Author Topic: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line  (Read 22170 times)

NowhereInLife

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
Re: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
gonna grab a pair of the new half cabs this weekend. i like a stiffer shoe and love that they put in tongue straps.
[close]

i got half cabs because the checkered flag ruins the the clean classic aesthetic on all of the others for me, and the cabs look great.
they're not really much stiffer.  maybe when you just put them on, but i do the twist, fold and roll for a minute thing on the forefoot of all my shoes so they already feel broken in right off.

in one of these threads i mentioned that popcush seems like an upgrade, but i wrote that about some shoes in the wear around the house phase.  it's the same shit just purple. 
after a short roll around i immediately switched the popcush for some thinner stiffer NB# insoles (the orange ones) and attribute any increased stability more to that than any of vans' "innovations". 

but they do have tongue straps now so that's something.  hopefully they flip that unsightly flag over at some point, although i'll prob just stick to crocketts over any of the classics because it took years for my menisci to get back to good.
*knocks on wood and 440s
[close]

I cut the checkerboard flag thing off the heel of my pair. I don't know why they added that to a shoe that never had anything back there?? Luckily it's easy enough to snip with scissors.
[close]

It is much easier to complain about the tag instead of using a complex tool like scissors to cut the tag off. That's a project that could easily eat up an entire weekend. You gotta source the right kind of scissors, make sure they are properly sharpened, come up with a plan as to what side of the tag you will cut first, and the intense process of cleaning up all of the debris.

But then how would vans marketing know to fix it and that sales are dipping?

Have you ever looked at an era with no tag?!  'tis a ghastly sight.

Also I typically prefer an exacto blade when performing any type of shoe surgery.  But your wit is appreciated.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2021, 09:52:22 PM »
With this new skinny toe box, would it help to size up?

Also, anyone cop the Eras? I’m keen.

Best to try in person, but if that is not an option, find somewhere that has an easy returns policy.

Most places have them now, from what I have seen and I follow / watch most shops in AU.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2021, 11:53:14 PM »
Expand Quote
With this new skinny toe box, would it help to size up?

Also, anyone cop the Eras? I’m keen.
[close]

Best to try in person, but if that is not an option, find somewhere that has an easy returns policy.

Most places have them now, from what I have seen and I follow / watch most shops in AU.

Will do, things take a bit longer to get down to Tassie retail

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2021, 09:13:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
gonna grab a pair of the new half cabs this weekend. i like a stiffer shoe and love that they put in tongue straps.
[close]

i got half cabs because the checkered flag ruins the the clean classic aesthetic on all of the others for me, and the cabs look great.
they're not really much stiffer.  maybe when you just put them on, but i do the twist, fold and roll for a minute thing on the forefoot of all my shoes so they already feel broken in right off.

in one of these threads i mentioned that popcush seems like an upgrade, but i wrote that about some shoes in the wear around the house phase.  it's the same shit just purple. 
after a short roll around i immediately switched the popcush for some thinner stiffer NB# insoles (the orange ones) and attribute any increased stability more to that than any of vans' "innovations". 

but they do have tongue straps now so that's something.  hopefully they flip that unsightly flag over at some point, although i'll prob just stick to crocketts over any of the classics because it took years for my menisci to get back to good.
*knocks on wood and 440s
[close]

I cut the checkerboard flag thing off the heel of my pair. I don't know why they added that to a shoe that never had anything back there?? Luckily it's easy enough to snip with scissors.
[close]

It is much easier to complain about the tag instead of using a complex tool like scissors to cut the tag off. That's a project that could easily eat up an entire weekend. You gotta source the right kind of scissors, make sure they are properly sharpened, come up with a plan as to what side of the tag you will cut first, and the intense process of cleaning up all of the debris.

Or even just black it out with a sharpie, I mean, that would require a lot of effort too considering the size of the tag...

mbam003

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
I have skated Vans Authentic and Era Pros for a while now. The secure and snug feeling has helped me learn transition and commit more. I do notice some back pain after skating ledges or doing other skating with impacts involved, but I don't want to give it up. Before I order a pair of Skate Eras, has the design been improved in some other Vans model? Great and secure feeling for transition remains the key, but I would be happy with some extra support. The Era after all is an ancient design. Surely they have created a better model that gets overshadowed by the classics because of aesthetic and habit?

I've been eyeing some DC Infinite S's or Kalis Vulc S's as well, but from what I'm seeing they should perform pretty similar to Vans?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:44:27 AM by mbam003 »

ldmch11

• Rep: -4
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2021, 10:30:12 AM »
First impression of the new half cabs is that they aren't as comfy to wear around as the previous iteration, mostly due to the stiffer collar. But they do feel like a better performing skate shoe. I was never a huge fan of the ultracush insole, but the popcush insole feels like an improvement to me, nothing too crazy though.
Wish they would slim down the tongue a little bit. Like the addition of the tongue straps, but the red dye on the straps rubs off on your socks.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2021, 10:55:58 AM »
Has the old skools and hated them, just came back from skating the slip ons and i hate them even more.
My feet are killing me.
Fuck you Vans, never again.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2021, 04:29:47 PM »
Picked up a pair of the new Grosso Sk8-Mids in red and black for wearing around town. Can confirm that they fit better (to me) than the new Skate Sk8-His and just look sick. 

Interestingly, they do come with the (older?) 3D Ultracush insoles instead of the recut Skate Popcush insoles. They’re a lot harder and plasticky, but with a nice gooey layer on top. I’m curious if anyone has swapped them into any older Pros or new Skate Classics? I don’t really want to go down an insole rabbit hole, but wondering if they’ll feel more supportive and make my feet less sore than the regular or recut Popcush insoles. Basically...anyone notice any significant difference with these?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2021, 04:52:43 PM »
I feel like the new release shoe thread is a good place to find things like that:

The instagram post has the 3D insole pic and people said it was Jeff's preference to have that insole.

I would be keen to try them just to see how different they are to the regular ones, especially with the harder protection around the heel area.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone else notice it has the Ultracush 3D insole, rather than Popcush or other variant?

That is the one with the hard plastic heel to mid part isn't it?

These were in the TNT Advanced Prototype and the Chima shoes that I saw, but could also be in others.

Had a bit of a look and found this:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=98643.0

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
is that darker piece of the 3d insole plastic or gel? from the review it seems like it's plastic but is it really that stiff?
[close]
I think the material is likely the same hard plastic used for support (as opposed to cushioning) in the mid-sole of the  passport model, so not gel like at all.
[close]

it is HARD PLASTIC.  there's the light blue which is flexible, the darker blue which is firmer, but can move, and then there is the clear plastic which is extremely stiff.  I couldnt get it to bend with regular effort and I was sorta scared to crack em. 

yea, the insole is essentially a removable mid-sole and it supplies ALL of the support for the shoe.  without it, the shoe is a sock.
[close]
[close]
Where are you even seeing that the skate Grosso's are ultracush? Im trying to search and only see the sk8 mid pros from before the revamp having ultracush.

EDIT: Zumiez has it as having popcush
https://www.zumiez.com/vans-skate-grosso-sk8-mid-black-white-skate-shoes.html
[close]

Fourth slide here:

Zumiez also says it has a Wafflecup sole, which is clearly not true either.
[close]
Word. Indeed confusing why this model was given this insole unless it was indeed Jeff's preference.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2021, 04:58:55 PM »
The 3D insoles are EVA so they will form to your feet a little since this is a kinda heat-moldable form of foam... but this means they will eventually pack out and get harder, have less cushion. As opposed to the Pop Cush insoles which all are a resilient PU foam that doesn't really pack out much at all, retains its cushion even being used in multiple pairs of shoes.

I have swapped 3D insoles, original Pop Cush insoles, and the new lower Pop Cush insoles across a few Vans shoes I own, Rowans, Skate Grosso Mids, Old Skool Pros, and Skate Sk8-Hi's, and all seem interchangeable. The top profile may be different, but the bottom of all those insoles is exactly the same shape.

Picked up a pair of the new Grosso Sk8-Mids in red and black for wearing around town. Can confirm that they fit better (to me) than the new Skate Sk8-His and just look sick. 

Interestingly, they do come with the (older?) 3D Ultracush insoles instead of the recut Skate Popcush insoles. They’re a lot harder and plasticky, but with a nice gooey layer on top. I’m curious if anyone has swapped them into any older Pros or new Skate Classics? I don’t really want to go down an insole rabbit hole, but wondering if they’ll feel more supportive and make my feet less sore than the regular or recut Popcush insoles. Basically...anyone notice any significant difference with these?
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2021, 09:18:17 PM »

I've been rotating between the same sets of UltraCush HD insoles in my Vans for quite a while (years).... those don't pack out n just require some cleaning / freshening up.

babywantsbluevelvet

« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2021, 10:37:54 PM »
Thanks for the info—much appreciated. Looks like I’ll be swapping them into my Old Skools and skating them then.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2021, 08:21:14 PM »
Most of the people I know who have the new Vans Skate shoes love them, the upgrade being a welcome change with the shoe being stronger and lasting longer than other versions.

Interesting to hear / see thoughts, but I guess coming from how soft and thin the average Vans Pro shoe was, it is definitely a significant change.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2021, 08:20:29 AM »
Most of the people I know who have the new Vans Skate shoes love them, the upgrade being a welcome change with the shoe being stronger and lasting longer than other versions.

Interesting to hear / see thoughts, but I guess coming from how soft and thin the average Vans Pro shoe was, it is definitely a significant change.

Yup, I've been skating the new skate Lampin for a while now and they still feel really good. The sole didn't sag out as much as the pros did. Still have a pair of AA authentic high on ice and wish they were made with the new improvements. I've seen on AA's last instagram post that new colors are on the way, gonna buy a couple pairs when they come out for sure.

mbam003

« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2021, 07:36:22 AM »
I have had very good experiences with the Authentic and Era Pros so I figured I'd go with what works and ordered Skate Eras in the same size as always. Wore them outside just to break them in, they murdered my both heels very quickly. Tried again in a day - even worse. Now I have big blisters on both of my heels. I'll see what I can do about them, but I'm actually afraid of the things now :-[

And yeah these actually look a lot bulkier than my Era Pros now that I checked. If it's a sizing issue I'll be mad as hell because I have always bought all of my Vans in the same size for years. They didn't seem off walking around in the house. If I had known what I know now I probably would have chosen a non-Skate pair of Vans.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 08:30:01 AM by mbam003 »

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2021, 08:18:47 AM »
Are they fucking with the insoles again? I don’t hate my Ultracush HDs. Had to take em out of the Authentic Pros they came in though. They’re so thick my heel was halfway out of the damn shoe. I actually think I like the insole more than the Auths tbh. Too narrow and stiff.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2021, 10:26:26 PM »
Not that my two cents matter but today I tried on the new sk8 hi, slip on and half cabs and gotta say those were the biggest pieces of shit I've ever put on my feet along with the berle pro. Super stiff and cramped feeling both my true size and half sized up. Ended up buying a pair of Crockett lows and the bmx slip ons with the wafflecup for summer. I'm sorry to the girl at vans who was helping me cause I was coming off as a picky fuck. But I'm glad I tried them all for myself in person, instead of online and being dissatisfied with my purchase.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2021, 07:17:50 AM »
What didn’t you like about them? I really want some AVEs or Chukkas, but the former is pricey and the latter I want a mid and can’t find any. I’m just a little wary because Vans keeps changing shit. Christ, they’ve probably changed the toe box and/or insole every year.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2021, 08:39:28 AM »
What didn’t you like about them? I really want some AVEs or Chukkas, but the former is pricey and the latter I want a mid and can’t find any. I’m just a little wary because Vans keeps changing shit. Christ, they’ve probably changed the toe box and/or insole every year.
AVEs are the same since they came out in 2019. I can't speak on that shoe since I've never tried it on but as far as i know the fits the same.

Chukka boots don't come out in the main line right now. I wish they did but I have no idea how a skate version would feel. They are only used for special drops or from the Anaheim made line. There was a Simpsons Chukka boot that was I think basically a Pro version and had some kinda removable insole and then more recently there was an Anaheim made shoe but I don't know anything about the construction of that one. Both colorways were pretty wild.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2021, 05:05:46 PM »

Honestly I thought they all felt heavy in hand and while trying on both my true size and half size up they just felt very tight and cramped. They were all stiff as well but I prefer that in a shoe so that wasn't a minus in my mind, but the former really irked me as I've never felt that way in any other of the classic vans models I've worn ever. It seems they did try to put a lot of new tech into the classic models but in my opinion was a waste of time, as this tech just doesn't mesh with these vulc vans models.

It has me now looking at the vans bmx line as they still are under the "pro" line of classic shoes and all also have the wafflecup sole, which I think is the best new piece of tech that vans has come out with.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2021, 11:08:34 PM »
I bought the new Sk8 Low and skated them today for 7 hours. I have a wide foot and these shoes felt great. They broke in within 15 minutes of cruising around the park skating transition, manny pads, ledges, and flat. It took a little while longer to get consistent kick flips. Grip was definitely better than any Vans I have had in the last 10 years. I have custom orthotics from my doctor that I use in my shoes so I have no feedback on the PopCush insoles.

I usually skate Lakai or New Balance vulc shoes and it took almost no time to adjust. My only complaint is that they still have single stitching on most of the shoe. Super gluing the stitching in the ollie area was necessary.
How much for an order of ribs?

silpulsar

• Rep: 0
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2021, 08:41:38 AM »

I thought the 3D Ultracush with the plastic molding would give my foot more support, but instead it feels hard as a rock. Switched it out with Footprint insoles because it left my feet hurting. And that's just from house break-in wear.

babywantsbluevelvet

« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2021, 10:11:59 AM »
Gotcha. I've been skating in those Ultracush 3D insoles swapped into the new Skate  Old-Skools and have actually had a good time on them. There are so many variables when it comes to judging insoles, but I've been skating a moderate amount lately and my feet aren't as sore as they were with the Popcush. The Ultracush 3D have more of a work boot feeling--not "comfy" off the bat, but my feet hurt less at the end of the day.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2021, 06:02:01 AM »
I was skating mainly Vans the last couple of years, never again.
Tried the old skools and slip ons and it was the worst experience ever.
They felt like shit. Stiff, not responsive, imposible to wear (specially the slip ons).
Fu Vans
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2021, 10:50:37 AM »
Got a pair of the new slip ons as chillers (no intention of actually skating in them - my feet can't handle it). I hate them, but they also strangely have me interested to try more shoes from the new Skate line. The general changes that they did to the whole line (materials, construction, etc.) all seem good, but I don't know what they were thinking with how the slip-on fits. The Pro slip ons fit me well, but hurt my feet because the sole was so thin, so I thought I'd like the update. I might try the Half Cabs or the Old Skools in the future, but I've learned my lesson with the Skate line about expecting them to fit like previous versions of the same shoe.

Pros:
- I like the new sole - feels more supportive than the old one, and should last longer because of the deeper tread.

- Collar is a little higher in the back than the old Slip On Pros - a little better heel lock, which was an issue with the previous ones.

- They generally seem to be a little better constructed than the old Pro line - stitching looks cleaner, the canvas feels a little sturdier, the foxing is a little higher, and they added some much needed beef to the sole. Specific to the slip-ons, I noticed they stitched the elastic between the lining and the exterior canvas layer instead of underneath both and right up against your foot.

Cons:
- Toebox is way too narrow/thin/pointy - not shaped like any other Vans slip on I've ever worn, and not shaped like any actual human foot I've ever seen. The overall shape feels similar to the Huf Dylan slip on, but I think maybe even a little narrower than that very narrow shoe.

- They fit too long - I could have maybe gone down a half size if they weren't so narrow, but I probably couldn't even get my foot in them if they were any narrower. I didn't plan to skate them anyway, but there's too much space in front of my toes to consider it.

- Despite how narrow they are up front, there's maybe a little too much room in the heel. Doesn't feel very secure back there. This also plays into my 'not shaped like a human foot' commentary.

- Too tight across the top of my foot, even with my orthotics swapped in, which are thinner than the Popcushes. I tried to stretch them out a little before wearing them, but it didn't help much.

- The new cut of the Duracap layer is all wrong. The entire front half of the shoe is basically made of rubber. If the toebox is too narrow for you (which it probably will be), they're not going to stretch out much with all that rubber. I imagine they'll be sweat boxes on a hot day, also.

- The collar is rigid enough and hits in the right spot to destroy my achilles/heel area. I took a 20 minute walk in them last night, and I was bleeding through my socks when I got home.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2021, 12:26:48 PM »
Long time wearer of Vans here, I wanted to share my thoughts on the changes.

-Vans don't work for me with the thick cushioned skate socks, they're just too narrow even though my foot isn't overly wide. I wear plain/non-skate socks from Uniqlo instead.

-The Slip-ons work better as a half-size up on the skate classics compared to the non-skate versions. The insole make the shoes feel too small/tight otherwise.

-The Sk8-hi changes are really nice and I'm enjoying them as my primary skate shoe. I tied the each end separately and use them as slip-ons, they've never fallen off during skating.

-The Zumiez glow Sk8-his are sick but paying $95 was lame.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2021, 12:59:02 PM »
I fucking hate the new Half Cabs.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2021, 03:05:44 PM »
I fucking hate the new Half Cabs.
Weird I really love the new HCs but think they pretty much destroyed the whole point of the slip on, which was my favorite shoe. I kinda wonder what sales and general feedback on the update is. I would say it's trending towards negative here on Slap.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2021, 03:20:40 PM »

Cons:

- Despite how narrow they are up front, there's maybe a little too much room in the heel. Doesn't feel very secure back there. This also plays into my 'not shaped like a human foot' commentary.

- Too tight across the top of my foot, even with my orthotics swapped in, which are thinner than the Popcushes. I tried to stretch them out a little before wearing them, but it didn't help much.

- The new cut of the Duracap layer is all wrong. The entire front half of the shoe is basically made of rubber. If the toebox is too narrow for you (which it probably will be), they're not going to stretch out much with all that rubber. I imagine they'll be sweat boxes on a hot day, also.

I’d actually say all this about my Authentic Pros from last season as well. If I take out the Ultracush the get a little better across the top of my foot, and my heel sits much lower. Still slips out though. Despite having them for almost a year I have worn them about 20 times and they still pinch my toes. I think the duracap will always keep them from fitting correctly.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2021, 11:47:24 PM »
The fit on the new 'skate' slip ons vs the old slip on 'pros' are way too narrow and tight. The previous pros required zero break in where as the new ones can't be skated straight out of the box which sucks.