Author Topic: Skating switch  (Read 973 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Skating switch
« on: March 12, 2021, 01:30:27 PM »
Since I'm still rolling on a weak pushing foot and can't do much other than no comply stalls on the back steps, I figure its time to learn how to push and do basic shit switch (goofy). I pushed back and forth, working on pivots and tic tacs, nose stall reverts for about 30min today and it was cool. Trying to turn blindside was actually disorienting but remembering to turn the shoulders was helpful in making it happen. Not really sure that I'll be able to pop regs again for a while, so this is a good way to at least make the 10 or so feet of space I have to skate a little more interesting.

I feel like the relative immobilization of my dominant foot and having to rebuild the fast twitch muscles makes this a perfect time skate switch!

Anyone have suggestions or stuff to try or keep in mind? I'm trying to come at this with the beginners mind, untainted by 20something years of funky regular skating habits. Agree or not, that dude whose been posting about training and all that has made me, a person who has to work hard to skate well, start thinking about the micro movements and working to develop good habits that allow me to keep skating as I get older. Thanks homies
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Skating switch
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 01:32:58 PM »
Obviously get comfortable with pushing around, turning, rolling off curbs etc switch.

In terms of actual switch tricks, you really just gotta do it. One thing I find however is that not all switch tricks are direct mirrors of your regular tricks. Its ok to use your regular tricks as a reference but definitely don't force yourself to copy it 1:1 as often shoulders, technique and foot positioning will vary a good amount.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 02:33:37 PM »
I’ll never understand it when people say “[trick name] are easier switch for me”.  That must be a cool feeling.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 06:51:24 AM »
Number one suggestion is get comfortable pushing and cruising. Then add ollies up/down curbs. Work on flip tricks as feels comfortable. Being comfortable pushing comes in handy, especially when cruising around a city all day. When your front leg gets tired just switch stances.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 09:12:36 AM »
I’ll never understand it when people say “[trick name] are easier switch for me”.  That must be a cool feeling.

"Frontside regular, backside switch. Figure it out, cuz it's true" (Bam Margera, 2001)

Side note but that quote always tripped me out as someone who's wired the complete opposite way (I guess like any average skater).

Re: switch, I always skated switch but only after 20 years or so I started finding myself interested in occasionally pushing switch right as opposed to the good ol' trustworthy swongo, not because I want to contradict my instincts but because I want to elaborate on them and it just seems like one more fun thing to learn how to do. I'd say that's probably the most fun approach when it comes to looking comfortable pushing switch, just do it every now and then whenever you feel like it (that's skating in a nutshell though) unless your aim is to look symmetrical. Some tricks are easier in a stance or another because one's feet have different levels of dexterity (which is exactly what the average skater needs to train for the imaginary wall that is switch flips), and also because skating a certain way for a long time conditions your habits in terms of posture accordingly which actually helps on some of the opposite-footed stuff.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:23:38 AM by silhouette »

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 06:21:34 AM »
Switch tre, switch bs 360, switch fs anything. Any trick that involves scooping feels twice as easy to do switch because the back foot is the strong and calculated one from doing the precise flicking motions and holding most of your balance while you push for so many years. Getting comfortable is all about pushing switch all day and re learning every basic you can think of (rolling in to steep banks, ollieing stairs, manuals, etc). You’re gonna feel stupid the first few months, but after 6 months- 1 year you’ll be impressing all the homies

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 07:43:26 AM »
after 6 months- 1 year you’ll be impressing all the homies

a.k.a. Skateboarding: The Master Quest.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 06:16:25 PM »
ayeeee. good looks on all the tips, amigos! I pushed around switch for about a half hour today and was able to ollie up a curb and ride off. pretty stoked.

something I found helpful was to look forward while pushing and carving, rather than trying to look down at my feet. I realized that it's not like I'm trying to set up for a trick the whole time, that pushing around isn't really a trick that I need to set up for. You know what I mean? I'm not staring at my feet skating regs. I also practiced getting my shoulders and hips super loose, kinda just swinging them all around while riding. yyeeeehaw

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »
ayeeee. good looks on all the tips, amigos! I pushed around switch for about a half hour today and was able to ollie up a curb and ride off. pretty stoked.

something I found helpful was to look forward while pushing and carving, rather than trying to look down at my feet. I realized that it's not like I'm trying to set up for a trick the whole time, that pushing around isn't really a trick that I need to set up for. You know what I mean? I'm not staring at my feet skating regs. I also practiced getting my shoulders and hips super loose, kinda just swinging them all around while riding. yyeeeehaw

One thing I noticed with pushing switch is that my front foot is pointed straight forwards in the direction I'm rolling instead of sitting at a slight angle which is the case with regular pushing. Makes it feel a lot more natural

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 08:47:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One thing I noticed with pushing switch is that my front foot is pointed straight forwards in the direction I'm rolling instead of sitting at a slight angle which is the case with regular pushing. Makes it feel a lot more natural

yes!!! this is something I was messing around with today as well. when my front foot was at a slight angle, as it would be skating regs, I would end up skating toward the right, or in the direction my heel was pointed in. I've gotta play with it more and shit, but I think it's due to weight being distributed more to the heel, thus pulling to the right. Trippy shit!!!