Author Topic: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line  (Read 22139 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:38:31 PM »
Information provided by tiktok/reddit, and confirmed by some other Vans employees in their Vans discord server. Apparently the line of black/white Vans (with the little checkermark tags) that just released is the first step into doing this.

from r/Vans

Expand Quote
how much will the new pros be?
[close]
$10 more than the current ones. But considering they are using way more premium materials and adding things like elastic bands on the tongue I can kind of understand it. Still annoying tho.

(Leaked?)Photos of a couple of the Skate Classic pairs.

The pair in the first image is already released:

https://www.vans.com/shop/mens-shoes-skate/skate-sport-director-blue

Completely redesigned with skaters in mind, the all-new Skate Classics line delivers more of what skaters need to enable maximum progression. Made with a fully revised upper, molded heel counter, locked-in tongue straps, and a recut of the DURACAP™ underlay, the Skate Classics Sport offers an essential fit that is more breathable and durable where skaters need it most. The two-part foxing, featuring a tougher toe knurl, ensures heightened board contact, and the redesigned gum rubber sole that made Vans famous has been further elevated with the SICKSTICK™ rubber compound plus an internal heel shank to deliver more grip, more boardfeel, more support, and more durability. Along with a new sidewall finish, POPCUSH™ sockliners for superior cushioning and impact protection, and old school V sidestripes, the new Skate Classics Sport gives you the iconic look you want—with all the performance benefits that real skaters demand. It is made with sturdy suede and leather uppers. •

NEW SKATE CLASSICS - An iconic style engineered specifically for skateboarding. •

FULLY REVISED UPPERS - Made with sturdy suede and leather, and featuring locked-in tongue straps and two-part foxing for heightened board contact. •

LEGENDARY GRIP - Our new, proprietary SICKSTICK™ gum rubber compound has been elevated to the next level of grip and durability. •

POPCUSH™ CUSHIONING - Our standard best-in-class upgrade, the new POPCUSH™ insoles snap back and won’t pack, providing impact protection and custom energy return for any type of skating. •

UNRIVALED DURABILITY - Reinforced DURACAP™ underlays and are built to withstand the daily abuse of skateboarding.

Sucks that they're raising the price since the low price is one of their strong points, but at least Vans go on sale all the time. I don't really see what problems they're solving as I thought the tongue straps were already standard. IMO it seems they're looking for nonexistent problems?

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
Re: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 02:31:21 PM »
Doesn't look like the increases are happening? That "Skate Sport" ($70 on vans.com) looks like the update to the former "Epoch Sport Pro" (Was $75 on vans.com)
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 02:50:00 PM »
The price raises appear to be happening and CCS is one place where it is live already. As we see them trickle into shops, I'm sure we can compare what shops will stick to this supposed NEW suggested MSRP $  jump. Maybe CCS is one of the only places to put that price tag on it?

CCS: https://shop.ccs.com/shoes/vans?order=newest

EDIT: These shops also have the new price on the 'Skate' models they did order so I think it's likely to be confirmed
Skate Warehouse, Uprise, Bluetile SC

Seems like:
Old Skool is a $10 increase
Sk8-Hi is a $15 (yikes) increase
Authentic, Era, Slip-On are a $5 increase

The Sk8-Hi should not be more than $80, in my opinion. The others... I'm on the fence with their new price tags.

Maybe, since the "Skate Sport"  is a newer model/addition/re-addition, it didn't get the price bump? Not sure, but it hasn't been in the Pro Classics line as long as the others, that's why I think it didn't go up. Maybe they dropped the price on that one because it's "less shoe" than Old Skool but more than the Slipon, Era, Authentic?
Super Champion Fun Zone

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 03:21:09 PM »
don't know about anyone else but i really don't like the elastic that is being added to a lot of shoes for the tongue. i've never really had an issue with the tongue not staying centered (i thought that's what tongue straps were for anyway), and the way they sit against my feet in shoes just feels super odd. wonder how it would affect overall construction if i cut the bands out.

stets

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 04:25:50 PM »
The price raises appear to be happening and CCS is one place where it is live already. As we see them trickle into shops, I'm sure we can compare what shops will stick to this supposed NEW suggested MSRP $  jump. Maybe CCS is one of the only places to put that price tag on it?

EDIT: These shops also have the new price on the 'Skate' models they did order so I think it's likely to be confirmed

Seems like:

The Sk8-Hi should not be more than $80, in my opinion. The others... I'm on the fence with their new price tags.

Maybe, since the "Skate Sport"  is a newer model/addition/re-addition, it didn't get the price bump? Not sure, but it hasn't been in the Pro Classics line as long as the others, that's why I think it didn't go up. Maybe they dropped the price on that one because it's "less shoe" than Old Skool but more than the Slipon, Era, Authentic?

I think those all black with white stitching ones were some sort of upgraded material though right, like a more heavy duty canvas alternative? So that was an upcharge in price? We'll see what the true price comparison is whenever we see the classic black/white and navy colorways in suede/canvas I bet.

Side note, people are complaining about an $85 Sk8-Hi, but are fine with the SB Blazer Mids that are always $85 or more, despite being a simpler shoe than the Sk8-Hi? Blazers have a simple sheet insole, hollowed out rubber ribs under the heel for that heel-raise, and simpler paneling... while the Sk8-Hi has a thicker molded foam insole instead of the rubber ribs, and more going on with the panels and duracap and such. Just something I found interesting, how Nike fans are cool with that price for less of a shoe.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 04:50:39 PM »
don't know about anyone else but i really don't like the elastic that is being added to a lot of shoes for the tongue. i've never really had an issue with the tongue not staying centered (i thought that's what tongue straps were for anyway), and the way they sit against my feet in shoes just feels super odd. wonder how it would affect overall construction if i cut the bands out.
Ive cut the bands out on a couple pairs of pro models in the past, for me its more comfortable

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 04:56:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ive cut the bands out on a couple pairs of pro models in the past, for me its more comfortable

Yes quite a few people just straight up cut out the elastic completely, but I have not had an issue with it in some shoes I had, going back a while the AV skate low being the main ones.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ldmch11

• Rep: -4
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 05:12:29 PM »
the tongue on the half cab moves around a lot, doesnt bother me that much to justify a $10+ increase

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 05:27:30 PM »
Expand Quote

Seems like:

[close]

I think those all black with white stitching ones were some sort of upgraded material though right, like a more heavy duty canvas alternative? So that was an upcharge in price? We'll see what the true price comparison is whenever we see the classic black/white and navy colorways in suede/canvas I bet.

Side note, people are complaining about an $85 Sk8-Hi, but are fine with the SB Blazer Mids that are always $85 or more, despite being a simpler shoe than the Sk8-Hi? Blazers have a simple sheet insole, hollowed out rubber ribs under the heel for that heel-raise, and simpler paneling... while the Sk8-Hi has a thicker molded foam insole instead of the rubber ribs, and more going on with the panels and duracap and such. Just something I found interesting, how Nike fans are cool with that price for less of a shoe.

I've skated both Blazer Mid and Sk8 Hi Pro and I've only bought one or two pairs each at full price (certain colorways). I got lucky and found them both on sale for about $50-60 so I tried them both out a few times each. The Blazer was far more durable and comfortable in my opinion than Sk8Hi Pro. I did need to swap insoles in the Nike but otherwise, a near perfect vulc shoe. Wish it were slightly cheaper though.
Sk8Hi Pro was good but I burned through the rubber outsole  and they got soggy pretty quick. That did not happen to on Blazers. Just the heel cup collapsing a little bit.

To me, the price difference made sense, since I got ~2 months out of Blazers, where I was lucky to get a little over 1 month in Vans. Arguably, fewer panels and tech compared to Vans but the quality is better for what you get. That said, I skate neither now and only run cupsoles. This info and pricing is for those actually gonna rock em! Haha

Edit: I'm actually a huge fan of shoes adding elastic tongue bands, since the shoe fits more snug on your foot and the tongue stays more in place. That said, not every brand does the material or placement right. SoleTech and Nike Seem to do it really well. KWalks 1s were comfortable, but beyond that, not sure how good the Vans ones are.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 06:25:27 PM »
Vans is continuing their long standing tradition of no two pairs of Half Cabs fitting/feeling the same, I see.

Diocletian

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 10:44:41 PM »
Has anyone tried these new Vans yet? Curious if the toebox has been widened at all. I had to stop skating their Pro Classics because they changed the last to a skinnier mold and every model destroys my pinky toes.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 144
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 06:10:55 AM »
Has anyone tried these new Vans yet? Curious if the toebox has been widened at all. I had to stop skating their Pro Classics because they changed the last to a skinnier mold and every model destroys my pinky toes.

I picked up a pair of the new checkered tag slip-ons and no. My wide-ass feet couldn't fit in them before, and they can't now. They don't even seem to have any stretch because the Duracap is so rigid. Still, see if you can try them yourself; I might just have monster feet.

Diocletian

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 10:45:33 AM »
I'm going to take your word for it and still avoid Vans. Thanks!

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 02:02:00 PM »

They also have more models/colors on their story

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 03:05:47 PM »
Vans is continuing their long standing tradition of no two pairs of Half Cabs fitting/feeling the same, I see.

Post made me laugh and cry simultaneously

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 05:56:34 PM »
As was posted in the Shoe thread:

https://ninetimesskateshop.com/collections/vans/products/vans-skate-half-cab-black-white

The canvas parts might help but might not compared to the all suede versions I prefer too.

In the bigger pic, the ankle collar and side panel are canvas. 

These pics when opened in their own window are huge, so have a lot of detail too.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 04:46:33 PM »
xpost upcoming shoe thread

I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to post pictures.

I got the Skate Classic Authentics today. Here are the changes aside from the checkerboard tag everyone wants to bitch about.

Here is the box.

Here are the shoes. It came with a set of cream laces as well.

Here's the close up of the foxing tape. It's glossy, but not too noticeable from a distance. If you ever had a pair of the Converse 70s, it's the same thing.

Here is the heel tab.

The heelcup is super sturdy. It feels like a sturdy piece of plastic instead of cardboard. Takes a bit of effort to push down and compress it. When I put the shoes on, the heeltab didn't dig into my heel and didn't cause discomfort or bleeding.

The tongue has two elastic straps.

Here's the underside of the tongue.

Here's the view of the toebox. It seems slimmer than usual, but I can't confirm this as I don't have another pair of Authentics. The toebox has about 1/2" of room before the suede starts.

Let's look at the insole. It's a different version of the Popcush that released in 2020. Comparing it to insoles from my Rowans. These insoles have only been walked around in.

Turning over the insoles, they have different designs. The Skate Classic insole (bottom) feels more sturdy than hard than the Rowan Popcush (top). The Skate Classic insole also feels smooth, almost like a soft plastic.

The Skate Classic insole is lower than the Rowan Popcush.

Bending these insoles together shows that the Skate Classic insole is much firm, while the Rowan Popcush is much easier to bend.

The fit is TTS. The shoe also feels more secure to my feet, compared to my crappy Ultracush-era Eras. I don't know how these skate (yet) as I mainly got these for a daily shoe.

tldr there's way more changes aside from the checkerboard tag you baby

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 07:38:17 PM »
All the new ones don't seem to be anywhere near as expensive as the first ones released, so they might have had second thoughts on trying to hike them up that much, or someone realised they would sell many more at more reasonable prices.

Any of you happy campers seen this too?

Newly added stronger piece of something from the heel to the arch looks good for stopping primo pain or other injuries.

It is in all the new line of shoes, the added stonger heel piece under the footbed in the sole of the shoe.

Apparently you can just see it in the right light.

michael scarn

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 08:07:17 PM »
axel and gio are so buck.

Will hopefully see another axel part this year

Lunker

• Rep: 4
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 09:32:40 PM »
My coworker raised a point to me earlier today about how Vans didn't discount the already existing Pro Classics line and seem to have just swept them off the shelves and website. Fingers crossed they're not landfill bound.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 04:28:15 AM »
My coworker raised a point to me earlier today about how Vans didn't discount the already existing Pro Classics line and seem to have just swept them off the shelves and website. Fingers crossed they're not landfill bound.

They were heavily marked down on the Vans site for the past few weeks. A lot of them were like $20-30. Whatever was left is probably now at the outlets.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 05:53:53 AM »
I've snagged a couple of pairs so far. the black ones that were skate shop only, and yesterday I went to buy a pair of the classic blue/grey and they were swapped out for the new pros on the vans site, so I picked em up.

Interesting to hear people say that the old toe box wouldnt work for them. I've always thought of myself as having a wide foot (and a 13!) and Ive never really had that problem with vans. What I hate that is that I cant wear slipons as the tongue is way too clamped down. I have to cut the little white side things and that's probably not really great for support for skating.
ok thanks

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 08:48:03 AM »
Are Vans not on parade? They only came up in the UK store.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 10:36:20 AM »

I've seen them in abundance on the outlet walls.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 10:46:19 AM »
SICKSTICK™
POPCUSH™

Oh, man.

chimps

• Rep: 0
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »
I've snagged a couple of pairs so far. the black ones that were skate shop only, and yesterday I went to buy a pair of the classic blue/grey and they were swapped out for the new pros on the vans site, so I picked em up.

Interesting to hear people say that the old toe box wouldnt work for them. I've always thought of myself as having a wide foot (and a 13!) and Ive never really had that problem with vans. What I hate that is that I cant wear slipons as the tongue is way too clamped down. I have to cut the little white side things and that's probably not really great for support for skating.

So the new skate classics fit like the og classics and not the pros in terms of toebox??? Ill be stoked if thats the case. Guess ill need to hunt some down to try

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2021, 10:59:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've seen them in abundance on the outlet walls.

I saw something on reddit that they upped the employee discount on the Pro's. Nordstrom also had a bunch. I imagine the leftovers will end up at ross etc

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 11:27:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So the new skate classics fit like the og classics and not the pros in terms of toebox??? Ill be stoked if thats the case. Guess ill need to hunt some down to try

Yeah I'd say so, at least for the slip-ons. I have wide-ass hobbit feet and my toes would be swimming in the Pro Skate slip-ons, but the new guys fit more like the classics. Sk8-His have always felt a half size too big for me regardless of the model and the Skate Sk8-His are no different.

For me the true fit test will be with the Skate Authentics. The classics were the only shoes I wore for a good decade and the Pro Skates felt awful compared to them--somehow too long but also an ingrown toenail factory with the way the insole would press your toes up against the upper. Would love to hear about how the new ones fit if anyone has tried them.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 11:28:27 AM »
Vans outlets have a buy one get one free deal going on now. They're also a corporation, they're going to try to get as much $$$ as they can.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1371
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2021, 02:32:12 PM »
I’ve got a pair of the Pros and a pair of the Skate Classics on deck.

The original Half-Cab is one of my favourite shoes, so I’m really interested to see how these variations will compare to it, and also to each other (if there’s really any change).

I’m actually fascinated by the mixed reviews. I’ve tried both on and they feel great - the tongue on both were pinching the top of my feet but that’s a minor gripe.

Of course I need to skate in them to make a final judgment. Would suck if the Pros are the best shoes I’ve ever had since they’ve been discontinued.