a group of older dudes who swore that NK and LibTech were the best boards and that pretty much anything else was second-tier. Makes me wonder what the deal was.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2021, 09:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Growing up, there was a group of older dudes who swore that NK and LibTech were the best boards and that pretty much anything else was second-tier. Makes me wonder what the deal was.

sounds like a buddy of mine. I had a few NKs because I thought the were a cool company but this dude, for a few years all he skated was NK and LibTech. Apparently, for him, they were stronger boards with more pop or something.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2021, 10:17:25 AM »
i assure you they do. there imagine seemingly been "hawaiian burnout" since inception, but because its just a front for a huge marijuana trafficking scheme (not snitching this has been a well known fact for over 2 decades now) they actually do run a legitmate business. i cant comment on the quality of what you get or how long it takes but youll get ur jaeger NK board.

NK if youre hiring and need a dude in NY lmk im with it.

free max b
FREE MAX B

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 51
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2021, 12:16:26 PM »
Richie Loeffler from Trap skateboards and Medicine distribution has the distribution for Europe at least Germany. On his web shop you can order the boards. https://mantisshop.de/search/index/sSearch/natural+koncept?p=1

I am considering getting one for my collection. I would love if they could do a re-issue of one of the Omegas boards :)

jzradical

• Rep: 19
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2021, 12:29:12 PM »
Wow! Hyped to see all the action on Slap!

We love and appreciate your support.

Natural Koncept did start in Hawaii but has been run out of my NYC apartment the past 15+ years.

Definitely respect the roots in Hawaii though. Katch created all of those sick graphics back in the day.
Since 2005sh we added riders Bonestalone from Virginia, JJ Colon from CT (2008) TalKual and Juan Pablo Velez from Colombia (2010), Carlo Carezzano from Santo Domingo (2018) - currently living in NYC.
These are the skaters that kept coming on tour, working hard and filming full parts for our videos...

Naturally we moved on, but the grit and skate rat in our crew shines' hard every single day in the streets...

Mad respect to our OG's:
Katch, Sean S., Choppy Omega, Kale Sandridge, Caz Helmstetter, Sam Clemens, Roger Cabodul, Ian Okui, Chris Kays, Bobby Rodriguez aka Bob Gnarly, Larry Schuster, Craig Williams, Billy Wilson, Aaron Spitko, Darryl "HeyHead" Freeman, Richard "Bronson" Gregory, Nick Yamasato, Aaron Sheare, Craig Whitehead, Jeff Logan, Trevor Uriona, Wade Abreu, Adrian McElhaney, Adrian Mallory, Sean Reilly and we will never forget Brendan Leung. R.I.P.

We're so thankful for all the amazing memories from this crew...
Caz's barn jump stands out as a big one. So many Choppy stories it's impossible to put into words and Kale is still crushing' pools in Hawaii to this day. Such a G.

Sean Reilly is putting out footage on the daily. Rippin' every spot to shreds with his Shitty Kids Crew.

Chris Kays is skating hard and runs Hickam skatepark in Oahu.

Dave "the Dave" Davis is still on the team ripping in Denver.

Our new artist is a NYC legend named Dalt One. I met him in the LES art scene back in 2011.

We're about to release our 7th full length in April 2021 - untitled at the moment.

The previous 6 were:
Illegitimate Bastard Child (edited by Katch and myself)
Dysfunctional Family (edited by Katch and myself)
Creepin' 4 Life (edited by me)
High Class Creepin' (edited by me)
Creepin' Across the USA (edited by me)
Steady Creepin' (edited by me)

Anyway that's where we're at today.
We appreciate all of the core skaters and shops that continue to support us - Magic Bullet, Labor, KCDC, Pacific Drive, Circle A, Bills Wheels, SPOT, Stratosphere... and so many more.
We finally got distribution back in Europe through MDCN out of Hamburg.

Keep rippin' tough in the streets!
JZ RAdicaL
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:44:00 PM by jzradical »

Cash bandicoot

• Rep: 4
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2021, 01:12:55 PM »

I had no idea Bob Gnarly was a skater. Wasn't this a name of a famous YouTube channel that posted skate videos?

It was lockedbobgnarly then it got shutdown and it was called lockedbobgnarlyagain , I too didn't know bob gnarly was an actual skater hahaha.
a venn diagram showing the intersection of mediocre, garbage, and even-toed ungulates

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2021, 01:28:02 PM »
Expand Quote

I had no idea Bob Gnarly was a skater. Wasn't this a name of a famous YouTube channel that posted skate videos?
[close]

It was lockedbobgnarly then it got shutdown and it was called lockedbobgnarlyagain , I too didn't know bob gnarly was an actual skater hahaha.

It was bobgnarly first, then he got copyrighted out of that account so it became 'locked' bob gnarly.

There used to be a couple of great channels around, (re)posting parts in 240p.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2021, 01:38:10 PM »
Yo! @jzradical, thanks for posting. Any info/side stories you can tell us about Darryl "Heyhead" Freeman's infamous tow-in to the launch ramp on the bridge? Like what the fuck was he thinking? Did they just haul that thing on a truck and hold up traffic putting it in place? Where was this?

I think it's one of the greatest moments in skateboard history.

jzradical

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2021, 02:27:08 PM »
it was filmed on the bridge going from mission beach to ocean beach. i don't know who built the ramp or exactly who HayHead was with, but we were blown away when he sent us the footy!

I'm pretty sure it was first try. They pulled up, put the launch ramp in a spot HayHead felt it should be and than got into position and went for it.

HayHead was throwing up blood after it though. I remember him telling us the next time we saw him.

I was living in Pacific Beach at the time and everyone was talking about it.

Than it hit tv shows and stuff which blew it up crazy..

HayHead is such an epic human being with a true passion for skateboarding.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2021, 02:36:14 PM »
haha wow thats fucked. the fact that one Feet First still exists is nuts. maybe the manager at the Brick location was in cahoots with natty konch or something trading wall/ window space for bud. bc that shop was packed with so much NK product it was like a nattykonch outlet pretty much. 14 year old me in 2003 wasnt aware how dope this thread was gonna be otherwise i would have stocked up.

free max b

Damn I haven’t Thought about feet first in a super long time. The Ocean County Mall location in Toms River always had a shitload of Think decks in my memory. Never really knew if it was a chain or a one-off or what.

Anyway, I used to watch NKs Illegitimate Bastard Child all the time with my white dreadlock roommate back in the day. We unironically thought it was sick af. We were also huge into the Satori vids and wearing hemp iPaths and brown corduroys. Some of that shit still holds up today, some of it doesn’t. Always appreciated how far removed NK seemed from “the industry.”

cky enthusiast

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2021, 02:36:52 PM »
Wow! Hyped to see all the action on Slap!

We love and appreciate your support.

Natural Koncept did start in Hawaii but has been run out of my NYC apartment the past 15+ years.

Definitely respect the roots in Hawaii though. Katch created all of those sick graphics back in the day.
Since 2005sh we added riders Bonestalone from Virginia, JJ Colon from CT (2008) TalKual and Juan Pablo Velez from Colombia (2010), Carlo Carezzano from Santo Domingo (2018) - currently living in NYC.
These are the skaters that kept coming on tour, working hard and filming full parts for our videos...

Naturally we moved on, but the grit and skate rat in our crew shines' hard every single day in the streets...

Mad respect to our OG's:
Katch, Sean S., Choppy Omega, Kale Sandridge, Caz Helmstetter, Sam Clemens, Roger Cabodul, Ian Okui, Chris Kays, Bobby Rodriguez aka Bob Gnarly, Larry Schuster, Craig Williams, Billy Wilson, Darryl "HayHead" Freeman, Richard "Bronson" Gregory, Nick Yamasato, Aaron Sheare, Craig Whitehead, Adrian Mallory, Sean Reilly and we will never forget Brendan Leung. R.I.P.

We're so thankful for all the amazing memories from this crew...
Caz's barn jump stands out as a big one. So many Choppy stories it's impossible to put into words and Kale is still crushing' pools in Hawaii to this day. Such a G.

Sean Reilly is putting out footage on the daily. Rippin' every spot to shreds with his Shitty Kids Crew.

Chris Kays is skating hard and runs Hickam skatepark in Oahu.

Dave "the Dave" Davis is still on the team ripping in Denver.

Our new artist is a NYC legend named Dalt One. I met him in the LES art scene back in 2011.

We're about to release our 7th full length in April 2021 - untitled at the moment.

The previous 6 were:
Illegitimate Bastard Child (edited by Katch and myself)
Dysfunctional Family (edited by Katch and myself)
Creepin' 4 Life (edited by me)
High Class Creepin' (edited by me)
Creepin' Across the USA (edited by me)
Steady Creepin' (edited by me)

Anyway that's where we're at today.
We appreciate all of the core skaters and shops that continue to support us - Magic Bullet, Labor, KCDC, Pacific Drive, Circle A, Bills Wheels, SPOT, Stratosphere... and so many more.
We finally got distribution back in Europe through MDCN out of Hamburg.

Keep rippin' tough in the streets!
JZ RAdicaL

!!!!!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2021, 02:40:36 PM »

NK if youre hiring and need a dude in NY Philly lmk im with it.

^^

jzradical

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2021, 07:09:41 PM »

I remember Tom stocked heavy on NK. It was our biggest account at the time in NJ for sure!
All the employees were mad cool and rocked Natural Koncept gear.
We made a trip out to see Tom and the crew back in the day...did a video premier in the shop, gave out a ton of stickers and t-shirts and than went skating with a big crew in AC. Such an epic trip and easy since we were coming from NYC.
free max b

jzradical

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2021, 07:18:29 PM »
Expand Quote
The first time I heard of Natural Koncept was when I was hanging out watching a videos at this house a bunch of my friends were living at in maybe 2014 or 2015 in the winter. They put on on of the videos and I can remember the video made me feel bad. I don't remember what about the video or the video itself at all really, I just remember it sort of made me sad. I remember just leaving after and walking back to the where I was living at the time and just going right to my room and just sitting in bed after. I'm pretty sensitive though.
[close]

The first time I heard of Natural Koncept was when I watched this video of a nearby skatepark. Before I knew anything about trick selection, I still knew something about the way these guys skated was just a bit... off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYIy10KuqB8

The bs540 one footer at 0:33 really impressed me at the time, but check out 1:23 to see what I mean.

This trip was a lot of fun.  Everyone flew into NYC and stayed at my studio apartment on St. Marks Place and than we took a bus to TSX. It was only a couple hours away.
Ingrid ran the shop and styled us out for the weekend with a place to stay and of course ordered a bunch of boards and t's.  Kays, Billy Wilson, Dave "The Dave" Davis and of course Brendan "Lai Wing" Leung (R.I.P.) crushed the demo and a few street spots. Alec Gabler was on shop flow at the time and ripped too. Good times!

jzradical

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2021, 07:25:45 PM »
Natty Kon is the real Baker.

Illegitimate Bastard Child is one of the greatest skate videos of all time and I'm not being facetious.

Darryl "Heyhead" Freeman's part is maybe the best part under one minute of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ZOWMc7UVc

huge shout out to Andrew Reynolds for showing mad support for Natural Koncept over the years.
Nuge, Figgy, Dill and Brian Anderson too all still to this day tell me how much they love NK.

I agree this part from HeyHead is unreal! Some Wild shit right here.

jzradical

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2021, 07:27:08 PM »
Bob Gnarly is my Avitar.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/features/natural-koncept-creepin-it-real-east-coast-tour-update/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-DaTF2xuAfo

This won Thrasher trick of the year in 2003. Bob Gnarly was fearless. One of the gnarliest I've seen skate in person.

jzradical

jzradical

« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2021, 07:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
I think it's hilarious this is a thread. Definitely never would have thought Watson would fuck with the Natty Konch.  ;D
[close]

Dude I love me some raw ass weirdo shit. Natty Kon fits right in there. It's like Gummo or Memory Screen but from the other side of the lens.

Also funny you should bring this all up. Craig Williams is my homie through working with Ultimate, and Aaron Shear has two tricks in Illegitimate Bastard Child from my home town Saskatoon. Kickflip frontside noselide at a demo at a hockey rink park I worked at, and back tail on a long out ledge off a five stair. That's a legendary trick to go down on that thing and I'm so hyped it's in that video.

Craig Williams and Aaron ripped so hard! They held it down for Canada for a long time! All time rulers right there.

jzradical

« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2021, 07:31:38 PM »
A friend of mine who rode for them for years just uploaded (poorly) a bunch of photos from 2000-2001 to facebook and there were a few from the tour I went on with the Canadian riders down to ASR in San Diego one of those years. I have no clue where the first picture was taken, but that's our friend and the guy who was repping the brand in Canada at the time, Jay Wainwright on the left, next to Jeff Logan, then Aaron Sheare (he's the one who posted the pics), then me, then Craig Williams. Lying on us is Ryan Hamilton who was the photographer for the trip and room mate of Craig and Aaron's. I can't remember if Aaron had a pro board but Craig and Jeff did. I was there to film. It was a wild trip.

The second photo is of the whole crew from Natural Koncepts at Ruth's Chris steakhouse in San Diego. The guy sitting right in front of me was one of the co-owners but I think they had a falling out sometime later on. The incredibly poor quality of these photos is on brand with NK media output so I think it's fitting.

I think it's hilarious this is a thread. Definitely never would have thought Watson would fuck with the Natty Konch.  ;D

The first photo with everyone on the couch was shot at my friend Jays house on Ingraham street in Pacific Beach. Good times.

jzradical

« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2021, 07:34:27 PM »
Natural Koncept has always been very fascinating to me. Especially Choppy Omega. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JprWhlK3Qu0 This part is so insane.

It is true that the company was used to white wash drug money from Hawaii and that is the reason that even though they had an add in every TWS mag and a massive team since the mid nineties you hardly ever saw their products any where.

To me Natural Koncept was fascinating from a distance.

We had ads in Big Brother, Thrasher & Slap and a few Canadian zines. Choppy Omega forever!

jzradical

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2021, 07:37:34 PM »
This TWS montage is full of gold too. I dug his style; sorta Moul-esque.
Https://youtu.be/puijeTpF3iA

Miss you so much Brendan. We bring up stories of you in the tour van all of the time to this day. You're such a legend and will never be forgotten. Those 540 1-foots and Sal Flip disasters are next level. R.I.P.

jzradical

« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2021, 07:39:10 PM »
for some reason my brain combines nk with graffix that plastic bong company

The reason is because Choppy rode for Graffix. I'm pretty sure he had some ads in the zine at that time as well.