Author Topic: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line  (Read 22040 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2021, 03:40:39 AM »
Anyone got a pair of the new Eras?   Wondering how they go.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »
So now I am into a pair of the new slip ons and two new pairs of the his...

The slipons, oddly, felt WAY better to me initially than the previous model (where I would have to cut the fucking tongue straps to fit my foot), but the left one was incredibly hard to get on. I didnt skate in them - I just wore them around for the day and, predictably, I got a massive heel blister on my left foot, which meant I skated all day yesterday in my old style half-cabs, in pain.

I've got one pair of black/white new half cabs as well, and I am thinking about ordering the NJ SS brick ones. All hail Gall.

Overall, for me, jury is still out. the stiffness is not great, but I will say that that does break in and get better. They just have a...flatness, at least in the Hi's, that is still weird to me.
ok thanks

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2021, 10:50:56 AM »
The new half cabs are the truth. Weirdly shiny sole but god damn are the tongue straps and slightly deeper tread a god send. The heel cradle is very stable (my foot feels supported and protected). My 14 yr old self would be happy to see his old bald counterpart.

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2021, 11:03:35 AM »
did they make the heel higher on the eras/slipons?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2021, 08:07:26 PM »
So now I am into a pair of the new slip ons and two new pairs of the his...

The slipons, oddly, felt WAY better to me initially than the previous model (where I would have to cut the fucking tongue straps to fit my foot), but the left one was incredibly hard to get on. I didnt skate in them - I just wore them around for the day and, predictably, I got a massive heel blister on my left foot, which meant I skated all day yesterday in my old style half-cabs, in pain.

I've got one pair of black/white new half cabs as well, and I am thinking about ordering the NJ SS brick ones. All hail Gall.

Overall, for me, jury is still out. the stiffness is not great, but I will say that that does break in and get better. They just have a...flatness, at least in the Hi's, that is still weird to me.

I always found putting old insoles in new shoes almost stops blisters and issues, then put the new insoles into older shoes to give them that little bit more "new cushion feel" as they get thinner underneath.

Those Vans insoles always took a bit to squash down and had significant rubbing until they did wear in a bit more.

That is just me though, and I know everyone is different.

I don't think it is so much higher, more so the insole heel is not as tall, so your foot sits better in the shoe and the back part around the ankle is more firm to hold it in there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2021, 08:17:55 PM »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2021, 11:01:47 PM »
I can only speak on the slips but yeah they are slightly higher. I would imagine it's due to the more substantial heel construction. It's not softish floppy rubber anymore. It feels more like a heel cup that your ankle sits in. They didn't wear hard on my achilles like old pro slips did but they still require a couple day walk around break in I think because they are tighter across the forefoot. I think the changes are fine and for the better but the fit is a little different.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

SuperRupp

• Rep: 1
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2021, 02:30:09 AM »
I got the off white slip ons.super nice looking color way but they’ve been a little off for me so far. Never skated any of the slip ons pro before. I was always into more of an Eras or Rowley solos shape. The first few days just walking around in them the top of my foot was getting super sore from how incredibly tight it was. They were literally strangling my feet. Swapped out for some thinner Dr Scholls and they’ve been a lot better now after 2 weeks in them. Might try to swap back to the regular insoles now that they’re stretched out some.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2021, 01:58:43 AM »
This would be a good conversation in this thread too.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried the new reinforced halfcabs? Halfcabs are basically the only shoe I skate, but I heard the sizing is slimmer than the pro.
Are they any less bulky in the upper either?
Wear a 9.5 in the pro because I like a snug fit.
[close]

There have been some mixed reactions to them, it would seem, but if you cannot try them on in person, get the same size you normally wear.
[close]
Same size as the pros. They're pretty rigid and shitty feeling though. I don't recommend.
[close]
they are rigid but i disagree on shitty, they will be more durable in the long run and dont potatoe out.
[close]

Agreed. All my old halfcabs are super flaccid. I have one pair of Rowan pros just as old and they still feel nice and firm so I’m hoping the new halfcabs last longer in the toe area and don’t get floppy after a month like the rowans.

It is funny that the shoes nowdays feel like they are so much softer and thinner than older shoes of the same style, mainly the Classic Sk8 Hi, Half Cab and some other shoes now last half as long as my older ones which just feel so much stronger and stiffer, even when they are almost dead.  I do recall people complaining about them being too stiff at one point so everything was made thinner or softer, but then they flop out or don't last as long, so then they go back to stronger / stiffer, etc.

The new Skate range have definitely upped the game all round, but I am still yet to even see any in person.  From the one pair of Rowans I have I can definitely feel the difference in the rubber gum sole right away, which feel a lot closer to my Classic Half Cabs from about ten years ago.

I would say that is a win, but everyone has their own opinions.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2021, 02:13:31 PM »
I fucking hate these pieces of shit.

Been skating Old Skool Pros almost exclusively for a while. The toe box on these updates are way too slim and stiff. My right foot is slightly wider than my left and I rely on Vans to accommodate to a wider foot. Not anymore. My big toe is folded over the other.

Ain't broke, don't fix it. Vans blew it BAD on these.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2021, 02:22:56 PM »

Been skating Old Skool Pros almost exclusively for a while. The toe box on these updates are way too slim and stiff. My right foot is slightly wider than my left and I rely on Vans to accommodate to a wider foot. Not anymore. My big toe is folded over the other.

Yep, pure fuckin garbage.
I sold 2x hi-tops, 1x slip-on, and 1x half-cabs of the new shit today. All of it worn 2-3 times. Obviously I lost a lot of money on it but just wanted them out.

Box of LRAB just arrived...let's hope for the best, but I'm fuckin done with vans.
ok thanks

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2021, 03:23:22 PM »
I mentioned earlier that I tried out a pair of the Skate Half-Cabs and wasn't too enthused. I'll give them another try, though.

I just skated both my pair of the Half-Cab Pro, and the regular, standard Half-Cabs in a session today. The Pro wasn't actually that bad, decent flick and comfort, but the heel does feel pretty high in comparison to the midsole and toebox. Also, the grip feels a bit slippery. I'll definitely skate them again, though. I got the military-coloured jawns.

And no surprise, the standard Half-Cab is one of my favourite shoes and this new pair kept that tradition going. As soon as I put them on I was hyped. Great boardfeel, flick, grip. Same as it ever was.

So for me personally, standard > Pro > Skate for now.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »
Loving my skate cabs and old skools and I have super wide feet? Idk. Classics are nice but I can't do the stock insoles in them.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »
This is the wrong thread to post this likely but how hard is it to cut the insoles out of the OG version? I found some old skools for hella cheap and want to skate them. Or can I just put another insole on top?
The chillest1

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2021, 04:20:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yep, pure fuckin garbage.
I sold 2x hi-tops, 1x slip-on, and 1x half-cabs of the new shit today. All of it worn 2-3 times. Obviously I lost a lot of money on it but just wanted them out.

Box of LRAB just arrived...let's hope for the best, but I'm fuckin done with vans.
All of this, can't wait to sell my old skools. Hate them. On the other hand I'm skating some slip on pros and I love them. Too bad I'll have to stop skating on them because of cold
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2021, 05:18:08 PM »
This is the wrong thread to post this likely but how hard is it to cut the insoles out of the OG version? I found some old skools for hella cheap and want to skate them. Or can I just put another insole on top?

Some come out really easily, but others are a struggle to get out. so it really varies from shoe to shoe, even some of the same pair - had a left that was hardly even glued down and a right that was glued more than almost any other inner I have had to remove.

I might have done 100+ pairs or more like this, but I will send you the post via Instagram I did, as I think people would be sick of seeing it here.

The thing though is see how the shoe fits first, and you might just get a thin insole in there and it will work, but for me, I wanted that gone so I could put a decently thick insole in and really get the full padding under foot as well as the normal feeling classic shoe.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2021, 05:55:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some come out really easily, but others are a struggle to get out. so it really varies from shoe to shoe, even some of the same pair - had a left that was hardly even glued down and a right that was glued more than almost any other inner I have had to remove.

I might have done 100+ pairs or more like this, but I will send you the post via Instagram I did, as I think people would be sick of seeing it here.

The thing though is see how the shoe fits first, and you might just get a thin insole in there and it will work, but for me, I wanted that gone so I could put a decently thick insole in and really get the full padding under foot as well as the normal feeling classic shoe.
If you're struggling to take it out use a hair dryer.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2021, 06:13:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This ship may have sailed already but my understanding is the less you've worn the shoes, the easier the insole comes out. If you've walked around in them, the glue used to keep them in reheats and sets in even more. They can still come out, it will just be more difficult.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2021, 06:25:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
This ship may have sailed already but my understanding is the less you've worn the shoes, the easier the insole comes out. If you've walked around in them, the glue used to keep them in reheats and sets in even more. They can still come out, it will just be more difficult.

All you guys are legends, thank you. Got a pair of worn in old skools for 16 bucks after taxes. Really appreciate all the advice. Huge thank you to @Mbrimson88
The chillest1

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2021, 06:31:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Definitely makes sense.

Like removing grip, I would often leave them out in the sun for half a day and it was a lot easier too.

More than anything I think it really shows the difference in production - one person puts only a drop or two of glue in and another person covers the whole insole.

I also wonder for those people not finding the love for the new Skate range, if putting a worn in / thinner / other insole in makes a difference for them.  It made a huge difference for me, as I cannot use any of the existing insoles in the Vans shoes since they went from a flat shape to the current shape.

6000 sux

• Rep: 16
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2021, 09:50:05 AM »

as a dedicated old skool pro man this post scared me quite a bit, will be stocking up on old skool pros while they are still available

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2021, 07:02:08 PM »
Does anyone know if the Grosso Sk8 Mids or the new Grosso shoes have that new elastic bit on the tongue to keep it in place?

ldmch11

• Rep: -4
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2021, 08:47:47 PM »
gonna grab a pair of the new half cabs this weekend. i like a stiffer shoe and love that they put in tongue straps.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2021, 08:57:03 PM »
Does anyone know if the Grosso Sk8 Mids or the new Grosso shoes have that new elastic bit on the tongue to keep it in place?
Yes they do

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2021, 09:43:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes they do

Great thanks.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2021, 11:26:37 PM »
gonna grab a pair of the new half cabs this weekend. i like a stiffer shoe and love that they put in tongue straps.

i got half cabs because the checkered flag ruins the the clean classic aesthetic on all of the others for me, and the cabs look great.
they're not really much stiffer.  maybe when you just put them on, but i do the twist, fold and roll for a minute thing on the forefoot of all my shoes so they already feel broken in right off.

in one of these threads i mentioned that popcush seems like an upgrade, but i wrote that about some shoes in the wear around the house phase.  it's the same shit just purple. 
after a short roll around i immediately switched the popcush for some thinner stiffer NB# insoles (the orange ones) and attribute any increased stability more to that than any of vans' "innovations". 

but they do have tongue straps now so that's something.  hopefully they flip that unsightly flag over at some point, although i'll prob just stick to crocketts over any of the classics because it took years for my menisci to get back to good.
*knocks on wood and 440s

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2021, 12:51:12 AM »
With this new skinny toe box, would it help to size up?

Also, anyone cop the Eras? I’m keen.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2021, 10:36:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i got half cabs because the checkered flag ruins the the clean classic aesthetic on all of the others for me, and the cabs look great.
they're not really much stiffer.  maybe when you just put them on, but i do the twist, fold and roll for a minute thing on the forefoot of all my shoes so they already feel broken in right off.

in one of these threads i mentioned that popcush seems like an upgrade, but i wrote that about some shoes in the wear around the house phase.  it's the same shit just purple. 
after a short roll around i immediately switched the popcush for some thinner stiffer NB# insoles (the orange ones) and attribute any increased stability more to that than any of vans' "innovations". 

but they do have tongue straps now so that's something.  hopefully they flip that unsightly flag over at some point, although i'll prob just stick to crocketts over any of the classics because it took years for my menisci to get back to good.
*knocks on wood and 440s

I cut the checkerboard flag thing off the heel of my pair. I don't know why they added that to a shoe that never had anything back there?? Luckily it's easy enough to snip with scissors.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2021, 12:44:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

*knocks on wood and 440s
[close]

I cut the checkerboard flag thing off the heel of my pair. I don't know why they added that to a shoe that never had anything back there?? Luckily it's easy enough to snip with scissors.

It is much easier to complain about the tag instead of using a complex tool like scissors to cut the tag off. That's a project that could easily eat up an entire weekend. You gotta source the right kind of scissors, make sure they are properly sharpened, come up with a plan as to what side of the tag you will cut first, and the intense process of cleaning up all of the debris.
How much for an order of ribs?

briancoco

• Rep: 4
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2021, 12:51:09 PM »
I have the skate half cabs and they've been skating pretty good. They took a long time to break in for me but after all the stiffness went away I was able to skate good.