Author Topic: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line  (Read 22109 times)

mbam003

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2021, 12:08:24 AM »
Got a pair of the new slip ons as chillers (no intention of actually skating in them - my feet can't handle it). I hate them, but they also strangely have me interested to try more shoes from the new Skate line. The general changes that they did to the whole line (materials, construction, etc.) all seem good, but I don't know what they were thinking with how the slip-on fits. The Pro slip ons fit me well, but hurt my feet because the sole was so thin, so I thought I'd like the update. I might try the Half Cabs or the Old Skools in the future, but I've learned my lesson with the Skate line about expecting them to fit like previous versions of the same shoe.

Pros:
- I like the new sole - feels more supportive than the old one, and should last longer because of the deeper tread.

- Collar is a little higher in the back than the old Slip On Pros - a little better heel lock, which was an issue with the previous ones.

- They generally seem to be a little better constructed than the old Pro line - stitching looks cleaner, the canvas feels a little sturdier, the foxing is a little higher, and they added some much needed beef to the sole. Specific to the slip-ons, I noticed they stitched the elastic between the lining and the exterior canvas layer instead of underneath both and right up against your foot.

Cons:
- Toebox is way too narrow/thin/pointy - not shaped like any other Vans slip on I've ever worn, and not shaped like any actual human foot I've ever seen. The overall shape feels similar to the Huf Dylan slip on, but I think maybe even a little narrower than that very narrow shoe.

- They fit too long - I could have maybe gone down a half size if they weren't so narrow, but I probably couldn't even get my foot in them if they were any narrower. I didn't plan to skate them anyway, but there's too much space in front of my toes to consider it.

- Despite how narrow they are up front, there's maybe a little too much room in the heel. Doesn't feel very secure back there. This also plays into my 'not shaped like a human foot' commentary.

- Too tight across the top of my foot, even with my orthotics swapped in, which are thinner than the Popcushes. I tried to stretch them out a little before wearing them, but it didn't help much.

- The new cut of the Duracap layer is all wrong. The entire front half of the shoe is basically made of rubber. If the toebox is too narrow for you (which it probably will be), they're not going to stretch out much with all that rubber. I imagine they'll be sweat boxes on a hot day, also.

- The collar is rigid enough and hits in the right spot to destroy my achilles/heel area. I took a 20 minute walk in them last night, and I was bleeding through my socks when I got home.

Great review, lines up perfectly with my experience. Wish I had complained to the store/Vans when problems first arose. Paid a lot for these and just want to get rid of them already. There have been some big mistakes made with the design of the Era at least and the customers will foot the bill (pun intended).

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2021, 12:30:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Got a pair of the new slip ons as chillers (no intention of actually skating in them - my feet can't handle it). I hate them, but they also strangely have me interested to try more shoes from the new Skate line. The general changes that they did to the whole line (materials, construction, etc.) all seem good, but I don't know what they were thinking with how the slip-on fits. The Pro slip ons fit me well, but hurt my feet because the sole was so thin, so I thought I'd like the update. I might try the Half Cabs or the Old Skools in the future, but I've learned my lesson with the Skate line about expecting them to fit like previous versions of the same shoe.

Pros:
- I like the new sole - feels more supportive than the old one, and should last longer because of the deeper tread.

- Collar is a little higher in the back than the old Slip On Pros - a little better heel lock, which was an issue with the previous ones.

- They generally seem to be a little better constructed than the old Pro line - stitching looks cleaner, the canvas feels a little sturdier, the foxing is a little higher, and they added some much needed beef to the sole. Specific to the slip-ons, I noticed they stitched the elastic between the lining and the exterior canvas layer instead of underneath both and right up against your foot.

Cons:
- Toebox is way too narrow/thin/pointy - not shaped like any other Vans slip on I've ever worn, and not shaped like any actual human foot I've ever seen. The overall shape feels similar to the Huf Dylan slip on, but I think maybe even a little narrower than that very narrow shoe.

- They fit too long - I could have maybe gone down a half size if they weren't so narrow, but I probably couldn't even get my foot in them if they were any narrower. I didn't plan to skate them anyway, but there's too much space in front of my toes to consider it.

- Despite how narrow they are up front, there's maybe a little too much room in the heel. Doesn't feel very secure back there. This also plays into my 'not shaped like a human foot' commentary.

- Too tight across the top of my foot, even with my orthotics swapped in, which are thinner than the Popcushes. I tried to stretch them out a little before wearing them, but it didn't help much.

- The new cut of the Duracap layer is all wrong. The entire front half of the shoe is basically made of rubber. If the toebox is too narrow for you (which it probably will be), they're not going to stretch out much with all that rubber. I imagine they'll be sweat boxes on a hot day, also.

- The collar is rigid enough and hits in the right spot to destroy my achilles/heel area. I took a 20 minute walk in them last night, and I was bleeding through my socks when I got home.
[close]

Great review, lines up perfectly with my experience. Wish I had complained to the store/Vans when problems first arose. Paid a lot for these and just want to get rid of them already. There have been some big mistakes made with the design of the Era at least and the customers will foot the bill (pun intended).

Agreed, spot on review. Should defo send this to Vans so they can fix these annoying cons as there are way too many! The old pros were much better!

The tightness across the top of the foot is the most annoying part!

Coldpizza

• Rep: 161
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2021, 06:30:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Pros:

Cons:

[close]

[close]

Agreed, spot on review. Should defo send this to Vans so they can fix these annoying cons as there are way too many! The old pros were much better!

Chiming in to also say that this review was spot on for me.

Went to pick up a pair of slip ons for the summer, saw the shop had the updated pros & almost bought without trying on. Thankfully I thought maybe I should since they were new, and wow so glad I did. I ended up leaving with a pair of classic slips instead.

Vans have always been such a consistent go to, it’s a bit of a bummer to have such a drastic change to the pro line.

Also, really not feeling the shiny rubber on the duracap.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mbam003

« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2021, 01:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Pros:

Cons:

[close]

[close]

[close]

Went to pick up a pair of slip ons for the summer, saw the shop had the updated pros & almost bought without trying on. Thankfully I thought maybe I should since they were new, and wow so glad I did. I ended up leaving with a pair of classic slips instead.

Vans have always been such a consistent go to, it’s a bit of a bummer to have such a drastic change to the pro line.

Realistically what's the chance of any outcome at all if contacting Vans about it? I know they have plants reading this. Don't really feel like bothering the skate shop people right now about some shoes that have already seen (very light) wear. I can wear my dad's hiking boots that are 1,5 sizes too big no problem, I can wear snowboard boots that are half a size too small. No shoe should make a foot bleed.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2021, 06:07:12 PM »
I just ordered a couple pairs of Half Cab Pros off eBay to keep me going until they either fix the “skate” line or I
switch back to Adidas. The Half Cab “skate” is killing my toes
ableSkateMag.com

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
I just ordered a couple pairs of Half Cab Pros off eBay to keep me going until they either fix the “skate” line or I
switch back to Adidas. The Half Cab “skate” is killing my toes
Went down a similar road. Currently skating slip on pros that I bought just before the skate crap and didn't use them until now and stocking up on Adidas. From what I can find on my current location Adidas are the best shoes for me
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2021, 07:41:26 AM »
Apologies if somebody else has asked this, but are these new Skate Classics at all comparable to the Rowan Pros? The Rowans seem a lot stiffer than the old Pro Classics, but I actually like that about them.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2021, 07:48:24 AM »
Apologies if somebody else has asked this, but are these new Skate Classics at all comparable to the Rowan Pros? The Rowans seem a lot stiffer than the old Pro Classics, but I actually like that about them.

Yes, they were the first to have the new sole (thicker and harder gum that lasts so much longer) but there are also a lot more new features in the rest of the shoe as well.

Overall they are a stiffer longer lasting shoe, which is good for some people (if it fits their foot comfortably) otherwise the break in time and overall thicker stiffer feeling is one that people have not been ready for, so at least on here there are a lot more negative comments.

People I skate with for the most part really like them and I haven't heard many or any really bad comments but I think they are a big change to the usual soft moccasin like shoes that they used to be in the pro line.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2021, 07:53:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, they were the first to have the new sole (thicker and harder gum that lasts so much longer) but there are also a lot more new features in the rest of the shoe as well.

Overall they are a stiffer longer lasting shoe, which is good for some people (if it fits their foot comfortably) otherwise the break in time and overall thicker stiffer feeling is one that people have not been ready for, so at least on here there are a lot more negative comments.

People I skate with for the most part really like them and I haven't heard many or any really bad comments but I think they are a big change to the usual soft moccasin like shoes that they used to be in the pro line.

Okay cool. I thought I heard something akin to this so that makes sense. If/when I get the new Skate Classics I'm definitely gonna try them on in person first but most of the experiences I'm reading sound similar to how I felt about the Rowans at first but they've grown to become one of my favorite shoes.

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2021, 07:55:47 AM »
I can only vouch for the new slip ons but seems like they've made all of the new skate shoes too narrow.

The new slips ons are so tight across the middle and top of the foot now it cuts off blood circulation. The old pros were way better!

You would've thought after speaking to all their skaters and apparently having done tons of market research they would've known to leave them as they were.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Okay cool. I thought I heard something akin to this so that makes sense. If/when I get the new Skate Classics I'm definitely gonna try them on in person first but most of the experiences I'm reading sound similar to how I felt about the Rowans at first but they've grown to become one of my favorite shoes.
Please, don't loose time and money with vans skate crap. Rowans are ok tho.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

babywantsbluevelvet

« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2021, 10:41:49 AM »
The new Skate Old Skools are a winner for me. I loved the old skool pros and I like the update even more. On the other hand, the slip ons and half cabs are too tight across the top of my feet too. It's like they press the ball of my foot flat against the insole and more of the ball of my foot smacks the ground when I bail or run out on transition. Had to pass them on after a couple weeks of them not getting any comfier.

I wish they'd add the new tread depth to the Crockett Hi. Anyone else notice how the heels go quick on those?

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Pros:

Cons:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Realistically what's the chance of any outcome at all if contacting Vans about it? I know they have plants reading this. Don't really feel like bothering the skate shop people right now about some shoes that have already seen (very light) wear. I can wear my dad's hiking boots that are 1,5 sizes too big no problem, I can wear snowboard boots that are half a size too small. No shoe should make a foot bleed.

If you don't try - you don't get ;)

--

No surprise that every other skater you see these days are in adidas, Nike or New Balance...(sigh)

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 54
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »
I agree that they run a bit more narrow but the other changes make them a far better skate shoe IMO. My feet couldn't stand the Pro Series. Neither could my podiatrist and physical therapist. The changes make the shoes better for feet, the sole is much grippier, and they are holding up much better for me. I am on my 5th session in the sk8 lows. I have some Half Cabs and Skate Sports on reserve.

I tried on 2 pairs of the Half Cabs in the same size. Bot h were a little narrow in the toe but only one was too tight on the top of my foot. I have a shoe stretcher that works wonders. I will use it on the Half Cabs before I skate them.

My backside flips came back better than they have been in a long time with the Skate sk8 lows. Stoked.
How much for an order of ribs?

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
^^ See, that's where I am on the Skate line. As much as I really did not like the slip-ons that I bought, my issues were entirely to do with the fit of that specific shoe. The solution for me would not be to bring back the Slip On Pro because that one had its own set of issues for me - mainly that the sole was too thin and floppy.

Even though the slip ons fit me terribly, I actually like the changes they made to the construction; especially the sole. I'm sour on Vans right now because of my experience with the slip ons, but the new sole is encouraging to me, and may try another model in the future. I couldn't try on the slip-ons that I bought because we're still in covid lockdown where I live, but I may give it another shot when stuff opens up again and I can try on a few different models before I spend more money. The updates to the Skate line may actually make Vans vulcs wearable to me, which they haven't been for years.

For the slip-ons at least, they fixed the construction (which I hated before), but wrecked the fit (which was fine before). If I can find another model that does fit, then I think the Skate line is good.

indigenous_nudity

• Rep: 13
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2021, 08:21:53 PM »
here is my initial review of the skate eras:

pops

• Rep: 234
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2021, 01:55:09 AM »
here is my initial review of the skate eras:

Could you tell why is your situation fault of Eras?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2021, 07:33:55 AM »
Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

My skate half cabs worked out for me. This is a month in and usually I'm retiring shoes around this point. My pair still feels firm in the sole (there's a hard plastic shank from the midfoot to the heel that makes them feel great. Fit was great and I have a thick foot so it's weird seeing ppl finding them too tight from the top down. Tread is still essentially perfect but I rarely wear down the sole before the upper. The ollie hole just formed last session and I usually get them within the first week when I skated classic cabs. Theres still the rubber underlay and the think shoe goo I put over that to get through. Overall, I'm very happy with the changes.

My only dumb gripe is I wish the half cab logo was embroidered like the classics instead of the stitched on flag like it is here. Oh also both heels had a small tear from when I jammed my foot into the shoes without unlacing enough.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1571
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »
I went to the outlets in Commerce, CA and they still have half cab pros, skate hi pros, and I think old school pros and slip ons as well.  I got the last pair of half cabs in size 12 I think. 

Their memorial day weekend special was buy a pair and get 50% off a sale shoe.  Basically, I got two pairs of shoes for about 50 each after tax.  Not that bad, but not that great either.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2021, 06:13:47 AM »
A local shop had 30% off all Vans plus 10% off everything, so 40% off some new Vans Skate Sk8 Low were too good to pass up. * Yes that is such a mouthful to say, Skate Sk8 Low shoes, but I had been eyeing them off for a while now.

Anyway, shoes arrived today, just put them on to stand in them for a minute and just didn't take them off, so more than half a day later, after wearing them and even having a bit of a skate in them, I can say they are amazing and definitely a great upgrade from the older Vans Pro range that I have had, these ones being so supportive right from go, no issues with blisters or feeling uncomfortable and I didn't change out a single thing with the insole or anything, which is very surprising for me.

A couple of things to note, I go between 11 (too tight) and 12 (too loose) in the fit, but I think the older I get the more the 12 fits better than the 11.  In Australia, there are no half sizes but I have bought lots of 11.5 over the years from US shops, which are a good in between size for me.

These Sk8 low shoes are 12 and don't feel overly big at all, with a good amount of toe room, not tight or uncomfortable in any area at all, no heel rub, no pinky toe squish and no issue with my usually painful big toe nails if the shoe is too tight in length or height, so I was pretty happy.

Given the old Vans Pro range were fairly snug but so very soft overall, I just fit ok in 11 only after stretching, but then the 12 were so big and floppy on me right from go and only got worse as they aged, I was more keen on the tighter shoes, but the new Skate range are way more snug and a tougher shoe than the Pro, so maybe try a half size up from your usual size in the Vans Skate range and the shoes might fit a whole lot better on you than what you might have bought.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:22:45 AM by Mbrimson88 »

mbam003

« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2021, 10:14:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Pros:

Cons:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you don't try - you don't get ;)

--

No surprise that every other skater you see these days are in adidas, Nike or New Balance...(sigh)

I did contact Vans about it and they seemed open to finding a solution, but they still asked me to go to the retailer with my case (and get back to them if the retailer is not helpful). I did not feel like dealing with retailers and sending shoes back for some lousy expert evaluation so I decided to stick with the Skate Eras. I have managed to soften them up a bit and they are not murdering my heel anymore. In the future I will probably try a different shoe or wear the Skate Eras indoors for a while before taking them outside. The serious heel rubbing aside, they're a pretty nice shoe. I already "cheated" with some Nikes as I was hating the Skate Eras so I will see how those are, but they seem extremely comfortable out of the box.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2021, 12:59:30 PM »
I went to the outlets in Commerce, CA and they still have half cab pros, skate hi pros, and I think old school pros and slip ons as well.  I got the last pair of half cabs in size 12 I think. 

Their memorial day weekend special was buy a pair and get 50% off a sale shoe.  Basically, I got two pairs of shoes for about 50 each after tax.  Not that bad, but not that great either.
You inspired me to finally take a trip out there yesterday since I had been hearing about deals at the Vans outlet. I wish I could say I came up on some great deals but it was just OK. I didn't see any more Half Cab Pros in the place and most of the Pro stuff was pretty picked. AVEs were $80 so not a wild deal that I've never seen anywhere before. Mostly I was there to hoard Slip On Pros and wound up walking away with 2 pairs - one black/black and one oatmeal/gum @$80 before tax. It was a deal but not the mad outlet price I was dreaming of. The beat thing about it is they still have neutral colorways of most of their classic Pro models in various sizes but they are selling them for $5 off list price. The BOHO deal made it possible to get a discount but I had to wrangle to get one white tag and one orange tag. $5 off a discontinued shoe is a pretty crummy price point.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2021, 04:26:10 AM »
I ended up at a Vans outlet yesterday and grabbed 2 pairs of half Cab pros. $65 a pair is not a great deal, but it's better than retail and I am stocked for a bit which is nice. Was a bit surprised that the sales person (non-skater) knew the details of the pro line being cancelled and what all the changes for the classic line are.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2021, 04:38:27 AM »
I ended up at a Vans outlet yesterday and grabbed 2 pairs of half Cab pros. $65 a pair is not a great deal, but it's better than retail and I am stocked for a bit which is nice. Was a bit surprised that the sales person (non-skater) knew the details of the pro line being cancelled and what all the changes for the classic line are.

Gold star for that person then!

It is sad that people who actually know anything about the product are in the minority.  Whether they use it or not is irrelevant, but it is always cool to see a few people I know in Vans stores who have a passion for what they do and keep up on all the current info.

I wonder though as it is such a big change, if they haven't had it drilled into them by management so they do know what is going on and are able to keep customers informed as to what is happening with the old lines going and the new lines coming in.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2021, 12:47:03 PM »
What is the consensus on the Skate Sk8-Hi?
Always wanted to try them.

How high are they on the foot? Will my ankle feel secured?
IG: @flowterspace

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2021, 01:33:21 PM »
i second this ^^ lots of half cab talk and not enough sk8-hi comparison
good come sausage

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2021, 08:00:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It is sad that people who actually know anything about the product are in the minority.  Whether they use it or not is irrelevant, but it is always cool to see a few people I know in Vans stores who have a passion for what they do and keep up on all the current info.

I wonder though as it is such a big change, if they haven't had it drilled into them by management so they do know what is going on and are able to keep customers informed as to what is happening with the old lines going and the new lines coming in.
I was in a vans store and tried on the skate half cab and era's
I ended up grabbing both they were on sale.   Both sales people knew enough about the new line the young lady said she'd just watch some doco on Cab . They was pleasent enough.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2021, 07:55:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I ended up grabbing both they were on sale.   Both sales people knew enough about the new line the young lady said she'd just watch some doco on Cab . They was pleasent enough.

Was that the Vans shop at Warringah Mall, Brookvale?  Such a tiny store upstairs and down the far end as I saw, when I was working all round the country back in 2017.

I also find it curious that so many new "Skate" styles are already on sale in Vans stores and online AU, but at least for the customer, that is a good thing.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2021, 09:29:04 AM »
What is the consensus on the Skate Sk8-Hi?
Always wanted to try them.

How high are they on the foot? Will my ankle feel secured?

I love the new Sk8-Hi and it's the shoe I skate 95% of the time.

They're high enough on the foot to cover the ankle bone on the side so even if you land on the side of your foot, its not bone against the ground.

My ankle feels secure enough to use them as slip-ons if I want. I tied the shoelace ends on a couple of pairs and just slide them on and skate. They've never fallen off when skating like this. Tying them works well to make your ankle feel even more secure (but I don't find the laces long enough for the last eyelet). I've also never rolled my ankle bad in them.

The best part of Sk8-His is that the position of the shoelace avoids the "kickflip area" so I've never worn down a pair of laces wearing them (Half-cabs almost broke a lace on the first sesh so they're casual shoes for me now).

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2021, 10:26:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Was that the Vans shop at Warringah Mall, Brookvale?  Such a tiny store upstairs and down the far end as I saw, when I was working all round the country back in 2017.

I also find it curious that so many new "Skate" styles are already on sale in Vans stores and online AU, but at least for the customer, that is a good thing.

Yeah it was and that mall is horrible
but I've been around here forever and unfortunately its a part of life

As for sales I paid $59 for the skate era's and I'm pretty happy with that